Forum Settings
Forums

[Romance Enthusiasts]Do you like it better when the male is the one discovering their feelings or when it's the female?

New
Do you like it better when the male is the one discovering their feelings or when it's the female?
Feb 4, 2018 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
I was just wondering for any other fellow romantics who do you prefer to be the more 'oblivious' side of the romance pair or the one that ends up realizing their true feelings for the other partner as the story progresses. I guess you could also say who do you prefer to be denser in the romantic story.

Like oblivious males, for example, would be (excluding harems cause let's be real most of them barely have any good romance in them):

- Your Lie in April
- Working
- Mirai Nikki
- Kokoro Connect
- Fuuka shivers
- Tokyo Ghoul (In the manga)

Whereas for females would be shows like:

- Student Council's a Maid
- Tsuki ga Kirei
- Servant x Service
- Plastic Memories
- Re:Zero

And here's excluding yaoi/yuri relationships

Realistically speaking personally I'm fine with either or, as long as the romance is good/somewhat enjoyable I'm totally fine. Generally speaking though, I prefer it more when the female is the denser of the 2, but that's just my personal opinion

What're your preferences?

Feb 4, 2018 10:21 AM

Apr 2016
"when the male is the one discovering their feelings"

Is this even a thing in todays anime ? usually the males are dense as hell and they don't understand basic human reactions.
Feb 4, 2018 10:24 AM

Jul 2016
I prefer neither of them to be dense. There are other ways of extending the length a romance besides stupidity.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 4, 2018 10:24 AM

Feb 2015
How could you let Romance enthusiasts ask something so forbidden?! They knew nothing of real romance. It's all about their body pillow. Might as well just ask what they romantically whisper to their body pillow and be done with it.

My bad, when I mean "know" I'm implying that what they know is just crazy tied up fetishes of their own and they mean it as "romance"

Who discovered it probably doesn't really matter. They've seen in miles away because of how "cliche" it is to them. Anyway, what I also don't get is how can you be a "romance enthusiasts" does having more body pillow increase your "enthusiasm" to romance? Or does knowing more about the cliches makes you "enthusiasts"?

Swagernator said:

Is this even a thing in todays anime ? usually the males are dense as hell and they don't understand basic human reactions.

Like your average MALers are any better...
Feb 4, 2018 10:26 AM

Apr 2016
I prefer females realizing their feelings. Just because.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 4, 2018 10:33 AM

Jul 2017

_Ako_ said:
How could you let Romance enthusiasts ask something so forbidden?! They knew nothing of real romance. It's all about their body pillow. Might as well just ask what they romantically whisper to their body pillow and be done with it.

My bad, when I mean "know" I'm implying that what they know is just crazy tied up fetishes of their own and they mean it as "romance"

Who discovered it probably doesn't really matter. They've seen in miles away because of how "cliche" it is to them. Anyway, what I also don't get is how can you be a "romance enthusiasts" does having more body pillow increase your "enthusiasm" to romance? Or does knowing more about the cliches makes you "enthusiasts"?

Swagernator said:

Kay fine romance lovers geeeeeez

Squidster said:
I prefer neither of them to be dense. There are other ways of extending the length a romance besides stupidity.

Yeah, that's understandable. I guess the question, in that case, would be if you were forced to choose between the male/female being the less understanding which would you choose

Swagernator said:

Love and Lies would be a recent example if the ending wasn't rushed as all hell
Feb 4, 2018 10:43 AM

Apr 2015
I prefer male characters being aware of their feelings since I feel like male characters are often depicted as far more romantically dense. Generally speaking of course. On a side note, I would like to see more romance shows that focus on those with previous romantic experiences (like Ristorante Paradiso), as opposed to the usual first-love/romance situations.
Feb 4, 2018 10:44 AM

Feb 2015
@Short_Circut

Like I said, it's the "romance" part that made me lost somewhere deep in the existential space. I think, and I firmly believe that MALers don't hold that feeling nor they have it. What they have is not "romance" but faith to their waifu. That is not love, it is devotion; faith if you will say.

Like is it just me that have a preconception that MALers and anyone, isn't a romance lovers but a devotee of their own waifu. Of their own religion that brought them salvation? Romance inclines with reality and that is something that MALers don't know and please do correct me if I'm wrong.
Feb 4, 2018 11:04 AM
Nov 2017
I'd probably go for male density. Half the dense females are incredibly awkward and immenlsy painful to watch. While I won't deny that the same applies to most males, I find the good written males that discover their true feelings are better than the female counterparts
Feb 4, 2018 11:06 AM

Jul 2017
_Ako_ said:
@Short_Circut

Like I said, it's the "romance" part that made me lost somewhere deep in the existential space. I think, and I firmly believe that MALers don't hold that feeling nor they have it. What they have is not "romance" but faith to their waifu. That is not love, it is devotion; faith if you will say.

Like is it just me that have a preconception that MALers and anyone, isn't a romance lovers but a devotee of their own waifu. Of their own religion that brought them salvation? Romance inclines with reality and that is something that MALers don't know and please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I truly apologize for not being able to comprehend the insight which you have provided on the reality that is MALusers. It seems that I had placed too high of an expectation on them, and had forgotten the basic idea that true romance is unapproachable from the 2D world, and as you mentioned, it is devotion/faith that drives users into enjoyment.

A true tragedy indeed.
Feb 4, 2018 11:06 AM
Jul 2015
I prefer it from the Male Side, like in the MC of Kenja of Mago, as I hate dense protagonists who leads a harem of girls obsessed with him, but he either feels nothing or doesn't actively seek love or search for a girlfriend.

I prefer male characters who are actively searching for love, and realizes his feelings and confess first, as that is how a real man should act.

Therefore, IMHO, the male should confess first. That is one of the reasons I love Kenja no Mago, as the male MC acts like a real human being instead of some stupid retarded dense protagonist one usually sees in harem shows.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Feb 4, 2018 11:29 AM

Dec 2013
I prefer seeing things from the female character's point of view personally, however it does not matter whether she realizes her feelings first or not. Good writing is all that matters.
Feb 4, 2018 11:29 AM

Mar 2014
Not an enthusiast but I prefer both at the same time. I hate dense, oblivious characters.
Feb 4, 2018 11:36 AM

Feb 2015
Short_Circut said:
_Ako_ said:
@Short_Circut

I truly apologize for not being able to comprehend the insight which you have provided on the reality that is MALusers. It seems that I had placed too high of an expectation on them, and had forgotten the basic idea that true romance is unapproachable from the 2D world, and as you mentioned, it is devotion/faith that drives users into enjoyment.

A true tragedy indeed.

To realize the truth is not tragedy. It is enlightenment, our waifu ought to be the stars that we can't reach for they're the salvation that brought life to MALers. They probably had realized that their life of a Plebian is cheaper than their waifu's 11 inch figurine when they fapped to her, when they had seen her pink shimapan pantsu and her cherry-colored lips so daring to be cummed... That is faith not love.

Ohhh well, after this short and brief lesson, if you wish to join our religion, we will welcome you.
Feb 4, 2018 11:42 AM

Nov 2012
My favourite is when it switches perspectives between the two leads and you get to see from their own thoughts what they think of the other, like how they did it in karekano. I find it helps make the relationship a lot more genuine then if it's one sided and you only get to hear the other persons thoughts when they verbalize it to the other. There's a lot of deeper emotions that you might have about another person that you'd be most likely way to embarrassed to say to their face and switching between the two lets us as the audience hear those thoughts. I wish more shows did that.
Feb 4, 2018 11:52 AM

Oct 2013
The gender doesn't matter as long as the character is liable to me
Feb 4, 2018 11:59 AM

Dec 2013
Squidster said:

This. Until anime drops its obsession with 'density' it'll continue to be bad.
Feb 4, 2018 12:04 PM

Aug 2015
I don't have a preference between the two. I'm fine with either as long as their romantic development is well written and they have a likeable personality. Not a huge fan of dense characters, if they're inexperienced when it comes to romance then missing one or two romantic signs early on in the story is understandable, but if they remain oblivious to blatant signs throughout then that's simply lazy writing.
Feb 4, 2018 12:24 PM

Aug 2017
There is a third option that comes up more often than not! Both at the same time!
Feb 4, 2018 12:24 PM

Jul 2017
Shuichi2 said:
Not an enthusiast but I prefer both at the same time. I hate dense, oblivious characters.

The enthusiast part was just so I could get responses from people that actually enjoy romance :P
Eh, I can agree somewhat. Having a little density/being oblivious can be somewhat enjoyable to watch, but when the characters become too dense is when I find it gets frustrating

PinkChardam said:
My favourite is when it switches perspectives between the two leads and you get to see from their own thoughts what they think of the other, like how they did it in karekano. I find it helps make the relationship a lot more genuine then if it's one sided and you only get to hear the other persons thoughts when they verbalize it to the other. There's a lot of deeper emotions that you might have about another person that you'd be most likely way to embarrassed to say to their face and switching between the two lets us as the audience hear those thoughts. I wish more shows did that.

I like that style a lot as well. It's one of the reasons why I liked Akame ga Kill's romance especially the scene where Mine and Tatsumi are separately being confronted about their love
Feb 4, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2016
I prefer it when both sides are discovering their feelings for each other at the same time. Ideally, neither side will be a dense idiot, either.

Short_Circut said:
- Mirai Nikki

That's not romance; that's brainwashing. It's still an entertaining show, but I'd hardly call Yukiteru's experience "discovering his feelings."

_Ako_ said:
@Short_Circut

Nah. Some of us don't give a dang about waifu material. I'm more interested in finding a 3D waifu who actually returns my feelings than a fictional character who doesn't even exist.

The reason I like romance anime is because I enjoy the beauty of seeing true love blossom between two characters. Granted, I might be in the minority on these forums, but still...
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Feb 4, 2018 1:07 PM

Feb 2015
@Phendrus

Good luck finding this '3D waifu' you speak of. The reason why you haven't been saved by your waifu is because you don't open yourself to her. Well, I won't go into full details of how because it involves higher knowledge of waifuwaves...

Mhhh, does that mean you enjoy oppai grab scenes because that's the only romantic scenes that can provide a romantic flag in anime, as far as I know.
Feb 4, 2018 1:26 PM

Jul 2016
Female, because I like anime guys to know what they want in someone and move on someone that satisfies it.
Feb 4, 2018 1:26 PM
Jul 2016
_Ako_ said:
@Phendrus

Good luck finding this '3D waifu' you speak of.

I was jokingly using the term to refer to a girlfriend/future wife. Believe it or not, that sort of thing actually happens for a lot of people in my world.

_Ako_ said:
The reason why you haven't been saved by your waifu is because you don't open yourself to her. Well, I won't go into full details of how because it involves higher knowledge of waifuwaves...

Uh... What?

_Ako_ said:
Mhhh, does that mean you enjoy oppai grab scenes because that's the only romantic scenes that can provide a romantic flag in anime, as far as I know.

A romantic scene is a couple riding on a Ferris wheel, one falling asleep on the other's shoulder toward the end. It's two lovers being reunited safely after a near-death experience. It's a tender kiss between two people who care about each other more than anyone else in the world. A candlelit dinner for two where both are embarrassed by the closeness of the situation, but express their feelings for each other anyway.

An accidental oppai grab, on the other hand, is just flippin' hilarious. It doesn't matter how many times I see them; I still laugh.
Important Note: I no longer - in any way, shape, or form - consider myself a moral nihilist (even in my old, convoluted definition of the term). I very much do believe there is such a thing as objective good and evil. In addition, I apologize for any of the posts I've made that are rude, aggressive, or otherwise unbecoming.

I've always striven to walk a path befitting a follower of Christ, and now recognize some of my old comments here as misguided if not outright wrong. If you happen upon them, pray do not let them darken your view of the God I serve. He is kind, even if I, at times, have not been.
Feb 4, 2018 2:13 PM

Jul 2017
Personally, I prefer it when men discover their feelings over women. In a setting where neither character is dense, it's refreshing to see a guy getting a crush just because the "girl likes guy" trope has been used so often. I have nothing against the girl likes guy trope though, just the execution of it bothers me. It's always like "omg he asked if I was ok after I fell. I LOVE HIM", when in actuality most people would ask that if someone fell right in front of them.

“The essence of good deeds and evil deeds are the same.
They’re both no more than a person’s actions to make up for a defect in themselves.”

-Yashiro Gaku (Erased)
Feb 4, 2018 2:19 PM

Jul 2015
As long the girl is not a fucking tsundere
And the guy is not a beta cuck
Then I'm fine with either
Feb 4, 2018 2:22 PM

Jul 2017
I like it whens it both tbh like in clanned and kimi ni todoke
Feb 4, 2018 2:39 PM

Jul 2017
Phendrus said:
I prefer it when both sides are discovering their feelings for each other at the same time. Ideally, neither side will be a dense idiot, either.

Short_Circut said:
- Mirai Nikki

That's not romance; that's brainwashing. It's still an entertaining show, but I'd hardly call Yukiteru's experience "discovering his feelings."

Well I mean, if you look at the beginning when he's all like "The hell is this psychotic loser?" to the end where he's all let's have sex lmfao, I'd say brainwashing or not he still develops some sort of feelings for her
Feb 4, 2018 2:48 PM

Jul 2015
_Ako_ said:

Swagernator said:

pretty harsh but i laughed my ass off anyways xd

Well...
Feb 4, 2018 3:21 PM

Feb 2015
Phendrus said:
_Ako_ said:
@Phendrus

Good luck finding this '3D waifu' you speak of.

I was jokingly using the term to refer to a girlfriend/future wife. Believe it or not, that sort of thing actually happens for a lot of people in my world.

_Ako_ said:
The reason why you haven't been saved by your waifu is because you don't open yourself to her. Well, I won't go into full details of how because it involves higher knowledge of waifuwaves...

Uh... What?

_Ako_ said:

A romantic scene is a couple riding on a Ferris wheel, one falling asleep on the other's shoulder toward the end. It's two lovers being reunited safely after a near-death experience. It's a tender kiss between two people who care about each other more than anyone else in the world. A candlelit dinner for two where both are embarrassed by the closeness of the situation, but express their feelings for each other anyway.

An accidental oppai grab, on the other hand, is just flippin' hilarious. It doesn't matter how many times I see them; I still laugh.

You're saying that you'll marry someone other than your body pillow right? That much I can understand.

What does a ferris wheel have to do with being romantic? Does it implying doing something in the ferris wheel makes it romantic?

A love can be born from a near death experience? Is that why double suicides often result from two of them falling in-love to each other? I guess that make sense. I can accept that they'll have their own romantic flag in Heaven.

A dinner sounds very romantic... Yeah, there's nothing wrong with that... Can you give me the name of the series?

Feb 4, 2018 4:19 PM

Nov 2008
An aloof guy who never cared about anything that much suddenly realizing he's in love with a girl is the f*cking most adorable thing ever, imho

Swagernator said:

Is this even a thing in todays anime ?

If you watched more shoujo, yes absolutely

Feb 4, 2018 5:02 PM
Jul 2018
Don't really have a preference for this.

I am fine with whichever one as long as the characters aren't dumb and dense as a brick.
Feb 4, 2018 8:42 PM
Jul 2015
Guys, I have never watched Mahouka Koukousei no Rettousei, but some people say that there are side couples in it ( In other words, some girls of the female cast have boyfriends, or a boy they like that's not the MC ).

Is that true or not ?

And if that's true, why didn't other school battle magic shows like Gakusen Toshi Asterisk and Rakudai Kishi follow Mahouka Koukousei's example and feature side couples too ?

It is important for me that some of the female cast are shown to like another male not the MC, as that would make it more realistic and not seem like a story where all the female cast' attention is all focused on just one guy, as that it unrealistic.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Feb 4, 2018 8:52 PM

Mar 2016
As long as that anime or manga shows the Family in the ending, then it's perfect.
Feb 5, 2018 12:29 AM

Jul 2017
As a huge fan of romance genres, I'm fine either way as long as it's done right. And I'm annoyed with both of them being oblivious of the other's feelings, but I'm a bit more annoyed if the guy is oblivious to the girl's feelings for him. Guys are also tend to be as dense as a brick. *Looking at you, Otani and Io...*
Mikura39Feb 5, 2018 12:37 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Feb 5, 2018 12:31 AM

Sep 2009
Anime guys tend to be waay too oblivious or shy; they really need to get their act together, do something, and stop acting like girls.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 5, 2018 5:17 AM

Mar 2014
Short_Circut said:
Shuichi2 said:

The enthusiast part was just so I could get responses from people that actually enjoy romance :P
Eh, I can agree somewhat. Having a little density/being oblivious can be somewhat enjoyable to watch, but when the characters become too dense is when I find it gets frustrating

I enjoy romance.. about 5% of them. Some of us will just comment on anything tho.
I probably wouldn't mind dense if at least when they got together they didn't spend a whole year being afraid to kiss each other.
Feb 5, 2018 5:31 AM

Oct 2014
I would disagree on Tsuki ga Kirei
Sure, the guy confessed first, but on the earlier episodes (episode 2, especially) it was about Kotarou realizing that he loves her, etc etc etc spoler alert.

As for the question: either is fine.
Feb 5, 2018 6:32 AM

Dec 2016
Both. That's why Kare Kano is one of my fav
Women of my dreams I don't sleep so I can't find her

Feb 5, 2018 3:57 PM

Jul 2017
Neither? I feel like that's so predictable.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Feb 5, 2018 3:58 PM

Feb 2010
I like it when both do, otherwise it usually just feel rapey.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 5, 2018 3:59 PM

Jan 2016
I'm a guy... ofc I would like to see a girl slowly realizing her feelings.
Feb 6, 2018 11:51 PM

Nov 2007
Depends on the story and how it unfolds. There is no preference of one over the other. Both can be cute and/or bittersweet. Be it Kagome in InuYasha, Ai in Planetes, Eureka in E7, Tamako in Tamako Love Story or Syaoran in CardCaptor Sakura, Tomoya in CLANNAD, Takuto in Furumuun wo Sagashite. All those development of feelings were precious to me.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

30 by PlasticRobot »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 59 minutes ago

9 by RobertBobert »»
16 minutes ago

» Is it weird that I wish strong female characters would get sad ending?

Sanjay63773 - 5 hours ago

12 by Rhaelynne »»
18 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

13 by Rhaelynne »»
23 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

26 by FedeMetal »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.