Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Feb 5, 2018 7:32 PM

So I know that every episode has two almost identical halves, but does that really make it appropriate to list it for 12 minutes per episode on MAL? Does it actually air in Japan as a 12 minute long episode on any channel? If it doesn't, then it doesn't really make any sense to have it listed at 12 minutes on here. That'd almost be like listing the 2009 episodes of Suzumiya Haruhi as having 9 episodes instead of 14 since 5 of the 8 version of Endless Eight are near-identical.

But whatever. If it's left at 12 min. per ep. I guess that means I can immediately record a re-watch after I finish the series.

Feb 13, 2018 2:27 AM

I think it should be listed as 24 min as well. The halves are *almost* identical, like you said, but not 100% so it doesn't make sense to list it as 12.

Mar 24, 2018 4:07 PM

By that logic, Blu-ray releases should count as different animes, so I'm fine with the 12 minute thing

Mar 24, 2018 5:27 PM

NB4Y said:
By that logic, Blu-ray releases should count as different animes, so I'm fine with the 12 minute thing

Okay, I don't fully agree, but whatever. Hopefully MAL doesn't change its mind because I just finished the series and immediately logged a re-watch.

Mar 24, 2018 6:03 PM

No idea....maybe not enough budget

Mar 25, 2018 12:23 AM

Ryuseishun said:
No idea....maybe not enough budget

On the contrary, the show didn't really have a budget.

Rather, this was done on purpose. They wanted to make it into a web anime initially, but changed it to a TV show as time went on. The producer believed this show wouldn't work so well in a full-length format, and went with half-length, instead. By Bkub's request, he decided to fill the other 12 minutes with a rebroadcast, but with different voices and minor changes.

I posted an interview with the show's producer, in which he goes into full detail on how the show came to be here
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Aug 17, 9:18 AM
Can someone tell me why mal says pop team epic episodes are 12 minutes long? when there actually 23 minutes long

Aug 17, 9:21 AM
It's 12 minutes per episode, they just play them twice with different VAs IIRC and that's how they got 24 minutes to fill the timeslot. It was basically a troll move, fitting for the show but I can understand MAL not wanting to roll with it since they did literally just show the same stuff twice if I'm not mistaken.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Aug 17, 9:25 AM
Pullman said:
It's 12 minutes per episode, they just play them twice with different VAs IIRC and that's how they got 24 minutes to fill the timeslot. It was basically a troll move, fitting for the show but I can understand MAL not wanting to roll with it since they did literally just show the same stuff twice if I'm not mistaken.
Ok, thanks.
So I guess I’ll skip the second half of all the episodes.

Aug 17, 9:31 AM

Pullman said:
they did literally just show the same stuff twice if I'm not mistaken.

You're not mistaken. I watched both, just because it was hilarious in both versions, and nothing changed.
1 hour = 10,000 yen.
2 hours = 20,000 yen.
3 hours = 3 loaves of French bread.
4 hours = 4 loaves of French bread.

Aug 17, 9:32 AM
DanLikesAnimu said:
Pullman said:
Ok, thanks.
So I guess I’ll skip the second half of all the episodes.

That's up to you. I'm sure some people enjoyed the random VA changes and slightly different feel from the second time, but personally I didn't so I also mostly skipped it.

Aug 17, 9:33 AM
Lazy

Pretty sure the first time it's in japanese, while the second time it's in french, but I could be wrong.

Aug 17, 9:35 AM

Pullman said:

That's 24 minutes per episode, to fill a 24-minute timeslot. It's a creative decision and I don't understand what does MAL have to roll with or not. Then again, I mentioned that at the time, it doesn't bother me but it surely sticks out as an odd decision.

Aug 17, 9:51 AM
jal90 said:
Pullman said:

That's 24 minutes per episode, to fill a 24-minute timeslot. It's a creative decision and I don't understand what does MAL have to roll with or not. Then again, I mentioned that at the time, it doesn't bother me but it surely sticks out as an odd decision.

I mean it's consistent with how they don't include non-animated episodes of otherwise animated shows in their MAL listings. Both decisions are questionable in some ways, but they seem to just want to credit the amount of original animation that was made for a show (unless the reused frames are reused in a slightly different context and/or intermingled with new frames, like in recaps or extended versions). That's why it doesn't surprise me.

Aug 17, 2:33 PM

it never made sense to me either. so if i think the last half of any anime episode is useless, i can call it a short? not seriously asking btw
i always watch the second half to see certain bits translated or hear the songs with male voices
but if mal wants to say i sat through a 24 minute episode in half the time, i don't care. i really don't
Modified by deafnote, Aug 17, 2:39 PM

Aug 17, 2:40 PM

Ericonator said:
Pretty sure the first time it's in japanese, while the second time it's in french, but I could be wrong.

the first half has female voice actresses, and the second half has male voice actors
i really be out here trying to get a yandere harem so we have a battle royale. still love me yanderes tho 🙏😔

Aug 17, 2:50 PM

Another artificial incoherency in the db. I especially like the part where, just in passing, MAL decides which part of a work of art is admissible and not the whole like the original authors intended.

Aug 17, 6:50 PM
Forum Moderator
got any shinies?

Posts #7 to #18 merged from a dupe thread.

challenges

forum sets
listen
source
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ