Forum Settings
Forums

why are so many peoples average scores so low.

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 9, 2018 8:10 PM

Dec 2016
Sometimes you just can't ignore certain things. I have enjoyed most of the series I've watched, but for me is necessary to point its failures and what could be reworked, or simply do a constructive critic about it. I like good psychologic, drama, dense atmosphere animes, but also like creativity, fun and simple things. I still haven't watched many, so score isn't that low yet xD

Also, there are a lot of hidden gems and once you know that, you always want that feeling back.

Greetings :3
Feb 9, 2018 9:10 PM

Jan 2017
TheOnlyMiner said:
ten said:
Add to the list a bunch of specials and OVAs that are connected to the series you liked but they turned out to be just stupid or really bad.

Or try to explore a genre in the hopes to find something good but not finding it.

Maybe the show was good at first but screwed up at the end.

Sometimes it doesn't matter what to watch as long as it entertains you somehow be it art, characters or music.

Always watching only good shows is actually tiring. To have a break from intensity of emotions that overflow you after some masterpiece is essential.

It is impossible to know whether you like a show or not before you actually watch it. You can guess but it still can turn out either way.

Just being a curious person with interest in particular artist/studio/director is also a thing. Most creators have a variety of bad and good creations.

Not everyone watch anime just for enjoyment or their enjoyment is not the same as yours. And as mentioned before their scoring system is most likely different from yours too.

woah an actual good answer.
thank you

are you even reading the replies here? there are quite a few good answers, no? just sayin
Feb 9, 2018 9:26 PM

Jan 2017
TheOnlyMiner said:
why are so many peoples anime rating scores so low?

Like i understand my score (9.07) is really high but i don't understand how people can have average scores like 3, 4 or 5 like what? like how can you dislike most shows you watch? like why even watch anime if you think most shows are either very bad or average 😂😂 seems stupid if you ask me...

like don't you have anything better to do with your time instead of watching stuff that most of the time you think is bad or meh?....

I love anime - great & terrible alike - and my average scores like a 6.02 or something. But - a majority of the shows that I have rated as a 1-5 range are usually off-kilter, super ancient, music, dementia, etc that aren't the norm. Most actual series for me get at least a 6 (but there are some that try so hard to be awful *cough cough* Pupa & The Reflection *cough cough*), so a series has to try pretty hard to be exceptionally bad to get below a 6 for me.

But alas, I love watching the terrible too, and as someone who's never dropped an anime ever, obviously I'm not just cherry picking the 'best' ones and my score is bound to be lower than the norm. It's okay though, I don't really get too uptight about it.

Not to brag or have a pissing contest either, but you're at 28 completed entries right now and I'm at 845. I'm watching twice as many weekly release shows for this Winter 2018 season alone as you've completed all time, so yes we're going to have some disparate average scores. But I'll bet you when you reach 800+ entries completed, your score will have significantly dropped by then, too.

Feb 9, 2018 9:27 PM
Jul 2018
Lower ratings correlate with higher IQ here.
Feb 10, 2018 12:23 AM

Jul 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:

So by "relative scale" you mean a scale that simply expands to fill the scale available?
A relative scale shouldn't have to expand. If your very lowest ratings are the things you liked the very least, and your very highest rating the things you liked the very most, your scale shouldn't have to expand or change, unless you're breaking new ground, like finding a show that completely blows everything you've seen out of the water (one way or another).

It seems like what you're talking about only works if you also do things like "don't rate shows dropped that you hate". If you drop stuff you hate but also rate it very low, then suddenly your 1 no longer consistently means "it was bad but I was at least able to complete it", and instead you'll have to move up some existing 1s and squash your scale.
Excuse me, what?
The scale readjusts, yes. You will have few 1s, yes - just like you should have few 10s. But if you score all these bad shows then not only does the scale get squashed, it also means that you are scoring more bad shows which automatically leads to a lower mean again.

This doesn't mean that other users aren't using a "relative scale". In fact, given that there is no real absolute definition of preference/quality/whatever, everyone is using a "relative scale" since it's basically all comparisons on an arbitrary 1 to 10 scale anyway. Instead, it just means that you're explicitly refusing to rate certain things, in order to expand your scale more.
Excuse me, what?? You said enjoyment bias is the reason scores are skewed, and I used myself as an example of why that is not the case. This doesn't make any sense. Look at this dude: https://myanimelist.net/profile/KyoumaZ
He rates dropped things and uses a relative scale. If you look at his shows, he mostly watched shows that are acclaimed and that he thus thinks he'd like.

>but he has more 1/10s than 2/10s
I'm not advocating for a bell curve. Just making sure.

And yes, MAL people do use ""relative"" scales. But really, they are more relative scales pertaining the emotion they felt and not a relative scale comparing everything they ve watched (if possible). From what I can tell, an average MAL users ""relative scale"" looks like this:
The problem with this scale is that its highly unlikely an anime is so bad that you wnt to kill yourself. And even then I think I was too nice with that scale considering MAL average mean scores are prob a bell curve around a 7/10 mean x)

(Or by "relative scale" do you mean that you specifically try to tailor your rating scale such that the average comes out to be around 5.5? Seriously, you're using the term "relative" in a weird way, to contrast between different things that are all inherently relative anyway.)
>clicks on my profile
>my mean isn't 5.5
Honestly, what mental gymnastics brought you to this idea? All I'm saying is that if you employ a full, relative scale, it is most likely for you to end up around a 5.5 mean score no matter whether you only score shows you think or thought you'd like. IT is however highly unlikely that most users end up at around a 7 mean score, and the justification you gave for this was enjoyment bias which on an actually relative scale comparing the shows wouldnt be an issue. If you're mainly watching shows you like then that doesnt equal a relative scale gets skewed to what many people on here have as mean scores. If, for example, someone has a mean score of 8, then I will say that their relative scale is fucked and they arent using it fully (the same goes for people with a mean score of 3, mind you).

Also with regards to "nuance", whether that nuance is meaningful beyond just your own tastes is an open question. I don't think it's possible to make a meaningfully consistent distinction for more than about five (or maybe seven) gradations such that the distinction actually means the same thing (as far as a personal like/dislike type of opinion goes) to a variety of different people.
That's weird. I even differentiate between stronger and weaker 7s and 8s and such. Most people I converse with do this. Like, just look at the shows you scored e.g. an 8 and look for one of your least favorite shows with that rating and one of your favorite shows with that rating. (so, really, just apply another relative scale on the rating of 8/10) It's definitely possible. I chose to utilize the full scale because it makes it easier to differetiate series by how much I like them, which is the reason behind scoring shows, anyway (in like 99% of cases). And if MAL's mean score on average is close to a 7 (this means that there are metric tonnes of people with mean scores above an 8), then I choose to question the value of doing so.
Feb 10, 2018 12:48 AM

May 2009
PizzaOnPineapple said:
[most of the post]

So basically, you're relatively confident of your scores that you won't feel the need to readjust them because you don't expect to "break new ground"?

Well, whatever. Suit yourself.

PizzaOnPineapple said:
Also with regards to "nuance", whether that nuance is meaningful beyond just your own tastes is an open question. I don't think it's possible to make a meaningfully consistent distinction for more than about five (or maybe seven) gradations such that the distinction actually means the same thing (as far as a personal like/dislike type of opinion goes) to a variety of different people.
That's weird. I even differentiate between stronger and weaker 7s and 8s and such. Most people I converse with do this. Like, just look at the shows you scored e.g. an 8 and look for one of your least favorite shows with that rating and one of your favorite shows with that rating. (so, really, just apply another relative scale on the rating of 8/10) It's definitely possible. I chose to utilize the full scale because it makes it easier to differetiate series by how much I like them, which is the reason behind scoring shows, anyway (in like 99% of cases). And if MAL's mean score on average is close to a 7 (this means that there are metric tonnes of people with mean scores above an 8), then I choose to question the value of doing so.

I do have different preferences between shows I've given the same score to, but here's the key points:

2. These preferences change very easily over time. Often they literally depend on my mood.

1. More importantly, I'm not talking about the differences in the scores having meaning to me. I'm talking about the differences in the scores having a common meaning shared between people.

If you talk about liking vs. disliking a series, people know what you mean.
If you talk about liking vs. loving a series, people know what you mean.
If you talk about loving a series vs. having it as a favorite, that distinction starts to get fuzzier.
If you talk about the difference between an 8.7 and an 8.8, (1) most people won't know what you mean the difference to be, aside from that the higher one is probably one you like better, and (2) other people's idea of what the difference between 8.7 and 8.8 is unlikely to be the same as your idea of that difference.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 10, 2018 12:50 AM

Dec 2013
I think it's just a matter of people understanding the rating system differently. Some people think that if you rate a show 5, you hate it. Imo 5 should be the average. It is in the middle of the scale for a reason.

Not that it matters because I'm too lazy to rate my stuff anyway.
Feb 10, 2018 12:51 AM

Apr 2012
Regarding a large number of anime as deserving of low scores makes perfect sense, but actually watching such anime for long enough to score them seems a bit odd to me. I regard 5 as a strict average, but I nevertheless rarely give low scores to anime because I'm quite good at avoiding watching the bad ones in the first place. (Or watching just one episode to see how good it is, and concluding it probably isn't.)
Feb 10, 2018 1:16 AM

Jul 2016
GlennMagusHarvey said:
PizzaOnPineapple said:
[most of the post]

So basically, you're relatively confident of your scores that you won't feel the need to readjust them because you don't expect to "break new ground"?

No. That's not it at all.
Full relative scale tutorial: The thing you liked the very least out of everything you've watched gets the very lowest score. The thing you liked the very most gets the very highest score. Then you go towards the middle step by step. Done. Your mean is now probably somewhere in the 4-7 realm. Now if we are using a full relative scale, you'd be around a 5.5, right? The person you initially responded to said this. You said the reason why the MAL average score is skewed so high is becuase of enjoyment bias. I said no, it's because they dont use a full relative scale. That is it. That is all I wanted to accomplish. I am saying the reason why this skewing of MAL mean scores from the mathematical average is there is because people don't use a full relative scale comparing the shows. That is all.

I do have different preferences between shows I've given the same score to, but here's the key points:

2. These preferences change very easily over time. Often they literally depend on my mood.

1. More importantly, I'm not talking about the differences in the scores having meaning to me. I'm talking about the differences in the scores having a common meaning shared between people.

If you talk about loving a series vs. having it as a favorite, that distinction starts to get fuzzier.
If you talk about the difference between an 8.7 and an 8.8, (1) most people won't know what you mean the difference to be, aside from that the higher one is probably one you like better, and (2) other people's idea of what the difference between 8.7 and 8.8 is unlikely to be the same as your idea of that difference.
You can't read the difference of a strong 8 and a weak 8 (to me) out of my score, yes. But the thing is I know the difference. As far as I know, there are no such scores as 8.7 on my list, but I can differntiate between the shows on my list anyway. If you want this to carry any meaning for other people then you'll need to give reasons and justifications, yes. But do you really rate for other people?

Even then, using a full relative scale makes it easier for others to recognize the degree of how much you like something.
Feb 10, 2018 2:03 AM

Dec 2017
TheOnlyMiner said:

Like i understand my score (9.07) is really high but i don't understand how people can have average scores like 3, 4 or 5 like what? like how can you dislike most shows you watch? like why even watch anime if you think most shows are either very bad or average 😂😂 seems stupid if you ask me...

like don't you have anything better to do with your time instead of watching stuff that most of the time you think is bad or meh?....

Simple Bad Anime : Good anime amount is 5:1
Feb 10, 2018 4:56 AM

Jun 2011
What it takes to get a lower mean score:

Step One: The best way to have a lower score is to have simply seen more anime than most people. which starts to happen around #200-500 and 100+ days.

Step Two: be over 20 years old. being over 20 gives you perspective. Even being 18+ in the fandom will start to make you feel isolated from the other members of the community. Not being in high school... suddenly those high school shows stop being a point of relation.

Step three: Actively seek out bad anime for entertainment but give it a low score anyway. Because it was bad. But so bad it was entertaining. You aren't sure really want to score it. It deserves a 1 in your mind though.

Step four: Watch mediocre music videos and anime from before 1960.

Step 5: Watch CGI shorts anime like Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls. and laugh your butt off at how bad it is and how they thought it was acceptable to put it on a streaming service in the first place.

Step 6. Question your sanity as you dive deep into the ecchi genre and actually try to find something quality.

Step 7. Consider watching hentai.... and then watch at least 100 titles in the genre.

Step 8. Get a crazy idea in your head and complete the yaoi and shonen ai titles. Then move on to Yuri and Shoujo Ai. Wonder outloud to yourself why Shonen ai is both more entertaining and worse than Shoujo Ai.

9. Wonder if your taste is shit and you like shit because shit is funny. Then continue to rate things low that you like, like you are tsundere. Too embarrassed to admit to your taste.

10. Achieve full freedom to rate even things that are "well animated" and are considered "masterpieces" by others a 1. Then go back to those titles I talked about previously that "deserved a 1 because quality" and raise their score. Piss everyone off that you hate Madoka Magica and Death Note as much as you love stuff like Urotsukidouji. Accept that people who love Mirai Nikki for some reason hate School Days and you are the opposite. Embrace your true taste being just too niche for most. Embrace that nobody likes what you like. Accept yourself. Love yourself. Feel that you are worth it to keep living. It has been a long journey of self acceptance. My taste isn't shit, it is just different.

Energetic-NovaFeb 10, 2018 5:04 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Feb 10, 2018 5:10 AM

Jun 2011
PizzaOnPineapple said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Full relative scale tutorial: The thing you liked the very least out of everything you've watched gets the very lowest score. The thing you liked the very most gets the very highest score. Then you go towards the middle step by step. Done. Your mean is now probably somewhere in the 4-7 realm. Now if we are using a full relative scale, you'd be around a 5.5, right? The person you initially responded to said this. You said the reason why the MAL average score is skewed so high is becuase of enjoyment bias. I said no, it's because they dont use a full relative scale. That is it. That is all I wanted to accomplish. I am saying the reason why this skewing of MAL mean scores from the mathematical average is there is because people don't use a full relative scale comparing the shows. That is all.

You can't read the difference of a strong 8 and a weak 8 (to me) out of my score, yes. But the thing is I know the difference. As far as I know, there are no such scores as 8.7 on my list, but I can differntiate between the shows on my list anyway. If you want this to carry any meaning for other people then you'll need to give reasons and justifications, yes. But do you really rate for other people?

Even then, using a full relative scale makes it easier for others to recognize the degree of how much you like something.

I can agree to this. I scale on Hate, Dislike, Like, Love/Favorite.

Hate/low quality- 1. Hate high quality, not boring (usually in the laughs department)/2-3. Dislike low quality 3. Dislike high quality 4. Neutral is the hardest to realy put labels on but- Meh, not offensive, not inspiring, forgettable, missing an end. Good anime with more than half the episodes being not up to my taste... these are all 5-6. 7-8 are anime I like. 9 are loved high quality anime that are not my favorite. 10 are loved anime that are my favorite regardless of quality.

I am working on trying to figure out what to even do with all the so bad it is good narm classics. They are the hardest thing to really place on my scale. I have thought about picking a number for them and let them have it all to themselves. But those anime get scores from 1-4, and 10 from me. XD I am so all over the map with those.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Feb 10, 2018 6:29 AM

Aug 2015
People like you are the exact reason why the anime scores are so fucked.
"Let's just give every anime that i watched a 10"

You know you can rate an anime like a 6/10 and still enjoy it? A 6/10 is fine, 5/10 is average.
Feb 10, 2018 6:31 AM

Apr 2017
judging by your responses op, you don't seek to understand, only to confirm your bias
Feb 10, 2018 6:50 AM

Aug 2015
TheOnlyMiner said:
Corvus8 said:
People like you are the exact reason why the anime scores are so fucked.
"Let's just give every anime that i watched a 10"
You know you can rate an anime like a 6/10 and still enjoy it? A 6/10 is fine, 5/10 is average.

lol I ones I've rated 10's are ones I've found great enjoyment in and believe there are little to no flaws in them. These are the ones I would consider rewatching all the time. (basically the ones I've obsessed over)

And i know you can rate someone like a 6 and still enjoy it. I rated Oreimo a 7 and still enjoyed it... just thought there were a few things wrong with it thats why i rated it that....

Its just kind of hypocritical to say People like me are the reason MAL scores are fucked but I could say the same to you tbh. There are other scores other then 2's and 3's. and yes Some anime's can be rated a 10 you know? Woah. shocker.

Maybe we both need to take a leaf out of each others book... I need to stop rating every thing i see a 10 and actually see the flaws in the shows I watch and you need to stop rating everything a 2 😂

Fair enough. I just have a different kind of view for ratings. A 10/10 is for me a show with absolutely no flaw and perfect in every way... which is kinda not applicable to any show that i've watched yet.
You just touched the bare minimum and most popular of anime, which is called a "casual" here on this site.
Feb 10, 2018 7:25 AM

May 2009
PizzaOnPineapple said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

FYI my least favorite things are rated 1 and my most favorite things are rated 9 (I don't use 10), and my current average is well over 5, over 108 ratings. It is currently 6.65.

For this average to be 5.5 (or 5 if I don't use 10), at least two assumptions need to be followed, neither of which is the case in reality:

1. Degree of enjoyment would have to be something that can be accurately measured by a linear scale, and furthermore, accurately spaced by a linear scale that only has numbers from 1 to 10. If they're not accurately spaced, or if they're simply not accurately spaceable (which is actually the case), then simply changing the spacing (and thus the weights on each rating) can get you whatever average you want. (Meanwhile, compressing enjoyment into a linear score is compressing a multidimensional quantity into one dimension...)

2. Furthermore, I would then have to purposely structure my scores according to the express goal of getting a certain average score. This is (1) even more arbitrary, and (2) would require reworking scores every time I add a new one.

If you personally prefer to do these things, good for you. Meanwhile, the scale I use is both full (with the exception of not using 10, but we've been talking about use or non-use of the low scores here) and relative (because it does compare my preferences between things on an essentially arbitrary scale). Despite being both full and relative scale, it does not conform to the mathematical criterion you cite, which means you need a new name for your thing.

FYI the person I responded to, which response caused you to respond to me, said this:
Lanor-sama said:
10 point system from 1 to 10 meaning the mathematical "average" is like 5,5.

So basically a tossup between 5 and 6.

PS: Thank me later when you need basic maths...
Nowhere does this person use the term "relative scale" or "full relative scale". Also this person's average score is 6.28.

PizzaOnPineapple said:

Well, you can use your rating scale for whatever you wish. I use it as a simple record of how much I enjoyed each thing, in such a way that this preference is meaningfully communicable to others. Otherwise I could just make my own list somewhere and use as arbitrarily low and high number as I want. Or, better yet, use multiple numbers, since enjoyment is more properly represented as a multidimensional thing.

But "even then", using the arbitrary system you've defined -- trying to peg the average to a certain number -- makes it harder for others to recognize the degree to which you like something. Because then, the meaning of the exact numbers changes as the numbers change. And frankly, no one would bother to adjust their rating scale constantly to match a specific average.

What you actually mean is probably simply to use the full range from 1 to 10 instead of arbitrarily ignoring the lower scores. Curiously, I actually already do this, with the exception that I drop 10 so my average ought to be 5. Except, I tend toward being lenient with my ratings because I enjoy "buying into" a story and "going along for the ride", so my average is 6.65, and I'd fully expect someone with pickier taste than me to have a lower average. Now this is an example of being easier for other people to recognize the degree of how much I like the shows I've watched.

Energetic-Nova said:
I scale on Hate, Dislike, Like, Love/Favorite.

Hate/low quality- 1. Hate high quality, not boring (usually in the laughs department)/2-3. Dislike low quality 3. Dislike high quality 4. Neutral is the hardest to realy put labels on but- Meh, not offensive, not inspiring, forgettable, missing an end. Good anime with more than half the episodes being not up to my taste... these are all 5-6. 7-8 are anime I like. 9 are loved high quality anime that are not my favorite. 10 are loved anime that are my favorite regardless of quality.

I am working on trying to figure out what to even do with all the so bad it is good narm classics. They are the hardest thing to really place on my scale. I have thought about picking a number for them and let them have it all to themselves. But those anime get scores from 1-4, and 10 from me. XD I am so all over the map with those.
I basically do something like this.

9 = love
7 = like
5 = meh
3 = dislike
1 = hate

Then I use the other numbers as adjustments where needed. But fundamentally I'm just using a five point scale.

I got fed up with more complex rating systems and having a meaningless bottom few numbers and questions about what exactly my ratings meant, one day, so I just scrapped my previous ratings and redid everything. Stuff I liked a lot tended to get a higher score than before, and stuff I disliked tended to get a lower score than before but there's less of that so it's not as easy to tell.

I reconciled "so bad it's good" by ignoring what it means to be "so bad it's good" and instead just rating on my own enjoyment, and furthermore also allowing myself to not rate things if I feel that they don't fit right on such a scale.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Feb 10, 2018 8:03 AM
Jul 2018
TheOnlyMiner said:

Because everyone today is an "elitist" and any anime that is not a copy of FMA, Code Geass or Angel Beats is automatically shit.
Feb 10, 2018 8:18 AM

Nov 2016
>understands that his own average mean is far off from the actual average
>doesn't understand why other people are closer to the actual average
>probably doesn't understand the definition of average
>relies to much on numbers
>thinks of other people as stupid..

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 10, 2018 8:25 AM

Jan 2013
Probably been said to death already but people go out of their way to make their 10s and 9s, 2s and 1s, actually mean something. I save those values for things that are at unprecedented levels of quality. 4/10 anime can still be enjoyable, by the way.
Feb 10, 2018 8:54 AM

Nov 2016
TheOnlyMiner said:
FMmatron said:
>understands that his own average mean is far off from the actual average
>doesn't understand why other people are closer to the actual average
>probably doesn't understand the definition of average
>relies to much on numbers
>thinks of other people as stupid..

> Knows my score is far from the average and thats why i said I know my score is really high
>Technically yes but i was commenting on how people mean ratings are in the "bad" or "very bad" scores and the reason why they watch anime if most of their scores are considered in the "bad" or "very bad"
> Knows the definition of average
>ok sure lol?
> Doesn't think other people are stupid. just questioning why peoples scores are so low and still continue to watch so much. (which a lot of people have kindly answered without being a nonce like you)

I know that you're aware of your own average being high,you stated it in the OP. It's more about that you're ok with your own stance while dismissing the approach of others.

What I also got from your OP was...like why even watch anime if you think most shows are either very bad or average😂😂seems stupid if you ask me

just quoting yourself xD

Don't know how else I should interpret your post.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 10, 2018 9:39 AM
May 2017
TheOnlyMiner said:

By low score, I'm going to assume its an average score of less than seven, judging from your absurdly high score. From what I've seen, it comes down to two factors: Number of good anime and the rating scale

A wise man once said, "90% of everything is shit". While that may not be universally true, there is a vast amount of shitty anime compared to anime commonly referred to as "good". There are literally tens of thousands of anime that have been created, logically, not everything is going to be amazing. Just taking a quick glance of your profile tells me you haven't watched too many anime, and mostly ones that are already considered good by MAL, such as Code Geass and Attack on Titan. You simply haven't consumed enough anime to really see the vast difference in quality that anime can have.

The rating scale is another big factor in people's "low" average scores. Looking at your scores, it seems like you rate anime based on how much entertainment its given you. That's perfectly fine, but that's not the way some sections of the MAL community use to rate anime. What a lot of people do(like me) is use the official MAL scoring system or some version or hybrid of it. To me, a six isn't a bad score. It means I liked the anime, but I would be hesitant recommending it to someone else or to try and watch its sequel. To me, this system gives me more nuance in rating anime in general, even if I can't quickly remember what it was about, I can determine its general quality in just a glance. So with people with average scores of 5 or 6, it means that overall, they've liked the anime they watched or thought that a lot of it was average, which makes sense the more anime you consume.

TLDR: 1. Not a lot of amazing anime out there compared to average, or bad ones. 2. People use different scoring systems than you.
Feb 10, 2018 10:58 AM

Aug 2017
- Maybe cause they have a heart of salt shaker.
- Maybe they get paid for wise comments on youtube as well.
- Troll reasons
- Or they truly disliked a show.
Feb 10, 2018 11:29 AM

Sep 2015
S-quare22 said:
their rating system is kind of different, those people consider 6 and 5 to be good and they rarely give 10.

I'm pretty sure that's how you're supposed to use a 1-10 scale. It's a shame it's considered 'different'.

Nyah_Chan said:

Personally I believe a healthy mean score is between 6.50-8.00ish...

Lower than 6.50: Why the fuck do you even watch anime if you hate it so much?

I mean, a 6/10 from me means I considered an anime to be enjoyable and I will say I liked it. A 6/10 is a higher than average score. What sort of logical jumps are you making to be able to construe calling something 'above average' as 'something I hate'.

I'm really curious as to the logic behind this, because the tripe you're coming out with is pretty fuckin' stupid.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 10, 2018 12:10 PM

Jun 2011
Cynicism.

CharlesMarlowFeb 10, 2018 12:13 PM
Feb 10, 2018 12:19 PM

May 2017
Because everyone , including me and you is full of shit and no one wants to give a fuck .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 10, 2018 1:53 PM

Jun 2015
It's different for anybody.

Considering you are pretty new in terms of both stuff you watched and the number of the stuff you watched, if and when you go into more obscure or even seasonal stuff, you'll come across more mediocre, less interesting stuff.

But having lower criteria for scores isn't something you should pay attention to that much. It's a matter of your personal preferences.
I also have kinda low criteria and try to like anything I watch as much as I can. Other people's 5 to 7 is my 8 so I get crap for that sometimes but I don't really care.
Point is, everyone has different criteria/opinions and some people are more strict than others, but at the end of the day your score should be used purely for getting across how much you liked an anime, and liking it more than other people is completely fine.
Feb 10, 2018 1:57 PM

Apr 2014
they watch shows that they do not end up liking
Feb 10, 2018 3:12 PM

Jul 2016
It depends on how you look at it.
For example, 6 is a score I give to anime shows I somewhat enjoyed while anime shows I cannot stop watching, doesn't want them to end, have a great cast of characters etc...I will give 7-9.
5 is for somewhat ok shows and 4-2 are bad to worst anime shows (crap story, characters you don't want to see any more, and more....)

"We become what we think about"

If you want to succeed in life, plant the next goal you want to achieve in your brain, and work toward achieving that goal. write as specifically as you can the path you need to go through to get to the goal, and If that is really what you wished for, work toward it, and you will achieve it.
Blog

Feb 10, 2018 3:41 PM

Jan 2016
While I do a hundred percent rate with enjoyment as a priority, I also have watched quite a lot of anime where my standards changes every time I watch an anime hat blew me away(or what a 10 is for me). I also make use of MAL's full rating scale. But then again, I still think that my scores is at the relatively higher averages sooooo yeah.
Feb 10, 2018 4:07 PM

Jun 2016
Reina_Orikasa said:
My two(three) cents:

1. People are very critical of the anime they watch.

2. They give it a bad score after one episode and drop it.

3. The anime gets off to a good start but crashes and burns during the middle/end.

A 5 score is exactly what I would give to a show that is 'average' in my eyes.

A score is just an opinion. And everyone has different opinions.

Pretty much this quote, at least imo.
Feb 10, 2018 6:02 PM

Mar 2016
its not hard to see everything as good when all youve seen is shit
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Feb 10, 2018 8:12 PM
Feb 2017
Because they like being an elitist. I think its because you haven't seen that many anime. I used to have a mean score of 8 and it dropped to around 5 without intending it to happen.

Feb 10, 2018 8:17 PM

Apr 2016
Depends honestly. You can watch critically acclaimed shows knowing they're good, or you can watch garbage knowing it's garbage.
Feb 10, 2018 8:40 PM
Aug 2013
First, i think you only watch good titles, try watch other titles to know what bad story is.

Second, you maybe don't know how it feels to be dissapointed by the anime in the ending

Third, so many poeple watch the anime cuz the other reasons, such us the voice actors/actress, or the music/opening/ending

Squidster said:
Because I'm a huge masochist and shitty anime is my fetish.

Man, that just god damn right, lol
Feb 10, 2018 10:43 PM

Oct 2017
From what I have seen so far (181 anime), most anime are just crap, so that leads to a low average score
Feb 10, 2018 10:50 PM
Jul 2018
I think my average score is average, At the moment, I pl;an on doing a rating system some time soon
Feb 10, 2018 10:53 PM
Aug 2017

i treat scores like my preference in waifu
Feb 10, 2018 11:05 PM
Sep 2015
because they want themselves to be seen as elitists and "not your average weeb"
Feb 10, 2018 11:10 PM
Sadist

Jun 2016
5 is average.. So if you have an average scire of 9 that means that youve only watched significantly better then average anime.. I have not
Feb 10, 2018 11:17 PM
Sep 2015
Valeofruin said:
5 is average.. So if you have an average scire of 9 that means that youve only watched significantly better then average anime.. I have not
tbh if you look close enough the average is like a 7 on myanimelist
Feb 10, 2018 11:19 PM

Feb 2018
Aren't it will make them looks more edgy or something?

i don't bother to rate it as long as it enjoyable tho
Feb 10, 2018 11:34 PM

Jul 2013
the more anime you watch, the more the score goes down i think. especially if you try some anime out of your comfort zone. my average used to be in the 9's and high 8's but it's gone down to a high 7 and will probably go down more by the end of 2018

especially since i started checking out a lot of the seasonal stuff instead of looking for completed, recommended anime.

oh yeah also
after watching more anime
you might go back and try to rewatch some anime you used to rate 9-10 and realize how generic they actually are
that's what happened to me with some reverse harem anime and some romance anime.

edit:
I also score the anime i put on hold or drop, so that lowers my score it seems
SkyFullOfStarsFeb 10, 2018 11:46 PM
Feb 10, 2018 11:39 PM

Jun 2016
They want to act cool,they start the show with the mentality to give it a mean score from the beginning. (mean scores like 3-4 )

Feb 10, 2018 11:47 PM
Sadist

Jun 2016
AndyisLegend said:
Valeofruin said:
tbh if you look close enough the average is like a 7 on myanimelist

True! This phenomenon can happen even if everyone uses the same standard for assigning ratings! Lets say I release 10 anime.. Everyone organizes anime in order of their favorite to least favorite.

Naturally they are instructed to give a score of 1 to their least favorite, and a score of 10 to their most favorite. What is the mean (average) of their scores?

The answer is 5.5.

Now riddle me this... Did you know my anime list uses a shows POPULARITY as well as the actual scores to calculate a "Weighted" MAL score?

https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime

The way it works is simple, popularity is compared to the "Average' popularity across the db. This means that every year, as anime becomes more mainstream you wind up with some, formerly highly rated shows keep falling while hype shows get propped up.

So lets say in the scenario I give, the next season we could go the same thing with 20 shows.. However due to word of mouth and tech advancement the next 20 are now twice as popular as before and hence have higher average scires!!

The median score. Can stay stagnant at 5, but the average can easily be 6+

Ultimately when it comes to ratings; those 7/10 shows are sort of like the yardstick to use to measure your 5s
Feb 10, 2018 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
For me, I have my rating at a 5.52 and I think that is a good enough rating as it shows. But if you remove all of the anime areas that isn't within the last six years, that rating goes up to 6.13 which is what I would like to rather stay at.

So of course your rating will go down, the more anime that you watch and that is probably is what going to happen with my rating.
Feb 11, 2018 12:42 AM

Jul 2017
There are plenty of bad anime that can be very enjoyable or amusing and don't necessarily deserve a higher score.

This season's Killing Bites is a great example of that.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Feb 11, 2018 1:43 AM

May 2010
I try to not watch too many shit anime intentionally, and that's why I don't have a low mean, so I don't get it either :< When someone is below 6.00 I probably won't trust their recommendations, sounds too elitist-ish to me.
Feb 11, 2018 2:04 AM

Nov 2014
Having a centralised average allows for greater spread of scores, which helps express my opinion through relative scoring.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Feb 11, 2018 4:05 AM
serendipity

Oct 2015
how are we supposed to know they're shit in the first place if we don't watch them

✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
i'll be a
bad girl who's
always good to her
boy
✁✃✁✃✁✃✁✃✁
Feb 11, 2018 6:47 AM

Dec 2013
the lower your score is the bigger the critic you are desu
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 32 seconds ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
32 seconds ago

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - Yesterday

38 by Acctra »»
7 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

15 by ST63LTH »»
9 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 4 hours ago

12 by NonAtmospheric »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

111 by logopolis »»
50 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.