Forum Settings
Forums

In your opinion, what are the differences between regular anime/manga fans and the otaku?

New
Jan 21, 2018 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
Plz share your thoughts, thanks in advance.
Otaku (おたく/オタク) is a Japanese term for people with obsessive interests, commonly the anime and manga fandom. Its contemporary usage originated with Akio Nakamori's 1983 essay in Manga Burikko. Otaku may be used as a pejorative; its negativity stems from the stereotypical view of otaku and the media's reporting on Tsutomu Miyazaki, "The Otaku Murderer", in 1989. According to studies published in 2013, the term has become less negative, and an increasing number of people now self-identify as otaku.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 21, 2018 7:49 PM

May 2009
Depends on what you mean by "otaku".

If by "otaku" you specifically mean Japanese people who are unreasonably obsessed with anime/manga, then I don't know any of them.

If by "otaku" you mean just anyone who's unreasonably obsessed with anime/manga, then I guess the difference is that they're unreasonably obsessed, which means that they often try to gratuitously introduce their hobby interest in places where it doesn't fit, socially.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 21, 2018 8:10 PM

Nov 2016
I think Otaku is about the idea of possession and a desire to know more about or be a part of whatever the media being fixated on is. In the case of anime this can translate to making cosplay, writing fanfics, learning all the information on the show and collecting waifus.

I wouldnt say that collecting merch dvds etc alone makes you an otaku though its the differentiation between "thats a poster of a hot girl from an anime I like" and "thats my waifu from my favorite anime" One is appreciation the other is possession?
“we all live with the objective of being happy, our lives are all different and yet the same.”
Jan 24, 2018 6:49 PM

Jan 2018
the regular ones likes mainstream anime with action fantasy and romance i guess when otakus will like more experimental shows such as Mononoke or Tatami Galaxy? or maybe i'm mistaking otakus and elitists here
Jan 24, 2018 6:53 PM
Jul 2018
The level of obsession of the medium
Jan 24, 2018 9:51 PM

Feb 2017
im obsessed with manga,like i read manga every fking day at least for 1-2 hrs if that makes me an otaku then i am one.

Jan 24, 2018 9:57 PM
Dec 2017
All i know is that anyone who calls him/herself an otaku makes me cringe
Jan 24, 2018 9:58 PM

Apr 2016
That they are just some random weabs.
Jan 24, 2018 10:15 PM

Nov 2015
Rinkx said:
the regular ones likes mainstream anime with action fantasy and romance i guess when otakus will like more experimental shows such as Mononoke or Tatami Galaxy? or maybe i'm mistaking otakus and elitists here

I wouldn't say so. I never saw anyone who liked less known (than Mirai Nikkis, SAOs and stuff) anime and willingly called themselves "otaku". I think that most of the begginers, younger people and "casuals" (btw this term is stupid) do that, which is perfectly fine I quess. People like to identify with some groups. It's the same as calling yourself gamer or bookworm. It's just that these terms feel kinda, eh, cringy, at least to me. I'd rather just say that I like these weird chinese cartoons (and games and books).
Jan 24, 2018 10:40 PM

Jul 2016
An Otaku is someone who is not necessarily ashamed of the culture surrounding anime and manga. A fan of anime and manga would want to distance themselves from the certain aspects of the culture.

An Otaku would say

- Hentai is cool and I enjoy fanservice.

- I am a fan of moe and cute things and I'm not ashamed.

- An otaku would understand the desire to shut themselves in sometimes.

- An otaku would just generally understand the appeal of anime tropes and recognize when they are being subverted. For example, One Punch Man subverts shonen battles because instead of long drawn out fights they always end in ONE PUNCH!

An otaku could also be neutral on some of these things. We are all complicated human beings and otaku shouldn't be our whole identity.

Most people on this site would admit that a lot of the negative connotations surrounding the word otaku apply to them in some way.

Anime/Manga fan would say.

- I'm a fan of some anime and manga but it's a shame that so much of it is sexual.

- I'm too "manly" to appreciate a cute aesthetic.

- I'm not one of those weird anime fans.

- The shows they do enjoy would be because "they're not like other anime".
Jan 24, 2018 10:49 PM
Jul 2018
“otaku” is often considered to be an insult
even in the West now
Jan 24, 2018 10:52 PM

Aug 2015
anime/manga fans are pretty self explanatory. otaku is like over-obsessed 'you actually have a problem' kinda thing.
Jan 25, 2018 12:56 AM
Jul 2018
In recent years, calling yourself an otaku is a sure way to signify to others that you are still a newb to the medium, that or you are cancer.

Regulars are just casuals most of the time, and watch trendy modern crap.
Jan 25, 2018 3:23 AM

Nov 2009
DiamondKing66 said:
In recent years, calling yourself an otaku is a sure way to signify to others that you are still a newb to the medium, that or you are cancer.

Regulars are just casuals most of the time, and watch trendy modern crap.

So what do you recommend people call themselves if they are definitely not new or casuals? The word "otaku" has a meaning that many people misuse, but it doesn't mean that ever use outside of Japan is a misuse. What is the alternative for people who devote an inordinate amount of time to the medium and feel "fan" is a too much of an understatement?
Jan 25, 2018 3:51 AM

Aug 2017
Otaku means someone who is obsessed with computer or popular culture (in Japan) so in West gamers who are too dedicated can also be called 'otaku', so If someone is obsessed with anime or mangas can also be called 'otakus' and for the regular ones anime and manga can be just their usual entertainment not necessarily obsessed.
Jan 25, 2018 9:06 AM

Apr 2012
A regular anime fan is just someone who likes anime. They mostly watch mainstream shows that are dubbed and available on cable. They might own some manga/blu-rays of their favorite shows.

Otaku are lot more into it. They collect merchandise. Know trivia, quotes, memes and inside jokes related to their favorite shows. Attend conventions and even cosplay.
Jan 25, 2018 9:57 AM
Jul 2018
Regular ones are normies like the ones you sometimes see in real life. Otakus have waifus and prefer 2D girls and such.
Jan 25, 2018 10:01 AM

Feb 2010
otaku buy stuff like manga, dvds, figures, body pillows etc.
Jan 25, 2018 10:19 AM

Apr 2016
Regular anime fan isn't obsessive like a full blown otaku. If you see some otaku from Japan, they are just weird, obsessing over things like idols and such. But otaku is not limited to just anime and manga, it can be anything. Train otaku, military otaku, etc.

I do identify myself as an Otaku, but I'm not exactly 'obsessed' with anime and manga. I love it more than any other form of entertainment though (except gaming).

And about the Otaku Murderer, it was an isolated case. Not everyone is like that.
Jan 26, 2018 12:47 PM

Jul 2017
regular fans are normal human beings who are interested in anime and alike

otaku are hardcore individuals who prefer anime over reality who'd rather spend money on limited edition bikini figures of their waifus than on something productive or meaningful to their irl experience
Jan 26, 2018 12:52 PM

Nov 2008
I think of otaku as the crowd that spends a lot more money on anime goods than the casual fan.

Thinking about how much I've spent on things for the past 17 years makes me shiver a bit. XD

kirakiii said:
All i know is that anyone who calls him/herself an otaku makes me cringe

Why? It's the truth, sometimes. :/ I am one. It would be ridiculous to insist I wasn't.

No, it isn't. -.-

Jan 27, 2018 12:06 AM

Aug 2017
Regular/casual fans find anime entertaining or interesting.

"Otaku" are fucking annoying, generally blend English with bad Japanese and obsessive with their mother country Japan that they self-identify as of having lineage of, etc etc. Calling an otaku a weeb provides hilarious results.

Its the same type of deal with "normal" fans of something and a "fanbase" of something.
Jan 27, 2018 12:27 AM

Jan 2017
Otakus are more involved into the medium, they go to conventions, cosplay, write fanfics, have youtube chanels and so on.
An anime or/and manga fan enjoys the medium, maybe buy manga or blu-rays or have posters on their walls, but don't get involved into the anime world that seriously. This doesn't depend on how much anime they've watched or how much manga they've read, it depends on their willingness to devote themselves to the medium, and how they can be an active part of the animanga community.
Jan 27, 2018 1:02 PM

Jan 2015
Vurahn said:
Regular/casual fans find anime entertaining or interesting.

"Otaku" are fucking annoying, generally blend English with bad Japanese and obsessive with their mother country Japan that they self-identify as of having lineage of, etc etc. Calling an otaku a weeb provides hilarious results.

Its the same type of deal with "normal" fans of something and a "fanbase" of something.

Yeah, mostly this right here. I've always considered otaku as obsessive with anime to the point of developing an unhealthy obsession with Japan itself. They use Japanese language without even bothering to learn it PROPERLY, and chatter on and on about how wonderful their blessed Japan is. They also tend to be unable to hold any kind of conversation without constantly referencing anime, manga, or its characters. They wear paraphernalia everywhere, and basically create shrines to it in their homes. I've basically known two people like that in my life and they were freaky.
Jan 27, 2018 1:05 PM

Jul 2014
I'd say an otaku is someone who's life is dominated by anime. A normal fan is pretty much just a normal person who likes anime.
Jan 27, 2018 1:13 PM

Nov 2008
Vurahn said:

"Otaku" are fucking annoying, generally blend English with bad Japanese and obsessive with their mother country Japan that they self-identify as of having lineage of, etc etc.

No, you are describing a weeaboo. Not an otaku. :/

Jan 27, 2018 1:19 PM
Oct 2017
I do not understand why we (otakus) can be used as a liability someone can explain that to me. Just because of the Otaku killers or what?
Jan 27, 2018 1:19 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:

If by "otaku" you specifically mean Japanese people who are unreasonably obsessed with anime/manga, then I don't know any of them.

If by "otaku" you mean just anyone who's unreasonably obsessed with anime/manga, then I guess the difference is that they're unreasonably obsessed, which means that they often try to gratuitously introduce their hobby interest in places where it doesn't fit, socially.

yay.. another self loathing anime fan who believes in bowing down to social norms for fear of "cringe"

please give an example of " gratuitously introducing their hobby interest in places where it doesn't fit, socially."

or is someone just jealous that some other people actually have the balls to be openly honest?
Jan 27, 2018 1:32 PM

Nov 2008
EcchiKingMamster said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

yay.. another self loathing anime fan who believes in bowing down to social norms for fear of "cringe"

please give an example of " gratuitously introducing their hobby interest in places where it doesn't fit, socially."

or is someone just jealous that some other people actually have the balls to be openly honest?

*sighs*

See, I personally believe you can be an otaku AND be smart about it.

It's like when I go for a job interview and I decide to take a plain black purse instead of my shoujo manga one because the latter makes me look less professional.

It's not about feeling less obsessed about the thing; it's just knowing the right times to show that obsession.

Jan 27, 2018 1:43 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
If you're on this forum you're probably most definitely a fucking weeb.
Jan 27, 2018 1:48 PM

Nov 2008
Stripes said:

No, I DO NOT think Japan is superior in every way and I wouldn't dare think of naming my children after anime characters. =_=

............that's what weebs do.

Jan 27, 2018 1:51 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Chiibi said:
Stripes said:

No, I DO NOT think Japan is superior in every way and I wouldn't dare think of naming my children after anime characters. =_=

That an extreme way of looking at it I guess.
Jan 27, 2018 1:56 PM

Nov 2008
Stripes said:
Chiibi said:

No, that is accurate. A weeb is a Japanophile, not an anime fan.

Jan 27, 2018 2:00 PM

Aug 2012
I find it difficult sometimes to truly distinguish the difference between a "weeb" and "otaku". There are no such thing as a weeb in japan, but the term Otaku is thrown around quite a lot there.

I'd say anyone that collect a substential amount of anime merch is considered a otaku. Someone that invest in the medium. On that definition, I would consider myself a "okatu" given that I've collected quite a lot of manga, even a few figures.

Then again, the definition is pretty subjective. How people differentiate weebs and otakus is over my head. Both terms are cringe to be associated with.

I don't know if a particular taste within the medium is a deciding factor, which some try to point at.
Jan 27, 2018 2:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Chiibi said:
EcchiKingMamster said:

*sighs*

See, I personally believe you can be an otaku AND be smart about it.

It's like when I go for a job interview and I decide to take a plain black purse instead of my shoujo manga one because the latter makes me look less professional.

It's not about feeling less obsessed about the thing; it's just knowing the right times to show that obsession.

@GlennMagusHarvey is basically creating a scenario which probably never happens

whotf is doing this?

where are the examples?

why do anime fans insist on bashing eachother then claim is its because "anime haters"??? or because it "makes anime fans look bad"?

the only "anime haters" are other anime fans and the only people who truly give a shit about the appearance of anime fans are other anime fans

its not the end of the world if someone is obsessed with something, its just human nature and something such as being a weaboo or otaku is ultimately harmless
Jan 27, 2018 2:08 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Chiibi said:
Stripes said:

Also your opinion. I think someone can admire the media Japan puts out and their culture in the same vein. You're just putting it on steroids and calling saying it's "weaboo" nature because shaming the anime fandom is hilarious in every way.

In fact it's more of a damn meme at this point then a label anyways.
Jan 27, 2018 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
Monster said:
How people differentiate weebs and otakus is over my head.

Pfffft come on, it's so EASY!!!

Weeaboos

*normally between the ages of 10 and 17
*dress up as characters even when it's inappropriate
*are incapable of talking about other things
*Try to imitate the Japanese language but mess it up badly because they have no f*cking clue how it works.

Otaku

*normally adults
*are actually knowledgeable in their obsessions
*spend alarming amounts on anime goods
*cosplay but only when it's appropriate to do so
*If they know Japanese, they use it correctly.

Both terms are cringe to be associated with.

Otaku isn't. It used to be in Japan but even that has lost most of its negative meaning.

And using "cringe" as an adjective is no less stupid. >_>

Jan 27, 2018 2:10 PM

Nov 2008
Stripes said:
Chiibi said:

Also your opinion.

THAT'S NOT MY "OPINION." That is common knowledge. GOOGLE IT.

Jan 27, 2018 2:12 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Chiibi said:
Stripes said:

Also your opinion.

Google is a meme generator

Chill the fuck out.
Jan 27, 2018 2:14 PM

Nov 2008
Stripes said:
Chiibi said:

Google is a meme generator

Chill the fuck out.

Well, what you said was pretty stupid and inaccurate. Of course I'm going to get annoyed.

Jan 27, 2018 2:31 PM

Aug 2012
Chiibi said:

Both terms are cringe to be associated with.

Otaku isn't. It used to be in Japan but even that has lost most of its negative meaning.

And using "cringe" as an adjective is no less stupid. >_>

Regular people look at each as the same. People that identify themselves as "otaku" could be looked upon as weeb with the modern definition of the word, hence why it can be difficult not to just throw both terms in the same bowl.

Haha, I guess. It was the terminology that came to me as most fitting.
Jan 27, 2018 2:36 PM

Nov 2008
Monster said:

Regular people look at each as the same.

That is because they are freaking ignorant. =3= They are not the same at all.

Jan 27, 2018 2:43 PM

May 2009
EcchiKingMamster said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

> please give an example of "gratuitously introducing their hobby interest in places where it doesn't fit, socially"

If we're all native English speakers talking about something that has nothing to do with anime, manga, or Japan in general, I don't expect to have to translate Japanese or think through Japanese honorifics just because someone thinks it's cool. On the other hand, it will be noticeably weird for someone to speak Japanese catchphrases and idioms in such a situation.

This has nothing to do with "being openly honest". It's entirely possible to sport a Miku Hatsune messenger bag and wear an Attack on Titan t-shirt while not using gratuitous Japanese.

So yeah, that's an example.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure why you're labeling me as a "self loathing anime fan who believes in bowing down to social norms for fear of "cringe" ". I enjoy my hobby and I'm not afraid to tell people about it, as long as it makes sense in the situation. I don't have to force it onto other people.

Also, I'm probably one of the few people who doesn't cringe at much. You can show me all sorts of stupid shit on the internet and I'm like whatever.
Jan 27, 2018 2:46 PM

Feb 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:

> please give an example of "gratuitously introducing their hobby interest in places where it doesn't fit, socially"

If we're all native English speakers talking about something that has nothing to do with anime, manga, or Japan in general, I don't expect to have to translate Japanese or think through Japanese honorifics just because someone thinks it's cool. On the other hand, it will be noticeably weird for someone to speak Japanese catchphrases and idioms in such a situation.

This has nothing to do with "being openly honest". It's entirely possible to sport a Miku Hatsune messenger bag and wear an Attack on Titan t-shirt while not using gratuitous Japanese.

The thing is that no one does that and you're using a strawman.

@OP

There's no difference
Jan 27, 2018 2:50 PM

May 2009
thewiru said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

The thing is that no one does that and you're using a strawman.
You haven't met some of my friends, obviously. A few friends who do this are even meatspace friends.

Gratuitous Japanese isn't the only thing; there's also stuff like doing sentai poses and such.

Fortunately, at least one of them does know how to dial it down when it's serious time. The others I just don't hang out with much because I don't like them as much.

The online ones who do this, I don't know them as well but there are a handful who will just throw Japanese honorifics into a conversation for no relevant reason. I don't know if they have an off switch for that since I don't know them well enough.
Jan 27, 2018 2:52 PM

Nov 2011
shameless pirate: pirates all their anime and manga, and complains when a pirate site goes down.

regular anime fan: may pirate some of their anime and manga, but also buys anime merchandise of their favorite series. they try to support the anime industry whenever they can.

otaku master-race: have at least 2 bookshelves full of anime and manga merchandise, a few anime posters, several nendroids and at least one body pillow. never skips an anime convention.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 27, 2018 2:53 PM

Feb 2014
@GlennMagusHarvey

When i say "no one" i mean "A number so low is it's irrelevant of people"
Jan 27, 2018 2:54 PM

May 2009
DreamingBeats said:
shameless pirate: pirates all their anime and manga, and complains when a pirate site goes down.

regular anime fan: may pirate some of their anime and manga, but also buys anime merchandise of their favorite series. they try to support the anime industry whenever they can.

otaku master-race: have at least 2 bookshelves full of anime and manga merchandise, a few anime posters, several nendroids and at least one body pillow. never skips an anime convention.
Y'know this sorta makes me wonder how sustainable our hobby is.

Just, like, in terms of the time and money some of us invest in it. What's the long term prospect of where we're going with this?
Jan 27, 2018 2:58 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:

im calling bullshit that this even happens to you and even if it does, theres no way its happening so often that it should be considered an issue

regardless, maybe some people are just really into japanese, therefore they'll do that, so fucking what? why does it matter?

are they doing this towards people who don't even know what theyre talking about or something? to people who don't even watch anime?

is freedom of expression not important?

and i called you a self loathing fan because you're giving off the "im embarrassed to be part of this community" vibe

EcchiGodMamsterJan 27, 2018 3:03 PM
Jan 27, 2018 3:02 PM

Nov 2008
DreamingBeats said:

*raises hand, imitates S:G's dubbed Okabe line: "GUILTY~!!!" XD

What's the long term prospect of where we're going with this?

never thought about it. :'D

Let me think about it......

* Eh, I really love to re-read and rewatch my favorite titles over again.
* I have friends who borrow those titles as well.

*I use the anime figures as reference in drawing and other art-related projects.

*The pillow is just another pillow. Good to lean against. It's not like I molest it. XD

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Yesterday

22 by Theo1899 »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 minutes ago

1 by deg »»
4 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 4 hours ago

19 by Zakception »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 2 hours ago

8 by Theo1899 »»
8 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

164 by JaniSIr »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.