Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jan 27, 2018 3:41 PM

I want to watch the Fate series, but I am completely overwhelmed by the possibilities of how I should go about doing so. I watched the first episode of Fate/Zero, and it kinda feels like it assumes I've watched some previous installment, even though Zero is technically the first chronologically. Please help!

More specifically, is it acceptable to watch UBW and then Zero, or the other way around?

Jan 27, 2018 3:43 PM

just watch fate/zero and the 2nd season of it then stop watching it from that point.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 27, 2018 4:12 PM

I watched it this way and had no problem: Fate/stay night, Fate/Zero, then UBW(the series) If more people respond, you're going to get a variety of different answers, with possibly some arguments between others. I think this is the best way to watch the series though.

Jan 27, 2018 4:23 PM

I watched it like this

Fate/zero ----> fate/stay night ----> fate/stay night UBW

I loved F/Z and liked f/sn UBW , but really disliked fate/stay night so just watch fate/zero and fate/stay night UBW

Then after all movies come out , watch heaven's feel
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

Jan 28, 2018 2:03 AM

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/seriesfaq-fate
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1286059

Read the visual novel, there is no good replacement for it.

If not, here's how you watch the anime:
If you can wait for all 3 HF movies to come out then: UBW (both seasons) -> HF movies (1,2,3) -> Fate/Zero (both seasons)

If you can wait for the second HF movie to come out then: UBW (both seasons) -> HF movies (1,2) -> Fate/Zero (both seasons) -> wait for HF movie 3

^That order allows you to avoid major spoilers for Heaven's Feel movies, without having to wait for the third movie to watch Fate/Zero.

If you can't wait for either, then order doesn't matter as much, pick one of these, both of them spoil some things for HF movies:

UBW (both seasons) -> Fate/Zero (both seasons) -> HF movies (1,2,3)

or

Fate/Zero (both seasons) -> UBW (both seasons) -> HF movies (1,2,3)

Important: If you're going to watch Fate/Zero before UBW, do not expect UBW to act as a sequel to Fate/Zero or have a similar writing style, they were written by different authors and have a different focus and tone to them, and on top of that UBW is only 1/3 of the parts that make up Fate/stay night.

Fate/Zero was meant to be watched after finishing all 3 routes of the Fate/stay night visual novel, but we currently lack a good anime for the Fate route(first route) and all 3 HF movies haven't come out yet, so the watch order is a mess.

Fate/Apocrypha can be watched separately, but you will not understand some things if you start with it. So watch it after UBW at least, and if possible after all 3 HF movies.

Feb 19, 2018 9:24 PM

well I watched it in order like this: Fate/zero (1st & 2nd season) - Fate/stay night (studio deen) - Fate/stay night ubw - (1st & 2nd season) & I had no problem......also the heavens feel movies will be coming out soon..

Feb 20, 2018 9:49 PM
Well, the Grail War in Zero precedes the one seen in UBW. For the most understanding, I honestly can't see anything but Fate Zero as the first series you should watch due to the chronological order (you'll understand ideas, concepts, etc... ) Each other adaptation follows this grail war, so you can watch how you want but i watched Unlimited Blade Works next. Now i know if I watched it in reverse order I would have thought, what the hell was I thinking?

Feb 20, 2018 10:28 PM

Itachi_Delta said:
well I watched it in order like this: Fate/zero (1st & 2nd season) - Fate/stay night (studio deen) - Fate/stay night ubw - (1st & 2nd season) & I had no problem......also the heavens feel movies will be coming out soon..

That's how I watched it also. (of course with all the extras like UBW movie in 2010 (awful btw), Grand Order, Apocrypha, Prisma Illya (shoot me), and now Last/Encore & Emiya's Cooking spinoff.

Feb 20, 2018 10:30 PM

natra27 said:
Well, the Grail War in Zero precedes the one seen in UBW. For the most understanding, I honestly can't see anything but Fate Zero as the first series you should watch due to the chronological order (you'll understand ideas, concepts, etc... ) Each other adaptation follows this grail war, so you can watch how you want but i watched Unlimited Blade Works next. Now i know if I watched it in reverse order I would have thought, what the hell was I thinking?

That's true. F/Z s1 basically gives you 12 episodes of setup / introducing the characters and premise. Can't ask for much more than that. Then s2 actually gets exciting action-wise.

Mar 9, 2018 9:32 AM
1 Deen fate stay night 2006
2 fate zero
3 fate sn ubw
4 maybe apocrypha it was kinda meh ya know