Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 7, 2018 5:39 PM

Dec 2017
after all these episodes the show got me the idea of that the main plot is "understanding love/love 101 with violet", but the ending of this episode was so good

bloody past of violet and her personality is probably what keeps me going with this show
Feb 7, 2018 5:39 PM

Aug 2013
Beautifully crafted episode as always. There was a timeskip and Violet is now top tier writer. Interesting how she could write love letters like that without understanding what it is.

Kind of weird that both kingdoms had to hire a doll from another country. You would expect a kingdom should have at least 1 capable writer.

V0ltg said:
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.

Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.
UImoetardFeb 7, 2018 5:43 PM
Feb 7, 2018 5:41 PM
May 2015
Best episode so far. I liked it quite a lot.
Feb 7, 2018 5:59 PM

Apr 2016
chunng said:
Beautifully crafted episode as always. There was a timeskip and Violet is now top tier writer. Interesting how she could write love letters like that without understanding what it is.

Kind of weird that both kingdoms had to hire a doll from another country. You would expect a kingdom should have at least 1 capable writer.

V0ltg said:
I thought it was a bit weird to sent Violet to such an important client, but other than that I really liked this episode. The third episode is still the best IMO, but this one was pretty neat, too.
But I'd really appreciate it if Kyoani started adapting the novel now. Enough with the original stuff.

Does a faithful adaptation really matter that much? People could just go read the novel. If Kyoani could do amazing original episodes like this, then I am all for it.

There is always a reason why some people want the original content to be adapted. Some chapters are simply better than some of the episodes so far. I'd say most of them are better than episode 2 and 4. But I must admit, episode 3 and 5 have been done pretty well.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 7, 2018 6:04 PM

Oct 2013
chunng said:

Yes, it does to me. People have been praising the source material so much and they keep saying how it's so much better than the original stuff, so I'd like to experience it in animated form.
Feb 7, 2018 6:10 PM

Apr 2016
V0ltg said:
chunng said:

Yes, it does to me. People have been praising the source material so much and they keep saying how it's so much better than the original stuff, so I'd like to experience it in animated form.

Who knows you might be one of those people who may be really disappointed. KyoAni have really tried hard to fit this one in with the adventures and they have been successful.
If my prediction is right, the next episode would be the perfect time for novel content to be adapted. As for which chapter I do not know.
Major_GilbertFeb 7, 2018 6:16 PM

Feb 7, 2018 7:00 PM

Dec 2008
An absolutely lovely episode.
The power of words.
The beauty of letters written straight from the heart.

Next week's episode seems like it's going to be pretty damn heavy.
Feb 7, 2018 7:17 PM

Mar 2015
Delightful episode!

Violet's age reveal threw me, though.

At least Violet had a day that she smiled before her past (it seems) will return to haunt her next week.
The sword that takes life gives life
Feb 7, 2018 7:30 PM
Dec 2017
Dunno about you but violet without her doll uniform actually look like she is l 15-16 years old
Feb 7, 2018 7:52 PM
Jul 2015
spicychile said:
Wait... huh? What? Violet is around 14? I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that and only say that she made nice strides in being a competent Doll. That cliffhanger at the end got me interested for the next ep.

She said 'probably' though.

Like who knows how long ago she was being called 14.

Considering her circumstances, she probably didn't even kept track of her age.
Feb 7, 2018 7:56 PM

Dec 2014
It was a good episode but I liked the previous ones more.

Interesting, Violet claims that she think she's around 14 but she totally doesn't look it.
Pretty nice of Violet to urge Charlotte to write her own letters from the heart.

The final moments with Alberta and the princess were my favorite, that was really touching. :)
Feb 7, 2018 7:57 PM

Aug 2014
finally some development, it was a great episode.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Feb 7, 2018 7:59 PM

Nov 2007
Mikasa Ackerman is 15 btw. I really don't get the fuss about Violet being 14. It seems like people will nitpick on just about anything.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 7, 2018 8:28 PM

Aug 2016
Wait shes 14? Whaaatttttt
Yikes.
Not sure if I'm watching the show wrongly but this all seems like filler, but next episode seems to be more interesting. Must protec that smile though.

バカ
I'm not smart, I just wear glasses
"Anime is just Japanese Cartoons, Cartoons are just Western Anime"
☁ н є ѕ ι т α т ι σ и ☁
Feb 7, 2018 9:01 PM
Dec 2013
I feel like we've progressed way too fast to get to the point where she can write good letters. And have the capacity to go and act independently for the well being of the writting contractee. I am totally looking forward to having a lot more feeling in here. Happy to see the confrontation in the end there, keeping me hooked for next week's episode.
Hopefully confronting the past and death and stuff puts some more emotions on the face of this beautiful 14 year old doll.

(She's actually 14, what the fuck man??? The ages of everyone are really fuck because all the art looks equally beautiful. Difficult to tell 14 from 24. Thankfully the FBI isn't knocking down doors in their world.)

Anyway seeing the smile was nice but I totally couldn't feel it.
IHGN Records
-Chiefbigcorn
Feb 7, 2018 9:14 PM

Nov 2007
Major_Gilbert said:
chunng said:

There is always a reason why some people want the original content to be adapted. Some chapters are simply better than some of the episodes so far. I'd say most of them are better than episode 2 and 4. But I must admit, episode 3 and 5 have been done pretty well.

I actually thought episode 2 was very good since it used Erica as a means to tell the story of how the term Dolls came to be and also gave a more insightful idea on the world just through small dialogues like how the time of peace is looming and booming of industrialization in a post war era. It also touched on how the Doll service has become a popular and the increase of demand from working class to wealthy families. It was a very well thought out episode even though the character of Erica wasn't very interesting. I think the only episode that lacked any importance is episode 4 which didn't help the story progress but was just a repetition of Violet still being a novice doll. They could have discarded episode 4 completely, jumped to episode 5 and nothing of value would have been lost.

On a brighter side, it seems this episode 5 has been well received by the fans in Japan. I think the whole Royalty setup did the trick. On a broader sense maybe episode 4, when put next to episode 5 will advocate how the Doll's service is accepted by a whole range of people from remote places in the villages to the royal courts of neighbouring countries.

I am saying this right now, and I admit that I had similar experience with ARIA the Animation and Natsume Yuujinchou in the past, but those anime became better and the repetitive nature actually built the foundation for the coming seasons. I doubt VE will have anything beyond a single cour anime so at this moment, episode 4 seems just like a waste of minutes.
Coronavirus.
Feb 7, 2018 9:44 PM

Sep 2013
Another anime original, maybe they have season 2 planned.
A nice romance between royalty told through letters.
Feb 7, 2018 9:47 PM

Apr 2014
shanimebib said:
Mikasa Ackerman is 15 btw. I really don't get the fuss about Violet being 14. It seems like people will nitpick on just about anything.

Naw. I don't think people here are complaining. They're just surprised since she has a rather mature look and also acts mature. If she was to stand next to 19+ women, she would fit right in with how she looks and act. In fact, that could be one of her strengths as she's pretty much mature beyond her years in both her looks and demeanor.

Anyways, this episode was really sweet! The whole exchange of handwritten letters is so romantic! Also relationship between the princess and Alberta! And the best of all, a smile from Violet! She really is changing!
Feb 7, 2018 9:59 PM

Apr 2016
Its good and all, but still can't get through the fact that Violet was OP loli killer, it doesn't fit.
Feb 7, 2018 10:02 PM

Nov 2007
Enternal said:
shanimebib said:

Naw. I don't think people here are complaining. They're just surprised since she has a rather mature look and also acts mature.

Mikasa is basically a Mom to Eren and some of her designs makes her look like a 20 something. Violet is far from anyone mature and acts like a child. She doesn't even understand how to behave with others or respond accordingly. A very good example was episode 1 where she downright rejected Mrs. Evergarden's kindness. However, she has made a lot of progress in the last couple of episodes and her awkwardness is becoming less and less by each passing episode.
Coronavirus.
Feb 7, 2018 10:16 PM

Jul 2014
This was by far their best ep to date, and that coming from me who got bored the hell out of the first 4 eps.
Feb 7, 2018 10:34 PM

Apr 2014
shanimebib said:
Enternal said:

Naw. I don't think people here are complaining. They're just surprised since she has a rather mature look and also acts mature.

Mikasa is basically a Mom to Eren and some of her designs makes her look like a 20 something. Violet is far from anyone mature and acts like a child. She doesn't even understand how to behave with others or respond accordingly. A very good example was episode 1 where she downright rejected Mrs. Evergarden's kindness. However, she has made a lot of progress in the last couple of episodes and her awkwardness is becoming less and less by each passing episode.

So what's the problem? You were complaining that people are nitpicking about her age. All I'm trying to say is that they're probably not. They're simply surprised since she seems mature. Also, emotionally stunted due to the environment and situations, in Violet's situation, is not exactly the same as immaturity. Immature people tend to lets their emotion dictate their actions. Violet is... a special case.
EnternalFeb 7, 2018 10:40 PM
Feb 7, 2018 10:45 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Started to get bored of the usual formula that this series relies on but I will say that ending was pretty interesting. Violet seeing a past enemy wondering why she writes letters now since she was a solider should hopefully spark something good.
Feb 7, 2018 10:50 PM

Feb 2017
Oh this is an animated original? That makes sense, the whole episode kind of felt 'off' compared to the last few, nice, but different.

Also in the '14? Bullshit!' camp, I know its here saying she is 'probably' but I am judging from the stance that the staff purposely placed that number there, though someone said she was 10 when she met Gilbert, in the flashback she looked 14....
Feb 7, 2018 11:07 PM

Apr 2016
Sorrowsenpai said:
Oh this is an animated original? That makes sense, the whole episode kind of felt 'off' compared to the last few, nice, but different.

Also in the '14? Bullshit!' camp, I know its here saying she is 'probably' but I am judging from the stance that the staff purposely placed that number there, though someone said she was 10 when she met Gilbert, in the flashback she looked 14....

Gilbert estimated her age as 10, since she couldn't speak at the time and didn't now her age herself. By the end of the war, she was 14. Now, she should be at least 15-16 since they did say that she has written many letters for her customers. I think it's a mistake by they just put her age at 14, but then again it doesn't change things that much.

Feb 7, 2018 11:09 PM

May 2015
"Doing a good job ghostwriting these past few months." So 2 letters...

14? Violet doesn't look 14...Then again, most women don't look their age...

LOL!

The prince's doll isn't romantic at all. "I wanna touch you!" The princess is only 14 man. Give her some room!

Marriage proposals at age 10? Oi, What the hell!

Lol the letter exchanges was fun. Who needs dolls? Just get them to write the letters themselves! Very sweet episode. Really liked the moment when Charlotte held Alberta's hand and bowed down. Nice moment there.

So the flower of this episode is the Rose (with Alberta's name referring to the Wild Rose). And the rose placed on Charlotte's head was white:

White Roses
White is the color of purity, chastity and innocence. White flowers are generally associated with new beginnings and make an ideal accompaniment to a first-time bride walking down the aisle. White flowers can be used to convey sympathy or humility. They also are indicative of spirituality.

Makes sense for this episode...

Wait....Cattelya was the Prince's Doll? Well that explains a lot...

Oh? Now we're going to delve into Violet's past next episode. And Dietfried is not happy with a girl going from weapon to writer? I guess this when Violet will begin to learn that the typewriter is mightier than the sword!

TarotistFeb 7, 2018 11:27 PM
Feb 7, 2018 11:21 PM

Mar 2014
reziar said:
Where are you guys watching this?
Isn't it aired on Netflix?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2018 11:24 PM

Mar 2014
What a beautiful episode it has been, from the very beginning to the end. The romance felt real and I could understand the struggles of the princess. As it seems we experienced also a little time skip. At the beginning, it was mentioned that Violet had written several good letters.

It also felt, as if the pacing might rise from now on. I'm curious, can't wait for the next episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2018 11:25 PM
Jul 2007
I found it hard to believe Violet is handling something so diplomatic already. Seems like yesterday she didn't even know how to write a letter. Now she's responsible for a letter that could make two countries hate each other? If I were her boss I would never send her on a job like that. She isn't ready in my opinion. And when she writes a letter properly, it's a spontaneous moment that is completely out of her control. Maybe she's learned that she has to get to the truth of the matter with her client, which requires asking the right questions. But, something like that is not guaranteed to work every time. It's never really conveyed that she developed a method of interviewing her clients, nor did they show anything to indicate that she has improved as a writer. We just have to assume that she's human so she must have gained at least SOME insight into human emotions and love by this point. Plus, she can't be 14. Compared to the other characters, she seems very mature. But now that I think about it, the way she carries herself and talks probably does age her up. If she was a normal girl which the typical quirky voice and expressions, 14 is kind of believable. I did read this is filler or anime original so maybe that's why this logically did not sit right with me. I never read the source material.

chiefbigcorn said:
I feel like we've progressed way too fast to get to the point where she can write good letters. And have the capacity to go and act independently for the well being of the writting contractee.
(She's actually 14, what the fuck man??? The ages of everyone are really fuck because all the art looks equally beautiful. Difficult to tell 14 from 24. Thankfully the FBI isn't knocking down doors in their world.)

Anyway seeing the smile was nice but I totally couldn't feel it.

My point exactly. I hope the show doesn't continue to throw in random character progression as it goes on because this was unrealistic.
eraltergFeb 7, 2018 11:34 PM
Feb 7, 2018 11:41 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The Charlotte letters the best of this episode!!!
Feb 8, 2018 12:02 AM

Feb 2011
In response to Dietfried's criticism toward Violet at the end: "Sorry to disappoint you, but my blood stained hands were replaced with stainless steel."
Give me at least 5 minutes to modify my post before quoting me. (refreshing page advised)
Feb 8, 2018 12:02 AM
Nov 2017
This had to be the most emotionally inviting one for me so far. I tried everything to keep it together as Alberta buckled a little in the end.
Feb 8, 2018 12:46 AM

Apr 2016
Like in a fairy tale : the two were really made for each other right from the start (but the age) and it will even help hold peace.

Reload said:
In response to Dietfried's criticism toward Violet at the end: "Sorry to disappoint you, but my blood stained hands were replaced with stainless steel."

That would have been great and also help me like Violet more than I do right now.
Feb 8, 2018 12:48 AM

Aug 2016
oh my, it's such a generic story about princess and prince. It's like i watched a girly fairy tale for SMALL GIRLS ahaha, what the heck? Are u serious, japs?
Feb 8, 2018 1:40 AM
Dec 2017
Another solid episode, the ending was actually 5/5 to me. Violet's smile is incredibly charming and satisfying, and wow, what a juxtaposition into that flashback tease. I'm definitely curious to see the outcome of this confrontation next week.
Feb 8, 2018 1:48 AM
Oct 2015
Really enjoyed this episode and we finally met the brother in real time, also I'm surprised that they skipped the opening I suppose they put the most work in this episode.
Violet being 14 is a bit major suprise.
Heckle was here...
Feb 8, 2018 1:49 AM
Jan 2018
It seems like "few months" were actually few months after previous EP.

Notable that they actually shown that Violet sticks to her military habits althouh on the inside she did change a lot.
Also curious moment with "is she crying of embarssment?" neat way to show that she came to understainding complex emotion, yet is lacking in enterpriting people.
Feb 8, 2018 1:56 AM
Feb 2016
That was a great episode! Definitely my favourite one so far. The ending of the episode makes it seem like the plot is going get really interesting from now on as well.
Feb 8, 2018 2:02 AM

Aug 2017
Best Episode so far for me.
She finally smiled...I'm so happy.
Gilbert's brother is so rude and why did violet kill his men(he was the one who introduced her to gilbert..so I thought they are on same side)... waiting for next episode
Feb 8, 2018 2:19 AM

Jul 2017
I don't know what to think about this episode. The arranged marriage stuff seemed generic at first with both royal families using dolls to write the letters because they didn't really love each other but then it turned out that Charlotte did and virtually forced it through herself with her own research (which didn't seem to fit her character of a spoilt crybaby princess). Once they started writing to each other, I did like the back and forth of the letters.

Some points I noticed from above. I did think it was quite a big job, but there seems to have been a time skip (until I read the comments I thought that it was to jump to novel content, but seems not so). And she says she thinks she's 14, but her character model isn't much smaller than Cattlayas. So obviously she is wrong, but she has no idea as she was an orphan. I really want a whole episode dedicated to her backstory, what happened before she was found? and then a couple of War stories. Her backstory is way more intriguing at the moment than what we've seen her doing so far.

I liked the symbolism of the Red and White flowers. Probably borrowed from history as it is very similar to the story of the Tudor Royal family born out of two waring families in 15th century England. The Red rose of Lancaster and the White of York.
Feb 8, 2018 2:47 AM
Dec 2016
This is getting better (I think).

Even though this was original, I feel that the story was better. Violet really showed growth in this episode. That facial expression thing she tried was pretty funny.

I hope that they start trying to adapt the original too.

Also holy shit, she smiled at the end. That flashback was cool The major's brother (I think) really must hate her.
Feb 8, 2018 3:02 AM

Jan 2016
I was completely and utterly disappointed with the episode. Violet made a major jump from last episode to this, how did that happen? How is she able to understand love now? At least via her writing

then the age thing.....14 seems way too unrealistic. 16 is young but at least that would make more sense. The Novel made it seem like the was at least 16 in the end....but alright maybe we will have a longer time period where events take place till we reach the final

The princess....it was a cute story but just why did she have to be 10 when she met her prince who was 20. That sounds a bit too much....if they went with her being 12 or 14 when they first met it would be weird but still better than 10.

The only truly interesting thing was Gilberts brother, who was quite early introduced. In the Novel he appears near the end. But we haven't even reached half of the anime so kinda excited what and how that will turn out to be. I dont think Gilberts brother will act the same way he did in the Novel, soooo if that happens the story will probably steer extremely away from the Novel one.

"Keep on dreaming" - said the dreamer
Feb 8, 2018 3:06 AM

Aug 2016
Has the show started adapting the light novel yet? I am enjoying this so far but I feel like they need to work on the pacing a little. The final scene got me dying for next episode.
4/5
Feb 8, 2018 3:27 AM

Jul 2010
This show have definitely gotten better since ep 3 for me, starting to care about the characters atleast. Nice to see Violet smile.
Feb 8, 2018 3:48 AM
Oct 2017
best episode so far. this episode was balance between laugh, drama and heartwarming moments.
nailed it
Feb 8, 2018 3:55 AM
Apr 2016
I think her training is finally paying off! This was certainly a nice episode and imho the best so far as we can see how much Violet has accomplished now.

I'm curious as to how the story will go now especially with what that guy at the end is going to say.
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Feb 8, 2018 4:16 AM
Jun 2017
Well, I quite liked that episode.

But, does anyone think that Violet's personality development is pretty quick. They are doing this because they want to catch the 12/24 episodes deadline.
Feb 8, 2018 4:18 AM

May 2015
This has been my favourite episode in a while.
Tear ducts may have opened a bit.

Seeing Violet play part in such a sweet scenario was nice.
Heck, I'd love to see an entire movie of just this love story.
Feb 8, 2018 4:22 AM

Apr 2013
Violet x Charlotte OTP.
Feb 8, 2018 4:46 AM

Aug 2017
Another filler episode. The princess was annoying. Nothing happens except for the ending. 3/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

617 by AMazingWay »»
Apr 22, 5:27 PM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2018

244 by _Anime-Lover-44_ »»
Apr 15, 1:02 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2018

422 by TabbyPog »»
Apr 5, 2:36 PM

» Do you love Violet Evergarden? ( 1 2 )

Stacias - Jul 19, 2022

90 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 5, 4:41 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 14, 2018

239 by AdrianRawr »»
Mar 30, 6:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.