Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2018 9:20 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kouka and her pokerface..I wonder what her endgame is. She's almost treating this operation like a game. Still, I have to admit that her fighting abilities are impressive. She is practically carrying this operation.

On the other hand, that Snowdrop character brings a bit of trouble.

I'm actually surprised how Arato is dealing with all of this since it's probably not something he's used to.

Feb 9, 2018 10:34 AM

Jun 2015
Kengo really hates hIEs. He's lucky Lacia and Arato came to save him. The invisibility came in handy. Snowdrop sure did cause a lot more trouble. Those are some dangerous flowers.
Feb 9, 2018 10:48 AM
Apr 2014
so is next week a recap or something?
Feb 9, 2018 11:03 AM

Jun 2013
So kouka can kick ass
Snowdrop can kick ass
seems like it's not going to be easy for Lacia and Arato to beat them.
I got bored in the first half but the second half was enjoyable.

3.5/5 better than last week, nothing special though.

Feb 9, 2018 11:59 AM

Nov 2016
Last part pre ending was where it got interesting,aside from that it was an okayish episode.

Preview for next episode was messed up.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 9, 2018 1:05 PM

Dec 2016
Again everything seems so pointless in this show, I can barely keep paying attention to the boring and pointless dialogues lol. At least Kouka killing shit is still fun I guess, Snowdrop is cute too. Lets see how much longer I can keep watching this lul, maybe later on we get to see new hIEs that are more interesting, like that blonde one in the end.
Feb 9, 2018 1:11 PM

Jan 2018
Joe88 said:

Yes, some people say it's because the Olympics but other shows aren't doing this. Might be signs that they're struggling to keep up with the animation? They also have another recap episode planned somewhere down the line too.
Feb 9, 2018 1:13 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Olga must be worried sick about her brother. Kouka is doing a pretty good job of leading them on with her actions and speeches. If its not for the mission i think walking around while invisible will be nice. The HIE chairmen sure posted some interesting questions and responses. The appearance of flower girl was a surprise though. Though its nice that they were able to save Kengo its too bad that they weren't able to stop Kouka though. The little intro about the various HIE's was nice though. You have to wonder what Kouka's endgame will be though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2018 1:18 PM

Jul 2013
The way of "eating" of the green robot loli sure was... interesting.
Feb 9, 2018 2:29 PM

Aug 2013
So I guess that's the end to the first arc of the story. Interesting how things heated up. Next week is probably a recap. Still convinced this is the best of the three shows I originally was watching on Fridays (The other two being Grancrest Senki and Toji no Miko)
Don't believe the hype.
Feb 9, 2018 3:35 PM

Dec 2017
what the fuck did i just watch. people were killed, bots destroyed, building smashed, and after all of that they just chill out like "i'm all out, i'm going home"
kengo released home even though he was wearing insurgent form, wut?

ok, they killed the /pol/ droid, but the resolution was so bad

also lacia's silence means she's not a tool? :thinking:
Feb 9, 2018 3:43 PM

Dec 2015
This is seemingly an interesting concept just executed rather poorly.
Feb 9, 2018 4:30 PM

Dec 2016
Why am I not surprised that Arato was checking out the women while being invisible.

Haven't seen the green haired hIE for a little while, she really did cause a lot of destruction there.

Ok so her name is snowflake, she absorbed those security guards in quite an unusual way.

Thank goodness Kengo didn't accept Kouka, great save there by Arato.

Kouka succeeded in her mission though, and there was another strong looking hIE shown for a moment.
Feb 9, 2018 5:59 PM
Aug 2016
What The fuck?. this episode is so retarted

Why the hell kengo is able to getting away free? he clearly involved in terrorism activity on his own accord. he sould be thrown in jail or at least arrested for a week
Feb 9, 2018 6:13 PM

Dec 2010
Why does Kouka needs an owner? Or was it just playing by her?

The second part of the episode was pretty good. Best moment was the way of eating other hIEs. What a waste though! The loli hIE should have eaten the politician hIE. I thought it was the point of an operation. Like getting stronger when eating those hIEs.

I also lost the point. Who is fighting who. Really bad writing and presentation. They said that flowers let Snowflake control the automatic thing, but those hIE guards were still firing at Kouka? So they are fighting? Okay not bad, but then they were cooperating. WTF!

Lacia standing there not giving a fuck was also fun. Are they enemies? Or just likes to troll. Three of them met and nothing happened.

Good ambient music in the ending.

mat619 said:
What The fuck?. this episode is so retarted

Why the hell kengo is able to getting away free? he clearly involved in terrorism activity on his own accord. he sould be thrown in jail or at least arrested for a week

Good question.
Feb 9, 2018 8:34 PM
Oct 2017
somehow this one was the worst execution so far.

(simply) so flat.
Feb 9, 2018 8:40 PM

Sep 2017
Most interesting episode. Not really sure why snowdrop showed up; she certainly wasn't Kouka's ally. Btw, was Snowdrop consuming those hIE? It was pretty weird, and shes even able to fuse them together somehow. Kengo really hates the hIE's though. I wonder how his relationship with Arato will pan out. I doubt he'll become too antagonistic, but who knows.
Feb 9, 2018 9:46 PM
Aug 2014
damn I'm here to hate but voted 5 by habit, how can I reverse it.

regarding the episode; it was the final stroke... and drop
Feb 9, 2018 10:10 PM

Feb 2014
Well, gotta give this show credit for improving just about every week so far. This is the first time I actually didn't laugh at it, so hey!

However, that's not to say it was devoid of stupidity. Somehow I knew everyone would walk away from this one without any immediate consequences, which given the setting just doesn't suspend my disbelief. You'd think with all these advanced AI and a dedicated security force they'd have face IDs for every member of the Antibodies now.

I do appreciate when this show focuses in on its philosophical concepts, though. Recycled animations aside, the discussion about hIE in governmental roles was almost thought provoking.
Feb 10, 2018 12:02 AM

Sep 2016
Decent Episode which means a lot for this anime. Each of the previous episodes made me rate it 1 point lower so I'm glad it stuck at 5 from last time.

Also, that end preview was... wierd. And are we getting a recap episode next?
Feb 10, 2018 1:16 AM
Mar 2012
The political automation discussion were good as previous episodes on social criticism did better than the action. New Snowdrop kinda fun with the random fight with Kouka. Digesting & creating bots an interesting ability.
Well mission completed for both Kengo & Arato groups.
At least Kengo stuck to his hate-hie belief & rejected Kouka.
More bad dialogue: you fall you die. If you're shot you die.
Feb 10, 2018 2:07 AM

Jan 2017
I really don't see where this story is leading to...

Why does kouka grunt and breathe like she's outta breath, shes a bloody robot/hie or something!
Still kinda dead, I don't ever see myself getting into it
Feb 10, 2018 4:36 AM

Jul 2014
Well, this show is steadily improving, and this episode was no exception, with the political discussion between Mikoto and the politicians being a particular highlight. The action side of things wasn't as good, but it served its purpose well enough at least. Only thing that confused me was why Kouka was constantly shooting Snowdrop's petal drone things, as they seemed to be at least somewhat working together given that Snowdrop caused the helicopter crash, something which actively helped Kouka's plan out.

A decent end to the first arc, and it should be interesting to see how things progress from here.
Feb 10, 2018 4:57 AM
Sep 2017
its really interesting I wonder who is their creator and whats their purpose of doing
Each Tool has role how it will turn out I can t wait for it
Feb 10, 2018 10:00 AM

Jun 2017
It was a pretty good episode imo.

Arato was the secret MVP with the invisible peeping lmao, he knows his priorities well.

So Snowdrop just dropped in for the lulz apparently. Her way of "eating" was nice nightmare fuel. Beware of the killer robot loli.

Ironically the political talk was more interesting than the whole action. Mikoto's answer was intreseting, she would do dumb shit like wars if the humans wanted it lol. Too bad she got killed in the end.

I still can't get a reading on Kouka but maybe I should give up and accept that she is also doing shit for the lulz. It would have been a nice twist if Kengo made her his hIE in a fit of rage during the rescue but it didn't happen. He went back being best buds with Arato again.

Not happy about the recap next week, like seriously, this is supposed to be 24 eps and they are pulling this already at ep 6? I could somewhat live with it if it was around ep 12-13 but this screams that something went horribly wrong already with the production.
Feb 10, 2018 10:09 AM
Jan 2017
This episode was advertised as the end of the story's first chapter, so the climactic atmosphere felt very much deserved. I'm gonna start with the obvious: Arato has no problem barging into a gunfight just to save a friend. It's like he quickly assimilated his previous experiences. While his motivations are admirable, Arato so far hasn't developed beyond being a generic goody two-shoes who wants everyone to get along, including his friend Kengo. Speaking about Kengo, I'm glad he survived, if only because it keeps open the possibility of further developing his character and relationship with Arato. What Kengo did wasn't entirely evil, he was just doing something Arato doesn't agree with. I kinda feel bad for Mikoto, though. It would have been interesting to keep her around. Also, I think the mystery of Lacia and her sisters will continue to play a role in future episodes.
Feb 10, 2018 10:49 AM

Dec 2014
well with two much fighting going on..they still manage to tke the nominee out
Feb 10, 2018 12:12 PM

Jul 2015
hey guys.. arato is struggling.. kouka is heavy.. they might both fall... and die.. so do we give a shit about them? probably not.. oh look! there are these weak hIE guards.. who are shooting at God no what.. u know what? lets kill them before saving our previous "owners" or "owners-to-be"...
after the hero saved the day... by his uncinvicing..and ridicolous speech.. lets all go home.. and do not care about the people that actually died.. and how the hell did they even left the building? it was surrounded by police that didn't do shit.. oh yeah.. that "invisibility"..
and wtf guy? how are u guys so calm? there are fking terrorists outside with guns!
this anime suck ass... there are so many plot holes.. the pacing is done poorly.. the story could have been so much better but they only cared about the art and OP/ED..
if the last episode was 3/10 then this ep would be 4/10.. cuz it was a little bit enjoyable..(justalittlebit)..
Feb 10, 2018 2:24 PM

Sep 2016
CrazyGoodDude said:
Joe88 said:

Yes, some people say it's because the Olympics but other shows aren't doing this. Might be signs that they're struggling to keep up with the animation? They also have another recap episode planned somewhere down the line too.
First recap is due to the olympics and the second recap is the "mandatory recap" that every 24 episodes shows have. That splits the series in half to conclude the 1st cour, the same happened with Garo Vanishing Line.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Feb 10, 2018 2:29 PM

Aug 2017
Well Snowdrop just wanted a snack and all of those guards just looked kinda tasty

Interesting social commentary on the automated political systems, that sort of stuff is what I was mainly looking for out of this show

Decent end to the first arc. Recap episode isn't overly surprising, given that the material would be hard-pressed to fill out 24 eps, 21-22 would make more sense. To be fair, Monogatari S2 had 3 summary episodes with the first one also being positioned at ep 6.

Looking forward to Methode's intro. From the OP it looks like she'll be involved with Ryo similar to Kouka and Kengo.

Feb 10, 2018 3:19 PM

Mar 2010
Naive he may be, but Arato's a serious bro. Not everyone would have the guts to face flying bullets to help out a friend. It's entirely plausible that Kengo would be able to get away btw. Snowdrop's petals had already shutdown the surveillance systems, he was wearing a mask the entire time before that, and he would be leaving with Arato/Lacia, so they could very easily have gone invisible on the way out. ^^

Not happy about the recap next week, (I'm REALLY looking forward to learning more about this world and the backstories for everyone,) but totally understand why it's needed. I mean, just look at most of the discussion so far here on MAL. Everyone whining about tl;dr infodumps then whining about not understanding what's going on. -_-;; Any story with an extensive and detailed worldview, particularly sci-fi,(which is shorthand for "science fiction" for those who've forgotten,) is going to have a rather information heavy start if they are not extensively relying on established tropes as storytelling shortcuts. A planned recap at this point just says that the producers know that some viewers may be struggling to keep up and sets the stage for something new once the story moves past what was already established.

Even with all of the world building going on, and most explanations not yet said, I think that it's likely that we will be seeing some traditional tropes, and I'm just hoping the execution won't be done in a cliche manner. Right now, it would be rather surprising for me if they don't go the "Lacia was sent to Arato by his father to stop something bad from happening" route. For those who missed it, it's been said that his father is one of the primary developers for hIEs, including the first AI system and Mikoto. So, Arato is the Son of a Great Man, aka Destined by Birth. His buddy Ryou is the son of the owner of MemeFrame, so he fits that description too. We have no idea so far as to what caused Kengo's deep seated hatred of hIEs, but I'm betting he lost a family member, possibly an hIE researcher related to Arato or Ryou's father, in an hIE related incident. Can't be sure yet, but there is probably a deeper reason why someone that close to Arato was chosen by Kouka other than he coincidentally was a member of the Antibody Network. For similar reasons, I'm predicting that Methode (the blond hIE they just showed) will contract with Ryou.

There's a lot of potential in this series to give viewers a lot to think about. I'm hoping it will keep us thinking after this point rather than going the much easier route of downgrading the complexity of the story to make it more accessible to the not-wanting-to-think masses. Please, everyone stop expecting for every anime to mindless, ecchi-filled action series' that you'll enjoy after turning off your brain. This is "hard sci-fi" so far. It should not be compared to stories like Plastic Memories, or any of the myriad futuristic battle-harems, but maybe with Ghost in the Shell or Psycho Pass. It's intended to make the viewer think, so if you don't like thinking, then it's not going to be for you.
Feb 10, 2018 3:22 PM

Mar 2010
Gradeus said:
Well Snowdrop just wanted a snack and all of those guards just looked kinda tasty

Interesting social commentary on the automated political systems, that sort of stuff is what I was mainly looking for out of this show

Decent end to the first arc. Recap episode isn't overly surprising, given that the material would be hard-pressed to fill out 24 eps, 21-22 would make more sense. To be fair, Monogatari S2 had 3 summary episodes with the first one also being positioned at ep 6.

Looking forward to Methode's intro. From the OP it looks like she'll be involved with Ryo similar to Kouka and Kengo.

OMG I love you. <3 Thank you for the science lesson. :D That is actually awesome. Please do continue enlightening the rest of us if there are more "sci-fi thats real" things that pop up in future episodes.
Feb 10, 2018 3:41 PM

Jun 2017
Gradeus said:

Woah, that's pretty cool.
Feb 10, 2018 5:44 PM

Aug 2017
deadman80 said:

OMG I love you. <3 Thank you for the science lesson. :D That is actually awesome. Please do continue enlightening the rest of us if there are more "sci-fi thats real" things that pop up in future episodes.

Will do haha

About your other post, I'm also down for the hard sci-fi. I always love a show that makes me ponder over things a bit, even if others are quick to dismiss intriguing philosophical elements due to production-side events. Other shows like Heaven's Memo Pad that are more realistic also touch on (much darker) societal topics.

Other times the show will just make me think a lot (Blast of Tempest, Monogatari, Death Note). Beatless isn't as complicated but I can definitely enjoy its social commentary wrapped up in a show like this.

As the plot through the extent of the manga has finished up, I'm looking forward to some new surprises, especially involving Saturnus and Methode, especially with the latter's association with "expanding humanity", gives me some zaShunina vibes from Kado (and voiced by Sora Amamiya?! yooo)
Feb 10, 2018 9:52 PM

Mar 2012
Not a bad episode. I'm sure they'll reveal Kengou's reasons later (it will probably be dumb ones). I think more importantly we'll see where this goes. Seems like each of the 5 was created for a specific reason and maybe they didn't just "escape" but may have been purposefully released.
Feb 10, 2018 10:27 PM

Nov 2013
Kengo is still stupid. Of course Kouka lets you idiots fight there.

They actually managed to save him. I wouldn't mind if he died in this episode. I wonder how he will deal with the fact that Lacia saved him.

Snowdrop was causing trouble again. How she fused the hIE guards was quite messed up.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Feb 11, 2018 5:39 AM

Feb 2016
Good episode. The series started cheesy, but this is getting serious. It looks like we have to take attention at its science class. Kouka is shining, Lacia is underperforming. And our Arato is really naughty.
Feb 11, 2018 12:02 PM
Dec 2017
This series is mind-boggingly stupid. Do you actually think human crewed SWAT no longer exist, that can go to places without cloud coverage? Teams like Navy SEAL are capable of unthinkable feats now, what would them be capable of in 21xy? Don't forget mankind has millenia of warfare behind it, with a huge assortment of weapons, training and tactics. These gynoids replicants would be curb-stomped in very short order, especially the silly way they behave, having fun taking potshots at each other in the middle of action?

Anyhow, what do you do with your meta-material sword when an armoured wedge composed of 70 ton battle tanks rolls over you? I saw a US military train in transit today, here in Hungary. It had like 2-3 med, comms, command M113 each, about 4-5 Bradley tanks and maybe six-eight MLRS 8x8 trucks on flat-top wagons. Looks like they don't even put tarps on them nowadays? That firepower doesn't depend on AI, if all else fails they can be fired by iron sight point blank and erase a town wholesale. Really gives a perspective.
Feb 12, 2018 1:58 AM

Oct 2008
okay...that was senseless, so Snowdrop joined the chaos just to mess-up things!?
at least Methode already had an appearance!
3/5.

Feb 12, 2018 3:35 AM
Jun 2017
Whhooooowwww!!! a 3 way fight between Snowdrop, Kouka and Lacia.... great scene...
Feb 12, 2018 9:03 AM

May 2014
Up to now I'd say I like the anime. It has an interesting premise but the execution is surely lacking. It feels weak and it's getting harder to get over it.
Feb 14, 2018 4:58 PM
Nov 2016
Sometimes I feel like this anime tries to be complex. I mean, there are certain things that they explain in a difficult way in a frustrated attempt to make this anime seem more complex / intellectual. An example was when they tried to explain what is analog hack, which to be honest is something very simple to understand, but for some reason they tried to make it much more harder to understand. I had to read about 3 times their explanation to fully know what is analog hack and with my own words I would explain it in a much simpler way.
SageHarpuiaFeb 14, 2018 5:01 PM
Feb 15, 2018 12:28 AM

Feb 2013
Kouka is the best, love her maniacal and destructive attitude. <3 Her killing that diplomatic hIE though... :(

Snowdrop was cute and playful, and slurping those hIE guards like soup was bizarre. Her expression when mocking Kouka after she got "rejected" by Kengo, combined with Kouka's "Tch" was funny. Kengo should just accept Kouka already!!

Lacia... was elegant, but VERY underwhelming, she just stood there deflecting bullets with her big coffin weapon thing (why didn't she unleash that big laser blast from E01??)

Wonder which red box hIE we will see next...?
My Projects: animeforums.netazumi.moe (anime girls screenshot gallery)
Feb 15, 2018 8:39 AM

Dec 2016
This episode made me think that Kengo was really over the top.
modge
Feb 17, 2018 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
This probably should have happened by episode3... instead of dragging it out.

Too bad most of the animation isn't this sharp.

So green girl just wanted to eat some robots?...

What's with that preview... recap next already? lol
Feb 19, 2018 8:16 PM

Dec 2008
I hate that hIE Mikoto was executed. She was my favorite character.
Apr 13, 2018 11:42 AM

Apr 2014
Waste of time, nothing else.
May 6, 2020 8:53 AM

Feb 2018
Kouka and her pokerface, lol...
Mar 23, 2023 3:52 PM

Dec 2022
What was that firefight at the end about? I thought the flower android was on Kouka's side, but she isn't? Lacia just did nothing she was on their side as well, even though she clearly isn't. Actually, she didn't do or say a single thing, she just stood there like a background character.

Kengo is a complete asshole and I felt nothing for him during any of his scenes in this. Hope he grows a brain at some point. Mikoto could've been an interesting character for more nuanced discussion, but she's unceremoniously killed off just after being introduced.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Beatless Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 8, 2018

12 by SWtaervdesn »»
Dec 30, 2023 5:16 AM

Poll: » Beatless Episode 19 Discussion

tidoesstuff - Aug 9, 2018

5 by SWtaervdesn »»
Dec 30, 2023 4:31 AM

Poll: » Beatless Episode 18 Discussion

8 by SWtaervdesn »»
Dec 23, 2023 4:19 AM

Poll: » Beatless Episode 17 Discussion

4 by SWtaervdesn »»
Nov 4, 2023 5:26 AM

Poll: » Beatless Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - May 25, 2018

40 by bakakisima »»
Jun 17, 2023 12:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.