Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Violet Evergarden Episode 3 Discussion

Jan 31, 1:05 PM

This episode really felt like a much better than the previous ones.
Really enjoyed this new girl Luculia, hope she appears more and interacts more with Violet, because she really needs it. I mean the interaction with other people.
Glad that she is improving, slowly but improving.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 31, 1:15 PM

Lelouch0202 said:
Definitely the best episode till date.

I took a real liking to Luculia, I hope she's a recurring character.

The part where Violet gives Luculia's brother her ghostwritten letter made me tear up, that was a really well done scene.

Violet is finally beginning to understand the human heart. :)

The final scene with Luculia helping her brother back to place with the scenic view was great and congratulations to Violet for graduating.
It's often the simplest and most straightforward words that have the most powerful resonance within people. :)

Pretty much everything I was going to say about this episode ^, haha.

This episode probably saved the anime for me. There are still flaws, of course, but this episode actually connected to me on a more emotional level than any other episode so far. I only hope for more just like this!

Jan 31, 3:20 PM

"One decently written letter" is an understatement; it was one line, and being timely in the delivery.

Feb 1, 2:02 AM

Julle said:
Oh my god. Is it the same director that did Kyoukai no Kanata? Now i'm really getting worried...

That explains why I feel Kyoukai no Kanata's vibe in the ED!
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>

Feb 1, 8:06 AM
TheSmilingShoujo said:
Julle said:
Oh my god. Is it the same director that did Kyoukai no Kanata? Now i'm really getting worried...

That explains why I feel Kyoukai no Kanata's vibe in the ED!

Yeah, it's basically a copy of the ED in Kyoukai no Kanata. I personally like the art, but it also feels pretty lame as it resembles Kyoukai way too much.. This whole universe thing doesn't fit Violet imo :/
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 1, 9:41 AM
Soli The Lewdy

Anotha great episode with Violet slowly understanding the human emotions. Dat ending in the tower <3 FeelsGoodMan

Feb 2, 8:55 AM

Ah! I'm always up for a pure siblings bond/love in any kind of media: anime, cartoon, movie etc... It's always been my thing to watch how sibs are the biggest friends/family for each other even with a small amount of time but impacting. Lucuria and her brother were lovely siblings.

4/5 The anime is very pretty and enchanting tho. I can also say the same for the characters' design.
They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there.
No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on.
But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says:

" sᴇᴀʀᴄʜ ғᴏʀ ᴘᴀʀᴀᴅɪsᴇ. "

Feb 3, 2:31 AM

Eanraig said:
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far. And Violet passing just after one decently written letter is kinda bull...

What do you mean by predictable? This anime isn't focused on plot twists but rather on character development (at least from the episodes so far). This is probably one of the best anime I've seen in terms of character portrayals and even the character side stories are brilliant. I mean at face value, it's a person's search for emotions. If you would like some unpredictability, please stop watching and posting stupid complaints.

Also, there is some very powerful use of emotions when the letter is being written. The letter was short, sweet, and direct, exactly what was needed to describe what Luculia was feeling. Coincidentally, Violet was perfectly qualified for the job because she wouldn't be able to describe any form of complex emotions and she tends to oversimplify the situation. It's hilarious because that was the full extent of Violet's letter-writing capability. As for Violet passing, I believe that the headmaster stated she has the full discretion of allowing who can receive her brooch. Also, I'm certain that the headmaster was awarding Violet the brooch based on her potential rather than her current capability.

Feb 5, 9:23 AM

This series feels a little rushed to me. But I'm still liking it. It has a unique perspective. Even if it doesn't always make good on that. And I like a lot of the characters. The new red head girl was super cute. And made me care about the main story of this episode. Since her brother was kind of a snore fest. I felt so bad for her when she gave her little monologue to Violet.

This show hasn't blown me away with its characterization or plotting. But it's been gorgeous to look at. And I've enjoyed it enough. It's had some really resonant moments amid some more boilerplate ones. Definitely sticking with it. And hoping it goes places.

Feb 5, 10:59 PM

Violet's hyper-mechanical attitude is annoying me no end, I know that's the whole point but she's still borderline unpleasant at the moment. Not sure to what extent it will change for the better, though it will.

New girl was almost unrealistically sweet. Sukasuka vibes on the tower

Episode was rushed. Agreeing with Gwathgor's points. More enjoyable though.

Feb 8, 11:09 AM

Finally, the Violet could write a letter with feelings!!! The plot was forced, but i cannot complain!!!

Hello, my litte boy!

Feb 9, 3:54 PM

Hmm, bit better than previous episode and I like Luculia's character (too bad she won't be joining the crew as I found her the most likeable so far) but the story of her brother was just extremely forced melodrama, like 'cry now' exclamation for the viewers. Also, Violet only wrote what she told her, that can be barely called developement. Everything was overly romantic again and not very subtle as it should have been.

Also, dunno about Cattleya and Benedict fighting but they just acted like children, and were purposefully show as would lovers. I dunno, for KyoAni, self-installed masters of clever gestures and meaningful feelings this was way too direct. Not that it would work like this IRL, it was just for sake of showing their interaction and it was weak developement.

Well, the original writing probably isn't anything close to stellar but the adaptation suffers from other same flaws Kyoukai no Kanata suffered before, it highlights wrong things and most of the meaningful plot devices are overdone. It's no surprise because it shares the same (not very experienced) director and

Feb 11, 11:21 AM
I have no idea why I shed tears in the first episode and I have no idea again why I shed tear in this episode. The only reason I can think of is, this is very well executed. This is some top grade filler imo and I usually hate filler to the core.

Feb 14, 8:32 PM

Violet Everboring turned out to not be boring this time. This was the best episode so far. But graduating after writing just one good letter is stupid.

Feb 14, 10:36 PM

Congrats to the MAL community for memeing this show into the top 200.

I'm three episodes in and there has not been a single memorable character, moment or development in the story. If nothing improves over the next couple of episodes I diagnose the lot of you as clinically insane.

Feb 15, 10:13 PM

FrozenSheep said:
I quite enjoyed this episode. Slow buildup, satisfying conclusions. Amazing side characters. It's so much better than that other show...

I'm slowly feeling the hype.

That other show?

I thought this episode was the best so far. Luculia sure is a sweet girl. I like her a lot.

Feb 16, 9:07 PM
Aww, this episode was so beautiful!! I agree with Violet that a letter doesn't have to be long to be meaningful. It can be short, but sweet and the meaning will still be there! I also loved the new friend Violet made though...Luculia, right? She was such a sweetheart and I hope we get to see more of her! :D Her backstory with her parents and brother was sad, but the fact that he's alive and well and there for her is all that really matters, especially since their parents had died! As always, the side characters are so enjoyable to watch! I think my favorite side character is Benedict. Not only is he cute, but he's also funny (and tbh, I lowkey shipped him and Violet in the beginning ... but then there's the major that was there with Violet from the start and I ship them too so it's like who do I choose??). This episode is a 5/5 for me! :)

Feb 22, 10:59 AM

Eanraig said:
Really annoyed that every episode has been very predictable so far. And Violet passing just after one decently written letter is kinda bull...

Well if you had a student that had a 100% in attendance, a 100% in writing, and a 100% in typing and a 50% in actual interpretation in emotions that swung-by later with a solid A letter then I guess it makes sense.

ricardocsc said:
beatiful landscape, but the story is kinda boring...

Well so is life sometimes.

Personally I think its just different enough to keep watching but its pretty predictable as some say but then again hard not to be.

Feb 22, 11:27 AM
yumesan said:
It showed that she was able to understand, through baby steps. For Violet, it will take her a lot, so that's why even though it was a few words, it's a big step for her ^^

That's the only way it makes sense, thanks!

Feb 23, 4:07 PM
Can I just say that this episode is half triggering me because of one tiny little detail? Here I was enjoying the episode when as the episode concluded my overanalytical side kicked in and focused itself on the last line, "She was a great girl." Was a great girl. Was, was, was, WAS! Now I'm expecting her to either die, disappear, or go through some moral degeneracy crap despite knowing that could never happen. (just guessing, this doesn't feel like a show that would do that) And it's gonna keep nagging at me until the series ends. But otherwise the episode was awesome and the show is doing great for coming in with no expectations. *sigh* Welp, maybe I need to go watch something else, maybe Darling in the FranXX?

Feb 23, 5:52 PM

Evakyl said:
*sigh* Welp, maybe I need to go watch something else, maybe Darling in the FranXX?

FRANXX will save you from all the depression if you haven't seen it already. So, yeah. Go watch it.

Mar 1, 4:57 PM

This episode was very nice. Despite being an excellent worker, Violet still has some trouble conveying feelings when transcribing someone's speech into a letter.

Violet's new friend, Luculia, helped her understand a little more about how feeling work, and the letter she typed for Luculia's brother proved that.

It's fun witnessing Violet grow emotionally as a person.

Mar 2, 12:06 AM

I fucking cried wtf

Mar 7, 3:53 PM
:D

Luculia is only a side character, but even her design is top-notch.

So many feels in this episode, and I can only expect more down the road as Violet grows closer to understanding emotions. She did good in this episode :)

Mar 9, 3:19 AM

I don't know man I think a Doll's got to be one of the most pointless jobs ever. I mean why hire someone to write for you when you can just learn how to write? Also what are the chances that the people who receive the letters don't know how to read themselves lol. Also I'm still waiting for this to get good cause so far it's still mediocre.
Duterte did 9/11

Mar 16, 6:18 PM

Good episode, surprised she graduated with just that letter. Wonder if it was a special circumstance or she really learned how to convey meaning.

Mar 17, 5:16 AM

Nice episode and emotional. So, this anime is episodic?

Mar 17, 6:08 AM

ErnaGhoul said:

Mostly episodic. But the episodic stories get better and better and the backstory kicks in from episode 5. Episodes 7-10 have been quite phenomenal. The latest episode (episode 10) has made the anime the AOTS for many both in MAL and in Japanese boards that you can see from the stats/comments.

Mar 17, 6:19 AM

shanimebib said:
ErnaGhoul said:

Mostly episodic. But the episodic stories get better and better and the backstory kicks in from episode 5. Episodes 7-10 have been quite phenomenal. The latest episode (episode 10) has made the anime the AOTS for many both in MAL and in Japanese boards that you can see from the stats/comments.

I see. One reason I started this anime because of the stats that MAL posted on Facebook about the latest episode. It's very interesting anime.

Mar 17, 6:28 AM

ErnaGhoul said:
shanimebib said:

I see. One reason I started this anime because of the stats that MAL posted on Facebook about the latest episode. It's very interesting anime.

Just checked the post in MAL Facebook and they used the screencap from my post lol. But tbh, 90+% giving it a 5/5 is not a very solid information. What makes the percentage quite sensational is the the number of votes too. 900+ users gave the episode a 5/5.

Mar 21, 4:11 AM
Aww so happy autist Saber graduated. Tho for a strict school that's rather fast, probably Violet already had top grades for everything else & just needed a nod that she can write real letters. Duno why folks want to skip all this, it shows autist growing her character in a work SOL. She starts as bluntly assertive, oblivious of her ways ie taking words at face value, then agrees to learn to understand people's real meaning & feelings. For autism that is actually quite fast but there's not that many episodes.
Luculia is awesome, maybe Violet's first friend, much more likable than most of Claudia's staff, needs more screentime for reals. Her bro as injured drunk vet shows a bit more on the postwar theme. It's typical but presented realistically & unglamorous even tho they won.
At first felt it's just bit nicer art, but admittedly backgrounds & attire fashion are quite beautiful & film level detailed when comparing with other shows.
OP lowkey nice... really showing too little like trying not to spoil anything.
ED's more special, gives a calm 'Key' feel.
Eh I don't notice this slowpace folks speak of (im busy taking screenshots too...). There are slower shows that still work out like robotics;note, acca, fune wo amu, amanchu etc.

Mar 25, 7:30 PM

Wow the animation is the best I've ever seen. Each frame is like a painting by Monet.

The characters and story are growing very slowly, but I don't mind the pace. Everything doesn't have to be thrown at you during the opening credits.

Though I believe we have to see Violet go all "Super-weapon" at least once. Remember the adage if there is a gun on the wall it has to go off before the final act.

Mar 26, 11:36 AM

Such a slow and not that sad episode, and I already felt like crying there at the end xD This is gonna be sooo good.

Opening is fine, but not my KyoAni favourite tbh.

Apr 6, 11:19 PM

Nice episode and visuals very nice so far. Kind of slow story, but still triggered me a bit

Apr 7, 8:37 AM

Well, this show once again the difficulties that Violet has in normal life, that is quite understandable...

she at least got a friend from the school....tough looks like she has her own difficulties....like that brother of her.....somewhat understandable reasons for drink but being drunkard is not an answer.

this series has really gathered my intrest for now....I will finish this and then decide if this deserve the 9..
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))

Apr 7, 8:39 AM

Violet was great. Her typing is fast and accurate. 200 wpm is insane. Though she lacks conveying the feelings in the letter she later improved. It is one small step in becoming a auto memories doll. And with that Luculia and his brother's relations improve.d.

Congrats to her to becoming a 1st rate auto memories doll.

Apr 8, 8:54 AM

This episode sure touched a sensitive snare! Amazing just amazing, even now with the fantastic OP & ED I really must say that this anime is just fantastic! Really loved how Violet actually graduated, and while she might still have lots to learn about emotions, I sure am looking forwards to see what's next.

Apr 12, 9:56 AM

I liked this episode. And how she used very few words to convey Luculia's feelings. It was perfect for Violet as a beginner now starting to understand how others feel-- don't overdo it. The point will still get across. Nice touch indeed.

Apr 12, 6:12 PM

I enjoyed this FAR more than the first two episodes... I nearly teared up during the climax where Violet gave the girl's brother the letter.

I can't understate how gorgeous this show is. Might be the most beautiful anime I've ever watched, and even where a select few works (such as Makoto Shinkai's trash) might marginally beat it in the raw quality department, Violet Evergarden has the upper hand in atmosphere and charm. The rustic 1940s European atmosphere, including all of the accompanying gorgeous environments, architecture, and unique choice in lighting -- that can't be understated. The character designs are gorgeous too.

Apr 16, 10:36 PM

What a sweet episodes. The art is so pretty. I especially love their eyes. Still waiting to see where this goes though. Just writing letters seems a bit "boring" I'm excited to see what else happens.
FOLLOW MY SOCIAL MEDIA IF YOU LIKE COSPLAY ADN ANIME RELATED VIDEOS!
https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyMeilin
https://www.facebook.com/Ladymeilin

Apr 21, 1:22 PM

Nice to see that Violet's directness resulted in a favorable outcome in this particular case. Wonder if they'll use her as a niche option in the meantime for when they feel that a client's situation would be better with a direct approach vs a flowery and soft approach.

Not sure if I agree with Violet graduating just due to that letter though. She still isn't able to uncover and properly articulate the more complex emotions that clients come to the company with, and she really only wrote down what Luculia told her. While sometimes, being direct and straightforward can be what is needed for the situation, this seems to be contrary to why they sent her to the school in the first place. But then again, with elite marks in all other areas, if her approach can help some out there, then that's ultimately fulfilling the duties of her job. That being said, it was sweet how she was able to tell Spencer what Luculia didn't have courage to tell herself.

Apr 28, 8:38 PM
</denied>

Luculia really shined here and very interesting to see how Violet is viewed but I want more of her inner depths revealed; I know it's episode 3, I'm just waiting.

I do think stuff is a little sped up for convince and the issue of Luculia brother and family is a little one note. But overall I feel like emotion really shined here.

ɪꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛᴡᴏ ᴏꜰ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʀᴇᴄᴏɢɴɪᴢᴇ ᴇᴀᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʜᴏɴᴇꜱᴛʟʏ ʀᴀɪꜱᴇ ᴇᴀᴄʜ ᴏᴛʜᴇʀ ᴜᴘ
ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇꜱᴛ ʜᴇʀᴏᴇꜱ, ᴡʜᴏ ʙᴏᴛʜ ᴡɪɴ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴇꜱᴄᴜᴇ.

Apr 30, 12:15 PM

Nice episode, love Luculia.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

May 2, 3:08 PM

Violet made a friend and were able to write a good letter!

May 6, 3:34 PM
So far this is a 7. Which means that it's good and disappointing at the same time. I'll give it a couple more episodes, but I'm pretty sure it'll score below march comes in like a lion. I know Violent is suppose to be a view point character more than a main character at this point, but the side characters aren't grabbing me all that much either.

May 10, 8:02 PM

Wow. It's such a good show. Every episode has struck my heart somehow. Beautiful.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

interested in manga scanlation translation? PM me! i'm interested in working on a new project.

May 21, 5:19 AM

Wow, Luculia is hot. :) I hope she becomes a main.

Aug 17, 2:36 AM
at least we got a intro. Its not to bad. pretty eh episode. Its crap that violet got the pin when she didn't really decipher anything it was word for word.

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]