Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 20, 2018 10:29 PM

Sep 2009

Hello and welcome to the third Critics & Connoisseurs Awards!

In this annual event, the members of Critics & Connoisseurs have discussed about and voted for what they consider the highlights of 2017. These are the results.

This year we got there faster than the Crunchyroll Awards, so at this point we can only make the safe assumption that our awards are infinitely better than theirs.

Discussion Thread

ANIME OF THE YEAR

BEST STORY

BEST CAST

BEST PROTAGONIST

BEST ANTAGONIST

BEST SUPPORTING CHARACTER

BEST VISUALS

BEST OP

BEST ED

BEST OST

BEST DIRECTOR

BEST PERFORMANCE

BIGGEST PLEASANT SURPRISE

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

WORST ANIME OF THE YEAR
LindleOct 12, 2018 5:00 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 20, 2018 10:51 PM

Oct 2015
nigga how tf did guruguru not even get runner up for pleasant surprise, who the fck
also too many rakugo tbh
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jan 20, 2018 10:52 PM

Sep 2009
Scarlett_ryuken said:
nigga how tf did guruguru not even get runner up for pleasant surprise, who the fck
also too many rakugo tbh

I'm more surprised by the general lack of Houseki.
Jan 20, 2018 10:53 PM

Jun 2016
Seems legit.

Jan 20, 2018 10:56 PM

Sep 2009
Also, You'll Cowards Don't Even Watch Natsume.

Easy pick for AOTY. Not surprised, but still disappointed in all of you.
Jan 20, 2018 11:01 PM

Mar 2010
I mildly approve of some results.
Jan 21, 2018 12:06 AM

Apr 2008
I liked last year more

_____________"The Baseball team is here to f~ck you up" - Wakana
Jan 21, 2018 2:49 AM

Mar 2014
lol, I didn't watch any of the winners. xD
Maybe I should?

Oh, also, I was just thinking... maybe for next year we could add "best moment/sequence" and "worst moment/sequence" categories?
Where any moment or sequence of the year is eligible, even if it happened in a long-running series.
Then again, I guess maybe it'd be difficult to get concise votes on such a thing... maybe it could be "best story arc" and "worst story arc" instead.
What do you guys think?
vigorousjammerJan 21, 2018 2:55 AM
::End of Transmission::

Jan 21, 2018 2:54 AM

Oct 2015
even cbf watched more than you whew
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jan 21, 2018 4:40 AM

Apr 2016
Despite how crushed I am by the results of AOTY and Antagonist, at least we got WAOTY and OP right... Altair best villain dammit, fuck You Bondrewd and every other contingency meant to make sure a villain only relevant in the manga doesn't win the anime awards, and fuck the people for chooseing those other contingencies and ESPECIALLY fuck the people who voted for an anime irrelevant villain in the first place, robbing Altair via a catalyst of an unfortunate series of events

Also it feels wrong not giving Rakugo AOTY when t won both best story and best cast.
CodeBlazeFateJan 23, 2018 5:01 PM
Jan 21, 2018 5:17 AM

Nov 2013
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo spam again like last year lol.
You all need to watch Nami.

Jan 21, 2018 5:26 AM

Apr 2016
abystoma2 said:
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo spam again like last year lol.
Except it barely got even 1/3 if the awards (winner or runner-up). Still a lot but still.
Jan 21, 2018 7:45 AM

Aug 2016
Lindle said:

Yeah shame on you guys for having a different taste!

Really happy Guruguru won the award for best cast :D
Jan 21, 2018 7:47 AM

Sep 2009
Effulgence said:
Lindle said:

No no no no no. I'm not shaming everyone for having different taste. I'm shaming everyone for not fucking watching it. Hence the pending Blue N.

Don't you be coming into my house trying to sass me. I know what I'm about.
Jan 21, 2018 7:50 AM

Aug 2016
Lindle said:
Effulgence said:

No no no no no. I'm not shaming everyone for having different taste. I'm shaming everyone for not fucking watching it. Hence the pending Blue N.

It goes hand in hand tho, if mecha genre for example isen't your taste you will most likely not watch mecha anime.
Jan 21, 2018 7:51 AM

Sep 2009
Effulgence said:
Lindle said:

It goes hand in hand tho, if mecha genre isen't your taste you will most likely not watch mecha anime.
That has approximately jack shit to do with it. This club loves to ride Mushishi dick and Natsume's is the next closest thing.

I don't care what your excuse is, I'm upset at you all for not watching it.
Jan 21, 2018 7:58 AM

Aug 2016
Lindle said:
Effulgence said:

It goes hand in hand tho, if mecha genre isen't your taste you will most likely not watch mecha anime.
That has approximately jack shit to do with it. This club loves to ride Mushishi dick and Natsume's is the next closest thing.

How does that have nothing to do with it? You are upset because not many people watched Natsume, reason is quite simple not everyone might be intrested.

I understand that you want people to watch a show you liked tho.
Jan 21, 2018 8:00 AM

Mar 2010
If you don't like Natsume you have a shit taste. It's that simple.
Jan 21, 2018 8:21 AM

Jun 2015
Scarlett_ryuken said:
also too many rakugo tbh
It only needed 1 more vote to tie with those 2 and also win, and some people didn't vote for it because they already expected it to be good. Makes sense for a remake not to be as surprising I guess. If anything I'm astonished by the lack of Houseki in this category, I thought it would take it easily.

And yes, Rakugo got slightly pushed in some categories. It was definitely more relevant in 2016.

vigorousjammer said:
lol, I didn't watch any of the winners. xD
Maybe I should?

Oh, also, I was just thinking... maybe for next year we could add "best moment/sequence" and "worst moment/sequence" categories?
Where any moment or sequence of the year is eligible, even if it happened in a long-running series.
Then again, I guess maybe it'd be difficult to get concise votes on such a thing... maybe it could be "best story arc" and "worst story arc" instead.
What do you guys think?
Yes, probably.
In regard to the suggestion, even with these broader categories there are some that still end very dispersed. That would make the first one very isolated, not only because of people not watching enough but because even the ones with fondness for the same title might differ when it comes to the favorite scene or episode (also, probably spoilers).
The arcs one makes more sense but unless it is a very specific type of series the shift might be vague.
UnowenJan 21, 2018 8:39 AM
Jan 21, 2018 8:30 AM

Jun 2015
You guys are overlooking the possibility of watching Natsume, liking it, and yet not being able to posit your vote for it in any category. Which happened to me and probably a few more.

Also as a 6th season it equates to episodes 61-72 of the franchise, and having +10 Y/N votes for it in the You Decide is also clearly above average considering the amount of votes most +2cours normally receive.
Jan 21, 2018 9:05 AM

Sep 2009
Effulgence said:
Lindle said:

How does that have nothing to do with it? You are upset because not many people watched Natsume, reason is quite simple not everyone might be intrested.

That's a shit reason for shit people.

Lordwen said:
You guys are overlooking the possibility of watching Natsume, liking it, and yet not being able to posit your vote for it in any category. Which happened to me and probably a few more.

Also as a 6th season it equates to episodes 61-72 of the franchise, and having +10 Y/N votes for it in the You Decide is also clearly above average considering the amount of votes most +2cours normally receive.
Well yeah there's that, but proportionate to the number of people who actually watched it (12, based on the You Decide) it had a lot of AOTY votes. It would at least have been a contender if it had a remotely similar viewership to 3-gatsu.
Jan 21, 2018 3:32 PM

Oct 2015
Club doesnt like nice things nuff said
Jan 21, 2018 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
Lindle said:

How was season 6 compared with season 5? Because I dropped Natsume on season 5. SoL anime requires at least good atmosphere and art, season five lacked in the both them and it was simply boring. And I guess that was due to it's change of studio.
NapokJan 21, 2018 5:04 PM
Jan 22, 2018 2:54 AM

Jun 2015
Napok said:
And I guess that was due to it's change of studio.
Studio Shuka was created by former Brain Base's workers, and one of the main persons in the project is Takahiro Omori, director of all Natsume, Baccano, etc. (also one of the more qualified directors currently working in the industry, in my opinion).

So it's not like someone else took over, but rather thanks to that change that we most likely have the chance to see more Natsume in the first place.
Jan 22, 2018 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
Lordwen said:
Napok said:
And I guess that was due to it's change of studio.
Studio Shuka was created by former Brain Base's workers, and one of the main persons in the project is Takahiro Omori, director of all Natsume, Baccano, etc. (also one of the more qualified directors currently working in the industry, in my opinion).

So it's not like someone else took over, but rather thanks to that change that we most likely have the chance to see more Natsume in the first place.

I see. But it doesn't change the fact that art dropped drastically in quality compared with previous seasons. Since it had the same stuff, then maybe it got a less budget. Here's some screen shots that I took before dropping it: https://imgur.com/a/TzMSj
It was also mentioned here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1562114
NapokJan 22, 2018 10:21 AM
Jan 22, 2018 12:12 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
A lot of stuff I have to catch up upon it seems.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 22, 2018 1:06 PM

Sep 2009
@Napok

Okay so first off consensus pretty much is that season 5 is arguably the worst season and that season 6 is arguably the best. While it's been too long since I saw seasons 1-4 (I watched them back when airing) to say for sure, I can definitely say that season 6 is absolutely exceptional and even takes it in new directions no previous season did.

Second, as Wen pointed out the core staff is essentially the same. Admittedly season 5 did have slightly lackluster art compared to seasons 1-4, presumably due to them being a relatively new studio with less resources, but season 6 doesn't seem to suffer from this. Also, come on, the visuals were hardly terrible in season 5 even in spite of a handful of off-model moments. The thing where season 5 was truly lacking was in the stories, and season 6 delivers on that in spades.
Jan 22, 2018 2:13 PM

Oct 2013
Lindle said:
@Napok

Okay so first off consensus pretty much is that season 5 is arguably the worst season and that season 6 is arguably the best. While it's been too long since I saw seasons 1-4 (I watched them back when airing) to say for sure, I can definitely say that season 6 is absolutely exceptional and even takes it in new directions no previous season did.

Second, as Wen pointed out the core staff is essentially the same. Admittedly season 5 did have slightly lackluster art compared to seasons 1-4, presumably due to them being a relatively new studio with less resources, but season 6 doesn't seem to suffer from this. Also, come on, the visuals were hardly terrible in season 5 even in spite of a handful of off-model moments. The thing where season 5 was truly lacking was in the stories, and season 6 delivers on that in spades.
In this case, I should catch up with the latest season then.
Jan 23, 2018 11:26 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty decent results imo.
Jan 23, 2018 12:39 PM
May 2009
Ah, the pleasure that I derive from Ballroom and Handshakers being more relevant in these awards than Natsume s6 is tremendously vindicating.
Jan 23, 2018 1:22 PM

Sep 2009
Eisigerhauch said:
Ah, the pleasure that I derive from Ballroom and Handshakers being more relevant in these awards than Natsume s6 is tremendously vindicating.

>has seen exactly one episode of any Natsume Yuujinchou season

literally what
Jan 23, 2018 2:28 PM
May 2009
Lindle said:
Eisigerhauch said:

>has seen exactly one episode of any Natsume Yuujinchou season

literally what

Well, I have actually seen more Natsume. I enjoy it. It is not about the quality, it is about the conversation surrounding it.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.