Forum Settings
Forums

why are so many peoples average scores so low.

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Feb 9, 2018 6:37 AM

Dec 2013
My average score is quite high, but I'm guessing that's because I don't have the patience to watch anime I think is bad right off the bat, and I don't rate dropped anime

duhu1148 said:
It's about the eternal search for that next masterpiece. Let's face it, most of them do suck. Cliches, overused tropes, plotholes, excessive monologuing/flashbacks...I think you get the picture.

^^
Feb 9, 2018 6:55 AM

Jul 2015
I think my average score is quite high for the amount of trash I'm watching every season.

When you are watching a seasonal, you can't really guess that it is going to turn into a trash. You have to watch some episodes. I give score of 1 for animes that are not even worth to finish. 90% of my drop list are seasonals that were unbearable to watch.

When you are looking for old animes, you can check MAL score, reviews, etc. You can dodge the bullet. My mean score end up being about 7 for already aired anime.

Feb 9, 2018 6:58 AM

May 2016
Because some people are really terrible at making decisions and are too stupid to intuit which titles they will or won't enjoy.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Feb 9, 2018 7:00 AM

Apr 2016
This thread again?! Jesus Christ...

A fair ton of people here basically said all of what can be said about this reoccurring topic, within half of the first page...as usual.
Feb 9, 2018 7:05 AM

Sep 2017
Because most of anime/films/book are avarage and according to MAL System score,avarage is a 5 Not a 7 or 8.
Feb 9, 2018 7:14 AM

Jan 2017
Watch a thousand more and you'll know why.
Feb 9, 2018 7:25 AM

Dec 2016
Sturgeon's Law is applicable to everything in my opinion.
Women of my dreams I don't sleep so I can't find her

Feb 9, 2018 7:26 AM

Sep 2009
Your taste is shit. 5 is average. Most anime are bad.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 9, 2018 7:27 AM

Apr 2017
their rating system is kind of different, those people consider 6 and 5 to be good and they rarely give 10.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Feb 9, 2018 7:39 AM

May 2016
Because if you have any standards, a mean score above a 7 becomes impossible.
I know for a fact, mine would drop by at least half a point if I'd gone through my entire list in the last year.
Feb 9, 2018 7:45 AM

Aug 2015
They actually use the full 1-10 scale and don't rate solely on enjoyment. Having a low mean score doesn't always mean they don't enjoy most of the anime they watch.
Feb 9, 2018 7:47 AM

Mar 2017
there are people who rate only on pure enjoyment and experience while watching the show

there are also people who rate it critically regardless of enjoyment

then there's me, who rates shows based on others opinion (well, mostly)
An admin's dickhead Soul banned me from MAL t('v't)
Feb 9, 2018 7:48 AM

Feb 2018
Well I as a rather new anime fan myself noticed that the more anime i watch the lower my average scores goes because you either run out of great classics to watch so you start picking up random shows of the season who often arrnt as good as the classics.
Also when you watch more animes you notice flaws in shows you didn't notice on the first watch so your rating becomes stricter
Feb 9, 2018 7:49 AM

Apr 2014
Eventually you'll watch a really good show that you'll want to give an exceptional rating (10/10 obviously) and therefore all of your previous 10s will downgrade to 9s or even less. Same with lower ratings. I think this is basically what happens with most of us

We didn't have low avg rating at first.
themanualreader@proton.me
Feb 9, 2018 8:00 AM

Oct 2015
TheOnlyMiner said:

I think it's pretty reasonable for an anime fan who had their fair share of anime to have a score of 5-6 but I agree that lower than 5 is odd (Assuming you're using the MAL's rating system and not "I gave it a 4 but I really enjoyed it lol"). I mean if you have more overall disliked shows than overall liked shows than you really don't need to watch every single popular shit from the current season.
Feb 9, 2018 8:11 AM

Jul 2013
At first, I avoided giving the 1-5 score too, but there's a point where I just realized that 6-10 scale isn't enough to properly sort out all the show.
Feb 9, 2018 8:40 AM
Aug 2016
A thread about mean scores? Fucking hell, I feel like reading the replies to this thread will give me convulsions and unavoidable brain damage.
Feb 9, 2018 8:41 AM

Apr 2013
Because some people rate more critically than others or don't rate at all.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
Feb 9, 2018 10:08 AM

Jun 2017
I wonder why everytime I see someone with 8+ mean score he has SAO/re:zero in favorites and when I see someone with 3- mean score he has Monster/logh in favorites

Feb 9, 2018 10:08 AM

Apr 2016
I have no idea, I drop shit anime and don't even put it on the list.
Feb 9, 2018 10:26 AM

Nov 2013
Because an average score is 5, not 7.
Feb 9, 2018 10:51 AM

Feb 2015
Some people have so many sticks up their ass that whenever they see just one glitch in the plot, visuals, characters etc... They immediately say it's shit...

Personally I believe a healthy mean score is between 6.50-8.00ish...

Lower than 6.50: Why the fuck do you even watch anime if you hate it so much?
Higher than 8.00: Most anime ain't that magical... What are you, 12?

My mean score stays between 7.20-7.60... Depending on the density of good things I watch... Like lately I've been watching movies... Most of them being very good... Getting scores in 8-9... So my mean score when up a lot since I've just been seeing one good movie after another...

But when I get back into TV series... All the trash will come flooding in once again... And that score is gonna drop real fast
Feb 9, 2018 10:54 AM

Nov 2016
There are people who rate the shows they watch by how they were not by how much they enjoyed them. So if a show "suck" in terms of animation or story, etc. they will give it a low score but maybe they enjoyed it anyways.
" You gotta love humans. When everything sticks to the script, they can put on a great act. But as soon as something unexpected happens, they react completely true to their nature."
Shinichi Akiyama

Feb 9, 2018 11:02 AM

Aug 2016
Because something of insulting quality is not a 7/10
Feb 9, 2018 11:13 AM

May 2009
Kirua- said:
But generally, any anime I've scored at least 6 is an anime where I can openly admit that I liked it, so 6 is actually a good score. My 6/10 is probably about equal to your 8/10 or 9/10.
Sounds like me.

Maellirn said:
Because most of anime/films/book are avarage and according to MAL System score,avarage is a 5 Not a 7 or 8.
Shineee_ said:
Watch a thousand more and you'll know why.
oh cool, two Alpha avatars in a row :D

Aslt said:
A thread about mean scores? Fucking hell, I feel like reading the replies to this thread will give me convulsions and unavoidable brain damage.
Is this a thread about mean scores...or a thread about mean scores?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 9, 2018 11:23 AM
Oct 2017
TheOnlyMiner said:
kI4synVCfn7PMH4w said:
Because an average score is 5, not 7.

thats the point though.... why would someone spend a lot of there time watching stuff that most of the time they find it "average" or bad...

if you only watch shows you consider good, doesn't that make you the elitist you're complaining about? or do you only consider the shows you've watched good after the fact because you're susceptible to buyer's remorse?
Feb 9, 2018 11:26 AM

Aug 2015
My average is 7, but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I use the MAL 'adjective' rating system and pair it up with my level of enjoyment.

Then comes along some shitty stuff that I rate 2 and it lowers my average.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Feb 9, 2018 11:31 AM

Dec 2017
Honestly, I feel like some of them are watching shit anime on purpose. I saw someone watch the first season of an anime no one ever heard about, and rated it with a 1. Then he watched the second season. Wtf? You don't like it, drop it and watch something you like..... People whose mean score is above 6 are considerated high-raters... I mean, I have nothing with low-raters but they usually tend to critique my scores and list. I understand we don't have the same tastes but you don't have to trash on everyone x)
Feb 9, 2018 12:23 PM

May 2015
Add to the list a bunch of specials and OVAs that are connected to the series you liked but they turned out to be just stupid or really bad.

Or try to explore a genre in the hopes to find something good but not finding it.

Maybe the show was good at first but screwed up at the end.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what to watch as long as it entertains you somehow be it art, characters or music.

Always watching only good shows is actually tiring. To have a break from intensity of emotions that overflow you after some masterpiece is essential.

It is impossible to know whether you like a show or not before you actually watch it. You can guess but it still can turn out either way.

Just being a curious person with interest in particular artist/studio/director is also a thing. Most creators have a variety of bad and good creations.

Not everyone watch anime just for enjoyment or their enjoyment is not the same as yours. And as mentioned before their scoring system is most likely different from yours too.
Feb 9, 2018 12:36 PM

Dec 2014
10 point system from 1 to 10 meaning the mathematical "average" is like 5,5.

So basically a tossup between 5 and 6.

PS: Thank me later when you need basic maths...
Feb 9, 2018 12:36 PM
Jul 2015
TheOnlyMiner said:
why are so many peoples anime rating scores so low?

Like i understand my score (9.07) is really high but i don't understand how people can have average scores like 3, 4 or 5 like what? like how can you dislike most shows you watch? like why even watch anime if you think most shows are either very bad or average 😂😂 seems stupid if you ask me...

like don't you have anything better to do with your time instead of watching stuff that most of the time you think is bad or meh?....

I firmly believe that you have an idea of ​​what masterpiece means, very distorted by your fanaticism and your appreciation.

I belong to those who qualify with low score, who have 4.55 and I do not have a single reason for those who qualify so low, I admit that in some cases it is unfair but it irritates me too much overvaluation among other things.
Although personally I always try to be fair in everything, but the general qualification is so lacking in justice.
Feb 9, 2018 12:37 PM

May 2009
Lanor-sama said:

And there's also an "enjoyment bias" where people are more likely to watch, and thus to rate, shows they like, which pushes the average score higher, up to about 6.94 or so (according to graph.anime.plus).
Feb 9, 2018 12:59 PM

Jul 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Lanor-sama said:

And there's also an "enjoyment bias" where people are more likely to watch, and thus to rate, shows they like, which pushes the average score higher, up to about 6.94 or so (according to graph.anime.plus).
(1+10)/2 = 5.5
He was talking about a mathematical average, not MAL average. The reason behind this high mean score is not something as nebulous as enjoyment bias (for reals, what a dumass term), but its rooted in the fact that many if not most MAL users dont utilize a full scale but rather something akin to a 4-6 point scale in the upper ratings.

Tho, for real guys, a meanscore of the realm of 5-6 allows for the most accurate distinction, its just a lot more useful. At some point, if you only score high, the range one rating (e.g. an 8/10) covers is immense and you'd put some of the shows you rated an 8 leagues above another show you gave an 8.

Like, this always confuses me. Just utilize the full relative scale.
Feb 9, 2018 1:11 PM

May 2009
PizzaOnPineapple said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
(1+10)/2 = 5.5
He was talking about a mathematical average, not MAL average. The reason behind this high mean score is not something as nebulous as enjoyment bias (for reals, what a dumass term), but its rooted in the fact that many if not most MAL users dont utilize a full scale but rather something akin to a 4-6 point scale in the upper ratings.

Tho, for real guys, a meanscore of the realm of 5-6 allows for the most accurate distinction, its just a lot more useful. At some point, if you only score high, the range one rating (e.g. an 8/10) covers is immense and you'd put some of the shows you rated an 8 leagues above another show you gave an 8.

Like, this always confuses me. Just utilize the full relative scale.
I know the math.

And you can say the name is dumb as much as you want. But it remains true that, even if all users use the full range of scores to represent their full range of opinions, the actual average would likely be higher, since people generally don't go and watch stuff they don't like, and even when they do, they generally don't stick around long enough to bother to rate it, and consequently, more positive scores will actually get posted, than negative scores. That is what I am referring to with the term "enjoyment bias".

Sure, everyone has an idea of what would be a trash show, to them. But doesn't mean they'll care to even go rate it. Generally, they don't, because it's not something they enjoy anyway. If you paid them to watch a variety of shows, sure, they'll probably give you some low ratings for shows they don't like. But no one's getting paid to do this.
Feb 9, 2018 1:13 PM

Jul 2015
You know
not all people use the 6-10 scale .....
Feb 9, 2018 1:17 PM
Dec 2011
[Force Persuade] You will look at my list.
Feb 9, 2018 1:21 PM

Jul 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I know the math.

And you can say the name is dumb as much as you want. But it remains true that, even if all users use the full range of scores to represent their full range of opinions, the actual average would likely be higher, since people generally don't go and watch stuff they don't like, and even when they do, they generally don't stick around long enough to bother to rate it, and consequently, more positive scores will actually get posted, than negative scores. That is what I am referring to with the term "enjoyment bias".

Sure, everyone has an idea of what would be a trash show, to them. But doesn't mean they'll care to even go rate it. Generally, they don't.
Again, I am talking about a relativescale. A fully used relative scale will always end up near the mathematical average. But I am aware of what you mean.

Look at my average. You will notice it is above a 5.5, mainly because I don't rate dropped shows and watch stuff i think i ll like. That's what you mean right? The difference here is that I deviate ~0.5 from the mathematical average and the average MAL user deviates by ~1.5 from the average. Their relative scale isn't good. Now what if I told you that the shows i scored a 1/10 are the worst shows I completed? You aren't surprised right?

Check this: A think about these shows just like other people with higher means think about the shows they stick around long enough for to care to rate them. I don't score shows i don't like either. The difference is they use a 4/10 instead of a 1/10 and thus restrict their relative scale. My ratings are thus more nuanced.

Again. relative scale. This should be obvious but if the scale wasnt relative then yes, low scorers would hate anime. But the thing is I dont.
Feb 9, 2018 1:22 PM

Oct 2016
Well take my list for example, 5.81 average with 113 rated entries. You have to look at your list and think, are all of these shows that I give a 10/10 comparable to one another. I love both Psycho-Pass and Serial Experiments lain. They are both in my top 5, but when looking at them, I knew I liked Psycho-Pass more and gave it a 10, whereas I gave lain a 9. If you just give every show you like a 9 or a 10 you will have ridiculously high averages.

I really enjoyed Zankyou no Terror, but I had numerous problems with it throughout its run and upon evaluation, came to the score of a 4/10. That doesn't mean I hate it, instead it means it is on the same level as the other shows I rated a 4/10, e.g. Tokyo Ghoul, Trinity Seven, Erased. None of these I hated, just they didn't quite meat the standard of a 5/10 e.g. Kado, Code Geass, Zero no Tsukaima.

Did you enjoy Death Note, Code Geass, Erased and Mirai Nikki the same? If not, change your score.
"It's the same sense of loss I feel when a slice-of-life series ends... The despair of knowing that their lives will still continue on, yet I won't be able to see it..."
~Hajime Tsunashi from Danna ga Nani wo Itteiru ka Wakaranai Ken
Feb 9, 2018 1:53 PM

May 2009
PizzaOnPineapple said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:
I know the math.

Sure, everyone has an idea of what would be a trash show, to them. But doesn't mean they'll care to even go rate it. Generally, they don't.
Again, I am talking about a relativescale. A fully used relative scale will always end up near the mathematical average. But I am aware of what you mean.

Look at my average. You will notice it is above a 5.5, mainly because I don't rate dropped shows and watch stuff i think i ll like. That's what you mean right? The difference here is that I deviate ~0.5 from the mathematical average and the average MAL user deviates by ~1.5 from the average. Their relative scale isn't good. Now what if I told you that the shows i scored a 1/10 are the worst shows I completed? You aren't surprised right?

Check this: A think about these shows just like other people with higher means think about the shows they stick around long enough for to care to rate them. I don't score shows i don't like either. The difference is they use a 4/10 instead of a 1/10 and thus restrict their relative scale. My ratings are thus more nuanced.

Again. relative scale. This should be obvious but if the scale wasnt relative then yes, low scorers would hate anime. But the thing is I dont.

So by "relative scale" you mean a scale that simply expands to fill the scale available?

It seems like what you're talking about only works if you also do things like "don't rate shows dropped that you hate". If you drop stuff you hate but also rate it very low, then suddenly your 1 no longer consistently means "it was bad but I was at least able to complete it", and instead you'll have to move up some existing 1s and squash your scale.

This doesn't mean that other users aren't using a "relative scale". In fact, given that there is no real absolute definition of preference/quality/whatever, everyone is using a "relative scale" since it's basically all comparisons on an arbitrary 1 to 10 scale anyway. Instead, it just means that you're explicitly refusing to rate certain things, in order to expand your scale more.

(Or by "relative scale" do you mean that you specifically try to tailor your rating scale such that the average comes out to be around 5.5? Seriously, you're using the term "relative" in a weird way, to contrast between different things that are all inherently relative anyway.)

Also with regards to "nuance", whether that nuance is meaningful beyond just your own tastes is an open question. I don't think it's possible to make a meaningfully consistent distinction for more than about five (or maybe seven) gradations such that the distinction actually means the same thing (as far as a personal like/dislike type of opinion goes) to a variety of different people.
Feb 9, 2018 5:53 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
An average of 5.XX or 4.XX isn't low, but 3.XX is. Like others said, some people including me use the 1-10 scale.
For me, I rate any anime that I think is below average/bad 1-4.
There are also some anime I found to be forgettable/unremarkable.
Feb 9, 2018 6:02 PM

Oct 2015
I have found out that after watching so many anime and so long your rating depletes.

You are still new, you will see as times goes on how shitty many anime are. Like my mean score it's going down by the day and its been so long since I gave a 10 or 9( at this rate I'm crying that I am pessimistic about anime).
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Feb 9, 2018 7:27 PM

Mar 2016
For me, I like to try out EVERY show even if I think/know I’ll dislike it. Watching “so good it’s bad” shows is also really fun. Sometimes I watch shows to see just how bad it is. I can’t speak for everyone, but that’s how it is for me.
!! 𝙒𝘼𝙍𝙉𝙄𝙉𝙂 !! vampires bite beautiful people
Feb 9, 2018 7:38 PM
Jan 2017
This is the question I ask myself everyday. I just don't understand.
Feb 9, 2018 7:44 PM
Jun 2017
#1 It's hard to take you seriously when you type "like" every 5 words (no offense).

#2 Have you actually looked at the scoring system and thought about the words used?

If you have over a 8.00 and you've seen 100+ anime, you're what's wrong with the scoring system on MAL.
Feb 9, 2018 7:48 PM

Feb 2017
People have different rating system, whether they rate it solely based off of personal enjoyment or put some thought into it. And more anime you watched, more you experienced on stuff
ReeeiFeb 9, 2018 7:51 PM
Feb 9, 2018 7:53 PM

Feb 2015
>many people

I had not seen an exact number of those "people with low mean score"
Feb 9, 2018 7:55 PM
Jan 2018
when you watch a shit ton of anime, your score automatically decreases because only a tiny percentage of animes being produced are actually "good"
then again how can you rate an anime 10 or even 9, no anime is perfect
Feb 9, 2018 7:56 PM

Sep 2017
You're telling me that all those 10's on your list are legit masterpieces? Does that not devalue the actual few anime you find that are legit masterpieces. Watch more and you will understand that it just comes with time.
Feb 9, 2018 8:01 PM

Jan 2018
For me rating an anime has always been how much enjoyment I've gotten out of it. Sometimes, my rating is influenced if the anime actually had some sort of impact on me emotionally. Little things that differentiates each anime is what increases it's score.

I find my average rating to be a bit inflated because looking back, I've seen some bad animes compare to the ones I may have recently seen.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Feb 9, 2018 8:09 PM

Apr 2015
I'll answer your question with another question OP:

Why is it that a newbie such as yourself who has consumed little to nothing in the anime medium, doesn't use the scoring system correctly, neither has a establish clear taste in anime is going out of his way to criticize how people score shows?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 10 hours ago

16 by Vendicator »»
3 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 4 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

57 by BilboBaggins365 »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

60 by Meline0102 »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.