Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 13, 2018 3:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh, I kinda like some of these older characters joining the trip. They seem pretty knowledgable.

Mari and her group had to do a lot to manage and learn. Of course, this includes managing their water supplies. Their uniforms look kinda generic but I think it suits them well for this trip. (with a penguin logo to with it!)

Pretty nice episode with the development. I'm sure this entire experience for Mari and the others will be memorable.
Feb 13, 2018 6:34 AM

Dec 2014
Fantastic episode once again.

Shirase getting wrecked by the recordings. XD
She's adorable when she's blushing while trying to do the reports.

It a lot of fun watching the girls explore the ship.
There's a little worry about whether they can all truly make it to Antartica but I'm glad the ship's crew are determined bunch and are really passionate about going to Antartica. :)

The second half of this episode was absolutely brilliant.

The sneaking stuff was gold. XD
I loved Hinata's demeanor through the whole sneaking thing, the other three were taking it so seriously and Hinata is totally like 'Really?'. XDD

The glow paint reflecting the starry sky that Shirase's Mom saw was great.

Loved the flashback of Shirase's Mom and the rest of the crew, it looks like Shirase's Mom passed away trying to find some kind of worthwhile research during their expedition. :(
I really liked how Gin mentioned that despite all the setbacks the crew still came back because deep down they all still want to see the same sight they saw three years ago. Beautiful ship isn't it?

The introduction were lovely and got me real emotional, Shirase finally spoke from her heart. <3
I laughed when she started saying she was here to do witty reporting but I couldn't help but cheer with everyone at the end about going to Antarctica.

This episode gave so much meaning to the title and it was beautiful.

"Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho, it's not a prison, a place trapped in ice. It's a place, still unopened yet filled with endless possibilities. Earth's greatest treasure chest"

Lelouch0202Feb 13, 2018 6:38 AM
Feb 13, 2018 6:40 AM

Jul 2014
This was already obvious but... this anime will take us on a feels trip.. wont it.
Those subtle gestures after mentioning that "we'll go, with these members.. to that place" BGM kicks in and Shirase looks at them and they were all sort of down... that hit the damn spot... I wanna know what happened! in detail to her mom.

Hopefully none of our main cast gets the same fate as Shirase's mom, I grew to like all 4 of them.

Anyways, by far the best ep, cant wait for whats in store for them, looking at post credits they may have their hands full nep, those waves looks damn eerie.
Feb 13, 2018 6:47 AM

Jul 2015
Welcome to the feels ship. Tissues should be at hand all the time during your trip.

We are probably going to visit the place Shirase's mother died.

Feb 13, 2018 6:51 AM

Apr 2016
Jesus man, the feels!

Also everything is possible with the right crew!

Want to see more.
Feb 13, 2018 7:05 AM

Jan 2012
Checking out their vessel, a bit of backstory, and the crew's morale. Or lack thereof. Well at least Shirase's self-introduction got a nice response. Good luck girls!
Feb 13, 2018 7:42 AM

Dec 2015
This episode was so emotional.

I had the biggest smile on my face at the introduction scene. The amount of inspiration it gives...

5/5

Feb 13, 2018 7:43 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Given the issues its no surprise that they will be worried. Yuzuki's reaction to Kanae's words though was unexpected. The revelation about Shirase's mother and the events that transpired there was interesting though. It also explains why this expedition was so understaffed. The determination of the expedition members to continue on with the mission was heartwarming considering the sacrifices that they had to make. The intro session by the girls though was cute. Hina's intro was so like her though but Shirase was the best.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2018 7:53 AM

Apr 2013
I love these goofballs so much.
Feb 13, 2018 7:54 AM
Mar 2015
Things were not looking good for the trip,but the girls were able to raise the morale of the crew in the end
Feb 13, 2018 7:54 AM
Nov 2010
Another beautiful episode. Someone please tell me the BGM playing during their speech at the end. It was so fitting.
*edit* rewatched this scene like 6x times now.

High school girls in ski masks. Gold.
DannimeFeb 13, 2018 8:06 AM
Feb 13, 2018 8:31 AM

Sep 2008
This started out as a simple show but it gets deeper and more complex with every episode. I have to say it's now my favorite anime of the season. 5/5
Feb 13, 2018 8:41 AM

Feb 2018
The best moment of the week and it always feels so short. I wish the episodes were double length (sigh). Also, I have the same feeling with most of the episodes: It starts quite normally, I fear there'll be filler to some extent and then it gets steadily better and the feel scouter escalates up to over 9000. The first half of the episode sets the path for the second.

In the end we got a bit of everything: Important revelations on the past expedition (it was about time), comedic scenes and character development (Shirase only this time, though). The post-ending scene also promises an intense next chapter.

Episodes 5 and 6 set very high expectations for me regarding the upcoming ones, I'm very pleased to see that not only they don't go down but they continue to increase.

We're off now, the journey starts! To a place further than the Universe!

And remember: They're not legal. Toshio, did you get it?
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Feb 13, 2018 8:46 AM

Dec 2017
“They are not legal” lmao
Finally embarking on the next episode, I hope, but that post-credit scene looks harsh. And now we know how Shirase’s mom looks like ^^
Feb 13, 2018 9:07 AM

Nov 2008
the legal bit lol ; But yeah we learn more of the past and .. of what they want for the future - I continue to enjoy the girls growth both as a group and individuals. It was very nice to see Shirases mother doing her thing... and were a bit closer to finding out what exactly happened. I think thats a drama bit coming in a future ep... But t hey are off to Antarctica .. and if the after ED scene is anything to say the seas are rough.
Feb 13, 2018 9:08 AM

Sep 2013
Good that they didn't focus on fremantle port, it's an embarrassment.
The cake squad flashbacks :'(
The expedition is not at it's best and looks like some bad things might happen, starvation due to lack of food might be one of them.
Shirase talking loud at the end :)
Feb 13, 2018 9:13 AM

Sep 2015
I've gotten teary eyed in one way or another in almost every single episode now. This show has been easily my most looked forward to show to watch this season.

Credit goes to the guys at Minimalistic-Animoo Deviantart Group for the vectors.
Feb 13, 2018 9:32 AM

Apr 2010
Looks like the girls made it somehow and now the trip on the ship is starting and it seems there where already some issues about the trip.
The girls sneaking around to find out what it was, was very funny to watch.
Feb 13, 2018 9:55 AM

Jun 2015
Very good episode. The not legal part was amusing. There has been issues about the trip and the morale of the crew was low, but that didn't stop anyone from pushing forward. The cheering at the end was great.
Feb 13, 2018 9:56 AM

Sep 2013
Nice episode. Slowly but finally I can feel the adventure climate in this series
Feb 13, 2018 10:00 AM

Feb 2018
Aversa said:

I was thinking those three must have been really drunk to not notice them XD
"The world appears wonderful in the eyes of wonderful people." (Alicia Florence, ARIA)
Feb 13, 2018 10:03 AM
Mar 2017
"But they are not LEGAL."
In Antarctica there are no laws, OBASAN.
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Feb 13, 2018 10:21 AM

Dec 2017
BGM + Shirase's speech was amazing at the end.

Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Feb 13, 2018 11:08 AM

Apr 2010
AbeldeMedici said:
Aversa said:

I was thinking those three must have been really drunk to not notice them XD
Yes especially if you consider that everyone who was walking by was looking at them and not at the drunk guys.
Feb 13, 2018 11:11 AM

Oct 2014
oh wow next episode is the journey on the ship.
They all seem to be enjoying working on this anime.

Which worries me, of super convenient ending,
or worst case of the open
"We'll fight another day but for now good luck praying and funding for season 2, everyone!" ending.
I know this anime started out from leftover money from NGNL project or something of the sort, but at this point you guys are enjoying doing this too much, if we don't get a proper long story, everyone will end up feel a little... unfulfilled. Fans and creators alike.
So... I hope that this series can live by itself. Being as big as NGNL is hard but I only hope it lives.
Revvie-chanFeb 13, 2018 11:20 AM
Feb 13, 2018 11:16 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This show balances humour and feels so well. Really enjoying it.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 13, 2018 11:42 AM

Feb 2014
"These girls are not legal." Oh man did this part crack me up! XD

I'd admire the spirit of everyone who is part of this civilian expedition, but the journey of getting to the point we are at now has been a tough one for Kanae and the others, with the lack of funds and sponsors being a tough hurdle to get over.

It wasn't all feels though, as this episode had plenty of silly, humorous moments that make me like the main cast even more than I already do now. Mari and Hinata's trick to scare the other two was certainly sneaky, but funny. =3

I hope that the whole trip goes well, although judging by the intense waves at the end, I do worry that there'll be more feels on the way. D=
Feb 13, 2018 11:46 AM

Oct 2015
That ending speech with the OST got me crying, I'm loving this series so much.

(also I need the name of that BGM)
Feb 13, 2018 11:56 AM

Oct 2009
I think that Shirase's mother is still alive somewhere.....at least I hope so.
Feb 13, 2018 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
Adventure show done right. wish it was 2 cour
Feb 13, 2018 12:00 PM

Feb 2018
Meta_Yoshi said:
Mari and Hinata's trick to scare the other two was certainly sneaky, but funny. =3

It was totally "There's only one possible explanation for this expedition..."
Feb 13, 2018 12:07 PM

Nov 2017
Guys.... This show... I can't anymore.

No other show has made me laugh and cry as many times and as consistently as this one has. (in 7 episodes no less) I'm practically speechless.

Amazing thing number one: in ONE episode... O N E. We are FULLY invested in the entire adult cast and this journey PLUS...PLUS... I fell in love with shirase's mother in what? 3 flashbacks?? Who has ever depicted an anime and its characters so incredibly realistic before? Showing us That the adults are the same as all the kids, they all want to discover the possibilities of the universe and live life to the fullest.

Amazing thing number two: Gang...Like i tried to hold it in at the end. Shirase is blurting out her emotions and god bless me, I just couldn't hold it. Coming in quick consecutive punches like i had the emotional hiccups. For what should've just been a filler, setup, transitional. semi-nothing episode guys.. like.. damn.

I don't know what else to say... or better yet where to start.

Fuck i love this show
Feb 13, 2018 12:34 PM

Sep 2017
I love this show,it truly a hidden gem and i wish more people would talk and rave about it as for ME its the show of the season,like seriously.

I really hope her mother isn’t dead although i kind of guess she is as i dont see how she would survive there for a whole 3 years but yeah,i can feel the feels coming ;(
Also,does anyone know the song that plays near the very end when they are doing speeches?its really good but i cant find it anywhere?( ◠‿◠ )

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Feb 13, 2018 1:01 PM

Jun 2017
They did say there is a research station in antarctica so I wonder, what if Shirase's mom actually made it back but decided not to go home and stayed silent for 3 years? Either way, the feel train will probably hit us at full speed at the end.
Feb 13, 2018 1:12 PM

Sep 2016
Shirase, can't you see? You're just not the girl for me
I know it might be wrong, but I'm in love with Shirase's mom

Does anyone know of a way to resurrect dead anime characters? (Please don't say fan art, please don't say fan art, please don't say fan art!)

No, seriously, Shirase's mom is a serious contender for best girl of the season.

tookawaiii said:
Also,does anyone know the song that plays near the very end when they are doing speeches?its really good but i cant find it anywhere?( ◠‿◠ )

I think it's called ハルカトオク, by saya, going by the ending credits.
nerdokingoftrashFeb 13, 2018 1:22 PM
Yet these hands will never hold anything.
Thus I pray, Unlimited Waifu Works!

Feb 13, 2018 1:24 PM

Nov 2016
This was a pretty amazing episode again.

The flashback of Shirases mom and her friends taking the trip,the sneeking part and the introduction all of this made it a great watch,covering the whole spectrum from comedy to feels.Last part really made me tear up a little bit.

I also like that we have now a better understanding of,what the title of this anime actually means.

4,5/5

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 13, 2018 1:25 PM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Wholesome and heartfelt, i'm fully into it since the last episode, more so than before.

Hearing the details of the expedition plan and the flashback of Shirase's mom was really hard to watch, they suffered and they still suffer from the loss but the theme of determination was greatly used.

Shirase's speech was brilliant.
Feb 13, 2018 1:32 PM

Oct 2017
This show IS definitely by far my most favourite this entire season, each episode keeps getting better and better, topping off the last every time. Anyways, from the episode, it seems that disasters gonna befall the main cast soon and man... I really don't want anything to happen to them. I'm growing more and more attached to them each episode, gonna miss it once the finale comes in a while.

That preview though just gives me chills to whats gonna happen in the next episode. Disaster to the ship? maybe..

Overall, plot keeps getting better, and the character development and such keeps getting WAY BETTER. I love madhouse so much for this gem.

Btw, I need those OSTs rn, they're all SO GOOD.
Feb 13, 2018 2:17 PM

Nov 2007
Keeping up constant quality.
Feb 13, 2018 2:25 PM
Jul 2018
I love these girls and the slice of life. Embarrassed Shirase is adorable. Another great episode from a great show. Looking forward to next week!
Feb 13, 2018 2:30 PM
Nov 2017
HANG ON A MINUTE! Shirase's mum did not die, both Shirase and the flashback hinted/showed that she had merely 'disappeared'. Maybe later on they go on a search for her, or they find her and have a heartwarming renunion or (even darker) they find the place where she died, and find a body or something...
Feb 13, 2018 2:32 PM
Jan 2017
This is shaping up to be one of the best shows of the season, at least in my opinion. This episode excels in the character moments between the main girls and the supporting players. Normally, I would complain that the series devotes too much time towards the characters rather than the main narrative, which is the journey to Antarctica, but it's getting clear to me that the characters are the heart of the story and the journey is merely the means that bring them together. You might disagree with such notion but that's what I think now that the series has reached the halfway point. Hopefully, the show will keep delivering great episodes like this one.
Feb 13, 2018 2:43 PM

Oct 2010
For the first time in its run, I am truly and absolutely lost for words. I just... can't. This is essential viewing now, that's all I'm going to say.
Feb 13, 2018 3:02 PM

Jul 2017
Another great episode with the usual mix of laughter and feels. Apart from the ninja scene my highlights mainly surrounded Shirase and her mum:

-How stretchy is her mums face!
-Shirase's so nervous
-Sent to the naughty step ("worthless" seems a bit harsh)
-Her face (the eyes especially) when looking at the glow-in-the-dark stars.
-Her mum seems more out going
-And she must have kept her dream of going to Antarctica alive for a while as we see her in a high school uniform (same as Shirases?), but obviously went on to have a child first.
-Shirases speach was rousing.

The whole thing about lack of funds, resources and people had me worried that the makers of the show had found something to keep them from going for a few more episodes, but the post-credit scene suggests they will be on their way next week. The Southern Ocean is the most dangerous expanse of water in the world because there is no land mass to break up storms, so the water gets really rough.

nerdokingoftrash said:

tookawaiii said:

Apocality said:

I've ordered the OP and ED CDs from CDJapan. They're released on the 21st. The tracklist for the OP is:

The Girls Are Alright! (TVアニメ「宇宙よりも遠い場所」OPテーマ)
ハルカトオク (TVアニメ「宇宙よりも遠い場所」挿入歌)
宇宙を見上げて (TVアニメ「宇宙よりも遠い場所」挿入歌)
The Girls Are Alright! (instrumental)

And the ED:
KOKO KARA.KOKO KARA / TAMAKI MARI(CV:MINASE INORI) (From the credits of the show it's all of them, not just Inori)
ここから、ここから / 玉木マリ(CV:水瀬いのり)
ONE STEP / TAMAKI MARI(CV:MINASE INORI)
One Step / 玉木マリ(CV:水瀬いのり)
KOKO KARA.KOKO KARA
ここから、ここから (instrumental)
ONE STEP
One Step (instrumental)
D1tchd1ggerFeb 13, 2018 3:26 PM
Feb 13, 2018 3:42 PM

Apr 2015
Having been in Fremantle myself 2 years ago, it was cool to see the market building of Fremantle in this episode. Brings me back to a great trip.

Lots of preparations being made. Shirase at the beginning was so awkward but at the end she got her act together when she needed to.

Loved Hinata's introduction to the rest of the crew, pointed out the things why I like her a lot.

Nice to see some more of Shirase's mum and the relationship she had with the 2 (now slightly older) girls joining on the expedition.

Can't help but laugh when I saw this....

Their journey will start for real now, a rough ocean seperating them from main land and Antartica, I wonder what drama they might encounter...
CeddyyBearrFeb 13, 2018 3:49 PM
Feb 13, 2018 3:49 PM
Oct 2016
D1tchd1gger said:
Another great episode with the usual mix of laughter and feels. Apart from the ninja scene my highlights mainly surrounded Shirase and her mum:

-How stretchy is her mums face!
-Shirase's so nervous
-Sent to the naughty step ("worthless" seems a bit harsh)
-Her face (the eyes especially) when looking at the glow-in-the-dark stars.
-Her mum seems more out going
-And she must have kept her dream of going to Antarctica alive for a while as we see her in a high school uniform (same as Shirases?), but obviously went on to have a child first.
-Shirases speach was rousing.

The whole thing about lack of funds, resources and people had me worried that the makers of the show had found something to keep them from going for a few more episodes, but the post-credit scene suggests they will be on their way next week. The Southern Ocean is the most dangerous expanse of water in the world because there is no land mass to break up storms, so the water gets really rough.

nerdokingoftrash said:

Apocality said:

I've ordered the OP and ED CDs from CDJapan. They're released on the 21st. The tracklist for the OP is:

The Girls Are Alright! (TVアニメ「宇宙よりも遠い場所」OPテーマ)
ハルカトオク (TVアニメ「宇宙よりも遠い場所」挿入歌)
宇宙を見上げて (TVアニメ「宇宙よりも遠い場所」挿入歌)
The Girls Are Alright! (instrumental)

And the ED:
KOKO KARA.KOKO KARA / TAMAKI MARI(CV:MINASE INORI) (From the credits of the show it's all of them, not just Inori)
ここから、ここから / 玉木マリ(CV:水瀬いのり)
ONE STEP / TAMAKI MARI(CV:MINASE INORI)
One Step / 玉木マリ(CV:水瀬いのり)
KOKO KARA.KOKO KARA
ここから、ここから (instrumental)
ONE STEP
One Step (instrumental)

Considering their voice actor cast, isnt it possible that they releasing some more character song later?
I mean, who wouldnt buy Kana Hana, Minse Inori, Iguchi Yuka and Hayami Saori's song?
Feb 13, 2018 4:16 PM

May 2015
Oh god, I'm not ready for the feels to come....

Amazing episode as usual.

Feb 13, 2018 4:19 PM

May 2015
Another absolutely beautiful episode. Wish I could rate this a 20/10, by far the best show to come out this season if no the past few years
billybubFeb 13, 2018 5:03 PM
Feb 13, 2018 4:36 PM

Dec 2015
I honestly did not expect the feels to come this early on in the series.

The post-credit scene is making me quite concerned about safety of the ship's crew. Hopefully everyone makes it there safely.

Can't wait for the next episode.
"Anime is trash and so am I."
Feb 13, 2018 5:17 PM
Oct 2017
Favorite anime of the season
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.