Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]
Feb 6, 2018 11:02 AM
Dec 2017
So far, the series has been going as I had hopefully expected: first episode not being so scary (or great for a FIRST episode to be perfectly honest), but as the series progresses, each episode has gotten creepier and gets under your skin.

This episode was fine. It wasn't so much horrific as say episode 4, which really fucked with me, the whole first story was really uncomfortable to watch - which is a good thing for a horror anime. This one felt more, thought experimental, and then back to Souichi was nice. I did say ep 1 was a weak start, but they got Souichi down right nonetheless. It's just probably a bad way to draw in viewers.

I hope they continue making each story more and more skin crawling until it's downright horrifying. So far, I'd give the show a 7/10.
Feb 6, 2018 1:37 PM
May 2017
souichi's stories are fucking boooooringgggggg
and the parallel worlds one is too

2/5 episode
Feb 6, 2018 2:38 PM

Jul 2016
Klad said:
I dont get why people hate Souichi. He's hilarious and makes everything funnier

pretty much you answered your own question, people read Ito Junji stuff for scare factors, not to take a U turns toward the comedic/funny area
Feb 6, 2018 11:03 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The worst episode in this season....
The first story, parallel worlds, bad although interesting to some bigger!!
The second story was a return to the naughty Soichi!!
Feb 7, 2018 4:30 PM

Jun 2010
tearofmankind said:
WandererRedux said:
Honestly wasn't a fan of this episode. Something about the way Further Tales of Oshikiri was adapted just felt off to me (although I still enjoyed the climax of the story) and we got a second Souichi story from Mannequin Teachers without the context needed from Souichi's Home Tutor. When we haven't even got one story from Tomie's anthology yet. Setting aside my own hatred for Souichi and his stories, the pacing felt way off in this segment too. The one solace that I can take from this is that this means that not all of Souichi's stories will be adapted; thank god for that!

Easily the worst episode the series has had yet, hopefully next week's episode will be better. 3/5

Someone said there would be 2 extra episodes only for Tomie.

Here's hoping that's accurate, I just hope that the rest of the episodes don't get bogged down by Souichi's stories 😅.

Klad said:
I dont get why people hate Souichi. He's hilarious and makes everything funnier

Like @Raptors0verlord said, a big part of it is people read/watch Junji Ito stories for horror, not comedy. Personally I also find Souichi utterly annoying and don't find his stories funny either, so it fails as a comedy to cap everything off 😑.
Feb 7, 2018 5:13 PM

Feb 2010
I really like the first story. I like oshikiri. I like his stories. I think they should have put the first story first where he finds out about the other dimension but I don't think it was necessary. The monsters were gross! More than in the manga haha.
But the second one I honestly thought it was hilarious. Not sure if it was intended but it was so silly to me. I laughed a ton. I liked it but not for this series. I really wanted them to animate the more creepier stories. I honestly hope they have another season because I want all the stories to be animated!
KonekonekoFeb 7, 2018 5:29 PM
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Feb 9, 2018 8:36 PM

Jan 2018
I always expect there will be another comedic story whenever Souichi shows up. Lol!
Feb 10, 2018 1:18 PM
Jan 2018
laughed my ass off on the second part damn 😂😂😂
Feb 10, 2018 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
The first half, other worlds thing, was pretty interesting.

2nd half, meh.
Feb 11, 2018 11:41 AM
Feb 2018
I agree with those expressing concern that some of the recurring characters could end up strangely favored over adopting some of Ito's better works. Circumventing his creepy classics to concentrate on recurring schoolboy stories could be a bit disappointing.

To be fair, I suppose that comes with the origins of some of these works though. Back in the day, these works originally appear in manga series collections aimed at young people . The Tomie stories even first appeared in a shojo manga publication - so you get mostly school stuff and even a sort of girl MC vs Tomie story later.

I imagine anime makers may be working along similar lines - this is for teens, so concentrate on the school age character stuff and even some straight up comedy to draw regular viewers in.

If they are going to concentrate on the recurring story lines though, I do hope Tomie gets her due. Not just cause the stories are classic and popular in Japan to begin with, but because most of them are at least interesting in general as well.
Feb 16, 2018 2:54 AM

Mar 2009
A shame that annoying kid seems to be a recurring character. -__-

The first half was okay.
Feb 17, 2018 11:37 PM

Jun 2013
I haven't read the Oshikiri stories in Junji Itou's horror series yet but it seems fucking creepy. Who was that stepping behind Oshikiri towards the end of the first half? It seems like another Oshikiri?

But it's fucking hilarious that Oshikiri's parallel selves are insecure about their heights that they would experiment on height-enhancing products. They sell a lot of height enhancing products in Asia from supplements to this weird contraption device that's supposed to "pull" your spine out hahaha

Souchi is slowly becoming my favorite, I like how he's like Randal from Recess but with the ability to curse. He's such a dork, awkward, clumsy and vengeful but he fails a lot. Plus his voice actor makes me laugh.

And Souchi's brother doesn't care that his little brother is playing with voodoo magic. The cloth teacher even spit a nail in Souchi's butt and he didn't do anything lol

Also, these elementary school children sound like middle-aged men lol
臭い-
Feb 18, 2018 7:25 AM

Feb 2015
I enjoyed the way the Oshikiri story ended with another one walking behind them. I'm not sure how to feel about Souichi, I preferred his story this time but I'd prefer something scarier instead. Good episode nonetheless.
Feb 20, 2018 11:55 PM

Feb 2016
HAHAHA YES! MC imp Souichi's back to inject some fun into this otherwise lacklustre horror series.

Cloud_IllusionsFeb 20, 2018 11:58 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Feb 24, 2018 4:15 AM

Jan 2015
When i first saw him say isekai i already knew it was gonna get bad and didnt want to watch it but actually it was pretty creepy and good. So he from another world is experimenting on people who ocme from his world and on the same version of people from his alternative's world. Creepy. And wtf do you really want to make some growth formula and thats why the person grows into those monstrosities and suffocate? WOW.
The real MC managed to throw him off cause well... you know ... scientiests arent really that strong in physical strength so he easily overpowered his other self and saved the girl, but wow what's behind him......... That you will leave to your imagination!!!!!!! but it's most likely the OTHER him from yet another universe. Grrr everyone's confused.

I had such a huge grin on my face when Souchi appeared, finally lol.Not sure if its a good thing to smile and have a great time while watching horror lol, but Souichi is intended for that, his pranks always turn around on its head. Despite liking him i kinda rooted for him to lose lol, gotta admit. Female cloth teacher was the creepiest and it was cool how she teared off that other cloth doll. And so what i realized is that if Souichi loses control or concentration, his pranks get undone? he doesnt have a permament control huh. Also wonder how he is able to bring life to those dolls... and all 3 had a different personality too.
Also liked how male teacher was sitting by the bonfire like that, and kinda helped the guys
Feb 25, 2018 4:25 AM

Jul 2009
The nail guy is back...I hate him.
Mar 1, 2018 5:03 AM

Jan 2011
Oshikiri volume was one of my favourites, and the stories work pretty well as stand alone, more so than Intersection Pretty Boy, since they all have to do with parallel worlds.

For the Souchi story there actually was a chapter that showed the teacher trying to reform Souchi that lead into this one, but it works pretty well without it anyway.
Mar 17, 2018 11:49 AM

Jun 2015
The second part of this episodes really funny, but tbh i never like Souichi and his story, he just want to curse whoever he hates. Glad he deserved what he did
Mar 26, 2018 8:13 AM

May 2016
With an infinite amount of killer Oshikiris also comes with an infinite amount of savior Oshikiris. Let's hope that the one behind them's the latter.

Taking revenge for having his bottom exposed ironically backfired (at his behind) lmao

May 21, 2018 2:16 PM

Aug 2014
The first story was disappointing, wasn't really scary at any point. Keep in mind I haven't read the original manga for this story, however the idea feels cliche to me (I shouldn't have to read the manga regardless as a prerequisite to the anime, the anime should be able to stand alone). With that being said, I imagine the body horror was probably better portrayed in the manga. In the anime, it just didn't work.

Souichi stories are always welcome, I enjoy them a lot.

The lack of animation quality is also super noticeable now. Lip movements do not sync up to what is being said, the fight between Aoyama and Oshikiri had no impact with the punches, background characters don't move, proportions on the faces of the characters are just off (especially noticeable when they're close to the camera). A good majority of the animation is stilted and is never really smooth. It's really disappointing.

As of right now, I'd give this series maybe a 5 or a 6.
CriscosandwichMay 21, 2018 2:23 PM

Sep 25, 2019 11:03 PM

Aug 2018
I adore Souichi 😂
It would have been awesome to have his own anime 😍
Dec 23, 2019 7:18 AM
Jun 2013
That whole mansion shit was pretty creepy especially that transformation scene showing the bones. Though why did that guy keep living in that house knowing the situation he was in. Also god dammit another Shouichi episode. I'm sorry but I really really dont like this character and I tend to tune out when hes on. I really would like to know why he was created.
Mar 9, 2020 12:43 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The beard thing was so weird xD
Oct 22, 2022 1:43 AM

Dec 2009
The Ongoing Tale of Oshikiri is great and another one of my favorite series from Junji Itou.
Unfortunately it only adapts the first chapter of two, but it's a fun horror from Itou in how Oshikiri has murderous alternate selves who experiments on his classmates.
The cast's acting and deaths were great, especially the last one of the evil Oshikir's bones expanding in length while his voice changed as he faded to his death. 7.5/10.

Souichi's story of having cloth puppets replace his teachers which drains their souls is another fun story from him while being somewhat funny to his humiliation and cursing one of his classmates with a beard.
Surprisingly and somewhat disappointingly it completely removed the prequel to this event of a doctor quickly followed by his teacher (the one who first gets a soul draining puppet) attempting to support Souichi in going back to school and becoming a happy healthy successful student, which slowly drains his teacher mentally before he's replaced by the cloth puppet. 6/10.

In regard to flaws from these two adaptions.
Souichi's voice actor is an awful directed cast with his old creepy man voice,
and the animation of flames, and worse the beating of Oshikiri as he was getting abused with hooks on top of him were terrible in how poorly executed and stiff they were... but aside from that, these stories and adaptions themselves were good.
Although Oshikiri's death victims looked odd in art/animation from Studio Deen's comic art-style of Itou's work, but they remain faithful to the original art even if they're not slick in appearance from their color and animation.
Oct 23, 2022 5:29 AM
Oct 2019
first part ending was scary with another Oshikiri comes from behind. i like the concept.

my god Souichi is back lol
second part was so silly and entertaining.
it just hilarious.

can't believe i'm laughed this much from watching Junji Ito Horror.
Feb 16, 2023 8:50 PM

Feb 2021
Lol the MC is coming back with His stupidity XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Pages (2) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2018

238 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 22, 1:04 AM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.