Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 8, 2018 9:40 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Feels kinda different without Hotaru there. Still, Kokonotsu's father is here and he's an awesome dude.

Saya is still here along with her bro and they bring in a good amount of humor.
Feb 8, 2018 10:19 AM

Apr 2010
Seems the plan for a convenience store went down the drain.
And it seems the Dagashi isn't doing well either seems the state is was in.
Guess the characters have a lot to work on.
Feb 9, 2018 9:24 AM

Jul 2017
I miss Hotarou already, but I still thoroughly enjoy this episode and it's still the Dagashi Kashi I like. Winter is great too, because it's winter now.
Feb 9, 2018 8:30 PM
Sep 2012
I loved the gag put a move on it you cog. Reminded me of the old Nun n Honey commercials anyone remember that. How about the parody of it on the Chris Rock show which name I can't repeat.
Feb 9, 2018 9:06 PM

Jun 2015
It feels quite different when Hotaru is not there. Things were gloomy when she left. Kokonotsu's father is funny as always. Saya was too cute. Lots of work to do to revive the shop. "Get a Move On, You Cod!"
Feb 9, 2018 9:16 PM

Mar 2017
It was great to see You-san again. What a dude. Although LOL at being in the hospital for a month with a broken toe xD

I am not digging the vibe of the last two episodes so much, I am missing the carefree feeling of season 1. Hopefully things will pick up at the shop.
Feb 9, 2018 10:55 PM

Jul 2014
This episode reminded me of why I loved Saya in the first season but still missed Hotaru and his craziness :' (
Feb 10, 2018 12:51 AM

Apr 2016
The drama was real in this episode LeL. And the competitor (convenience store) appear!

Also i know that romance is more like a sub, sub plot in this, but god i swear if he end up with Hotaru i'll drop this hard.
Feb 10, 2018 3:31 AM
May 2013
I really really miss the feel of the first season and how it was actually focused on the snacks and dagashi shops. Honestly it was a relief not having Hotaru in this episode because the whole 2nd season has been romantic situations and the boys gawking at her body. And I LOVE Hotaru! I don't want her to be gone! Of course there was fanservice in the 1st season too but it was of a different nature, more about Hotaru being shameless than boys being pervy. I enjoy a good romance every now and then but I've never been a diehard fan of it so it's disappointing for me to see the romance aspect overshadow the snacks. And I'm usually not an art snob but the changes in character design bug me a lot. I just..ughhh I hate to be so negative about a show I used to love but I'm really struggling to enjoy this season.
Feb 10, 2018 3:47 AM

Feb 2013
His father is too much, lol, he left Coconuts all alone.
Feb 10, 2018 4:04 AM

Jan 2015
Whoops, Kokonotsu's father is back for some inspection, I guess? And he also already knows about Hotaru's win bar? Nice, old man. :)
And all that happen to Kokonotsu with Hotaru-free daliy life reminds me with Tohru when Kobayasahi is missing. :(
MasceraFeb 10, 2018 7:36 AM
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Feb 10, 2018 4:20 AM

Feb 2007
That father... :D

Nice refreshing lack of Hotaru, finally some time together for Kokonotsu and Saya now. ^_^

And I guess the competition on the other side of the road explains their lack of customers.
Feb 10, 2018 4:45 AM

Jul 2013
You breaking his toe was extremely painful to watch. I really felt his pain, ouch.

The atmosphere without Hotaru is really depressing, but, fortunately, Kokonotsu haven't given up yet. However, just when he was about to execute his plan, a new competitor appears...
Feb 10, 2018 4:52 AM

Jul 2011
Really, he noticed that store just now...?

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Feb 10, 2018 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
When will bedhead lady appear?
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Feb 10, 2018 10:23 AM

Jan 2013
I'M GOING TO BUILD UP THIS BUSINESS AND PROVIDE PEOPLE THE QUICK SERVICES THEY WANT!

*Convenience store opens across the street suddenly*

Well Fuck me I guess..
Feb 10, 2018 11:04 AM

Dec 2014
well hotaru san still missing ..I like how things are progressing
Feb 10, 2018 11:10 AM

Aug 2014
It was a good episode, the guy in the preview looks like hotaru so that might be her famous dad? I doubt it tbh.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Feb 10, 2018 11:11 AM

Aug 2014
also can someone explain the "get a move on you cod" scene? i didn't understand it and the "we should do it" part.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Feb 10, 2018 12:23 PM

Sep 2016
So, I'm guessing the plot for S2 be like

1. Hotaru got recalled back home because summer break was over and she has school to attend.

2. She has a rivalry with her brother who believes that dagashi shops are outdated and should be replaced by convenience stores.

3. To prove whose concept is better for the future of dagashi, she challenges her brother to open a convenience shop in front of Shikada Dagashi to see which shop lasts longer. Their father will be watching.

Any manga reader can confirm (in spoiler, of course)? :D
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Feb 10, 2018 12:35 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I desperately need Hotaru-chan back. I need some crazy eyes action.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 10, 2018 2:33 PM

Sep 2016
Welp, the anime has now reached where the translation of the manga is at the moment. I hope they go back someday and adapt the skipped chapters. Season 1 was weird with all the skipped chapters and inconsistencies
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Feb 11, 2018 10:34 AM
Trickster

Jun 2011
It's a lot less exciting without Hotaru around, that's for sure. But at least Saya is getting some love.

Hard to believe they would let the shop go like that, just because Hotaru isn't around. It was really nice of Saya and To to help out.

I notice near the middle of the episode that there was a colorful building across the street and I said to myself, was that always there? Turns out it was a new convenience store. Things aren't looking good for the shop.
Feb 11, 2018 11:36 AM

Nov 2013
Hotaru, ima dokoni iruno ?! </3
Feb 11, 2018 11:56 AM
Mar 2016
Well then since the shop ain't doing good , so does this mean that Coconutsu can be a mangaka?????? Not Hotaru on site, hmp, it nice to see her not being around. Nice to see Saya in her school uniform.
Feb 11, 2018 12:37 PM

Mar 2015
I noticed it on a first time (maybe they used this earlier), but a first 10 seconds of a music they used on at around 8:30 of this episode kinda remind me a rearranged version of this song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0xUl_VRCmM
Feb 11, 2018 2:30 PM

Jan 2014
PolarCyrus97 said:
I hope they go back someday and adapt the skipped chapters.

I want the bug collecting kit chapter, that one was absolutely glorious (>.<)

TheSmilingShoujo said:
Any manga reader can confirm (in spoiler, of course)? :D

The manga isn't there yet. In fact, right now, it's just a single chapter ahead of the anime, and development is slow because of the usual derailing banter.

The manga has hinted at Kokonotsu being a (Dagashi) business genius for much longer though, even during the supposedly carefree S01 chapters. That's been the whole point. Hotaru is the Dagashi maniac, with a lot of knowledge from a customer's perspective, while Kokonotsu has the knowledge as a salesman, but feigns disinterest.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 11, 2018 9:42 PM

Sep 2016
Laionidas said:
The manga isn't there yet. In fact, right now, it's just a single chapter ahead of the anime, and development is slow because of the usual derailing banter.

The manga has hinted at Kokonotsu being a (Dagashi) business genius for much longer though, even during the supposedly carefree S01 chapters. That's been the whole point. Hotaru is the Dagashi maniac, with a lot of knowledge from a customer's perspective, while Kokonotsu has the knowledge as a salesman, but feigns disinterest.

If that's the case, I'd be curious about the new characters that are about to show up, unless they were already introduced in skipped chapters. Anime-only divergence often ruins the series. S2 is still just halfway through. >.<
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Feb 12, 2018 1:13 AM

Jan 2014
TheSmilingShoujo said:
If that's the case, I'd be curious about the new characters that are about to show up, unless they were already introduced in skipped chapters. Anime-only divergence often ruins the series. S2 is still just halfway through. >.<

Nope, no characters introduced in skipped chapters. Maybe a bit more attention for Tamai-chan, but she's in S02's OP, so I hope we'll get to see a bit more of her in the anime too (You-san x Tamai-chan OTP!).

As the manga is currently one chapter ahead, the guy in the suit from the S02E05 preview has allready been properly introduced. He seems comedically promising (>.<)

I don't expect any anime-only divergence. So far S02 has been almost 100% true to the manga. Some of the side stories have been skipped, and some frames have been added, like in the manga when Saya states that Kokonotsu looks like a deepsea fish, there were no thought clouds with images of deepsea fish. Those are all just illustrative additions though, and I actually think they make the anime somewhat better at expressing some scenes, than the manga. There have been no anime-only additions so far.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 12, 2018 1:19 AM

Sep 2016
Laionidas said:
Nope, no characters introduced in skipped chapters. Maybe a bit more attention for Tamai-chan, but she's in S02's OP, so I hope we'll get to see a bit more of her in the anime too (You-san x Tamai-chan OTP!).

As the manga is currently one chapter ahead, the guy in the suit from the S02E05 preview has allready been properly introduced. He seems comedically promising (>.<)

I don't expect any anime-only divergence. So far S02 has been almost 100% true to the manga. Some of the side stories have been skipped, and some frames have been added, like in the manga when Saya states that Kokonotsu looks like a deepsea fish, there were no thought clouds with images of deepsea fish. Those are all just illustrative additions though, and I actually think they make the anime somewhat better at expressing some scenes, than the manga. There have been no anime-only additions so far.

That's good to know. Thanks for the info. :D
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Feb 12, 2018 5:22 AM

Oct 2008
So Hotaru is really gone for already 3 months?
The candy shop is in total wreck!
LOL at Kokonotsu's eye has become even more dead!
As soon as Kokonotsu and his dad became hyped-up on reviving their candy shop, epic fail immediately happened to his dad and severely broke his ring toe on his left foot! That hurts! and then plus one more month at the hospital! good thing Saya and her bro Tou helped Kokonotsu!
oh how cute of Saya! she got excited with Kokonotsu...looks like her crush on Kokonotsu is now leveled-up and now she definitely likes him!
LOL at Tou's middle dirty finger!
Now this comes in the introduction of the new Character! LOL there's a new Konbini definitely a competitor and customer sucker for sure, how unfortunate, looks like more challenges for keeping the Candy Store to run longer!
5/5.

Feb 14, 2018 12:37 AM

May 2017
The series made a piss poor job at developing romantic build ups. Coconuts suddenly in love with Hotaru even tho he's so hell bent on being a mangaka in season 1 thus basically Cucking Saya

Best girl/childhood friends never wins

Welcome to the squad Saya

I'll still finish this coz it's just 12 minutes but yeah take this 4/10
LairucremFeb 14, 2018 12:42 AM
Feb 14, 2018 9:44 AM

May 2015
The same thing happened to me (minus the broken bone) and it hurts a lot. I can’t imagine what kind of hell Coconuts ' dad is experiencing...
Feb 16, 2018 12:13 AM

May 2017
This episode felt more like a return to form. Which I'm pretty happy with.

Nice to see Saya back in form with the canines there.

Cringe to the max with Coconuts' dad though.

Always remember the importance of proper footwear.
Current Events Thread Topics...
Not even once.
Feb 17, 2018 2:27 PM

Jun 2017
Woah, Coconuts had to be in extreme denial if the shop ended up like that xD.
Feb 19, 2018 3:22 AM

Mar 2009
Damn. Hotaru is nowhere to be seen...
Aug 9, 2018 9:01 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely episode, they sure cleaned up good! That store looks brand new again and lol that ending! Well I do wonder what happens next!
Jan 15, 2020 12:57 PM

Apr 2013
D-Did I just watch an episode of Dagashi Kashi without Hotaru? Probably the worst so far :<
Oct 22, 2020 12:45 PM

May 2018
It does feel quite empty without Hotaru indeed
Aug 22, 2022 1:34 AM

Jul 2019
This anime hates feet. First Kokonotsu get his share twice and now You fucks up his pinky toe.

It was weird seeing and episode without Hotaru, but the clean up-part where Saya and Tou helped out was nice.

Good job noticing that conveniece store, Kokonotsu!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 11, 2018

111 by bluntaba_sakura »»
Mar 23, 8:13 PM

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2018

43 by Meritas »»
Feb 4, 3:32 AM

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2018

40 by Meritas »»
Feb 4, 2:52 AM

» after the anime

Kutana_0P - Apr 1, 2023

7 by KitsuFrost »»
Jan 20, 12:25 PM

Poll: » Dagashi Kashi 2 Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2018

49 by Meritas »»
Jan 10, 1:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.