Forum Settings
Forums

Netflix Announces Anime Partnership with Production I.G and Bones

New
Jan 31, 2018 11:30 AM

Jul 2009

Global streaming content provider Netflix is making a push to deepen its business relationships with anime production companies in Japan. On Wednesday, Netflix announced a continuing partnership with anime studios Production I.G and Bones in a press release. Netflix's partnership with Production I.G also involves the latter's subsidiary, Wit Studio.

Last summer, Netflix announced that it will be launching anime titles produced by two of the studios. B: The Beginning, produced by Production I.G, will debut on the platform on March 2, while A.I.C.O.: Incarnation by Bones will be available beginning March 9. No production has been announced for Netflix's partnership with Wit Studio.

Netflix's entrance into the anime market was first oriented toward securing distribution rights for existing popular works. In a later effort toward original content development, Netflix began acquiring exclusive distribution rights of anime titles such that these titles would not be broadcast on television. One most recent example is Devilman: Crybaby, which began streaming on the platform earlier this month.

According to journalist Takashi Sudo of the Animation Business Journal, since Netflix entered Japan in 2015, it has chosen to build direct relationships with anime studios rather than participating in the traditional production committee system. Netflix's partnerships are solely focused on the monopolization of distribution rights for the titles they are acquiring. Derivative businesses such as merchandising are left in the care of the studio.

In a letter to investors last week, Netflix reported that streaming revenue in 2017 grew to US$11.2 billion, a growth of 35.6 percent year-over-year. In addition, global paid memberships grew to over 110 million users, an increase of 24.2 percent year-over-year.

Source: Animation Business Journal, Anime! Anime! Biz, Netflix
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 6:03 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 31, 2018 11:34 AM
Mar 2014
Probably the best two 2D studios they could have chosen for the time being but Bones is a bit overworked right now... At least they didn't get MAPPA?
Jan 31, 2018 11:35 AM

Jan 2009
>since Netflix entered Japan in 2015, it has chosen to build direct relationships with anime studios rather than participating in the traditional production committee system.

so Netflix and the anime studio they partnered with are the only members of there production committee thats great more money for the anime studios
Jan 31, 2018 11:36 AM

Apr 2016
So this is how it will end.
Jan 31, 2018 11:39 AM

Jan 2013
Netflix + BONES sounds overpowered
Jan 31, 2018 11:39 AM

Aug 2016
Honestly, I can't tell for sure whether or not this is good for the industry. I'm sure it is in some ways and bad in others. Let's hope for the best in the future!
Jan 31, 2018 11:41 AM

Feb 2012
Netflix is unironically saving anime, even in this partnership deal they choose the GOAT studios of the industry.
Jan 31, 2018 11:52 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
While nothing is ever perfect, there are several good things about this. Production committees sometimes spread the safety factor too thin. Now there's only 2 partners that have to agree to things.

I can only dream of Netflix throwing cash at Production I.G to do adapt Vinland Saga.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 31, 2018 11:58 AM
Jun 2011
this can be good or bad idea we will need to see
Jan 31, 2018 11:59 AM

Mar 2012
Good, i hope they better adapt some Elitist pandering like Eden it's an Endless World, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Naoki Urosawa's works, Dorohedoro. Jiro Taniguchi's works and many more.
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Jan 31, 2018 12:24 PM

Aug 2015
Nice, looking forward to seeing what I.G. can pull off with more budget and hopefully more creative freedom.
Jan 31, 2018 12:30 PM

Oct 2010
I'll tell Netflix a tip free of charge: just adapt HakoMari, the westerners loved the LN
Jan 31, 2018 12:33 PM
Jul 2018
This might be a double edge sword if you ask me.

I don't know how to point this out exactly but I feel like it can either be a good idea or not.
Jan 31, 2018 12:38 PM
Review Moderator
Jan 2017
The actual model is similar so not big changes soon. Also, we can expect more originals than manga adaptations (licenses are a bit expensive). Only time will tell if they will change something.

Jan 31, 2018 12:49 PM

Jul 2010
HMS-Unicorn said:
Good, i hope they better adapt some Elitist pandering like Eden it's an Endless World, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Naoki Urosawa's works, Dorohedoro. Jiro Taniguchi's works and many more.

Going by from what we've seen so far it seems like they are going for the more mature route so wouldn't even surprise me.
Jan 31, 2018 1:07 PM
May 2016
I think they should partner with Studio 3hz so that they can make more projects like Flip Flapper.
Jan 31, 2018 1:18 PM

May 2015
Now all they need to do is fix their release schedule.

Jan 31, 2018 1:29 PM

Jun 2014
I don't mind Netflix getting involved in anime this way. Now all they have to do is fix the way they simulcast things.....or just not be involved in the simulcasting business in general.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 31, 2018 1:35 PM

Jan 2015
This is great actually

Netflix's anime are always of stunning quality (at least visually) and they aren't afraid to show violence and sex
Jan 31, 2018 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
Good news, we could use some good original anime. I love Bones and I think Production I.G and WIT are also great and right now they are the most solid animation studios from my perspective. Please no shitty Western ideologies though.

WIT are also a part of this, by the way. I'm actually really excited, we may end up seeing some of the best anime productions in a long time.
alpha_shadowJan 31, 2018 2:15 PM
:3
Jan 31, 2018 2:14 PM
Oct 2012
just reminding some people that Violet Evergarden is not an original Netflix series since it's aired on Japanese TV, just as inuyashiki is not an original series from amazon. Devilman crybaby is the first work original to Netflix.
Jan 31, 2018 2:18 PM

Feb 2013
GOTY 10/10 BETTER THAN DORITOS. Es bien.
Jan 31, 2018 2:19 PM

Feb 2008
Any new ways for Anime to gain exposure is welcome. Netflix knows a thing or two about content production so these studios having Netflix in their arsenal will add momentum to their works.
Jan 31, 2018 2:45 PM

Nov 2017
-Netflix is streaming and producing the live action Mob Psycho 100 adaptation
-Studio BONES has said they're working on a Mob Psycho 100 continuation
-Reigen OVA is just a recap of the first season
-Now Netflix has a partnership with BONES
Now, I'm not trying to get my hopes up, but...
Jan 31, 2018 2:51 PM

Apr 2014
they should continue working on securing classics. robotech has done good for them so far so I'm sure they know they have an older anime audience
Jan 31, 2018 2:56 PM

Sep 2016
Berserk adaptation from Bones, make that happen XD. IG is good too
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 31, 2018 2:58 PM

Sep 2016
Swagernator said:
So this is how it will end.
Im glad its over lol.
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 31, 2018 2:59 PM

Dec 2014
As long as I.G can and want to continue Seirei no Moribito I would be happy too. Not really a fan of Netflix's Devilman Crybaby, just hoping that Masaaki will return making rather subtle anime like Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong.
Jan 31, 2018 3:07 PM

Mar 2016
I thought Production I.G. already made a partnership contract after seeing a lot of anime being made by Production I.G. being produce by netflix

Farabeuf said:

I can only dream of Netflix throwing cash at Production I.G to do adapt Vinland Saga.

yep, they are the most trustworthy anime studio, their maria the virgin witch is enough for me to see their competency

Jan 31, 2018 3:09 PM
先輩

Apr 2016
glad netflix is making this push. at once upon a time i watched all the anime that was on netflix and found the lack of anime really lame, glad to see they know anime brings in the bucks
Jan 31, 2018 3:19 PM

Jul 2013
As I said in the other thread this is basically just a good thing.
Jan 31, 2018 3:24 PM

Aug 2016
RabbitTear34 said:
As long as I.G can and want to continue Seirei no Moribito I would be happy too. Not really a fan of Netflix's Devilman Crybaby, just hoping that Masaaki will return making rather subtle anime like Tatami Galaxy and Ping Pong.

i hope he try new things instead, thats when it rocks
what he did with devilman is just gold for the series but in general for all the industry stuck with the same (often censured) edgy stuff
Jan 31, 2018 3:28 PM

May 2013
oh nice, the time has come
this partnership it was inevitable

Jan 31, 2018 3:33 PM

Dec 2014
anemonespotte said:
RabbitTear34 said:

i hope he try new things instead, thats when it rocks
what he did with devilman is just gold for the series but in general for all the industry stuck with the same (often censured) edgy stuff

I'm hoping he wants to try new things too. Although something in me is hoping he would make another adaptation of a manga by Matsumoto (mangaka of Ping Pong) maybe Takemitsu Zamurai...
Jan 31, 2018 3:50 PM

Jan 2017
Great news! I hope they produce more original anime and good anime adaptations for senien manga like vinalnd saga, vagabond and berserk in the near future.
Jan 31, 2018 3:53 PM
Jan 2009
From my "NEWS: B: The Beginning Anime's New Trailer Previews Theme Song" post:
"Allow at least 2 anime titles to be weekly streams. Those 2 series get a weekly simuldub the same week that their respective 3rd subbed epi. debuts. The seasonal anime lineup is open to most territories simultaneously. That is, barring certain territories blocking Netflix, Territory B gets the epi. within 36 hours of Territory A getting it. When NF has started doing all these points for each season, I will have more respect for their decisions on streaming anime that are Netflix-first licenses."

While we are at it, perhaps NF can help pour some funds into Studipolis, Bang Zoom!, NYAV Post, and New Generation Pictures getting more resources for a higher output. When it comes to the dub output, suppose that each season at 12 get simuldubs. Have at least 6 be Funi-dubbed and the rest go to L.A. The stipulation is that the L.A. dubs meet the requirements of my above quote.

G S Palmer said, "I don't mind Netflix making actual anime originals like Devilman Crybaby (which was fantastic)". Kind of a technical thing here, that show was adapted from an old manga. A case of a Netflix co-produced isoriginal anime in the sense it is not an adaptation of a prior work is the upcoming B: The Beginning.
Jan 31, 2018 4:03 PM

Jun 2014
Netflix: "We're going to produce over 30 Netflix Original anime titles in 2018!"

In reality: "We're actually just buying exclusive streaming rights, and slapping our "Netflix Original" label on it as if we had any hand in creating it."
Jan 31, 2018 4:20 PM
Jan 2018
Yeees shingeki no kyojin season 3 un NETFLIXXX !!!
Jan 31, 2018 4:36 PM

Mar 2014
Do a Crybaby version of Devilman Lady, please...a little bit more loyal to the manga than the original anime, from the 90's.

Also, hire TRIGGER for a Devilman Grimoire adaptation (very TRIGGER-esque, this one), if possible...
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Jan 31, 2018 4:45 PM

Aug 2016
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:
Netflix: "We're going to produce over 30 Netflix Original anime titles in 2018!"

In reality: "We're actually just buying exclusive streaming rights, and slapping our "Netflix Original" label on it as if we had any hand in creating it."

they probably payed more for the exclusive, its not like a normal streaming right of crunchyroll
Jan 31, 2018 5:08 PM

Oct 2014
Gonna ask a stupid question here.

Does this mean that Netflix will partner with them to continue creating content or just for these 2 shows only?
Jan 31, 2018 5:11 PM

Oct 2014
m-i-c-h-a-e-l said:

Actually Producing means Making it possible for the creators to create.
Jan 31, 2018 5:17 PM

Mar 2015
breaking static outdated disasterous production comitee models is good by default... the streaming really breaking outdated super pricy TV models...the outcome of this or what they will publish will caterds towards audience is maybe something that still something that mixed bag...

HMS-Unicorn said:

@Tenth @Cyborg_Icarus29

despite popular belive, none of them is unpopular... it's just too risky (cencorship, remember terraformars?) and too expensive to adapt and too few have guts to funded it... streaming can surpass those limitation... golden kamuy is much more brutal, but since there is more company have will to funded it, well, it happened... i wonder how many cencorhip will cutting...
KumaJan 31, 2018 5:22 PM
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 31, 2018 5:27 PM

Dec 2007
Netflix is a perfect platform for Production I.G. and Bones style. I can't wait to watch more amazing new anime.
Jan 31, 2018 5:52 PM
Jul 2018
Weren't Production I.G and Bones the two studios in charge of FLCL 2 & 3? It's just a prediction, but I think that's what this will wind up referencing.
Jan 31, 2018 5:54 PM

Nov 2014
I was skeptical about Netlix's involvement in anime, especially after that Neo Yokio mess. But it didn't take long for them to redeem themselves with Devilman Crybaby and Kakegurui, two very strong, audacious titles. Now it appears that they might actually save anime from its timidity, and so-called merchandise ad shows.
Jan 31, 2018 6:25 PM
Jan 2017
Netflix is getting their inner weeb on!!
Jan 31, 2018 6:30 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
The creative freedom this gives the studios will be interesting to see play out. I don't know what stories they maybe could have adapted due to restrictions and what not but I expect to see things we would never get seasonally.

aikaflip said:
I was skeptical about Netlix's involvement in anime, especially after that Neo Yokio mess. But it didn't take long for them to redeem themselves with Devilman Crybaby and Kakegurui, two very strong, audacious titles. Now it appears that they might actually save anime from its timidity, and so-called merchandise ad shows.

The Neo Yokio thing was brought together by Ezra Koenig and Jaden Smith. They're the ones who got in contact with Prod IG / Studio Deen with the idea to make it. Where as this will all be in house and those studios calling the shots. I mean. We can't blame studios who get commissioned big money to make someones fantasy project in all honesty.

Also Kakegurui was just licensed by Netflix. I'm sure Amazon would've picked it up if they hadn't bought the rights to every other show that season.
Jan 31, 2018 6:35 PM

Aug 2008
Was hoping Netflix would get some more titles, hope this works well for all!
Jan 31, 2018 7:18 PM
Aug 2014
America is going to ruin anime. Later don't say I didn't tell you so...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 6 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
5 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.