Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 2, 2018 5:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That's some creepy shit this episode with that abomination. Sensei in her cloth-form is also creepy as hell.

Seriously though, every episode feels like it's getting creepier and this one was no exception. Evil lurks in this show and isn't afraid to show it. Souichi is also back! The strange guy never ceases to make awkward moments in this show.
Stark700Feb 2, 2018 8:06 AM
Feb 2, 2018 8:21 AM

Dec 2017
the first story is pretty creepy, the art nailed it. there’s so much question left unanswered, but it’s better to keep it that way i guess. the monster is weird as fuck, gigantic blob melting and shit, makes me wonder what kind of family lives in there...

i never thought Shouichi will back again, this one is pretty good though. it’s kinda unique, i love how they put squeaky sound, and the music setup is very comedic, Shouichi deserve that shit. how much Shouichi will they put in here?, i hope they adapted Secret of Haunted Mansion, because that’s the best of Shouichi.
Feb 2, 2018 8:36 AM

Sep 2011
Y'know, I wasn't sure how they were going to put a satisfying end on that first segment with Oshikiri... but another Oshikiri walking up behind them just as they were wondering if they could make it back, with the low shot of just their legs, that was enough for me.

Souichi I think worked better here, now that we've already seen some other, less comedic segments. It didn't really work as the first episode, but I'm happy to see him occasionally for a little change of pace.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Feb 2, 2018 8:55 AM

Apr 2011
Finally, Oshikiri's time. It was nice to see one of his stories... too bad it's just one. His volume is one of my favorites in the entire collection, I'd love to see more of it. alt!Oshikiri after taking the injection was probably the creepiest thing in this anime so far, I loved it.

As for Souichi... I have a problem with Souichi bc I like him as character but I can never really get into his stories, save few exceptions (I hope they get animated as well), but it was alright, I guess.
Feb 2, 2018 8:55 AM

Jun 2012
I always laugh at Souichi's story :D The first part wasn't that creepy when compared to the previous episode either.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Feb 2, 2018 9:00 AM

May 2015
eeehhhh they gonna add Oshikiri on top of Souichi and CrossRoad Pretty Boy?
I mean I'm pretty sure the volume-title series will be adapted (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=29744)
----I hope none of the will left behind-----
but I dont know how to feel with adding Oshikiris, heck if we even gonna get all of his stuffs? we only got 12 episodes ffs and most of the standalone are goods damn I really boggled atm
Like, I like Oshikiris stories as much as others and some of them is my favorite but I kinda worried of some potential good stories got left behind in favor of our 3 continuing boys, idk man

Also, glad to have this episodes of Souichi though

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Feb 2, 2018 9:01 AM

Jul 2016
So the first one was scary as fuck and the second was a comedy where Souichi is back :o I like
Feb 2, 2018 9:35 AM

Dec 2014
ok the first episode was creepy and the way it ended was....blurrrr
Soiuchi again was not expected him...man that guy is creepy...what with cloth teachers any way
Feb 2, 2018 9:42 AM

Jun 2015
The first story was pretty creep, especially when Oshikiri took that injection. The second story was okay. It wasn't as creepy as the first one.
Feb 2, 2018 10:07 AM

Mar 2014
The first one was all right. The second was lame imo, I dislike Souichi so I hope we don't see him again. I hope the next ep is creepier tbh
Feb 2, 2018 10:07 AM

Jul 2009
Oh boy, finally "Further Tales of Oshikiri-kun" <3 But I noticed that the timing is mixed, I mean, the first chapter is "Hallucinations", but they started from the fifth. So I guess we should expect "Trespassers" next time.
Feb 2, 2018 11:05 AM

Oct 2015
Still not getting any major creeped feelings, the first half was alright with the body horror but it still felt like a lot of nothing. Maybe I'm just tougher than I thought. Also the animation felt particularly clunky, especially when Aoyama was punching Oshikiri.

Souichi is a weird one I have mixed feelings with, I don't find him funny just mildly entertaining and I always end up feeling somewhat bad for him. Also I have no idea how any of the students are supposed to represent elementary school kids with those voices.

I'm just mildly disappointed with it so far, will most likely end up giving this a 5/6 unless the second half really pulls some good stuff.
Feb 2, 2018 11:06 AM

Jul 2015
did anyone else noticed the unsynced lip sync?? i also felt like the animation was quite poor...
Feb 2, 2018 11:06 AM

Mar 2015
Cursing an elementary school kid with beard growth, now that's one quality curse
Feb 2, 2018 11:11 AM

Jun 2015
I wasnt fan of Souichi return, but the first story was quite good
Feb 2, 2018 11:28 AM

Apr 2016
Wanted to see more of the first story, it was interesting but the second story was lame and ruined the whole episode.
Feb 2, 2018 11:40 AM
Apr 2009
MistLiigh said:
Y'know, I wasn't sure how they were going to put a satisfying end on that first segment with Oshikiri... but another Oshikiri walking up behind them just as they were wondering if they could make it back, with the low shot of just their legs, that was enough for me.

Souichi I think worked better here, now that we've already seen some other, less comedic segments. It didn't really work as the first episode, but I'm happy to see him occasionally for a little change of pace.
This is more of the type of thing you can mostly expect from Souichi's stories, the very first one was definitely one of the more tamer ones. All of his stories are more "comedic," but they all also have a lot of creepy elements to them.

They'll probably reveal it later, but one of the stories already shown is actually connected to Souichi's universe.
Feb 2, 2018 12:44 PM

Dec 2017
The first part was more interesting, but the second part was funnier. I'm not even watching this as a horror anime. I'm watching this as a weird+lol anime and I love it. I don't think Souichi will appear on other episodes.
Feb 2, 2018 12:57 PM

Oct 2012
I thought the first part with the alternate worlds was conceptually interesting but overall a bit weak -- I wanted it to be more creepy or have a better finale.

The first episode with Souichi was the weakest (then the 2,3, and 4th got increasingly better). Now that he's back I'm still not a fan.
Feb 2, 2018 1:00 PM
Jul 2014
Danae said:
The first one was all right. The second was lame imo, I dislike Souichi so I hope we don't see him again. I hope the next ep is creepier tbh
There's more stories of Souichi.
Feb 2, 2018 1:46 PM

Nov 2016
First half was scary,bizarre and exactly what I want from this show.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 2, 2018 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
Yay Souichi is back! His stories are always the funniest. I hope we see more of him. I feel bad that he got pantsed in front of his whole school, but like, he curses people. The bad stuff he does had to come back to bite him in the ass (via the nails) at least once.
Feb 2, 2018 1:59 PM

Sep 2015
I was already loving this series, but this episode had me at the edge of my seat... This really does scratch my horror itch that I didn't even know I had.

Studio Deen is getting better at this by the episode.

4.5/5
Feb 2, 2018 1:59 PM

Aug 2017
Seeing yourself walking around the house is beyond creepy for me.. i even had nightmares like that
Feb 2, 2018 2:12 PM

Mar 2014
Unleashed_SM said:
Danae said:

i hope they are not adapted lol
Feb 2, 2018 3:51 PM
May 2017
I've gotta be honest, this is probably my least favorite Souichi story.
I read the manga chapter, and once was enough.
Sure his comeuppance was needed, and of course no one was truly hurt, but his actions through segment in the episode were watered down farther than they were in the chapter.

I also think the animation this go-around was a little more stilted than normal.
They needed to add more shadow, or lines. Either or would REALLY enhance the scare factor, even just a bit.

'course, that's just my opinion.
Feb 2, 2018 3:53 PM
May 2017
iwatooshi said:
Now what in the world was Soichi's part of the episode. Doesn't that story have a "prequel" of sorts that explains WHY the teacher turned out like that (in fact I'm sure it does but I don't remember the order it was published, so I'm calling it a prequel)? It felt random af without it, and idk this means they probably won't adapt it. Then again I never liked the puppet teacher story since it's dragged out and not even creepy, but without the explanation it's just weird. Souichi isnt supposed to be likable but the anime's choices regards his stories make him so much more random and annoying, I kinda understand people who dislike him based on this.

I can totally confirm this.
The chapter this came from had a whole story behind it, and even went further to connect this to other of Souichi's stories.
It's one of those things where the context is needed to understand what the hell Souichi's doing.
Feb 2, 2018 3:58 PM

Dec 2016
Damn the ending to the first half with another Oshikiri stepping in behind the "real" one. Now that's a spooky ending. Also a new Souichi story, idk how I feel about these stories because I feel they don't really capture the best parts of Junji Ito's other works but whatever. Still a really solid episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Feb 2, 2018 4:08 PM

Sep 2013
Oshikiri should move out of there already.
Based Souichi again, cloth dolls work well but a bit too obsessive.
Feb 2, 2018 4:20 PM

Feb 2017
Ma boi Souichi came back with nails
Feb 2, 2018 4:54 PM
Dec 2017
The first story felt lackluster to me, then when the end came around I loved it the monster scared me more than it should’ve. The beginning was very confusing, but most of the stories happen without reason so I still rolled with it. The ending was really creepy, especially when the transformation happened. The twist before the screen cuts to black especially is my favorite, I wonder if there’s a sequel. Probably not. God I hope so.

And oh my gosh, when I saw my boy Souichi pop up on the screen, I was fucking pumped. This story especially always got me, the puppets are the creepiest thing ever. A shame we didn’t get to see the real teacher, the story prior to this one was good. I am praying they do a adult Souichi story or Rumors. Those 3 stories are particularly frightening. I need more petty Souichi in my life.
PipimimikiFeb 2, 2018 5:08 PM
Feb 2, 2018 5:01 PM
Dec 2017
UkRs said:
did anyone else noticed the unsynced lip sync?? i also felt like the animation was quite poor...
Yeah I noticed it. The animation is terrible tbh. This show is the opposite of Violet Evergarden, horrible animation but good stories. In my opinion.
Feb 2, 2018 5:27 PM

Mar 2008
The first half was based on Fight Club, trust me.
Feb 2, 2018 5:41 PM

Sep 2016
Danae said:
Unleashed_SM said:

i hope they are not adapted lol
IIRC Souchi's character is popular in Japan so it wouldn't suprise me if we see more him.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Feb 2, 2018 6:23 PM

Jul 2013
Parallel worlds that's neat! the puppets were funny.
Feb 2, 2018 8:24 PM
Dec 2014
I didn't really laugh that much on the first Souichi story but this one I did. That squeaking was just plain hilarious.
Feb 2, 2018 9:28 PM

Oct 2015
Lol at the second half. I found it quite amusing and the first story, shit. the cliffhanger at the end
Feb 2, 2018 10:00 PM

Apr 2016
Souichi best girl
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 3, 2018 12:02 AM

May 2015
Welp, it happened. I'm a Souichi fan now. Must be one of his curses.
Feb 3, 2018 12:06 AM

Aug 2014
I enjoyed Souichi's ass.
Sieg Zeon!
Feb 3, 2018 2:27 AM

Jun 2014
I still think the animation doesn't do justice to Ito's work.
the art of this anime is kinda bad at times.
And the pacing of this episode is just off, kinda rush.
I think episode 4 is still the best one so far.
Feb 3, 2018 2:52 AM

Sep 2016
Souichi is really starting to grow on me, i just find him funny.
Feb 3, 2018 7:30 AM

Mar 2014
The animation was pretty bad (that punching scene) but I do like more Souichi. The latest eps haven't been as creepy as I'd hoped.
Feb 3, 2018 7:51 AM
Jan 2018
I've noticed there's been a lot of uncertainty about this show; I'm inclined to like it, and I do like it, but something is definitely lacking. It's lost the uncanny edge of Ito's work, and I do think the medium - or probably the execution - are to blame. I kind of feel as if every panel has been lifted from the manga without much thought of how to fill in the gaps. Movement, sound and colour should ideally have ramped up the creepy factor, but everything just feels so normal, even when spliced with gory scenes.

Although Ito's work generally has impact without any explanation (good horror doesn't necessarily need it imo), the stories I'm not familiar with here do feel unfinished also. I'd probably have dropped this if I was a newcomer. But I'm not and I'm enjoying the show to a certain extent. I just think this show could have been truly terrifying if the studio had taken more liberties and been more creative. Instead they've adapted it so concisely that it comes off as silly rather than unnatural/creepy/uncanny. A Doll's Hellish Burial and Slug Girl are the worst examples so far. Ah well, I hope to see more Souichi and I'm excited for Tomie's stories to start surfacing.
Feb 3, 2018 10:38 AM

Jul 2015
So what happened to Oshkiri after this in the manga can anyone tell me?

Feb 3, 2018 2:34 PM

Dec 2010
I was pretty reluctant about the first episode. Parallel worlds is such an onverused topic. But boy, it escalated quickly. The best ending so far. It creeped me out, was not expecting it to end abruptly like this.

Souichi segment was okay, but still not a fan. His stories are somewhat predictable and they destroy the flow of this anime for me. Not that i hate them or do not like them, but i think that the time could be used for much better stories.
Feb 3, 2018 3:12 PM
Dec 2017
The first one was interesting with the whole parallel universe thing within the house. I didn't expect Souichi to come back... But, the good thing is that I didn't cringe at all this time. I thought it was pretty funny.
Feb 3, 2018 4:13 PM

Jan 2014
Ah, I was wondering why the kid with nails was the main character. But he appears more than once. Makes sense I guess.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Feb 3, 2018 4:24 PM

Jun 2010
Honestly wasn't a fan of this episode. Something about the way Further Tales of Oshikiri was adapted just felt off to me (although I still enjoyed the climax of the story) and we got a second Souichi story from Mannequin Teachers without the context needed from Souichi's Home Tutor. When we haven't even got one story from Tomie's anthology yet. Setting aside my own hatred for Souichi and his stories, the pacing felt way off in this segment too. The one solace that I can take from this is that this means that not all of Souichi's stories will be adapted; thank god for that!

Easily the worst episode the series has had yet, hopefully next week's episode will be better. 3/5
Feb 3, 2018 6:06 PM

Dec 2010
WandererRedux said:
Honestly wasn't a fan of this episode. Something about the way Further Tales of Oshikiri was adapted just felt off to me (although I still enjoyed the climax of the story) and we got a second Souichi story from Mannequin Teachers without the context needed from Souichi's Home Tutor. When we haven't even got one story from Tomie's anthology yet. Setting aside my own hatred for Souichi and his stories, the pacing felt way off in this segment too. The one solace that I can take from this is that this means that not all of Souichi's stories will be adapted; thank god for that!

Easily the worst episode the series has had yet, hopefully next week's episode will be better. 3/5

Someone said there would be 2 extra episodes only for Tomie.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2018

238 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 22, 1:04 AM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.