Forum Settings
Forums

What are the weird paintings called and how do you understand it ?

New
Feb 2, 2018 1:34 AM
Jul 2017
I'm talking about the paintings like Guernica and so.When I look at em they look like some meaning less art . There is also the type of art that looks like someone just threw some colours in the canvas randomly.They must have meaning behind it .
So I wanna know what are they called and how do you read those.
The signature was removed as it was too awesome for mortals to live through.It has already destroyed 35 super computers . We have to make sure it is not used for serial killings and mass-murders.Please don't use words that can kill the mortals by it's awesomeness.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 2, 2018 4:05 AM

Mar 2008
Here is the names of different major art movements and examples. Go through it.
http://theartstory.org/section_movements.htm

The painting was about the bombing of Guernica during the Spanish civil war. The painting is usually grouped with Cubism. Picasso's home land was Spain and he was a communist so this event felt close to him.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernica_(Picasso)

"My whole life as an artist has been nothing more than a continuous struggle against reaction and the death of art. In the picture I am painting — which I shall call Guernica — I am expressing my horror of the military caste which is now plundering Spain into an ocean of misery and death."
-Pablo Picasso

The title often tells you what it is or what it means or the artist just says. Some art movements are devoid of meaning though so it helps to identify them.
traedFeb 2, 2018 4:17 AM
Feb 2, 2018 4:08 AM
Jan 2013
bomb boye kill people aaah how horrible
gone bai bai
Feb 2, 2018 9:06 AM

Aug 2015
Art is ultimately left up to people's own interpretation. But I think sometimes if you don't know the backstory of a painting and what was happening in the time it was created, it can be hard to see what's going on.

I had to study Guernica for art classes and it's basically just a war painting in a unique style. You know, all those 'this is what happens during war it's super bad don't do it ok' paintings.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Feb 2, 2018 3:54 PM

Jan 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eybiOECYPmU&feature=youtu.be&t=30

"Ihr denkt beide: das ist ein richtiger Blödsinn." "You both think: that's totally BS"

And that's the Sense Modern Art has: Nonsense.
Feb 2, 2018 3:57 PM

Sep 2009
It's "abstract" art. You either understand them by asking the artist, or interpret them by having extensive knowledge of art.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Feb 2, 2018 4:12 PM

Jan 2009
MortalMelancholy said:
It's "abstract" art. You either understand them by asking the artist, or interpret them by having extensive knowledge of art.
From how I've understood it, it's you either ask the Artist what exactly he took to create such a Nonsense and have him tell you some BS or you try to come up with some BS yourself that could act as a possible Explanation for the Nonsense the Artist had created.
Feb 2, 2018 4:21 PM

Sep 2009
Noboru said:
MortalMelancholy said:
From how I've understood it, it's you either ask the Artist what exactly he took to create such a Nonsense and have him tell you some BS or you try to come up with some BS yourself that could act as a possible Explanation for the Nonsense the Artist had created.

Most are probably like that, as far as paintings go. I mean, you could say it's a form of expressionism taken too far.
Famous expressionist piece:
Feb 2, 2018 4:33 PM

Jan 2009
@MortalMelancholy: Haha, it makes me scream on the inside about how degenerate the Art is xD

The Evil started with Impressionism, turned into Expressionism and later turned into even more "avant-garde" Nonsense.

The Spanish got the Cubism, the (Swiss) Germans got Dada and Bauhaus. After that, the Frankfurt School managed to successfully brainwash the People into thinking that Modern Arts and Modern Architecture are valuable.
Feb 2, 2018 5:04 PM

Sep 2017
For the most part, abstract paintings use deliberate placing of lines, color, textures, shape, and use tools like movement, rhythm, asymmetry, and etc. to express their message. It is a matter of observation. Knowing the artist's background, ideas of the time period, how it was made, and for whom it was made for can also give you a clearer understanding of the message of piece, the artist, and the time period.
Feb 2, 2018 6:58 PM

Sep 2009
Noboru said:
@MortalMelancholy: Haha, it makes me scream on the inside about how degenerate the Art is xD

The Evil started with Impressionism, turned into Expressionism and later turned into even more "avant-garde" Nonsense.

The Spanish got the Cubism, the (Swiss) Germans got Dada and Bauhaus. After that, the Frankfurt School managed to successfully brainwash the People into thinking that Modern Arts and Modern Architecture are valuable.

Lel I actually think some of the modern architecture is pretty cool <.<
Like the Guggenheim; swirly cupkekes for natural lighting.
Feb 2, 2018 7:15 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eybiOECYPmU&feature=youtu.be&t=30

"Ihr denkt beide: das ist ein richtiger Blödsinn." "You both think: that's totally BS"

And that's the Sense Modern Art has: Nonsense.

Calling van Gogh and Picasso nonsense is certainly befitting of your arrogance.
Feb 3, 2018 3:21 AM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Just because they've created well-known BS it doesn't mean that they aren't Nonsense. Every Modern Form of Art is about Bullshitting the Viewer into thinking that there is something very profound in it and have him read too much into mere Smearings.

@MortalMelancholy: That's a very ugly Building. The Color is also very unfitting, because you can easily see dirt on it like with this Building. The Quality of the Materials are often very poor with modern Buildings like these.
Feb 3, 2018 3:41 AM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:
Just because they've created well-known BS it doesn't mean that they aren't Nonsense. Every Modern Form of Art is about Bullshitting the Viewer into thinking that there is something very profound in it and have him read too much into mere Smearings.

It's much better to just admit you're uneducated.
Feb 3, 2018 5:58 AM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
I am aware of the Impressionists and Expressionists Evil, the "avant-garde", the Frankfurt School and cultural Marxism à la Gramsci, which are destroying traditional, European Culture.

At least, tiny little Austria seems to do something against it by cutting Funds and setting Quality Standards: https://news.artnet.com/art-world/austria-right-wing-government-funding-cuts-1202801

The contemporary "Artist" of the Bus "Monument" has envisioned a Map on his Homepage, in which Europe had been conquered.

See also: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1700924

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1700317&show=50#msg53754439

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1700317&show=100#msg53767203
Feb 3, 2018 6:04 AM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:
I am aware of the Impressionists and Expressionists Evil, the "avant-garde", the Frankfurt School and cultural Marxism à la Gramsci, which are destroying traditional, European Culture.

Not only are you claiming that van Gogh and Schoenberg are destroying European cultures, you also somehow managed to shoehorn cultural marxism into it. Seriously it's a lot easier and admirable to just admit you're uneducated.
Feb 3, 2018 6:30 AM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Noboru said:

Not only are you claiming that van Gogh and Schoenberg are destroying European cultures, you also somehow managed to shoehorn cultural marxism into it. Seriously it's a lot easier and admirable to just admit you're uneducated.
But they are destroying European Culture which has its Roots from the Greeks' Sense of Beauty and Æsthethics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_aesthetics_before_the_20th_century#Ancient_Greek_aesthetics

https://www.salon.com/2015/01/03/the_secret_history_of_beauty_how_the_greeks_invented_western_civilizations_biggest_idea/

I suggest reading into Ancient Greek Æsthethics and what Influence it had on traditional, European Culture.
NoboruFeb 3, 2018 7:12 AM
Feb 3, 2018 7:33 AM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:

But they are destroying European Culture which has its Roots from the Greeks' Sense of Beauty and Æsthethics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_aesthetics_before_the_20th_century#Ancient_Greek_aesthetics

https://www.salon.com/2015/01/03/the_secret_history_of_beauty_how_the_greeks_invented_western_civilizations_biggest_idea/

I suggest reading into Ancient Greek Æsthethics and what Influence it had on traditional, European Culture.

No, not really. European culture's fine and you need a (better) hobby.
Feb 3, 2018 11:06 AM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Noboru said:

Europe's Culture is turning further and further away from Europe.
Feb 3, 2018 11:10 AM

Nov 2016
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:

Are you, by any chance, a follower of Nietzsche?
Feb 3, 2018 11:14 AM

Jan 2009
Thanakos said:
Noboru said:

No, I am not. If I may ask, why do you ask?
Feb 3, 2018 11:18 AM

Nov 2016
Noboru said:
Thanakos said:

No, I am not. If I may ask, why do you ask?

Because he's the last person I remember advocating for a 'Europe' of his desires, and not just in a political way. His critiques of modern European art suggest atavism (what I would call it) to earlier states yet ironically he's responsible for most of postmodernism and associated abstract art movements (I'm not too educated on them). Either way, I was just curious if you don't share your critique with Nietzsche because that'd be bad.
Feb 3, 2018 11:27 AM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:

It's more like you are turning further and further away from sanity.
Feb 3, 2018 11:37 AM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Noboru said:

It's more like you are turning further and further away from sanity.
I have no Idea how you you've come to that Conclusion. Please enlighten me and also tell me about how Modern Art isn't degenerating or at least what Meaning it has.

@Thanakos: If you mean that we have to get back to the Roots with Arts and Architecture like with the Periods of Classic and the Renaissance + Enlightenment, then I agree with this Position.
Feb 3, 2018 12:45 PM

Apr 2015
With Picasso you need to study his other works and background to understand his art and symbolism. Same applies to many other artist too, but also if the artwork is for someone you need to know about them too. Like I don't know what's the English translation is but there are artists who paint their client's soul/spirit in canvas, it goes in to spiritual thing as they also interpret what they painted and what they felt during the progress, those paintings have only meaning and value to the client.

@Noboru you know all of your comments sound pretty hypocritical with that anime girl avatar
Feb 3, 2018 1:36 PM

Jan 2009
urpoutta said:
With Picasso you need to study his other works and background to understand his art and symbolism.
Art shouldn't be something where you have to study the Background and other Works of an Artist to recognize sth. as a Piece of Art, but rather because you recognize it as something that can't be easily replicated, because it requires a lot of Skill. Have you ever heard anyone state that they could even reproduce one little Painting of what Michelangelo had created in the Sistine Chapel?
Compared to that, about how many people have you heard say stuff about Modern Artwork that it's something even a Child in Kindergarten can do?

you know all of your comments sound pretty hypocritical with that anime girl avatar
2D Anime Characters have a different Form of Æsthethics. Unlike Modern Art, they are widely seen as visually pleasing and thus have at least some Quality Standards with Regards to their Character Art.
Picasso and van Gogh only have their Name for them, because they had been hyped since some People had paid Millions for a Scribbling or respectively: Smearing any of them had created.
Feb 3, 2018 1:40 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
urpoutta said:
With Picasso you need to study his other works and background to understand his art and symbolism.
Art shouldn't be something where you have to study the Background and other Works of an Artist to recognize sth. as a Piece of Art, but rather because you recognize it as something that can't be easily replicated, because it requires a lot of Skill. Have you ever heard anyone state that they could even reproduce one little Painting of what Michelangelo had created in the Sistine Chapel?
Compared to that, about how many people have you heard say stuff about Modern Artwork that it's something even a Child in Kindergarten can do?

Picasso's works don't require skill...jesus fucking christ.
Feb 3, 2018 1:46 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
They do require Skill, they just look like they don't. And that's the major Difference between Modern and Classical Art. Pretty much noone will seriously think that Albrecht Dürer's Hare would be something that looks like it doesn't require any Skill.
Feb 3, 2018 1:56 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:
They do require Skill, they just look like they don't. And that's the major Difference between Modern and Classical Art. Pretty much noone will seriously think that Albrecht Dürer's Hare would be something that looks like it doesn't require any Skill.

Except they do. It's called a knowledge gap. You're unable to appreciate, understand, and love various forms of higher art because you lack the necessary tools to do so. It's like trying to understand general relativity when you can't even do algebra!
Feb 3, 2018 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Except they do. It's called a knowledge gap. You're unable to appreciate, understand, and love various forms of higher art because you lack the necessary tools to do so. It's like trying to understand general relativity when you can't even do algebra!
How about you give an elaborate Explanation about what's so special about Works like those instead of criticizing my alleged Lack of Knowledge in that Matter? It shouldn't be a Problem for you, since you recognize those as Art and thus must have the necessary Tools to appreciate, understand and love various Forms of higher Art. Or is it that you can't, because you are aware that Modern Art is just some hyped BS that had been being supported for whatever Purposes?
Feb 3, 2018 2:21 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:
How about you give an elaborate Explanation about what's so special about Works like those instead of criticizing my alleged Lack of Knowledge in that Matter? It shouldn't be a Problem for you, since you recognize those as Art and thus must have the necessary Tools to appreciate, understand and love various Forms of higher Art. Or is it that you can't, because you are aware that Modern Art is just some hyped BS that had been being supported for whatever Purposes?

I wouldn't even bother explaining to you why Beethoven's 31st piano sonata is a lauded work of art because things hexachords or fugal subjects based on parallel fourths are meaningless to you. If you lack technical knowledge in art (whether music or visual arts) you're incapable of discussing art beyond the putrid "I like this, this looks good" surface level type shit. Hence the comparison to physics: if you don't know mathematics you won't be able to understand's Einstein's genius. You can't even explain to me why the Sistine Chapel is great on a technical level, so why bother with something as difficult as Picasso?
Feb 3, 2018 2:32 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
I wouldn't even bother explaining to you why Beethoven's 31st piano sonata is a lauded work of art because things hexachords or fugal subjects based on parallel fourths are meaningless to you. If you lack technical knowledge in art (whether music or visual arts) you're incapable of discussing art beyond the putrid "I like this, this looks good" surface level type shit. Hence the comparison to physics: if you don't know mathematics you won't be able to understand's Einstein's genius. You can't even explain to me why the Sistine Chapel is great on a technical level, so why bother with something as difficult as Picasso?
Beethoven's Music already sounds pleasing to the Ears. Being able to do that, is already a Skill.
Don't try to shift Goalposts here; I'm still waiting on whether or not you can give an elaborate Explanation about what's so great about Modern Artwork like Guernica by Picasso.
NoboruFeb 3, 2018 2:36 PM
Feb 3, 2018 2:57 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:
Beethoven's Music already sounds pleasing to the Ears. Being able to do that, is already a Skill.
Don't try to shift Goalposts here, I'm still waiting on whether or not you can give an elaborate Explanation about what's so great about Modern Artwork like Guernica by Picasso.

You're extremely daft aren't you? Just like you can't understand Beethoven's music, you can't understand Picasso's works because you lack technical knowledge. What you're telling me you'd understand the big deal behind using monochromatic pallette and manipulations of planes, lines or perceptible transitions between shapes to create illusions of newsprint? Like come on, you're banging on about "modern art" being meaningless and you decide to pick one of the most famous anti-war surrealist pieces in history to spearhead the discussion. Not to mention you conflate modern art with periods such as contemporary conceptual art, these are errors that demonstrate severe lack of even surface level knowledge. There's no point in discussing anything about it, just like you can't discuss anything about Beethoven's awesome fugue. : ^)
Feb 3, 2018 3:04 PM

Apr 2015
@Noboru sounds like you have never actually painted or tried to learn different painting techniques. Something may look simplistic but so called amateur trying to copy it can be pain in the ass, and the amount of copies of something like Mona Lisa is huge, people who want to copy artworks practice many years and continue so, usually studying one artist's techniques to master them, and some artwork copies are actually really wanted among collectors. And nothing says those artist that decide to do avant-garde don't know fundamentals in art, "to break rules you need to understand them first" is a golden rule many hear through out their life. But if you are so set on that today's art is easily copied and lacks on skill please do paint these and take pictures to share with us

Art is diverse and varies through time and groups, I have no interest trying to simplify it. Art has different meanings to people and I only encourage people to get into artistic hobbies as they're good way to keep your mind sharp.

Character designing, cartoonist and animators still need to study same basic fundamentals as any other visual artist. And animanga is part of Japanese art and has influenced Japanese artists and Western artists. It is same way "destroying" European art, also Japanese traditional art, like modern art, if we go by your logic. And what one sees as visually pleasing isn't universal.
Feb 3, 2018 3:04 PM

Jan 2009
@NudeBear: So it means, you're incapable of properly explaining the Depth of the Artwork.

@urpoutta: I get that some Artwork can be still interesting looking, like the Library or whatever it is in your first Picture that as a Whole regarded, looks like a Bear, but there is always the Question what Purpose something like this has. With Classic Arts, you can at least easily recognize the Skills for generally, visually pleasing Works.
NoboruFeb 3, 2018 3:12 PM
Feb 3, 2018 3:05 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
@NudeBear: So it means, you're incapable of properly explaining the Depth of the Artwork.

No, it means you're incapable of understanding any explanation. Are you illiterate? My words were pretty clear.

urpoutta said:
@Noboru sounds like you have never actually painted or tried to learn different painting techniques. Something may look simplistic but so called amateur trying to copy it can be pain in the ass, and the amount of copies of something like Mona Lisa is huge, people who want to copy artworks practice many years and continue so, usually studying one artist's techniques to master them, and some artwork copies are actually really wanted among collectors. And nothing says those artist that decide to do avant-garde don't know fundamentals in art, "to break rules you need to understand them first" is a golden rule many hear through out their life. But if you are so set on that today's art is easily copied and lacks on skill please do paint these and take pictures to share with us

Art is diverse and varies through time and groups, I have no interest trying to simplify it. Art has different meanings to people and I only encourage people to get into artistic hobbies as they're good way to keep your mind sharp.

Character designing, cartoonist and animators still need to study same basic fundamentals as any other visual artist. And animanga is part of Japanese art and has influenced Japanese artists and Western artists. It is same way "destroying" European art, also Japanese traditional art, like modern art, if we go by your logic. And what one sees as visually pleasing isn't universal.

Pretty high effort post bro...especially for someone that doesn't know the difference between modern and contemporary art, and thinks it's evil, and cultural marxist...
NudeBearFeb 3, 2018 3:10 PM
Feb 3, 2018 3:15 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Noboru said:
So it means, you're incapable of properly explaining the Depth of the Artwork.

No, it means you're incapable of understanding any explanation. Are you illiterate? My words were pretty clear.
You haven't even tried to explain it. You know, I'm not the only one in this Thread. Even if it could be too high for me, there could be other Users, who could understand what you write.
Feb 3, 2018 3:18 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:

You haven't even tried to explain it. You know, I'm not the only one in this Thread. Even if it could be too high for me, there could be other Users, who could understand what you write.

It's okay I'm not trying to be helpful only condescending. As long as you realize you're talentless and ignorant then all is right.
Feb 3, 2018 3:27 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Noboru said:

It's okay I'm not trying to be helpful only condescending. As long as you realize you're talentless and ignorant then all is right.
Good to know that you can't explain the Sense behind Modern Art, either. Well, there's nothing to explain if it's just some Nonsense, after all.
Feb 3, 2018 3:29 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:

Good to know that you can't explain the Sense behind Modern Art, either. Well, there's nothing to explain if it's just some Nonsense, after all.

I honestly didn't know you were illiterate. It's like a never ending list of faults with you.
Feb 3, 2018 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
NudeBear said:
Noboru said:

I honestly didn't know you were illiterate. It's like a never ending list of faults with you.
I give up, it seems like I had too high Expectations about having some elaborate Explanation about the Meaning of Modern Art.
Feb 3, 2018 3:36 PM

Apr 2013
Noboru said:
NudeBear said:

I give up, it seems like I had too high Expectations about having some elaborate Explanation about the Meaning of Modern Art.

You should get used to not being taken seriously, that's how fringe lunatics are usually treated like.
Feb 3, 2018 3:56 PM

Apr 2015
Noboru said:
@urpoutta: I get that some Artwork can be still interesting looking, like the Library or whatever it is in your first Picture that as a Whole regarded, looks like a Bear, but there is always the Question what Purpose something like this has. With Classic Arts, you can at least easily recognize the Skills for generally, visually pleasing Works.

Does art need to have meaning and purpose in the first place? Those people who often buy paintings mostly want some decoration in their home, now there are differences between being marketable artist, and again different folks want different things, and those who do art just for themselves but I think both are legitimate artists. As for the first painting the artist played around with surrealism and nature in his works, later he did art pieces that viewed Wolves in different perspectives and played around with stories like little let riding hood

Paintings name is "grandma", but someone who doesn't know the background of this topic the painting stays quite blank and what purpose it's trying to achieve

@NudeBear I just like to discuss about art, art is nice
konkeloFeb 3, 2018 4:01 PM
Feb 3, 2018 4:51 PM

Jan 2009
urpoutta said:
Does art need to have meaning and purpose in the first place? Those people who often buy paintings mostly want some decoration in their home, now there are differences between being marketable artist, and again different folks want different things, and those who do art just for themselves but I think both are legitimate artists.
That's a very interesting Question and I get that Paintings can be a Form of expressing how you feel and/or how you see the World, but the Word for "Art" is related to "Skill". In other Words, when you do "Art", you usually have to hone your Skills.

Did you mean "Little Red Riding Hood?" If yes, I can still not make any Sense of this Painting, other than being potentially ambiguous as well, with the Wolf looking like an old Woman if you look long enough.

Art may not have much of a practicable Purpose other than Decoration or to vent out your own Feelings or to show something like the Grandma being the Wolf at the same Time, but it certainly has an Influence about how we view Things and unfortunately, too many contemporary Artists just get their Work across without Consideration to whether or not their Works are fitting for the Place they're in. This is especially bad with Architecture, because Modern Architecture makes the Building lose their cultural Identity.
Feb 4, 2018 3:19 AM

Apr 2015
Noboru said:
urpoutta said:
Does art need to have meaning and purpose in the first place? Those people who often buy paintings mostly want some decoration in their home, now there are differences between being marketable artist, and again different folks want different things, and those who do art just for themselves but I think both are legitimate artists.
That's a very interesting Question and I get that Paintings can be a Form of expressing how you feel and/or how you see the World, but the Word for "Art" is related to "Skill". In other Words, when you do "Art", you usually have to hone your Skills.

But what skill do we see as better? Going back to OP and using Picasso's Guernica we can see his technical skills well, confident and steady hand, understanding of oil paint being able to get same shade on big areas and layering, composition with following golden ratio and grouping to make it easy for eye to follow. Those are all different skills and question remains should we prioritize skill of being able to render realistically, while they may lack on other parts, to lets say understanding of color theories and 3D shape. Imo I think this is more personal what one would view more important, influencing different styles. Idealistically of course every artist would drive for improving each and every skill they have, especially those they are lacking.

Did you mean "Little Red Riding Hood?" If yes, I can still not make any Sense of this Painting, other than being potentially ambiguous as well, with the Wolf looking like an old Woman if you look long enough.

Yes I meant Little red riding hood. That art piece is a statement, way to try for watcher to face their assumptions and make them rethink them to one issue we have had here for quite some time now, I can understand what the artist is going for with this being that I have my own personal experiences on it. Ten years and this work's meaning has (probably) changed and may just be a reminder what was going on in our society and "just" look good.

Art may not have much of a practicable Purpose other than Decoration or to vent out your own Feelings or to show something like the Grandma being the Wolf at the same Time, but it certainly has an Influence about how we view Things and unfortunately, too many contemporary Artists just get their Work across without Consideration to whether or not their Works are fitting for the Place they're in. This is especially bad with Architecture, because Modern Architecture makes the Building lose their cultural Identity.

Now I haven't invested much time in architecture and have only strong opinions in summer cottages, but I can agree environment is important to take in to account when designing something. Example I wouldn't really like a statue in old city that isn't done traditionally, while modern art statue in modern urban environment fits better. Of course there could be exceptions in cases where the artist tries to make some statement and wake different emotions, but those often won't stay there for long time to keep their "shock" value and interest up.
konkeloFeb 4, 2018 3:31 AM
Feb 4, 2018 3:52 AM
Jul 2018
How ironic to find people looking down on late 19th/early 20th century European art in an anime forum, considering the fact that the history of both are intimately intertwined!

The sense of design found within something like cubism often involves the extreme flattening and exaggeration of features--Sound familiar? Oh--And those mixed media sequences in Madoka you hold so dearly? Turns out, Picasso invented collage!
Feb 4, 2018 5:01 AM

Jan 2009
weevling said:
The sense of design found within something like cubism often involves the extreme flattening and exaggeration of features--Sound familiar? Oh--And those mixed media sequences in Madoka you hold so dearly? Turns out, Picasso invented collage!
The Exaggerations in Art Style have a Purpose when being done for a Cartoon (or an Anime). That's completely different from a Still Image without any Context at all.

@urpoutta: I would say, that being able to design as realistically as possible is regarded much more widely as an actual Skill. The Problem with Modern Art is, that without proper Context, the Artworks by themselves may not look appealing to most People. I get that you have to have lots of technical Drawing Skills to draw something like a Work by Picasso, but that doesn't mean that it will be useful, nor that it will look æsthethic.

Ten years and this work's meaning has (probably) changed and may just be a reminder what was going on in our society and "just" look good.
All that glitters, is not Gold, as they say. I may relate to the Statement of this Art Piece, but with many other contemporary or with Modern Artists, I would think that they just want to shove their (often cryptic) Statement without Consideration for their Environment. And the Buses Installation in German Cities is one of it.

I absolutely dislike when Art becomes just a Tool to leave a Shock Value or to make a Statement.
To me Art's first and foremost Trait is to depict Beauty and every Piece of Art has to be fitting with its Environment as a Whole.
Feb 4, 2018 5:12 AM

Jul 2015
Noboru said:

>Watches anime
>Calls anything that isn't a realistic marble statue or pompous shit like Wagner "degenerate"

Man, I'd like if you could keep your narrow-mindedness, double standards and obsessions to yourself and stop calling everything you disagree with/don't like "degenerate".
Feb 4, 2018 5:21 AM

Apr 2013
Clebardman said:
Noboru said:

>Watches anime
>Calls anything that isn't a realistic marble statue or pompous shit like Wagner "degenerate"

Man, I'd like if you could keep your narrow-mindedness, double standards and obsessions to yourself and stop calling everything you disagree with/don't like "degenerate".

Wait, which Wagner? Richard Wagner? It'd be weird to dislike "modern art" and like Wagner at the same time, considering Wagner's one of the fathers of modernism...
Feb 4, 2018 5:25 AM

Jul 2015
@NudeBear I mentionned double standards, right? Wagner sounds good if you put it on top of images of the Wehrmarcht, I'm pretty sure it doesn't qualify as "degenerate" for our weird Friend.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you?

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

21 by Zarutaku »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » representation or relatability ?

soniyay - Apr 14

29 by DigiCat »»
21 minutes ago

Poll: » People who leave MAL (finish the thought)

IpreferEcchi - 9 hours ago

4 by deg »»
44 minutes ago

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - 5 hours ago

5 by deg »»
54 minutes ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends?

pludel2 - Apr 10

36 by ninjaberserker »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.