Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 8, 2018 7:09 AM

Jun 2015
Grey-Zone said:
Dark_Lord9 said:

You just expressed most of what I want to say about overlord but I think that Log horizon is better because it really shows how a real MMORPG looks like. Actually Log Horizon does it better than any other anime yet I'm very salty to see how LH season 2 ended the anime franchise because of that arc around the end that was so boring that everybody were like FUCK IT when the whole season 2 of Overlord was a pain in the ass for how plain, empty and boring it was yet manages to have almost an 8 but also the anime lives to see a season 3 that was released very quickly too while a lot of actual good animes doesn't manage to have a season 2. How pitiful !

That's not quite right. "Season 3" was planned long before "Season 2" started airing. Because pre-production can't be done in mere 3-6 months. It was essentially planned as a single 26 episodes split-cour season, but Madhouse kept it a secret until the first part (i.e. "Season 2") finished airing. I suspect that they planned to make it a 26 episodes split-cour instead of a regular 13 episodes season exactly for the reasons you mentioned. The ending of "Season 2" was rather underwhelming and Madhouse didn't want the hype from Season 1 do die, so they decided to put "Season 3" right afterwards, since it has a much better and somewhat conclusive ending that might surpass the one from Season 1.

This is very understandable still, I'm salty to see some good animes stopping at season 1 while Overlord manages to succeed this much.

Sep 8, 2018 7:42 AM
Oct 2016
I don't see anything wrong with you though. I don't read the novel, and I feel the story in the anime is quite strange, they keep added everything unrelated to the main story, like they did in the second season and I'm keep forgetting about the main story when the episode changes. It's good, but not that good, but it's not bad too.
Sep 22, 2018 9:59 AM

Aug 2016
Grey-Zone said:
No, because for some reason any isekai series is taken to some super high standard just because it's isekai. A series like Overlord which already started in 2015 is actually still better off.

Any isekai anime adaptation from 2017 on seems to have it even worse because like 99% of the evaluation is the setting and almost every other aspect is being ignored for some reason. They get dismissed for having "the same start", yet other genres, be it the usual shounen series or any "regular" fantasy series, is for some reason allowed to get away with "being the same as everything else" for some reason.

So no, I don't think Overlord is overrated. On the contrary I think it's underrated just because it's isekai, though not as much as newer isekai series.

I don't understand the comparison between isekai and the different genres you mentioned. Isekai in and of itself isnt bad and if public perception towards a series is negative just out of a dislike for the genre its being told in thats the result of their bias.

On the other hand, I don't think Overlord is underrated. I don't even think its even an isekai on a structural level.

Most isekai stories are fish out of water stories. All fish out of water stories follow the hero's journey. The MC goes to the world of stories, is out of his element, but learns something of value after struggling for it, and returns to the world of no stories a changed person.

Overlord's MC has no pre story world establishment. Other than the fact Momonga says he's a salaryman and has no friends since they left the game for their own lives, who is this person? Why is he so anti social in IRL? How does he choose to behave at work? Why does he believe this to be the best way to live his life?

The anime begins with a establishing scene of Momonga in the game world after a bit of exposition. Why? Besides the menu graphics, isnt the game world practically the new world? Am I supposed to find it surprising in a show about a mmo, the MC is actually playing one? Why didnt they start with him at work, where he's antisocial and everyone notices. That way it would make sense for him to run to escapism.

Also the emotion supressor is ridiculous. Why put in a mechanism that robs a character of any responsibility behind his decision making? In season 1 we see Momonga decide to ignore saving a village since he's become desensitized to violence, and he only does save the village because Sebas reminded him of a time he was saved by Sebas's creator/Momonga's friend. But wasn't he just saved in the game? How is that the same thing?

Is he a Tsundere overlord? "I'm going to save you...but not because I want to or anything!"

Because I have no idea of who the MC was before the story started I can't understand his thought process/empathize with him. And because the series uses misunderstandings and magical humanity removers, it tries to play Momonga off as a victim of circumstance. But it backfires into feeling like such a copout for garnering sympathy.

Question: If all the denizens of Nazerick are unquestionably loyal to Momonga, why doesn't Momonga clearly assert what he wants? What threat do they pose to him? His worshippers are programmed to obey right? Even Demiurgus is unable to deny Momonga's wishes right?

And am I supposed to really believe for a second that this character had no idea he was taking over the world? Am I supposed to find it funny that it takes him 3 seasons to find out?

Overlord has an 8/10 for effectively being an all over the place version of Tanya the Evil. Except Tanya's goals, flaws and personality are so well charecterized in just 2 episodes. I don't agree with Tanya, but I can understand her thought process completely since I've seen her establish her character in her old job. There's a dramatic change from the world where stories don't happen, and the isekai story world.

Overlord is overrated, and I don't get the appeal at all. Not because its an isekai since it fails at being one. And not because of it being a power fantasy considering Momonga is just peer pressured into world domination and we know he's not fucking anyone from his harem now that he's been turned into a eunuch.

I think the series setting and world building are phenomenal, and the secondary cast are characterized in a way that I can empathize easily with them. But Overlord (the anime) is a 4/10 for me. Its such a copout if a narrative, and I'm 3 seasons in and I still have no idea why out of all the players was Momonga the only one teleported. The mystery isn't even addresssed after season 1.
Somali_StrawhatSep 22, 2018 10:06 AM
Sep 22, 2018 2:48 PM

Apr 2015
Only watched the first season.Found it to be a SAO that gets away with it because the MC is a skeleton and every character in Momonga's entourage is only there to waste every minute of screen time saying how great the MC is.
Fairy Tail levels of "lel I wasnt using even half of my power" kind of cringe.
Lackluster action.
Asspull after asspull.
Only redeeming point is the music.
Sep 23, 2018 1:15 PM
Nov 2014
fruits_punch95 said:
and every character in Momonga's entourage is only there to waste every minute of screen time saying how great the MC is.

Asspull after asspull.

The NPCs of the nazarick were originally created by Momonga's friends...of course they are loyal and have great opinions of him.

Which asspull moments again ? Do remind me so I can jog my memory.
Sep 23, 2018 1:34 PM

Apr 2015
BruceLad said:
fruits_punch95 said:
and every character in Momonga's entourage is only there to waste every minute of screen time saying how great the MC is.

Asspull after asspull.

The NPCs of the nazarick were originally created by Momonga's friends...of course they are loyal and have great opinions of him.

Which asspull moments again ? Do remind me so I can jog my memory.

The whole fight with Shalltear, which by the way was supposed to be hype, it wasn't.

Also, yeah, I can understand that they are NPCs that would ofc have great opinons of him but that does not justify that every last minute is spent praising him, like yeah we get it we get it Momonga is great, now have the characters try to be interesting for a change. Momonga was not interesting enough on his own so it would have been cool if the other characters were.
Sep 23, 2018 2:10 PM
Nov 2014
fruits_punch95 said:
The whole fight with Shalltear, which by the way was supposed to be hype, it wasn't.

Also, yeah, I can understand that they are NPCs that would ofc have great opinons of him but that does not justify that every last minute is spent praising him, like yeah we get it we get it Momonga is great, now have the characters try to be interesting for a change. Momonga was not interesting enough on his own so it would have been cool if the other characters were.

It was shown that Ainz had already geared up with world items before fighting with Shalltear tho. He took them from nazarick's treasury, which is filled with overpowered items that his old mates left before they quitted playing YGGDRASIL. If it's the cash shop items (glass thingy item that Ainz breaks to reduce his powerful spell cast time) then yeah, that item is unfair but it's not surprising since he is a hoarder. Momonga is a LVL 100 character from a broken game that is filled with P2W players including himself.

It depends on personal preferences, I love the chemistry between Ainz and his followers. Each of them have their own quirks.
Sep 24, 2018 8:25 AM

Sep 2017
IamNET said:
Am i the only one who think overlord is overrated.Many say they like the series bcuz of OP MC.But the MC is so weird,i feel the MC doesnt fit in,with that skeleton body.And the plot is really simple.I didnt really enjoyed it.I watched season 1,then i quit.I am not telling i hate it,but i didnt like it that much.
Am i the only one who feels that way?

It's absolute garbage. I might have been able to give a more fair assesment of the story if looking at it didn't make me want to remove my eyes as fast as possible.
Sep 24, 2018 8:32 AM

Sep 2017
Red_Ryu12345 said:
I gave Overlord a 9/10 and the current season an 8/10 because it knows exactly what it is and goes all out on it. It's a blatant power fantasy with a character who has a unique design given he isn't a pretty boy like Kirito but instead a handsome skeleton whom his #2 in command has a body pillow of.

Season 2 is world building a lot but that is fine, the lizard men stuff is still very entertaining.

How does being blatantly aware it's a shitty power fantasy make it less bad? It knows it's bad and doesn't try to be anything better.
Sep 24, 2018 9:01 AM
Nov 2014
Hellitself said:
It's absolute garbage. I might have been able to give a more fair assesment of the story if looking at it didn't make me want to remove my eyes as fast as possible.

But you have the recent season on your top favourites anime tho ? ;)
Sep 24, 2018 9:12 AM

Sep 2017
BruceLad said:
Hellitself said:

But you have the recent season on your top favourites anime tho ? ;)

Well, it seems you're right. It was an accident lmao. It's not even listed under completed on my profile. The first season is listed as dropped, man.
Sep 24, 2018 9:29 AM

Oct 2014
Hellitself said:
IamNET said:
Am i the only one who think overlord is overrated.Many say they like the series bcuz of OP MC.But the MC is so weird,i feel the MC doesnt fit in,with that skeleton body.And the plot is really simple.I didnt really enjoyed it.I watched season 1,then i quit.I am not telling i hate it,but i didnt like it that much.

Except it isn't. Power fantasy would be a case of someone who brags about his OPness and proudly demonstrates it without regard or worry for anything while fully embracing it, i.e. all the good parts without any of the bad parts of having huge power.

Ainz? He is totally shaken up about his situation, is extremely paranoid to the point he constantly assumes that someone stronger than him is just around the corner even if there isn't. And all he cares about are his guildmates, his friends, who are not even there. He feels absolutely nothing about his superior powers in his new world and feels troubled all the time about how to maintain a facade of a flawless Overlord in front of his and his friends' creations.

This is anything but a power fantasy. The opposite actually: It shows how all the "bad stuff" that comes with having too much power and not having any solid purpose in wielding it looks like.
Grey-ZoneSep 24, 2018 10:11 AM
Sep 24, 2018 9:56 AM
Nov 2014
Hellitself said:
Well, it seems you're right. It was an accident lmao. It's not even listed under completed on my profile. The first season is listed as dropped, man.

Oo, I see. I thought you were one of those people who put shows they hate on their favs list just to get some attention hehe.

I respect your opinion for not liking the series, but I do think you're missing out on good stuff by dropping it early on EP 3.
Sep 24, 2018 2:13 PM
Sep 2018
Grey-Zone said:
Hellitself said:

Except it isn't. Power fantasy would be a case of someone who brags about his OPness and proudly demonstrates it without regard or worry for anything while fully embracing it, i.e. all the good parts without any of the bad parts of having huge power.

Ainz? He is totally shaken up about his situation, is extremely paranoid to the point he constantly assumes that someone stronger than him is just around the corner even if there isn't. And all he cares about are his guildmates, his friends, who are not even there. He feels absolutely nothing about his superior powers in his new world and feels troubled all the time about how to maintain a facade of a flawless Overlord in front of his and his friends' creations.

This is anything but a power fantasy. The opposite actually: It shows how all the "bad stuff" that comes with having too much power and not having any solid purpose in wielding it looks like.

Remember "Show, don't tell"
That Satoru is paranoid, insecure, scared, or whatever he is inside Ainz's head is just author's way of telling the audience how to feel. It gets old pretty fast.

Borrowing your words, what overlord shows is exactly a case of someone who brags about his OPness and proudly demonstrates it without regard or worry for anything while fully embracing it, i.e. all the good parts without any of the bad parts of having huge power.

Sorry if it sound rude, but the people that are left to enjoy this show (manga, anime, LN alike) are those that liked to be told how to feel, or god forbid, to be told how to think.
Similar to those that needs a laugh track in order to know which part is funny.

One more thing, MADHOUSE is fully aware of those fanbase situation. That's why they make the show for cheap, and the quality to be such a SHIT.
And they're god damn right, while the general audience says "CGI was shit", diehard fans says "CGI was realistic, its how Ainz views those worthless hoomans guys". Can you believe it?! They fu*king said, "its REAL IS TIC". What an easy money.
Sep 24, 2018 2:41 PM

Oct 2014
00784212 said:
Grey-Zone said:

Remember "Show, don't tell"
That Satoru is paranoid, insecure, scared, or whatever he is inside Ainz's head is just author's way of telling the audience how to feel. It gets old pretty fast.

Borrowing your words, what overlord shows is exactly a case of someone who brags about his OPness and proudly demonstrates it without regard or worry for anything while fully embracing it, i.e. all the good parts without any of the bad parts of having huge power.

Sorry if it sound rude, but the people that are left to enjoy this show (manga, anime, LN alike) are those that liked to be told how to feel, or god forbid, to be told how to think.
Similar to those that needs a laugh track in order to know which part is funny.

One more thing, MADHOUSE is fully aware of those fanbase situation. That's why they make the show for cheap, and the quality to be such a SHIT.
And they're god damn right, while the general audience says "CGI was shit", diehard fans says "CGI was realistic, its how Ainz views those worthless hoomans guys". Can you believe it?! They fu*king said, "its REAL IS TIC". What an easy money.

We already know that Ainz can't have any strong feelings either way because of the automatic feeling negation, so no adrenaline rush from feeling superior towards others, i.e. he cannot even enjoy his powers, a bit similar to Saitama from OPM.

Also how is an internal monologue the same as "telling the audience how to think"? That makes no sense whatsoever. Your entire post is full of non-sequiturs. There is no logic behind your so-called reasoning, no causal relationship behind the cause and effect you describe.

This is definitly rude to say, but it's evident that you are hallucinating the thoughts of other people due to some negative bias, without abandon assuming the worst of both the audience's intelligence and the anime studio's intentions. Sorry but I don't view you as a credible person in terms of mind-reading or psycho-analysing other people, going by what you wrote up until this point.

Rather than Overlord having problems with presenting the story it seems more like you lack reading (or watching) comprehension skills.

Of course you are free to correct me by being more specific. Tell me at what scenes we can observe the show "telling" us how to think?
Sep 24, 2018 3:30 PM
Sep 2018
Grey-Zone said:

We already know that Ainz can't have any strong feelings either way because of the automatic feeling negation, so no adrenaline rush from feeling superior towards others, i.e. he cannot even enjoy his powers, a bit similar to Saitama from OPM.

Also how is an internal monologue the same as "telling the audience how to think"? That makes no sense whatsoever. Your entire post is full of non-sequiturs. There is no logic behind your so-called reasoning, no causal relationship behind the cause and effect you describe.

This is definitly rude to say, but it's evident that you are hallucinating the thoughts of other people due to some negative bias, without abandon assuming the worst of both the audience's intelligence and the anime studio's intentions. Sorry but I don't view you as a credible person in terms of mind-reading or psycho-analysing other people, going by what you wrote up until this point.

Rather than Overlord having problems with presenting the story it seems more like you lack reading (or watching) comprehension skills.

Of course you are free to correct me by being more specific. Tell me at what scenes we can observe the show "telling" us how to think?

Well since you immediately sets up a strawman calling me "biased" and "not credible", All I can do is to quote some screenwriting teacher from the internet:

When the presentation of the information comes out as a forced monologue,
it is often referred to as an "info dump" or "idiot lecture."
Good exposition, however, never simply "dumps" information in our lap.
The skilled screenwriter delivers it through conflict (an argument that starts about one thing escalates when past issues are brought up), through humor (a character teasing another will often illustrate by referring to events of the past), through a character whose occupation demands a delivery of information (professor, lawyer, judge, scientist, etc), or during intense action (a car chase, a shootout, or even just a jog through the park).

When it comes to Overlord, we're shown that Ainz is an unrepentant sociopathic genocidal moron.

But the author tells the audience that Ainz is not just that, not through actions or events, but simply by using exposition dump, forced monologue (internal or verbal, from allies to enemies alike) and even shameless character shilling (that Ainz is benevolent, Ainz is kind, Ainz is justice crap).

I'm more of a "show me, dont just tell" kind of audience, so don't try to force yourself to understand my logic, you're probably the opposite.
Sep 24, 2018 5:37 PM

Oct 2014
00784212 said:
Grey-Zone said:

Well since you immediately sets up a strawman calling me "biased" and "not credible", All I can do is to quote some screenwriting teacher from the internet:

The skilled screenwriter delivers it through conflict (an argument that starts about one thing escalates when past issues are brought up), through humor (a character teasing another will often illustrate by referring to events of the past), through a character whose occupation demands a delivery of information (professor, lawyer, judge, scientist, etc), or during intense action (a car chase, a shootout, or even just a jog through the park).

When it comes to Overlord, we're shown that Ainz is an unrepentant sociopathic genocidal moron.

But the author tells the audience that Ainz is not just that, not through actions or events, but simply by using exposition dump, forced monologue (internal or verbal, from allies to enemies alike) and even shameless character shilling (that Ainz is benevolent, Ainz is kind, Ainz is justice crap).

I'm more of a "show me, dont just tell" kind of audience, so don't try to force yourself to understand my logic, you're probably the opposite.

The fact that you came to this conclusion proves my point. Because it's completely wrong. You took the facade literally as if it was the actual truth. The author never described Ainz like that nor had the intention to. It's a misunderstanding based on how the NPC were programmed and the praises trouble him because they force him to BS his way through their expectations, maintaining his imagine as that flawles ruler of Nazarick.

And Overlord doesn't even have a significant number of these so-called infodumps, and the few cases that exist are only there to explain differences between YGGDRASSIL and the new world. It's used to emphasize to the audience that the world really has changed, like the scene with the death knight summoning, where half of it is told (how it was done in YGGDRASSIL) and the other half was shown (the way how it works in the New World). It's done that way because we obviously never got an opportunity to see how it was in YGGDRASSIL and it's not even really necessary to know the details, but it's important for us to see Momonga noticing these differences and how he deals with them.

The only big infodump, that is somewhat as you describe it, is in the very beginning when Ainz thinks about the guild in the very first episode of the series, but he's not having a random monologue, but rather reminiscing about things in the last moments of YGGDRASSIL, almost like a "life flashing before one's eyes when dying"-scene. I think that was beautifully and more importantly subtly done, as you can feel from his melancholic tone and the BGM that he is not only sad but actually feels like dying half a death due to the servers closing - that's how dear the whole guild is to him and he didn't even have to "tell" us that.

Other than that we learn any other infodump related to the New World alongside the characters involved like when Ainz learns various things about the new world from the village chief in Carne village in season 1 episode 3. He is learning "with us" - it's not just exposition for us, but the characters in the story listen to an explanation of other characters.

It's also something that the series only needs to do very early on, as later it is only used if either get a new perspective from a new character altogether, or a new area of the world is introduced not only to us, but to the character we are watching as well - and also in cases of (properly foreshadowed) plot twists, like what happened in season 3 episode 11.

And what the hell is a "forced" monologue? What's the difference between a "forced" monologue and a "not forced" monologue? You sound as if you have never in your live read a story that's written in first-person-perspective. It sound completely like something normal to me. Isn't this just your subjective personal preference?

I already explained above that the "character shilling" is a farce. To add to that, I'd like to point out that it's a similar case as Mr. Satan from Dragon Ball, just in regards to intelligence rather than strength. The Nazarick people misunderstand him as an absolutely perfect and flawless being, but it's just that: a misunderstanding. It's more of a comedy routine but this is only shown in a faily subtle manner in the beginning that's easy to miss, but it becomes very obvious later on.

Overlord is often subtle with its instances of "show", but anyone can always easily tell what the "tell" is. It doesn't mean the "show" part doesn't exist just because you didn't pay attention to the on-goings.

A good example would be the "judgement" scene for Sebas in season 2,

See? This is one of the instances where something was ONLY shown and never told.

Another thing in season 2 is the "Albion Sheep" that Demi-Urge talks about. Well turns out that it is actually refering to humans and not sheep, but he does strongly imply it in his strongly ironic way of speaking, but the anime never "tells" you either.

These are just a few. I'd be here all night typing if I gave you all the examples of "show don't tell" that happened but people who are not actually seriously watching it, won't notice. Well if one never expects such depth from Overlord in the first place, then it's no wonder why one would miss the truth behind such subtle scenes.

@Darklight0303 would be nice if you help me out here. I can only write so much.
Sep 24, 2018 5:51 PM

Apr 2008
Grey-Zone said:
00784212 said:

The fact that you came to this conclusion proves my point. Because it's completely wrong. You took the facade literally as if it was the actual truth. The author never described Ainz like that nor had the intention to. It's a misunderstanding based on how the NPC were programmed and the praises trouble him because they force him to BS his way through their expectations, maintaining his imagine as that flawles ruler of Nazarick.

And Overlord doesn't even have a significant number of these so-called infodumps, and the few cases that exist are only there to explain differences between YGGDRASSIL and the new world. It's used to emphasize to the audience that the world really has changed, like the scene with the death knight summoning, where half of it is told (how it was done in YGGDRASSIL) and the other half was shown (the way how it works in the New World). It's done that way because we obviously never got an opportunity to see how it was in YGGDRASSIL and it's not even really necessary to know the details, but it's important for us to see Momonga noticing these differences and how he deals with them.

The only big infodump, that is somewhat as you describe it, is in the very beginning when Ainz thinks about the guild in the very first episode of the series, but he's not having a random monologue, but rather reminiscing about things in the last moments of YGGDRASSIL, almost like a "life flashing before one's eyes when dying"-scene. I think that was beautifully and more importantly subtly done, as you can feel from his melancholic tone and the BGM that he is not only sad but actually feels like dying half a death due to the servers closing - that's how dear the whole guild is to him and he didn't even have to "tell" us that.

Other than that we learn any other infodump related to the New World alongside the characters involved like when Ainz learns various things about the new world from the village chief in Carne village in season 1 episode 3. He is learning "with us" - it's not just exposition for us, but the characters in the story listen to an explanation of other characters.

It's also something that the series only needs to do very early on, as later it is only used if either get a new perspective from a new character altogether, or a new area of the world is introduced not only to us, but to the character we are watching as well - and also in cases of (properly foreshadowed) plot twists, like what happened in season 3 episode 11.

And what the hell is a "forced" monologue? What's the difference between a "forced" monologue and a "not forced" monologue? You sound as if you have never in your live read a story that's written in first-person-perspective. It sound completely like something normal to me. Isn't this just your subjective personal preference?

I already explained above that the "character shilling" is a farce. To add to that, I'd like to point out that it's a similar case as Mr. Satan from Dragon Ball, just in regards to intelligence rather than strength. The Nazarick people misunderstand him as an absolutely perfect and flawless being, but it's just that: a misunderstanding. It's more of a comedy routine but this is only shown in a faily subtle manner in the beginning that's easy to miss, but it becomes very obvious later on.

Overlord is often subtle with its instances of "show", but anyone can always easily tell what the "tell" is. It doesn't mean the "show" part doesn't exist just because you didn't pay attention to the on-goings.

See? This is one of the instances where something was ONLY shown and never told.

Another thing in season 2 is the "Albion Sheep" that Demi-Urge talks about. Well turns out that it is actually refering to humans and not sheep, but he does strongly imply it in his strongly ironic way of speaking, but the anime never "tells" you either.

These are just a few. I'd be here all night typing if I gave you all the examples of "show don't tell" that happened but people who are not actually seriously watching it, won't notice. Well if one never expects such depth from Overlord in the first place, then it's no wonder why one would miss the truth behind such subtle scenes.

There's hardly anything for me to say that you have not already eloquently put. Frankly I praise your patience when dealing with such an obvious troll with an agenda who made an account SOLELY to bash Overlord. Just like a couple of other Instances that have been banned in the recent past. I wonder could this be the same person who just doesn't know when to quit?
Sep 24, 2018 6:02 PM

Oct 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Grey-Zone said:

There's hardly anything for me to say that you have not already eloquently put. Frankly I praise your patience when dealing with such an obvious troll with an agenda who made an account SOLELY to bash Overlord. Just like a couple of other Instances that have been banned in the recent past. I wonder could this be the same person who just doesn't know when to quit?

I guess you are right. It's good training for writing essays though. The patience part I mean.
Sep 24, 2018 7:34 PM
Sep 2018
Grey-Zone said:
Darklight0303 said:

I guess you are right. It's good training for writing essays though. The patience part I mean.

Well good for you.

TL;DR
if he looks like a sociopathic genocidal moron, if he talks like sociopathic genocidal moron, if he lies, extorts, kills, robs, kidnaps, enslave, torture like a sociopathic genocidal moron.
I’m certainly going to assume that Ainz is a sociopathic genocidal moron
Sep 25, 2018 11:13 PM
Sep 2018
IamNET said:

Just because the title is overlord doesn't mean it is overrated. It is now considered as one of the best Gaming anime with a proper plot. Probably better than that of Shitty SAO.
Sep 25, 2018 11:32 PM
Sep 2018
Ventus_S said:
Log Horizon and Overlord are 2 of the most over-rated/ overhyped series I've seen so far.

Huge exposition dump, bad pacing, terrible plot transitioning (Hey, we're doing a raid, gonna spend 2 episodes exposition dump about the other characters and ignore the whole raid thing in the mean time), meh plot, mediocre animation, huge character dumps (hey, gonna introduce 30 random characters in two episodes, and we're going to care about them immediately), tell instead of show, and so many other problems.

I am sure the novel could be good with this style of writing, but it really doesn't transit well into an anime, and requires a way different approach like they did in No Game No Life.

People give it a pass cuz it's MMO setting = most relatable topic to them.

Everyone has different tastes.
Just because it is Overlord, it doesn't mean to be called as overhyped or overrated.

It is not only about action but the proper story plot as how the MC tries to be in gaming world so as to find a way to get out from the game although there are some important characters with their own story plots developed in such a way so as to understand their character.

Anime adaptation might not be at the mark but the LN is worth to read.

It has far better story than shit SAO.

I am planning to watch Log horizon after that.
Sep 26, 2018 8:57 PM
Aug 2011
Hellitself said:
Red_Ryu12345 said:
I gave Overlord a 9/10 and the current season an 8/10 because it knows exactly what it is and goes all out on it. It's a blatant power fantasy with a character who has a unique design given he isn't a pretty boy like Kirito but instead a handsome skeleton whom his #2 in command has a body pillow of.

Season 2 is world building a lot but that is fine, the lizard men stuff is still very entertaining.

How does being blatantly aware it's a shitty power fantasy make it less bad? It knows it's bad and doesn't try to be anything better.

Nothing is inheritly wrong with being a power fantasy, it’s only bad when it feel unlikeable or uninteresting.

I find this series to be very interesting. The worst part of Overlord is the almost berserk levels of CGI at times.
Jun 28, 2019 4:33 PM

Aug 2017
MC just one-shots enemies then sit on his throne. Rinse and repeat. Plus everyone is an NPC so he's talking to himself.
Jun 28, 2019 4:41 PM

Jun 2016
bullshit Overlord is not overrated. Series such as Sword art online and Tenssei slime datta ken is overrated. Re zero as well even though I like it.

Jun 28, 2019 5:06 PM

Aug 2018
What you say is true , plot is simple but that is what I love about Overlord , it's just relaxing to watch it

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Jun 28, 2019 6:15 PM

Dec 2009
Isekai anime as a genre is overrated! So Overlord is too then? I guess

I havent seen of much of this anime so I cant comment on it yet
JaemaeJun 29, 2019 7:46 AM
Jan 3, 2020 6:30 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
No, it's underrated, Overlord must be recognized as the masterpiece it is
Jan 3, 2020 6:39 PM

Sep 2018
I liked it though I do understand some parts of the anime dragged on a bit. The score really depends on the season for this anime. I do not think 8.01 is that much higher than what I would give it for the 1st season.
Feb 21, 2020 8:46 AM

Apr 2014
Somali_Strawhat said:
Grey-Zone said:
No, because for some reason any isekai series is taken to some super high standard just because it's isekai. A series like Overlord which already started in 2015 is actually still better off.

Any isekai anime adaptation from 2017 on seems to have it even worse because like 99% of the evaluation is the setting and almost every other aspect is being ignored for some reason. They get dismissed for having "the same start", yet other genres, be it the usual shounen series or any "regular" fantasy series, is for some reason allowed to get away with "being the same as everything else" for some reason.

So no, I don't think Overlord is overrated. On the contrary I think it's underrated just because it's isekai, though not as much as newer isekai series.

I don't understand the comparison between isekai and the different genres you mentioned. Isekai in and of itself isnt bad and if public perception towards a series is negative just out of a dislike for the genre its being told in thats the result of their bias.

On the other hand, I don't think Overlord is underrated. I don't even think its even an isekai on a structural level.

Most isekai stories are fish out of water stories. All fish out of water stories follow the hero's journey. The MC goes to the world of stories, is out of his element, but learns something of value after struggling for it, and returns to the world of no stories a changed person.

Overlord's MC has no pre story world establishment. Other than the fact Momonga says he's a salaryman and has no friends since they left the game for their own lives, who is this person? Why is he so anti social in IRL? How does he choose to behave at work? Why does he believe this to be the best way to live his life?

The anime begins with a establishing scene of Momonga in the game world after a bit of exposition. Why? Besides the menu graphics, isnt the game world practically the new world? Am I supposed to find it surprising in a show about a mmo, the MC is actually playing one? Why didnt they start with him at work, where he's antisocial and everyone notices. That way it would make sense for him to run to escapism.

Also the emotion supressor is ridiculous. Why put in a mechanism that robs a character of any responsibility behind his decision making? In season 1 we see Momonga decide to ignore saving a village since he's become desensitized to violence, and he only does save the village because Sebas reminded him of a time he was saved by Sebas's creator/Momonga's friend. But wasn't he just saved in the game? How is that the same thing?

Is he a Tsundere overlord? "I'm going to save you...but not because I want to or anything!"

Because I have no idea of who the MC was before the story started I can't understand his thought process/empathize with him. And because the series uses misunderstandings and magical humanity removers, it tries to play Momonga off as a victim of circumstance. But it backfires into feeling like such a copout for garnering sympathy.

Question: If all the denizens of Nazerick are unquestionably loyal to Momonga, why doesn't Momonga clearly assert what he wants? What threat do they pose to him? His worshippers are programmed to obey right? Even Demiurgus is unable to deny Momonga's wishes right?

And am I supposed to really believe for a second that this character had no idea he was taking over the world? Am I supposed to find it funny that it takes him 3 seasons to find out?

Overlord has an 8/10 for effectively being an all over the place version of Tanya the Evil. Except Tanya's goals, flaws and personality are so well charecterized in just 2 episodes. I don't agree with Tanya, but I can understand her thought process completely since I've seen her establish her character in her old job. There's a dramatic change from the world where stories don't happen, and the isekai story world.

Overlord is overrated, and I don't get the appeal at all. Not because its an isekai since it fails at being one. And not because of it being a power fantasy considering Momonga is just peer pressured into world domination and we know he's not fucking anyone from his harem now that he's been turned into a eunuch.

I think the series setting and world building are phenomenal, and the secondary cast are characterized in a way that I can empathize easily with them. But Overlord (the anime) is a 4/10 for me. Its such a copout if a narrative, and I'm 3 seasons in and I still have no idea why out of all the players was Momonga the only one teleported. The mystery isn't even addresssed after season 1.

Ainz wasn't the only person sent. There's at least one other person.

GPU said:
MC just one-shots enemies then sit on his throne. Rinse and repeat. Plus everyone is an NPC so he's talking to himself.

1. That's hilariously incorrect.

2. Those "NPC's" are real now.

Feb 21, 2020 10:08 AM

Aug 2016
Dragonage2ftw said:

Ok, at least one other person. Whoop di doo. Glad that was the one takeaway you got. I'm sure Momonga wasn't the only person in a game that popular that was willing to stay til the end. So why was the transportation seemingly so selective?

Like I stated earlier, I would like Overlord more as a table top rpg than an actual story, and considering Maruyama's love of TRPGs I'm surprised he hasn't already started working on one. The setting is rich, and there are numerous conflicting factions.

Nazerick and Momonga just don't do it for me.
Feb 26, 2020 9:08 AM

Apr 2014
Somali_Strawhat said:
Dragonage2ftw said:

Ok, at least one other person. Whoop di doo. Glad that was the one takeaway you got. I'm sure Momonga wasn't the only person in a game that popular that was willing to stay til the end. So why was the transportation seemingly so selective?

We're not there in the story yet.

Feb 26, 2020 3:35 PM

Jul 2009
Well, it's one of my favorites of all time, so I guess in that sense I find it 'underrated.' 8.03 isn't that high of a score by MAL standards anyway. It's certainly really popular, probably for the same reasons I love it:

1) Protagonists are villains- which you very rarely see.

2) Protagonist are non-human- which you rarely see. At the very least, significantly less often than human protagonists.

3) Protagonists are ridiculously OP-

You see this less often than the alternative, which is 'fight someone who is conveniently just a tiny bit stronger than you in a progressive, linear manner until you fight the final villain'

The main problem with that form or storytelling however is that the reality is there is no tension whatsoever, contrary to what it wants to portray. Take something like MHA or Naruto for example. No matter how many times they put the protagonist in 'danger,' you have to be a naive moron to believe they are ever in any real danger. It's not like they're going to kill off Deku halfway through the series, so why should I ever give a shit when he fights a super-strong foe and is put in a life-or-death (*laughs*) situation? It is incredibly insulting to the viewer's intelligence.

Of course the same is true of OP stories. However, the major difference is the story never tries to delude the reader into believing the protagonist is in danger. It knows that the viewer knows who is going to win, and it never pretends otherwise. Unlike the former.

Then you combine this Overpowered element to the 'villain protagonist' element. How many series have done both of those in tandem? I cannot think of any.

4) The world building is solid.

This is more true of the light novels than the anime. But it has a huge cast of characters doing it's own thing- players from the past who influenced the world, dragons, underground organizations, heroes, nobles, kings and emperors, a variety of races...

Seeing all of them interact with each other and the OP villains of the story causing influence with their power is interesting. It shows the world is alive and active and that the characters are thinking for themselves.
May 7, 2020 8:22 PM
May 2020
Seems to be just another mmo-rpg anime where the main guy is just op. Irl he is a human but in the game or world he was taken into he is undead w/o any feeling of humanity it seems. He recognizes this but still kill and tortures innocent people imo, the writer must be heartless trash to make a character such as this who is human essentially but is inhumane a lot of the time just to better himself, to look better in the eyes of those who serve him. I wonder what his 41 guildmates would think if they saw what he had become. There are better ways to rule, show mercy to those who deserve it, and you gain allies that will be grateful, faithful, and will not turn on you. Sure , some deserved it, Clementine for example, who delighted in killing his comrades at the time. But the team Foresight he murdered in Nazarick, there was no reason to kill them. Omg , you trespass and you all die, Trash move. They were no threat, seems no1 in this anime can be. But being the trash he is, he murders them. Unless they are of use they die, so what does that tell you about the person he is irl, that person is probably trash. Just because he has become undead, wether its a game or another world, does not excuse killing innocents, esp if he is essentially human. So we have another anime w a trash main char and a crap plot. Btw, love the quote" greater love hath no man this this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" Everyone should know where that comes from. As usual this quote is used when it is convenient, to make himself look good. But study further to see how you should act. Definitely not like this trash.
Fyrstknight778May 7, 2020 8:50 PM
May 15, 2020 5:05 PM
Mar 2020
-Lofn- said:
Milk_is_Special said:
It is overrated but who cares, as long as it doesn't hurt you physically no one cares.
But what happens when some anime mentally damage me :^)

Lmfaooooooooo 😂😭😭
May 17, 2020 6:09 AM

May 2020
Guess I found this Overlord and trying to enjoy it right now
May 17, 2020 6:10 AM

May 2020
CCG05 said:
-Lofn- said:
But what happens when some anime mentally damage me :^)

Lmfaooooooooo 😂😭😭

One of anime I watch make me stressed out for a week
May 31, 2020 8:18 PM

Mar 2018
well, i personally enjoy this series myself, i mean its true this was just stereotypical Isekai Fantasy Anime with Overpoweref MC. but the show off did well done. and each character have some development. and the MC also have his own character. not like that trashy isekai smartphone. and also there's some world building.

» Snowflake - Shihoko Hirata «
0:51 ─〇───── 4:54 ⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹  ↻

Traveler, Please enjoy your stay

Jun 7, 2020 1:12 PM
Jan 2019
I don't think it's overrated
(┛✧Д✧))┛彡┻━┻
Jun 7, 2020 2:33 PM

Mar 2020
Nahhh! The mc is unique, the plot is different from the usual "oh I am in a fantasy world gotta go back" but he never returns anyway most of the time! The protagonist being the villain is rare nowadays so thats a plus
Aug 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Apr 2014
Fyrstknight778 said:
Seems to be just another mmo-rpg anime where the main guy is just op. Irl he is a human but in the game or world he was taken into he is undead w/o any feeling of humanity it seems. He recognizes this but still kill and tortures innocent people imo, the writer must be heartless trash to make a character such as this who is human essentially but is inhumane a lot of the time just to better himself, to look better in the eyes of those who serve him. I wonder what his 41 guildmates would think if they saw what he had become. There are better ways to rule, show mercy to those who deserve it, and you gain allies that will be grateful, faithful, and will not turn on you. Sure , some deserved it, Clementine for example, who delighted in killing his comrades at the time. But the team Foresight he murdered in Nazarick, there was no reason to kill them. Omg , you trespass and you all die, Trash move. They were no threat, seems no1 in this anime can be. But being the trash he is, he murders them. Unless they are of use they die, so what does that tell you about the person he is irl, that person is probably trash. Just because he has become undead, wether its a game or another world, does not excuse killing innocents, esp if he is essentially human. So we have another anime w a trash main char and a crap plot. Btw, love the quote" greater love hath no man this this, that a man lay down his life for his friends" Everyone should know where that comes from. As usual this quote is used when it is convenient, to make himself look good. But study further to see how you should act. Definitely not like this trash.

Ainz has always treated anyone who’s not useful like garbage.

He’s not a good person.

Aug 25, 2020 9:12 PM

Apr 2014
Fyrstknight778 said:

Ainz has always treated anyone who’s not useful like garbage.

He’s not a good person.

Sep 9, 2020 6:12 AM

Apr 2015
I can't understand why so many people call Momonga a "villain"."This show is gud cuz mc is a badguy this is sooo dufferent" Did everyone forget that this "badass" guy is actually a loser shy virgin nerd???
Sep 9, 2020 7:05 AM

Jun 2020
Only watched 3 seasons for Albedo. Will watch any future seasons for the aforementioned reason. Albedo is my goddess.
This anime shit is addictive
Sep 20, 2020 7:44 AM

Jul 2016
Cool post bro. And?
Sep 25, 2020 5:22 AM
Jul 2019
Hey hey, why did the rating go down? I dont think this series is bad but why the rating is 7.99?
Apr 17, 2021 8:39 PM
Jan 2021
Aztura said:
Hey hey, why did the rating go down? I dont think this series is bad but why the rating is 7.99?
7.99 isn't so bad, to be honest this show deserves rating around 7.2-7.5
Sep 11, 2021 2:11 AM
Sep 2021
The main thing I got from this is "Any and all argument made against overlord is always defeated by a wall of text made in overlord's favor"

I don't personally have anything against overlord. But the thing with Arche has a very bad taste in my mouth.

And the people that say Ainz is "Pragmatic" and "Calculating" (Two characters Come into mind)

and that doesn't appeal to most masses, but people praise a certain other sociopath mass murderer in the form of Light Yagami. The biggest difference is that Light doesn't try to play the Victim card, his goal is to rid the world of criminals due to his skewed and definitely strong sense of justice, but the Anime/Manga show that he only ever DOES this is out of boredom, he's not a good person, he has a god complex and the show/manga doubles down on it.
Another example of what I'd call an Innocent monster is with Lelouch Vi Brittania, his goal is selfish, but affects the world around him, he wants to make a peaceful world for his crippled little sister, and the best way to go about it is through toppling his father and forcing the world's on him. He is pragmatic in the sense that if a better way to get this peace shows itself, he takes it.
I.e when he agreed to what Euphemia was offering.

This is another difference between Ainz and Lelouch is empathy, Lelouch is horrified at the things he has done, he hates himself for his geass going out of control and the death of Euphemia and all those innocent lives. He hates that Shirley had to die for his sake, he HATES that he can't just sit down and have tea with his little sister, he considers taking a drug that takes you back to the good old days and people can relate to how vulnerable he is...yet when push comes to shove, Lelouch double downs on this, the world sees him as a villain, and that's what he is. When he is confronted by Suzaku about Euphie's death he doesn't tell him the truth, that his Geass went out of control, he says he did it to motivate the black knights.
When the black knights confront him about this, he doesn't defend himself, he says "yeah so what?"

When Nunnally confronts him about all the deeds he's done, he's visibly shaken but doesn't let his facade drop he says no, he didn't do all this for her.

So when Nunnally,Kallen and Suzaku eventually gets the truth... It hurts. Especially for Nunnally who gets to listen to people chant for the death of her brother who had nothing but good intentions.

That's the biggest thing that seperates Ainz as a character from these two, Light sticks to being the Sociopathic murderer persona. And Lelouch SHOWS us the struggle of putting on a mask of a Villain, with Ainz we are just TOLD these things. Atleast as far as the anime is concerned, I hear the LN handles this far better.

Those are just my two cents.
Mar 16, 2022 1:18 PM

Mar 2018
So far i have watched 6 eps haven't enjoyed that much except Albedo ofc, and i don't like the MC character design it could been cool if he was a human, it's okayish kinda Boring too but not too bad so ig it's watchable and about overrated idk if i should put it in overrated or not but ya can be called overrated for me ofc.
Mar 25, 2022 8:36 PM
Jun 2021
You said this show overrated? Prepare to die....
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

239 by RayousSR »»
Yesterday, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

431 by C0ST4 »»
Mar 29, 7:51 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.