Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 28, 2018 8:05 AM

Dec 2014
That was actually pretty damn good.

Some really heavy brightness dimming in the beginning caught me off guard.

Think it might be my favorite Pilot fate episode considering most of the other ones are generally pretty slow and exposition heavy, this one had a good amount of flair to it along with the general exposition thing.

Here I thought Shinji was a good guy for once. xD

The Moon Cell thing is messed up, I might need to rewatch the exposition parts to get a full grasp on the whole scenario. Is it like an endless cycle of death and rebirth or something? Where the students are continuously trained until they awaken their powers as a master?

Nero's summoning at the end was really cool, the part where she destroys the Emiya clone thing was so damn cool and stylistic. Speaking of which I love the visual style and flair that Shaft have put in this.

I hope this continues to be good.
Jan 28, 2018 8:12 AM

Apr 2016
Better approach this slowly, considering the fact that Nasu is writing the script and they even said that this will be original work.

First episode was bit of a disappointment.
Jan 28, 2018 8:12 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, it was a bloody first episode!!!
Jan 28, 2018 8:21 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
As someone who didn't play the game, it was a solid first episode.
Even thought i'm not 100% sure what is happening, i'm definitly hooked.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 28, 2018 8:26 AM

Jul 2012
Well that was interesting, was thinking if this is the work for Shaft and wasn't impressed by PV, but now can say it was not that bad. Couldn't understand half (mb) of the stuff, i just hope it will be explained somehow and there's no need to play a game, skimmed through some comments and people talking about some summon and whatever stuff, spoilers perhaps?! Just hope that people will use spoiler tag and don't ruin the experience for the thread not turn into cancer (fast).
It felt like it was a mix of different works, Monogatari vibes and a bit of Madoka. And the end with the classic line.
Wasn't expecting Touma's VA to be the mc, don't hear him that often, interesting.
Jan 28, 2018 8:37 AM

Apr 2013
JudoJD said:
I think I already want ufotable to remake this...\
Studio Shaft is just.....
Only ufotable for Fate anime please :(....my soul would be at peace
I really want this to be good (I mean..freaking umu's in the damn thing)
(..and Nasu should really get back to work on Tsukihime and Mahoyoru now..it's about time...lol..who am I kidding)

Fate/Extra was perfect with shaft animation. I preffer Shaft for Extra and Extella, but Ufotable for all others. Shaft style goes very well with Extra atmosfere.
Jan 28, 2018 8:47 AM
Sep 2016
Onepieceuc1 said:
I just feel it doesn't deserve that, that's pitiful to give the show bad appearance before getting a real idea. More than that, I feel it's because people didn't get their ufotable animation or something around that level and that makes me "sad" if i can say to see that everything gets these kind of treatment today...

but but shaft animes are better than ufotables.
ufotable have more eye candy, but shafts storytelling is way better and the animations keep your attention span high.
Jan 28, 2018 8:55 AM

Apr 2015
Welp:

EmphaticPikachuJan 28, 2018 9:27 AM
Jan 28, 2018 9:01 AM

Apr 2016
Good first episode different timeline but i like the story so far
BRAWLERS
Jan 28, 2018 9:03 AM

Apr 2010
umu/umu

Best seibah is finally here.
Jan 28, 2018 9:24 AM
Sep 2016
_Earendil_ said:
Onepieceuc1 said:
I just feel it doesn't deserve that, that's pitiful to give the show bad appearance before getting a real idea. More than that, I feel it's because people didn't get their ufotable animation or something around that level and that makes me "sad" if i can say to see that everything gets these kind of treatment today...

ufotable have more eye candy, but shafts storytelling is way better and the animations keep your attention span high.

Kara no kyoukai, Zero and Heaven's feel (even UBW) would like to have a word with you though XD
_Earendil_ said:
Onepieceuc1 said:

Ufotable has more nuanced symbolism and detailing (mostly with type moon works) so depending on the viewer it could completely go without a notice (even some of the staff that worked on HF had to give that advice.. Shaft just mostly always... always smacks it in your face like "HEY! HEY! YOU THERE! THIS MIGHT MEAN SOMETHING!!!! "

(and OMG.. Altair!!!)
JudoJDJan 28, 2018 9:33 AM
1.1.Six
Jan 28, 2018 9:29 AM
Jul 2016
Does someone want to explain to me what in the world is going on in the first episode. The plot and setting did not seem to make sense at least to me.
Jan 28, 2018 9:30 AM

Mar 2015
Oh Shinji's actually pretty nice in this o- oh for fucks sake Shinji!

Tbh I kinda wished that this would have played during Sabers summon.

Also the MC sure is eDgY
Jan 28, 2018 9:36 AM

May 2015
JudoJD said:
_Earendil_ said:

Kara no kyoukai, Zero and Heaven's feel (even UBW) would like to have a word with you though XD
_Earendil_ said:

Ufotable has more nuanced symbolism and detailing (mostly with type moon works) so depending on the viewer it could completely go without a notice (even some of the staff that worked on HF had to give that advice.. Shaft just mostly always... always smacks it in your face like "HEY! HEY! YOU THERE! THIS MIGHT MEAN SOMETHING!!!! "

(and OMG.. Altair!!!)

Umm, have you seen Monogatari or Sangatsu? They definitely aren't THAT obvious with their symbolism.

Jan 28, 2018 9:41 AM
Sep 2016
Mirai said:
Oh Shinji's actually pretty nice in this o- oh for fucks sake Shinji!

Tbh I kinda wished that this would have played during Sabers summon.

Also the MC sure is eDgY

Ikr... It's definitely gonna be used for her noble phantasm though
1.1.Six
Jan 28, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2014
foreverblu said:
Does someone want to explain to me what in the world is going on in the first episode. The plot and setting did not seem to make sense at least to me.

It's the first episode, give it time.

Basically Hakuno and all these students have been captured by something called the Moon Cell because they had the potential to be masters, now they're in a digital world created by it, a certain number of masters are selected and the remaining students will be deleted, Hakuno managed to summon Saber at the end.
Jan 28, 2018 9:43 AM
Jul 2016
Shayon said:
foreverblu said:

Basically Hakuno and all these students have been captured by something called the Moon Cell because they had the potential to be masters, now they're in a digital world created by it, a certain number of masters are selected and the remaining students will be deleted, Hakuno managed to summon Saber at the end.

But was the appearance of Saber's sword just completely random or was that some sort of programmed response?
Jan 28, 2018 9:43 AM
Sep 2016
Kittens-kun said:
JudoJD said:

(and OMG.. Altair!!!)

Umm, have you seen Monogatari or Sangatsu? They definitely aren't THAT obvious with their symbolism.

They are to me (and I was thinking specifically of Monogatari when I typed that... That, Madoka and March are pretty much mostly what people are talking about when referring to Shaft really...)

Maybe season 2 of March.. Haven't gotten there yet
1.1.Six
Jan 28, 2018 9:48 AM

Oct 2014
foreverblu said:
Shayon said:

But was the appearance of Saber's sword just completely random or was that some sort of programmed response?

Idk, It's probably programmed? Hakuno just fell into a place where her sword happened to be.
Jan 28, 2018 9:59 AM
Sep 2016
foreverblu said:

What foreverblu said...and also they had a time limit to be chosen as masters and to qualify they had to have killed someone else (when someone kills another their names got highlighted and they took up a slot) . Those who failed as well as the NPCs were to be wiped out by the system (kinda like they were viruses)... The guy at the end (Kirei) probably had something to do with Hakuno's survival and selection (or he aludes to something like that) .....not sure if explaining what's going on fully is gonna count as a spoiler since it looks like they were heavy on hinting at it with the memory flashes and stuff...plus it was announced to be anime original for the most part so who knows really now
1.1.Six
Jan 28, 2018 10:00 AM

Mar 2010
well, 1st episode and nothing makes sense for me. also don't like the "Shaft" style. hope this is not only aimed at those that played the game because that's the feeling I'm getting
Jan 28, 2018 10:02 AM
Sep 2016
foreverblu said:
Shayon said:

At the start of the episode + what Hakuno says when going for the sword
1.1.Six
Jan 28, 2018 10:02 AM

Feb 2013
I guess it's ok for now, I don't like the entire virtual world thing though.
Jan 28, 2018 10:08 AM

Nov 2011
Looks like another bland protagonist. Oh well, let's see in the next episodes.
Jan 28, 2018 10:10 AM

Aug 2014
JudoJD said:

Ufotable isn't bad, but only KnK from those has better direction than Shafts best works in that field.
Jan 28, 2018 10:12 AM

Jun 2011
LF2005 said:
well, 1st episode and nothing makes sense for me. also don't like the "Shaft" style. hope this is not only aimed at those that played the game because that's the feeling I'm getting

According to this thread. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1702562

it was written for both newcomers and those familiar with the game
Jan 28, 2018 10:16 AM
Mar 2017
Well I don't know how to start it because I don't know wtf is going on in this anime.

Lets talk about animation. I hate this kind of animation it looks like a cartoon. Look at their eyes, hair and Saber's arms. WTF?! 6

I can't say anything about the story but the first impression was an 7

Soundtrack is the best in this anime-8

Characters- I don't know the plot and their actions are very predictable- 7

Hope this anime gets better but is nearly impossible that it will get an overall ratting better than 7.70
Jan 28, 2018 10:23 AM
Oct 2011
Classic Nasu. At the beginning, nothing make sense. I remember the feeling of playing Tsukihime or FSN or even Extra for the first time.
Jan 28, 2018 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
OG Fate/Extra: so uh... i don't know who i am
Fate/Extra LE: NOPE FUCK THIS PLACE FUCK THE MOON

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Jan 28, 2018 10:28 AM

Mar 2010
I have been looking forward to this soo much, even more so when I found out Nasu was going to make an original spin on it. And it was going to be animated by SHAFT? All of my yes!!

And the introduction didn't disappoint! I loved the art, it was bright colors and the usual monogatari feel was there.
I thought Shinji was going to be a good guy this time around from the trailer and I though he was about to redeem himself, but he fucked up again and now I want him to die already.
And best Saber has entered in all her glory and her buttwindow is as beautiful as ever. All I hope for is that he still makes a version of Extella/Zero that leads in to Extella and let Tamamo in to this anime as well. That way they will please both the Nero and the Tamamo fanbases (Tamamo is my waifu tho). But I am eagerly looking forward to the next episode!

Not enought headtilts/10

One issue with SHAFT is their unusual style of direction. We who love monogatari (most likely) like this way of direction but other who are not used to it may not and causes them to reject the anime. I love it but I have people I know who really dislike SHAFT for this reason. So it is great for SHAFT-fans but perhaps not for everyone else.
SayaVikingJan 28, 2018 10:33 AM
Jan 28, 2018 10:28 AM
Apr 2014
RedNinja779 said:
it looks like a cartoon. \

Umm... about that.
Jan 28, 2018 10:31 AM

Jul 2013
Was a good first episode. a bit confusing, since it's the first episode, but good still. The visuals are great, and the fights are amazing (especially the first fight of Saber against that enemy, who I'm not going to name due possible spoilers). The opening is pretty good, and I think is the first opening sung by a male artist in all the Fate series.

First I thought "wow, Shinji here is a nice guy", and then I was "fucking Shinji". I still don't know how he got a girlfriend. Yeah, Shinji was popular with girls in Fate/stay night, but, still, seeing Shinji with a girlfriend is... jarring.
And, talking about his girlfriend, considering she is a new character who doesn't appears in the game and she has a more remarkable designs than the other students, I wonder if she is going to be an important character later or is just a fodder (Shinji mentions she is fine, but, considering how he backstabbed Hakuno...).

Don't have much to say about Hakuno, other than I like his Touma voice. Let's see if he becomes an interesting character over the course of the series.
Kirei's appearence took me by surprise (like the one of the scientist in the middle of the episode when he talks to Hakuno), but was still nice to hear Nakata again in a Fate project.

About that petrified Archer smiling at the end.... I wonder if he did that because he wanted to help Hakuno or because his goal was to Hakuno to awaken Saber. Only time will tell...

But, anyway, I'm really excited for this.
Jan 28, 2018 10:33 AM
Oct 2017
art, color palette, ost; remembered very monogatari.

I liked
Jan 28, 2018 10:34 AM

Nov 2016
First episode was ok,aside from the visuals it failed to impress me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 28, 2018 10:46 AM

Feb 2015
Even if you have played the game,this will be a bit confusing.Didnt expect Spectacle guy and THAT servant so early but its ok.In the game they pretty much come out of the left field as the game progresses.

I really dig the music though.Only downside is Nero but ...oh well.Got to watch whether this turns out to be the 2nd coming of MAL gospel "Zero".:^)
Jan 28, 2018 10:48 AM

Mar 2010
Theorder14 said:
LF2005 said:

According to this thread. https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1702562

it was written for both newcomers and those familiar with the game

well, good them. thx for replying
Jan 28, 2018 11:03 AM

Apr 2015
Very nice to see many Fate/Stay Night characters in this first episode! Good to see Rin back, cant have enough of her! Art is definatly different so far, but I got used to it in the end. Looking forward to see where this will be heading.
Jan 28, 2018 11:03 AM

Feb 2014
Whats up with the production budget of a potato. Seriously this looked like absolute trash. I was pretty hyped with shaft having a go at Fate series but this first episode is super underwhelming. Really liked very little about it.
Jan 28, 2018 11:09 AM

Mar 2012
Even as a fan of the Fate franchise I felt disappointed about this.

Even by Fate standards, this episode was horribly obscure. This isn't to say the first episode has to make everything clear, but almost nothing was clear about this one. Where's the hook other than "I don't know anything that's going on so I guess I need to keep watching?" or "here's another Fate series with another Saber"? If I had no idea about Fate, I would've dropped this in a heartbeat, and Extra being a spinoff/side-chapter/parallel universe, it should be trying to draw new fans in, not just cater to old ones.

Part of what I like about Fate is its setting: a battle royale amongst servants and masters. I liked Stay Night, Protoype, Zero, Apocrypha, etc. because there are so many different combinations of servants and masters that could create new dynamics. I don't care what explanation they could throw out--we don't need Rin and/or Sakura everywhere. We also absolutely do not need Shinji to show up. Why does anyone think it makes sense to drag out old characters belonging to another entry to this new story?

Also, this animation style was obviously adapted for Wada Arco's style. I personally like the style adapted for Takeuchi, but this is more of a preference than a complaint. It makes perfect sense that they'd change it up for Extra.
Jan 28, 2018 11:09 AM

May 2010
The character designs are super ugly, I hope it will better than Apocrypha but that's a very low bar
Jan 28, 2018 11:14 AM

Jul 2017
That was some...experience, I guess.

It sure has the Shaft's peculiarities, at the same time, it feels a little different. I can already see people disliking certain aspects.

Let's just hope it doesn't crash and burn like the last one.

Nero cosplaying a light bulb.
Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Jan 28, 2018 11:21 AM

Mar 2010
Illyricus said:
Was a good first episode. a bit confusing, since it's the first episode, but good still. The visuals are great, and the fights are amazing (especially the first fight of Saber against that enemy, who I'm not going to name due possible spoilers). The opening is pretty good, and I think is the first opening sung by a male artist in all the Fate series.

First I thought "wow, Shinji here is a nice guy", and then I was "fucking Shinji". I still don't know how he got a girlfriend. Yeah, Shinji was popular with girls in Fate/stay night, but, still, seeing Shinji with a girlfriend is... jarring.

yeh we were presented to a new version of Shinji but he is still as shit as ever.

And, talking about his girlfriend, considering she is a new character who doesn't appears in the game and she has a more remarkable designs than the other students, I wonder if she is going to be an important character later or is just a fodder (Shinji mentions she is fine, but, considering how he backstabbed Hakuno...).

Don't have much to say about Hakuno, other than I like his Touma voice. Let's see if he becomes an interesting character over the course of the series.
Kirei's appearence took me by surprise (like the one of the scientist in the middle of the episode when he talks to Hakuno), but was still nice to hear Nakata again in a Fate project.

I actually think the one in the lab caught was Kiritsugu. well I recognized Kirei's voice telling the story & was expecting for him to show up.

About that petrified Archer smiling at the end.... I wonder if he did that because he wanted to help Hakuno or because his goal was to Hakuno to awaken Saber. Only time will tell...

archer's only purpose was always to kill his past self, who knows, maybe Hakuno was Emiya's real name

But, anyway, I'm really excited for this.

it was a long wait, was waiting for this since its announce
LF2005Jan 28, 2018 11:35 AM
Jan 28, 2018 11:29 AM
Jul 2014
All I wanna know is... is Shirou ever going to make an appearance in these other Fate series? I mean I feel it's possible since most characters from FSN are in this one. But it's probably just an alternative setting.
Jan 28, 2018 11:30 AM

Jul 2015
Shit ain't obvious but was entertaining. They really could have made Shinji's motive for stabbing a bit clearer, it came off as kinda random.
Jan 28, 2018 11:35 AM

Jul 2013
@LF2005 I wasn't refering to Archer, but the enemy Saber is fighting at the beginning of the episode.
Jan 28, 2018 11:41 AM

Mar 2010
Illyricus said:
@LF2005 I wasn't refering to Archer, but the enemy Saber is fighting at the beginning of the episode.

haaaa, that one.....
well that one seemed to me like Gilgamesh in full god mode
Jan 28, 2018 11:42 AM

Aug 2016
For everyone who mention that the art style is bad or like a cartoon i believe it is intentional, they are using the similiar art style of the each series illustrator maybe to honor their works.

For example is fate/stay night ubw, ufotable is using art style similiar with takeuchi takashi's (illustrator and chara designer for FSN) and for apocrypha they used konoe ototsugu's (apocrypha LN illustrator). And this time for last encore they used arco wada's style the illustrator for the extra series

Here's the example of each illustrators' arts
whiters99Jan 28, 2018 11:49 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2018 11:43 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Uhhh, I never really liked the source material, so I hope Nasu's writing liberties in this adaptation fixes up the messiness of the source material. Decent first episode, nothing too special. Female MC would've been more entertaining since it would be something different for this franchise from an anime standpoint. Art style is okay, but noticeably different from Arco Wada's art. Visually, its not as impressive as Shaft's other stuff, but we haven't gotten into the real action yet, so we'll see.

3/5
Jan 28, 2018 11:46 AM

Aug 2014
Unleashed_SM said:
All I wanna know is... is Shirou ever going to make an appearance in these other Fate series? I mean I feel it's possible since most characters from FSN are in this one. But it's probably just an alternative setting.

No, he won't. Nasu already said he feels he completed Shirous story. Some not-minor not-major character spoilers;

BlueBalls said:
Shit ain't obvious but was entertaining. They really could have made Shinji's motive for stabbing a bit clearer, it came off as kinda random.

Well, Kirei voice was telling him to do it or get purged.
Jan 28, 2018 11:47 AM

Apr 2010
JudoJD said:
Tekakurika said:
K really... can someone tell me why the screen goes dark when there is fight scenes with lot of light?
There was a time was back when the first Pokemon series was airing (a Porygon episode that got banned)...The flashes of light caused over 600 kids to go through epileptic seizures so it's something they're still cautious of... In a lot of cases just for safety there's this warning that shows up at the start of anime episodes being broadcast that you should sit at a distance from the screen and at a distance

So probably just to be cautious because of the bright colour effects
But in DVD version they fix that?
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2018

210 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 9:25 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.