Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2018 7:38 AM

Feb 2017
Hi all,

I am not sure if this is even the right series to start with but they all look the same to me.

I was recommended Gintama by several MAL members in response to an earlier anime thread I raised when I wanted to see a series thats as hilarious as "The Disastrous Life of Saiki". So I started watching.

Considering the immense fan base and the sheer number of episodes, I knew it has a really good reason for being this popular. So I watched the 1st 8 episodes of it and it seems pretty normal. I mean the setup is really weird with all the aliens and the Shinsengumi parody but other than that I didnt see anything special.

I am looking for more humor density in each episode, if u know what I mean. Sometimes, the episodes of these guys helping a poor but struggling customer remind me of the more lighthearted episodes of Rurouni Kenshin.

I know I havent watched a lot of it, so I want to know which episode of which season would be a good place to start for experiencing more humor.
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Feb 6, 2018 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
It needs a moment to get going, but once it does, the humor (probably) won't disappoint.

The reason for the "probably" is because humor is subjective.
Feb 6, 2018 7:43 AM

Feb 2017
CondemneDio said:
It needs a moment to get going, but once it does, the humor (probably) won't disappoint.

So I really should watch right from Ep1 of 1st season?
Feb 6, 2018 7:44 AM

Jan 2013
FrozenLich said:
CondemneDio said:

That's my advice. If it feels like too much of a slog, you can drop it.
Feb 6, 2018 7:47 AM

Feb 2017
CondemneDio said:
FrozenLich said:

So if season 1 still doesnt get my interest up, does that mean every other season is the same?
Feb 6, 2018 7:52 AM

Jan 2013
FrozenLich said:
CondemneDio said:

So if season 1 still doesnt get my interest up, does that mean every other season is the same?

Probably yes...?
The first season (201 episodes) basically gives a good idea of how the humor works, but only after the "setup episodes" are over. I can't remeber how much there were of them, been years since I watched.
Feb 6, 2018 8:06 AM

Mar 2017
u can drop if it does'nt get u interest up. don't force yourself watch this animu
Feb 6, 2018 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
If you have time I recommend you to watch at least about 100 first episodes from the first season.. If you like it at that time, you like it ...
I myself think that I started to enjoy Gintama at about episode 40s or 50s.. Not every episode are great, but most of them really enjoyable for me ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Feb 6, 2018 5:24 PM

Jul 2015
a lot of people say that the first 30 episodes of Gintama is the weakest part of the show(still Solid), but the comedy for me gets these small upgrades(in the consistency and punch from the comedy) After Episodes 9, 17, 24, 33, 42, 61, 82, 109, 149, 181, 215, 236(then it keeps this consistency for the rest of the series imo)
Sup...
Feb 6, 2018 5:26 PM

Jul 2015
FrozenLich said:
CondemneDio said:

start on Episode 3(the first 2 Episodes are Filler, Episode 3 adapts Chapter 1 of the manga)
Sup...
Feb 7, 2018 1:43 AM

Nov 2016
Unfortunately one can't generalize that,cause everyone is seeing this different. Some people say it takes 20 episodes to get good,others 50 or even the whole first season and then there are also the ones loving it from the very start. Personally I wouldn't say that it will necessarily get better in terms of quality,it had always some great episodes,even at the beginning,but it's true that the density of those great episodes and arcs will come rather later on.

While I enjoyed the first,I gotta say that for me there were only 2-3 dozens of really good episodes the rest was ranging from ok to meh.I also add that it might take some time until one get used to the comedy style and the show has etablished a large enough cast for funny interactions. I started becoming a fan when season 2 started, season 3 eventually made me fell in love :P

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 9, 2018 4:00 PM

Feb 2018
Gintama isnt for everyone !! :D
May 10, 2018 11:31 AM
Mar 2018
Gintama's high rank on MAL does not come from the comedy alone, since it has so much more up its sleeve. However, looking only at the comedy aspect, I would say the comedy does get better over time. The first 20 episodes or so, have ok humor, but can get absolutely crazy and hysterical later on (maybe after episode 50 or so). So if you want to watch the comedy aspect, you just need to be patient, but if you do not like it, then do not force yourself through it.

I myself have to say that I appreciate the series for everything, comedy, drama, action, you name it. In THAT case, I would say Gintama is a mesterpiece
May 10, 2018 11:45 AM
Jul 2013
FrozenLich said:
CondemneDio said:

No the thing about gintama is that it just keeps getting better and better although it makes no sense in the begining the more u watch the better it gets
Don'tget me wrong the first season is hilarious just not the first couple dozen episodes beacuse u still dont understand a thing but as u go along u start laughing more and more only to start crying over 2 episodes characters
May 15, 2018 8:47 AM

Feb 2017
Yeah I have watched all 353 episodes so far and I got quite the gist of it. Great action, unexpected comedy and more than a few feels. As for comedy, I guess its like most ppl said. First I understood nothing, not even the context of the comedy but I guess I got used to it and started laughing. Sure, with 300+ episodes and with comedy making up a lot of it, there are some quite lame things they did that ended up more as a bore than a joke. But sometimes they are absolutely hilarious. Best part of it is, though Shinpachi is defined as the straight guy, others like Kondo and even Hasegawa are able to do that without Shinpachi even appearing in the episode. I guess its kind of a break from all the yelling Shinpachi does. Coz many times its funny. But sometimes its too forced.
May 15, 2018 8:55 AM

Sep 2017
Gintama is a series that boils down to penis and fart jokes and it is supposed to be funny(what it might be if you're 12 years old) some of the battle shounen arcs are interesting though.
May 15, 2018 9:30 AM

Feb 2017
Yeah the dick, fart, ass kind of jokes were very lame. Somehow I didnt find it funny. But some are quite amazing. One of my favorite jokes is how Gengai asks Gintoki to press a button in his sword. With great expectations he does and soy sauce comes out right in the middle of fleeing from a battle. That was real fun to watch.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 42 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Tyrel - Jan 27, 2016

241 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 18, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

251 by Nymbris »»
Mar 10, 6:09 AM

» Thoughts on this season (Spoilers)

RahulSenpai - Mar 8

13 by RulyKinkajou59 »»
Mar 10, 4:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.