Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 27, 2018 11:24 PM

Oct 2010
I really enjoyed the Puppet collection for this episode. That puppet really fucked me up.
Jan 28, 2018 1:53 AM

Feb 2014
Was I the only one who was creeped out by the MC's girl in the second part coz of her stalking rather than the plot this episode?
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jan 28, 2018 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
Getting better and better each week.

I pity the people who dropped it after the wierd first episode.
Jan 28, 2018 6:26 AM

Jan 2013
These two stories made a nice combo actually, might be the best episode so far.

Jan 28, 2018 8:05 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
That was awesome. I was legimately creeped out.
Jan 28, 2018 8:28 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
My trypophobia kicked in this episode. and it wasn't pleasant ;_;
Ugh, I had to make sure that I was watching the first half of the episode in a small window XD
Jan 28, 2018 11:39 AM

Dec 2016
Best episode so far. Leaps and bounds better than the first eps.
Let's hope this upward trend in quality continues!
Jan 28, 2018 1:19 PM
Aug 2013
I wasn't sure at the beginning of this series but after watching this episode I can say that I'm glad an anime adaptation happened
Jan 28, 2018 5:18 PM

Jun 2010
Best episode that we've had so far. Seeing Hideo move around and talk made the holes in his body look more ghoulish than the original drawings in Shiver and the janky animation as well using Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy for the ballet puppets greatly enhanced the atmosphere of the House of the Marionettes story. A few story cuts here and there, but nothing that negatively affected episode quality.

Solid 5/5 episode.
Jan 28, 2018 8:24 PM

Jan 2014
The puppet one made no sense, but I like the concept.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 29, 2018 5:31 AM

Oct 2015
I have a feeling I'm one of the only people who's yet to find any episode truly scary or creepy. And I'm usually a massive wuss when it comes to horror.

Probably the only story to unsettle me was the slug girl one but even then I got over it quickly. The most interesting so far was the crossroads pretty boy but it's ending was too lackluster (yes I know they all have open-endings and are meant to but it still seemed too 'meh'). I'll continue to watch as it is entertaining and the stories are interesting but I am disappointed it's failed to give me any sense of the unease or suspense I was expecting.
Jan 29, 2018 10:25 AM

Jun 2012
I have borderline Trypophobia and the first part had me shivering :(

The second one was not that scary, but I loved it. Too bad the girl had to die just because she shoved him in the first place :D

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself."
-- Murakami Haruki
Jan 29, 2018 2:49 PM

Jul 2010
Definitely my favorite episode so far. Feels like the animation got better too, not like it was bad or anything previously but still.
Jan 29, 2018 3:42 PM
May 2017
after reading the og short story, gotta say, the anime director/writer/whoever made the right choice cutting the part where the dude sees the 'puppeteers' on top of the ceiling, makes the whole thing way more creepy, since it makes you wonder WHO or even WHAT was up there, if there was anything to begin with.
Jan 30, 2018 2:34 AM
Mar 2017
RabidFish said:
after reading the og short story, gotta say, the anime director/writer/whoever made the right choice cutting the part where the dude sees the 'puppeteers' on top of the ceiling, makes the whole thing way more creepy, since it makes you wonder WHO or even WHAT was up there, if there was anything to begin with.
But you still see the puppeteers dead bodies or whatever you wanna call them in the anime
Jan 30, 2018 4:08 AM
May 2017
Laurits said:
RabidFish said:
But you still see the puppeteers dead bodies or whatever you wanna call them in the anime

mmmh, didn't remember that... Still, you don't see their faces so there's still more ambiguity than in the OG manga.
Jan 30, 2018 7:25 AM
Mar 2017
RabidFish said:
Laurits said:

mmmh, didn't remember that... Still, you don't see their faces so there's still more ambiguity than in the OG manga.
True you dont see their faces (atleast not in good detail) but you still see them so wouldn’t there be the same ambiguity as the manga? or am i just misunderstanding something here? (Which is a possibility)
Jan 30, 2018 2:32 PM
May 2017
Laurits said:
RabidFish said:

True you dont see their faces (atleast not in good detail) but you still see them so wouldn’t there be the same ambiguity as the manga? or am i just misunderstanding something here? (Which is a possibility)

The faces in the manga make them seem clearly human (possessed, maybe?). Also, they don't collapse when JP gets destroyed. Also, not seeing what's up in the ceiling make it way more creepy. In the manga it's just that: A ceiling like a theater or sumin'. It's not ambiguos at all.

I dunno, i think it's way more creepy the way the anime pulled it off, but you don't seem to get it lol... It's all about the information you make clear and what you leave in the dark.
Jan 31, 2018 6:52 AM

Apr 2016
Best anime of the season, each anthology is interesting with no lull time. Won't do well because it's horror still amazing though
Jan 31, 2018 9:58 PM
Mar 2017
RabidFish said:
Laurits said:

The faces in the manga make them seem clearly human (possessed, maybe?). Also, they don't collapse when JP gets destroyed. Also, not seeing what's up in the ceiling make it way more creepy. In the manga it's just that: A ceiling like a theater or sumin'. It's not ambiguos at all.

I dunno, i think it's way more creepy the way the anime pulled it off, but you don't seem to get it lol... It's all about the information you make clear and what you leave in the dark.
i get what you mean now! Sorry i kinda misunderstood you earlier which i apologise for
Feb 3, 2018 2:28 PM

Dec 2010
The best episode so far. First story was simply good, but the second was pretty perfect when it comes to horror. Do not mess with the puppets. I will never understand why some people want to mess with those scary dolls.
Feb 3, 2018 5:04 PM

Feb 2013
The holes thing was creepy.

The puppet thing went about as expected.
Feb 5, 2018 1:01 AM

Jan 2013
About the first story: nooooooooo I need to know what happened after this

about the 2nd: Jean Piere you bitch! That's why you should not trust any of the dolls.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."
Feb 5, 2018 5:25 PM

Feb 2010
I actually don't think I can watch this one. I'm only 10 minutes in and I'm actually sick to my stomach. I actually don't get grossed out easily but holes are something I just cannot stand. Especially in the human body that's disgusting. That's just nasty. I'm going to try to finish it but I honestly don't know if it's worth it. If it's gonna make me physically sick than it would be stupid to watch it.
I love junji ito so much but this is just too much for me. I love horror and his stories but this one is the only one I don't think I could handle.

I think I'm gonna go ahead and skip to the next one which makes me feel terrible because I definitely don't want to skip it. I was super excited about this series. But ugh.

Really liked the second story especially since my favorite kind of horror stories are ones with dolls! Just felt really short and like there was a lot missing. Haven't read this one yet but I definitely have to now! So far none of my favorite stories have been animated but I'm still really excited about this series.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin
Feb 6, 2018 2:23 AM

Apr 2015
First half was damn gross. Second half was quite creative
Feb 7, 2018 6:19 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The first story about the holes was horrific!!!
The second, the puppeteer controlled by the puppet, was cool too!!!
Feb 9, 2018 1:38 AM

Mar 2009
AAAAHHHHHH. I hate puppets/dolls coming to life! Scary stuff.
Feb 16, 2018 8:36 AM

Jun 2013
I knew Hideo's voice actor was Tomokazu Sugita! His voice is really distinct and easy to recognize.

Damn, Hideo was fucking stupid. At least his stupidity saved Rina-chan. That curse is a trypophobiac's nightmare. lol

The puppet segment was pretty creepy but not totally scary. It's better in the manga but poor Kinuko. I hate puppets the most so it creeped me out.
臭い-
Feb 25, 2018 4:24 AM

Jul 2009
Very nice episode, creepy and good haha
Jean-Pierre killing the girlfriend was sad...
Mar 26, 2018 8:09 AM

May 2016
The jade doesn't give you hives, it turns you into one~

The puppet certainly was in control after all. Jean Pierre looked horrid.

May 21, 2018 2:08 PM

Aug 2014
Probably my favorite episode so far. Both stories were unsettling and had good payoffs and adapted the stories pretty good. However I wouldn't say that many of the episodes up until this point have been super impactful. They may be unsettling in the moment, but they fail to leave any real sense of horror afterwards like most of Junji Ito's work does.

Again as well, I'm starting to notice a very noticeable lack of quality in the animation department. There are some very awkward moments where the character will be screaming, however the intensity of their expression doesn't match the screech escaping the character. Most of the animated segments are very stilted and rigid. It feels very lazy. I hope this gets better as the show goes on, however I have a feeling it won't.
CriscosandwichMay 21, 2018 2:44 PM

Dec 11, 2019 9:03 AM
Jun 2013
ok that hole shit made me cringe especially when they zoomed in and the part where we see the guys freaking eyeball.

I went wtf in the puppet when he found his brother and his stringed up family. I also couldn't help but think about when they had to use the bathroom or have sex. Did they have to be strung along for that to? I felt bad for that girl as she was stabbed to death just cause she was there.
Mar 8, 2020 3:55 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Damn the last story was really disturbing
Oct 22, 2022 12:31 AM

Dec 2009
Shiver is decent even though it's fairly interesting for a jade stone to curse people with holes in their body, while a doctor searches any owner to kill them.
I don't remember what, but I think they cut out a bit of content to the grandpa's research and who the doctor is. As hoped from imagining it through the manga, the girl's screams were great. 6/10.

House of Puppets is one of my favorites.
Again, like most of this anime it seems, the adaption was slightly condensed with some insight to the romantic feelings from Haruhiko and Kinuko, and a bit more insight to their lives of puppetry and their father's and brother's mentality was cut.

Although, nonetheless, great adaption from one of my top favorite short stories from Junji Itou in House of Puppets. 8/10.
The fact that the living Puppet Jean-Pierre is controlling his father to then the older brother, and how the younger siblings are reintroduced to their older brother and his family in a house of them being held by strings like puppets, to then Jean-Pierre's revenge against Kinuko in killing her and the ending twist of the older brother and his family possibly always or after Jean-Pierre was killed... having turned into puppets... Amazing.
The soundtrack, the moments of natural ambience, voice acting and overall tone is very well done.
Oct 22, 2022 5:32 AM
Oct 2019
omg the first part "Shiver" was hard to watch.
RIP people with trypophobia.

House of Puppets, the idea of yourself become a puppet already terrifying.
damn that ending was brutal.

after finished watching the episode my body still having a goosebumps.. wtf
Dec 4, 2022 8:00 AM
Jun 2020
Woah didn't expect hidaka to be death... 😦
Feb 16, 2023 8:44 PM

Feb 2021
That doll really something else...
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 12, 2023 1:24 AM
Mar 2021
I liked the jumpscare in Shiver, and Marionette Mansion was a relatively faithful adaptation
Jul 3, 2023 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
As a person with tryphobia, it was horrible! I felt like puking.
I didn't like the puppet episode that much. It didn't really made sense to me.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is the blu ray version better?

Andru230 - Mar 27

2 by Andru230 »»
Apr 15, 9:42 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2018

162 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 24, 12:03 PM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2018

238 by Moxymoxymo »»
Mar 22, 1:04 AM

» Question for whoever has completed this series.....

Elbezo - Dec 11, 2023

5 by Koukyoukyoku »»
Jan 11, 7:03 AM

Poll: » Ito Junji: Collection Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2018

100 by Ayaraa_ »»
Nov 12, 2023 12:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.