Forum Settings
Forums

Is it disrespectful for men to swear in front of women?

New
Feb 10, 2018 9:30 PM

Apr 2014
These days people swear their heads off! Not me though, I barely swear irl and occasionally I might online but I don't feel as naughty doing it because I'm not physically saying the word. Anyhow, I don't like it when I'm out and a bunch of guys are there swearing among themselves for everyone to hear, especially when it's in front of women and old people. I know for a fact that my pop doesn't like it, because I guess he's just old school and I'm pretty sure in the olden days swearing was something men would only do with other men, and without girls around. I think it's okay to swear in front of women when you know the person and in a controlled environment, however, when it's in front of strangers around you it's just low class.

Give me your thoughts!
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 10, 2018 9:32 PM

Jul 2016
No I get nervous when I hear swear words don't say bad words in front of me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2018 9:33 PM

Jun 2015
No, pretty sure it's respectful.

Like, I've been told to say quite a lot of swear words.

Feb 10, 2018 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
when I’m with people who I feel comfortable swearing around
who gives a fuck
Feb 10, 2018 9:40 PM

Jan 2018
Why would it be disrespectful if you swear in front of anyone?

I just find that it's disrespectful if you're using those hurtful words against them. It may make you look like a delinquent but honesty, everyone have had swore atleast once.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 10, 2018 9:40 PM

Nov 2014
No it's not specifically disrespectful for a man to swear in front of a women. It's equally as disrespectful for anyone to swear in front of anyone, whether you think it's completely OK or utterly unacceptable.

I don't like to swear. Never a habit of mine. I don't think it's nice to swear, but it can be a very effective way of getting a message across, especially so if you don't usually do it.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 10, 2018 9:51 PM

Aug 2009
I don't really like when people swear in public, but if its with people you know I don't really see the big deal. Also whats with this pointless gender shit? Swearing in public in front of strangers is rude no matter what the gender.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 10, 2018 9:53 PM

Jun 2015
nicethings said:
when I’m with people who I feel comfortable swearing around
who gives a fuck
Please refrain from cursing on these forums, really makes me feel awkward.

Feb 10, 2018 9:56 PM

Sep 2017
I think that it is disrespectful to swear if it's not necessary.
Curse words are *usually* just adjectives that you add to your statement; they help justify your answer if you don't swear too often, as it shows that you're very serious. At other times, they can show other things, like if you hurt yourself.
Feb 10, 2018 10:04 PM

Apr 2014
potatobuurr said:
I think that it is disrespectful to swear if it's not necessary.
Curse words are *usually* just adjectives that you add to your statement; they help justify your answer if you don't swear too often, as it shows that you're very serious. At other times, they can show other things, like if you hurt yourself.
Sadly the majority of ppl have ruined the way swear words should be used because they swear as though it's going out of fashion.
Feb 10, 2018 11:28 PM

Apr 2014
PartingDeath said:
If it is I don't care, it doesn't hurt you and I like doing it.
I don't see it as disrespectful, I just prefer to express myself with words that pack a punch.
But when you continually use swear words they lose this 'punch'.
Feb 10, 2018 11:33 PM

Dec 2013
Reposting my reply from the mirror thread.
NthDegree said:
I'm not sure what swearing has to do with gender... Never thought about it before.

Well, not before seeing the other thread anyway.
Feb 10, 2018 11:36 PM

Jan 2016
Idk, I don't do it tho, it makes me feel uncomfortable and stupid.
Feb 11, 2018 12:03 AM

Nov 2014
Loreal said:
Consider this, if you were a sensitive person and swear words held a lot of meaning to you, then you are at a general disadvantage in life if any conflicting arguments came up with someone who swore, because trust me, the swear words don't mean much to people that swear. Thoughts?
I think you got me wrong, I'm not a sensitive person. I couldn't care less is someone starting flinging vulgarities at me. My point here is that you'd be more surprised if a generally polite person started berating you with swear words.

As for "winning arguments", losing your cool is the first step to looking like a fool. Pathetic exasperation is only for those in the wrong. But if you subcribe to the "the more outraged you are, the more justified they become" view, then I'm afraid to say I'm well able to engage in a shouting match with vulgarities because I've got a loud voice. But in general there's no point in doing that because no one will end up convinced, so I can't be bothered unless they are trying to forcefully involve me in something stupid.
BurningSpiritFeb 11, 2018 12:08 AM

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 11, 2018 12:09 AM

Apr 2011
nope

gender equality

It's ok to swear in front of women
Feb 11, 2018 12:16 AM

Nov 2012
I very rarely swear however in my work place the women swear more than the navy or the army... so I guess it's just due to the way you are brought up. one woman gets turned on if anyone says the C word...
Feb 11, 2018 1:37 AM

Nov 2014
Loreal said:
It was more directed to people that don't swear because the words are quite empowering over them, for example the feeling swear words had when you were like 7, also assuming the person that uses vulgarities in the argument passively, I've met people like that. This is become too specific so it's pointless now xD
I see what you mean, but I think the aspect of swear words overpowering someone stems from lack of exposure rather than lack of use.

My MAL Interview
Feb 11, 2018 2:04 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Swearing is disgusting, my mother would never allow such behavior to go unpunished. It's usually done by middle/low-class people who are unable to express their thoughts politely due to the harsh environment they were raised in. I would never do something like that even in an online forum. I'm glad that the Japanese language (unlike my native one) isn't very good for swearing.

Sometimes I use words like "damn" or "***k" when typing in English because the language is heavily influenced by barbaric traditions from the North. I guess you can't expect much courtesy from people who make a living by raiding fishing villages. No wonder the language itself is full of swear words. I would not even mention the origin of the people who speak it in North America. But swearing in front of women and old people (especially strangers) - I don't even think cavemen did that to be honest.

That being said I really want to say some bad stuff to Bambi for straw manning me in the "are men afraid to be men" thread but as you can see I'm well educated and I don't intend to bring shame to my house by going that low. I only hope she/they (and everyone else) figure out how much of this post was sarcastic.
Feb 11, 2018 2:15 AM

May 2010
Of course not, that has nothing to do with your sex :v It helps expressing genuine emotions, and while personally I don't swear (almost) at all, I definitely don't mind people doing it near me.

There are some people who use curses in every single sentence, and that makes bad impression on me, but I know girls who do it just as often as guys, so it's not a one-gender exclusive thing for sure.
Feb 11, 2018 2:17 AM

Nov 2017
No, Swearing is fine to do in front of any gender.
Feb 11, 2018 2:24 AM

May 2015
As if women are pure angels who don't swear themselves.
It's ok as long people around you are ok with it.
And when people swear around someone I don't think they disrespect them but rather it's saying more about their moral standards or how comfortable they feel among them.
Feb 11, 2018 2:30 AM

Mar 2008
No unless they are refering to all girls as bitches, cunts, sluts, hoes and whores but that's disrespectful when it's not in front of them too when used unironically. It's more disrespectful to infantize women by treating them like fragile sheltered children that can't handle hearing a swear. The problem isn't really swearing it's the attitudes some people might have that has them swearing excessively like bringing up a lot of negativity trash talking people which can be just as unpleasant to be around strangers doing that when they arent swearing.
traedFeb 11, 2018 3:27 AM
Feb 11, 2018 4:58 AM
Sep 2015
well some girls find it unattractive and others dont really mind so it really depends on the girl. my suggestion is dont swear in front of the girl unless you get close enough to her or you know she's okay with it.
Feb 11, 2018 5:12 AM

Mar 2015
It's disrespectful to swear in front of strangers, be it a man or a woman
Feb 11, 2018 5:21 AM

Aug 2015
swearing is not okay
It makes you look uneducated and rude
Sometimes in some extreme cases it can be used as a strong emotional response but usually avoid doing it

god I hate commenting on your threads @Bambi but the post count won't go up by itself, also reply to my pm don't make a gentleman wait, that is not a quality a lady like you should have

"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
Feb 11, 2018 5:24 AM

Oct 2007
Men swearing around women is fine. Anyone swearing around children is not fine.
Feb 11, 2018 5:30 AM

Feb 2016
But old people swear the most, anywhere anytime
Feb 11, 2018 5:33 AM

Mar 2017
It is. I only swear when whamen swear.
Feb 11, 2018 7:17 AM

May 2010
On average women will be more sensitive to it (statistical fact). Men shouldn't feel in particular that they should control themselves because of it. If women break down and cry over it, they need to normalize a bit because they won't be able to engage properly with the world. However, men should recognize that (on average) women aren't going to be as willing to engage in rough interaction.

It isn't that the language is foul, that's a personal problem. It's that it comes off as aggressive. Men are far more comfortable with aggressive language or body language, because men care less about getting along (on average).
Feb 11, 2018 7:17 AM
Apr 2017
to my close female friends no, because they swear like sailors as well. We are a pretty rowdy company
Feb 11, 2018 7:19 AM

Apr 2016
Only in front of your family, thats the slav code.
Feb 11, 2018 7:29 AM

Sep 2017
Fuck gender threads. Let people swear in peace.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Feb 11, 2018 7:48 AM
Dec 2017
I don't really know.

I swear a lot when I'm angry or hurt, but I think thats hereditary :D
In public I usually keep swearing to a minimum, but online I don't have many restrictions.

Anyways, I swear with my friends, some who are dudes, and it's fine. I don't think it's disrespectful but that's my opinion
Feb 11, 2018 7:51 AM

Dec 2015
Why emphasize 'women'? It's not a matter of gender, it's a matter of awareness of what situation you're in.

xx0:44 ─🔘────────────── 04:44x
xxxxxxxxx ❚❚ xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Feb 11, 2018 7:54 AM

Feb 2010
swearing is disrespectful and stupid doesnt matter to who you talk
Feb 11, 2018 8:07 AM

Sep 2016
I am not exactly sure what to say, because usually I never swear to women, Of course I swear to my friends, and my female friends don't mind if its in front of them because ,come on, we all know each other well. Tho I don't really swear to strangers randomly, be it male or female ....Not because it might be low class...But I just don't generally do it.
Feb 11, 2018 8:19 AM

Aug 2015
I don't have a clue what you're on about with why it's worse to swear with woman around, but i do agree that swearing around strangers is pretty "low-class".

But with people around that you know, no sure. I don't have a problem with any type of swearing, as long as it's not meant directly at someone.
Feb 11, 2018 8:27 AM

Oct 2013
as I've noticed with my own mom and her friends as long as you say he is a dick not he is a cunt they don't care if you swear
Feb 11, 2018 11:03 AM
Feb 2017
I'd say its disrespectful to swear in front of anyone in general. But if you're swearing on MAL or in front of a friend or someone you know that's fine with swearing, then its perfectly acceptable.

Feb 11, 2018 11:06 AM

Jun 2017
So first we had men asking questions about women

Now we have women asking questions about men....

Ok.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Feb 11, 2018 11:20 AM

Jul 2011
I don't think your gender matters at all with this subject, its way more to do with who you are around, if you are around a guy or a girl who hates swearing then yeah its little disrespectful.
Feb 11, 2018 12:26 PM

Feb 2017
I don't cuss at all. My friends make fun of me for it.
Feb 11, 2018 12:34 PM
Dec 2017
As if girls don't swear all the time
Girl 1:hi bitch
Girl 2 :you look so good bitch
Feb 11, 2018 12:58 PM

May 2013
It's just pirate talk. You can say any of it and it's fine but once you try to say 'aye aye' you're done for ;)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Feb 11, 2018 1:23 PM

Nov 2008
Not anymore, swearing hasn't been a gendered concept for a long time.

Feb 11, 2018 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
Oh no, my sensitive lady ears! :o
Btw. you can swear round people you are feeling comfortable with. It depends on your vocabulary tho.
Feb 11, 2018 1:49 PM

Jun 2016
FUCK YOU OP I'LL SWEAR WHENEVER THE FUCK I WANT TO FUCKING SWEAR!
Feb 11, 2018 3:22 PM

Jan 2017
It still blows my mind how much of a deal people are making from swearing, those are just words brah
Feb 12, 2018 6:19 AM

Nov 2013
You sound old. I would think most don't care about swearing as much as you do nowadays.
The concept of bad words is stupid, but they exists as a way to measure someone's character and conformity. It's been more normalised now though.
If people are being loud and obnoxious in public in general that would be a problem.

I can see you

Feb 12, 2018 6:26 AM

Nov 2015
What didja just call me, mate? I’ll have ya know I graduated top of my class in the Australian Army, and I’ve been involved in numerous beer sculling contests in Carlton, and I have over 300 slabs of XXXX drunk. I am trained in vocal abuse towards umpires and I am the top snag eater in the entire city of Carlton. You are nothing to me but a Collingwood fan. I will drop ya the fuck out with VB bottles the likes of which has never been smashed before on this Earth, mark my fucking words, mate. Ya think ya can get away with saying that bullshit to me over the Internet? Think again, mate. As we speak I am contacting Malcolm Turnbull and the Australian Federal Police and your IP is being traced right now so ya better prepare for the thunder, mate. The thunder that wipes out the pathetic little thing ya call your life. You’re fucking dead, prick. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can drop you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with by smashed bottle of VB and a cricket bat. Not only am I extensively trained in dropping pricks, but I have access to the entire shed of cricket bats of the Melbourne Cricket Ground and I will use it to its full extent to hit ya for out of the outback, you prick. If only ya coulda known what bullshit your little “clever” backchat was about ta bring down upon ya, maybe ya woulda held your fucking tongue. But ya couldn’t, ya didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, mate. I will shit fury all over ya and you’re gonna drown in it. You’re fucking dead, mate.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » the future of AI girlfriend technology

deg - 1 hour ago

8 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

671 by Hitagi__Furude »»
8 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

45 by Crystepsi »»
15 minutes ago

» The level of NoLifer / NEET / Hiki you are?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

19 by Crystepsi »»
17 minutes ago

Poll: » If we eat the mermaid's tail, is it cannibalism or is it fish meat?

Absurdo_N - 5 hours ago

23 by Adnash »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.