Forum Settings
Forums

The cultural and architectonical Downfall of Germany and other Countries

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 24, 2018 12:18 PM

Jan 2009
annmaryjay said:

It doesn't apply with the smaller roads but in Finland the bigger roads and highways are regularly maintained and reconstructed which means they decide a time when they peel off the asphalt in one specific place and then they simultaneously crush the material and reuse it as laying it back on the road. It's efficient and doesn't waste resources.
That's not entirely correct, since having to repair the Roads and Streets wastes Resources that could have been spared if the Roads and Streets had been built with a better Quality and had thus lasted longer. Or if there had been lots of alternative Routes so that not only one Route would have been burdened.

Or sometimes, they simply don't think ahead. A comparably new Bridge over here had to be closed and re-constructed later because it didn't have enough Lanes.
Jan 24, 2018 12:40 PM

Feb 2017
There's some great architecture in my city. It actually didn't get bombed away at all in the second world war. The house I live in is now about 200 y.o. and almost the whole town is like this. And it's really a shame how many beautiful cities are covered with new buildings. I much more prefer the older building types.

But not every moder building is "ugly"

And btw. My town has been the capital of Germany for about two weeks. If you want to guess the town. LoL
Jan 24, 2018 12:40 PM

Jun 2012
Noboru said:
annmaryjay said:

It doesn't apply with the smaller roads but in Finland the bigger roads and highways are regularly maintained and reconstructed which means they decide a time when they peel off the asphalt in one specific place and then they simultaneously crush the material and reuse it as laying it back on the road. It's efficient and doesn't waste resources.
That's not entirely correct, since having to repair the Roads and Streets wastes Resources that could have been spared if the Roads and Streets had been built with a better Quality and had thus lasted longer. Or if there had been lots of alternative Routes so that not only one Route would have been burdened.

Oh they do it like every ten or fifteen years so not very often. And because it's based on recycling it uses very little resources. Of course there's the gas used for the vehicles but still it's very efficiently done whenever they do it. I think now they do it even more seldom because the truck traffic from Russia has been reduced in a few years.
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Jan 24, 2018 12:50 PM

Jan 2009
annmaryjay said:
Noboru said:

Oh they do it like every ten or fifteen years so not very often. And because it's based on recycling it uses very little resources. Of course there's the gas used for the vehicles but still it's very efficiently done whenever they do it. I think now they do it even more seldom because the truck traffic from Russia has been reduced in a few years.
Every ten to fifteen Years would be a Dream. Over here, every bigger Road has to be temporary flicked every few Years, sometimes even every few Months. And when there is some bigger Road Construction Work, it often lasts for several Months to even Years until they're finished.

And then we have lots of genius, street-architectonic Work like these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UkXR3NknBw&list=PLVRMKQHY0icxzX_WkE-s8_-YF_JAo_h92
Jan 24, 2018 1:12 PM

Jun 2012
Noboru said:
Every ten to fifteen Years would be a Dream. Over here, every bigger Road has to be temporary flicked every few Years, sometimes even every few Months. And when there is some bigger Road Construction Work, it often lasts for several Months to even Years until they're finished.

Well in comparison our traffic is also a lot lesser than that in Germany so the need of the reconstruction isn't as big as there. I can only say how things work in the Southern parts of Finland but here the traffic is busier than in the Central or Northern parts so I think our road reconstruction is also the busiest in our country.

Noboru said:
And then we have lots of genius, street-architectonic Work like these ones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UkXR3NknBw&list=PLVRMKQHY0icxzX_WkE-s8_-YF_JAo_h92

Nur ein Wort ist mir angekommen: geil :'D
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law
Jan 24, 2018 1:13 PM
Oct 2017
You jabroni's are letting /pol/ rot your brains.
Jan 24, 2018 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
annmaryjay said:
Well in comparison our traffic is also a lot lesser than that in Germany so the need of the reconstruction isn't as big as there.
That is certainly true. We have lots of Traffic from other Countries, especially Lorries. On my Way to work, I overtook at least three of them waiting on the righter left-turning Lane which after 100m turns into a right-turning Lane to the Road out of Town. The lefter left-turning Lane was completely free, but I couldn't drive there legally, because it only started to become two Lanes for the left-turning Traffic about 10 or so Meters before me and there was a red Traffic Light before the Lorries. I ignored the continuous, do-not-cross Line after no on-going Traffic came, went for the free righter-left-turning Lane and overtook the three Lorries and went on the righter Lane right after turning left.

Nur ein Wort ist *bei mir angekommen: geil :'D
Stehst wohl auf lange, dicke Pfähle, was? :'D That was Eastern German. Speaking absolutely accent-free is something that maybe only High German Speakers around Hannover manage to do.

purplepasta said:
You jabroni's are letting /pol/ rot your brains.
You don't have to visit 4chan or take any "Redpill" to realize how modern Architecture and Arts are of much poorer Quality compared to earlier.
Jan 27, 2018 12:54 PM

Jan 2009
Seems like Austria is at least not supporting Degenerate Art as much as it used to:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/austria-right-wing-government-funding-cuts-1202801

Related Scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eybiOECYPmU&feature=youtu.be&t=30

The Video is called "I say it for you". In it, the now Vice Chancellor of Austria comes in as the Hero who says what the People think, but are afraid to say themselves:

"You both think: this is totally BS".

And that's also my Stance to that Type of Art.
Oct 14, 2018 6:32 AM

Jan 2009
Here is a good article that I've found concerning architecture with lots of pictures:

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/10/why-you-hate-contemporary-architecture
Oct 15, 2018 3:34 PM

Nov 2016
Noboru said:
Killaclown said:
I'm a simple guy, I think efficiency is usually the most important, especially when it comes to something I don't really care that much about
So you wouldn't mind living in a Place like this?

That place is actually ... weirdly romantic. I wouldn't mind living there; I'd probably even enjoy it.
Oct 15, 2018 9:37 PM

Jan 2009
It's a bit saddening how people get used to ugly looking buildings and bad architectural styles that they don't even realize what effect such things have on their mood and their well-being. And then some people wonder why they're feeling down all the time when the architecture they're surrounded with all or most of the time doesn't stimulate their mind with a lack of ornaments and other decoration and is far away from looking natural by going with less wood-looking colors and including less to none plants in the design.

Thanakos said:
Noboru said:
So you wouldn't mind living in a Place like this?

That place is actually ... weirdly romantic. I wouldn't mind living there; I'd probably even enjoy it.
That's a weird sense for romantic, but there are indeed people who find beauty in ugliness. Even so, this is an extreme image which is still repulsing to most people and as such, this example was chosen, because many people have become too indifferent with the buildings they have to enter and/or have to pass on their way.
Oct 17, 2018 10:36 AM

Nov 2016
Noboru said:
It's a bit saddening how people get used to ugly looking buildings and bad architectural styles that they don't even realize what effect such things have on their mood and their well-being. And then some people wonder why they're feeling down all the time when the architecture they're surrounded with all or most of the time doesn't stimulate their mind with a lack of ornaments and other decoration and is far away from looking natural by going with less wood-looking colors and including less to none plants in the design.

Thanakos said:
That's a weird sense for romantic, but there are indeed people who find beauty in ugliness. Even so, this is an extreme image which is still repulsing to most people and as such, this example was chosen, because many people have become too indifferent with the buildings they have to enter and/or have to pass on their way.

When I looked at the picture, the first thing to come to mind was the closeness I'd develop with the people living there. I imagined playing hide and seek with my friends in that whole complex, or doing street workout on the balconies, and just getting lost in the myriad stories to be found there. I've lived near places like those and life there was hardly very different from cleaner places. Large imposing buildings have their own adverse effects on psyche. They isolate people.

Oct 17, 2018 2:40 PM

Jan 2009
Thanakos said:
When I looked at the picture, the first thing to come to mind was the closeness I'd develop with the people living there. I imagined playing hide and seek with my friends in that whole complex, or doing street workout on the balconies, and just getting lost in the myriad stories to be found there. I've lived near places like those and life there was hardly very different from cleaner places. Large imposing buildings have their own adverse effects on psyche. They isolate people.
That's a completely different picture that I see, then. For me, the image looks like it's depicting dread. Like living in a human cage being left to rot. Also, the sanitary state of the place looks horrendous. I would never want to live in such a place, especially not because with so many people in a small place, conflicts can easily happen. Plus, if there need to be repair somewhere, it will be loud everywhere and the whole place looks like it's about to crumble down.

Hide and seek is better played in nature or at least outside. I would find it a bit awkward to have so many people watch me work out or see my underwear.

I don't know what's so great about getting lost.

Wouldn't this picture be a "large, imposing building" or what are you referring to?
Oct 17, 2018 5:35 PM

Oct 2012
So your argument is, let's make exceedingly cost ineffective and ecologically inefficient buildings just so you can feel prideful about German culture. Let's go back to the days where tens of thousands of Egyptian slaves were sacrificed for a single pyramid.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Oct 17, 2018 5:39 PM

Feb 2018
New philosophical ideas and technological advances can lead to cultural change. Not all change is bad.
Oct 17, 2018 9:43 PM

Jan 2009
ExecCute said:
New philosophical ideas and technological advances can lead to cultural change. Not all change is bad.
True, for instance, I don't mind the chance from Romanesque architecture to Gothic architecture that much or from Gothic architecture to Baroque architecture. However, the stylistic change towards (post)modernism is bad, since unlike earlier stylistic directions, people have stopped building beautiful buildings.

katsucats said:
So your argument is, let's make exceedingly cost ineffective and ecologically inefficient buildings just so you can feel prideful about German culture. Let's go back to the days where tens of thousands of Egyptian slaves were sacrificed for a single pyramid.
Not quite. My argument is that we should spend more money on quality buildings that a) look better, b) make us feel better and c) hold longer. If you just buy cheap, you only get cheap. I'm against the notion of having a tight budget is right, because it means, you aren't really worth anything to you.
Oct 19, 2018 3:57 AM

Jul 2015
Housing is already hard to afford for the poor, and you suggest building even more expensive structures? Who is gonna pay for that? Right, the tenants.

I know huge concrete apartment complexes are ugly to look at, but they are godsent for the people that live in them, since they are actually affordable.

I get the feeling that someone wants everyone on minimum wage to be homeless.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Oct 19, 2018 5:32 AM

Mar 2008
katsucats said:

Slaves didn't build the pyramids skilled workers that were well compensated did. Meaning they were paid in food better amount than other people were given. They drank beer every day too. This is a well documented historical fact. Your info is decades out of date and incorrect which really takes away from the point you tried to make.

Noboru said:
Not quite. My argument is that we should spend more money on quality buildings that a) look better, b) make us feel better and c) hold longer. If you just buy cheap, you only get cheap. I'm against the notion of having a tight budget is right, because it means, you aren't really worth anything to you.

Your idea of better is too biased though. You often can't use old designs with most modern materials and building methods without it looking a little off. When materials change design has to change with it.

I swore I had other posts in this thread. Well if I didn't I would have brought up my liking for pueblo revival on occasion but better Mediterranean revival. Also dome homes that look like little hobbit homes when they are covered in foliage. I think these styles show you don't need heavy ornamentation or very expensive building materials and methods to have something look good. Of course these have to be in the right environment to look appropriate.
traedOct 19, 2018 5:35 AM
Oct 19, 2018 5:47 AM

Jan 2009
@Railey2: The problems we have is that we waste too much money on useless stuff and "kaputtsparen" (sth. like save too much that things easily break) when it comes to buildings.
Besides, it doesn't have to be that extreme, but at least a little decoration or something to make a place more liveable isn't too much asked imho. We are not a poor country, but we look like one.

@traed: Then why not keep using the old materials and methods? Also, even with modern materials, you could at least include some country-typical, little ornaments.

Frankfurt a. M. for instance has renovated their historic city. While it doesn't look exactly like it used to, at least the spirit is still a bit there.

I only recall your posting about the lotus-shaped building, tbh.
Can you post pictures?
Oct 19, 2018 7:52 AM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
@traed: Then why not keep using the old materials and methods? Also, even with modern materials, you could at least include some country-typical, little ornaments.

Frankfurt a. M. for instance has renovated their historic city. While it doesn't look exactly like it used to, at least the spirit is still a bit there.

I only recall your posting about the lotus-shaped building, tbh.
Can you post pictures?

It's usually either because it's slow and hard to work with, there is a scarcity of those materials, the materials cost too much, the materials are health hazard, the materials are structurally inferior, the same materials can't be aquired same quality anymore or a combination of them all. For example because the logging industry trees are much weaker now than they used to be because they bred them to grow faster so the wood is weaker than wood from over a hundred years ago and there is very limited supply of such old wood.

Some are pretty organic and Earthy

traedOct 19, 2018 8:08 AM
Oct 19, 2018 9:09 AM

Jul 2015
Noboru said:
@Railey2: The problems we have is that we waste too much money on useless stuff and "kaputtsparen" (sth. like save too much that things easily break) when it comes to buildings.
Besides, it doesn't have to be that extreme, but at least a little decoration or something to make a place more liveable isn't too much asked imho. We are not a poor country, but we look like one.
Germany does not look poor.

You know what I always pay close attention to if I want to see how poor a country is? The streets.
Our streets are in amazing condition compared to other first world countries.

I've been to France, Italy, Spain, the US and England. Our streets are in better condition than the streets in any of those countries. In terms of (visible) infrastructure, we're looking better than all of them.

I've also been to Serbia, which is an actually poor country, and let me tell you... Germany doesn't even come close. Everything is just falling apart in Belgrade, the buildings, the streets, you name it.
Sure there are parts in Germany that look like shit, especially in the rural regions in the east, but every country has those parts. I'll be damned if our cities don't look amazing for the most part.

You've probably never visited a country that actually looks bad, otherwise you wouldn't be saying stuff like that.

But you know what's useless? Spending money to make an apartment complex look slightly nicer, driving up rent by another 100€ a month. Unless it's your goal to make sure that min wage workers have an even more miserable existence - then by all means.. go ahead.
The examples of nice looking architecture you've provided all have one thing in common: At the time they were constructed, not a single poor person ever lived there.

Or in other words:

This may look ugly

But the alternative is people living on the streets. What do you want?
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Oct 19, 2018 10:02 AM

Jan 2009
@traed: Thank you for the examples; they look quite beautiful and seem to totally fit their respective surroundings! :)

You may be right that there isn't as much quality wood as it used to; I think I've read about that somewhere, too.

The only reasoning I cannot completely stand is however the reasoning "it costs too much". Because that is a too broad statement. Does it really cost too much or do people just think it's not worth the money?

The same question is btw. something I can also ask @Railey2 , to whose posting I would also like to say a few things:

1) many streets in the Ruhr area have holes, though. We have a north/south divide, but even in Baden-Württemberg, there are lots of roads that don't get fixed or take ages to get fixed.

2) Do you know about the A20 in northern Germany? If not, you may read this or this.
We've been getting very bad at infrastructural engineering. To a point where projects get severely delayed or have to be restored with high additional costs. The list of embarrassments include the Elbe Philharmonica, the new Berlin Airport, Stuttgart 21 and the Federal Chancellery (haven't found an English article, plus on Spiegel, if you have an Adblocker, you can just disallow javascript to view the page).

3) You're completely missing the point: we have the money and the means to get everyone living here in nice looking housing. But we don't do that, because the current system we live in does not support that. While our form of capitalism (social market economy/Rhine capitalism) is more social than the more laissez-faire approach of the Anglo-Saxon world, it is still too focused on money. Even the "Mietpreisbremse" (roughly: rent price control) doesn't completely work, because we have too many people just buying out properties for the sake of making money, instead of using their resources to make the country they live in better.

edit: If I might add a little bit, if we had truly wanted to, we could have already had an amazing network and architectural infrastructure. We have the knowledge, the skills and the resources to build it, but we're not doing it. Even though it should be in the interest of the whole country to get a wide-spread, high-speed data network + a reliable mobile network, something simple like creating a fond in which all the companies and wealthier people would do their part for a better country will never be realized because it goes against their economic interests. Though the irony is great, because with that type of egoism, they're obstructing themselves in many ways, be it only that they lose money because the lorry drivers have to stand in traffic jam or when they can't get data fast enough or can't even use mobile phones in rural areas.
NoboruOct 19, 2018 2:33 PM
Oct 19, 2018 5:02 PM

Mar 2008
Noboru said:
@traed: Thank you for the examples; they look quite beautiful and seem to totally fit their respective surroundings! :)

You may be right that there isn't as much quality wood as it used to; I think I've read about that somewhere, too.

The only reasoning I cannot completely stand is however the reasoning "it costs too much". Because that is a too broad statement. Does it really cost too much or do people just think it's not worth the money?

Pueblo revival is based off traditional peublo homes of Native Americans. Mediteranean revival is an American mish mash of various Mediterranean styles like Spanish and Italian mostly. Dome homes are just a type of design and building method. Dome homes are often all concrete with no supports and some like that grass covered one is just sacks of dirt stacked up.

Budget of what someone or a business or government can reasonably afford. Some of the more decorate styles require anual maintenence too.
Oct 21, 2018 3:54 AM

Jan 2009
@traed: Even if they are not native styles by the peoples themselves, they still look good, since they actually look like something that a natural culture on Earth would have brought forward. We have atrocities like the Federal Chancellery in Berlin, that don't look like they would be the result of any culture:

If we don't waste money on other projects, we can have more money for better looking buildings. Also, if we actually spend more money.

Stripping out private debt, the net wealth in Germany was €4,131 billion.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/super-rich-germany-and-its-supermarket-billionaires-1.3658813

You cannot tell me that with all that money, we lack the means to have good looking houses for everyone and a good infrastructure everywhere.

@Flevalt: I have a problem with shitty architecture, because it doesn't motivate me at all to go more outside in my own city and it's down-putting compared to if I lived in a place with better architecture. While the residential area I'm living in is alright, just seeing the same shit buildings on my way to work or school and having been going into a shit building to school since grade school irritates me, especially because we have the means and skills to change that, but don't do so.

I do agree with you that it's mostly capitalism and in general, the egoism and the greed of the people to blame for the situation, but it's not easy to find an alternative system that could actually work on a grand scale (f.i.: distributism).
Nov 11, 2018 11:45 AM

Jan 2009
In relation to posting #77 above and because today, there have been several articles on German news sites about it:

Currently, it is discussed, whether a parliamentary building in the Federal Republic of Germany should be demolished, since the modern building has blatant construction defects, which could cost several millions of Euros to repair:

I genuinely hope that we fire all these "star" architects and instead get people, who can plan buildings which

a) don't look like shit

b) can be constructed without construction defects

c) neither cost, nor are scheduled to be finished much longer than originally planned
Nov 11, 2018 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
Just a question: Are modern buildings cheaper to construct than 19th Century's and before?

If so, that explains a lot the "transition" of the architecture.
removed-userNov 11, 2018 2:10 PM
Nov 11, 2018 2:49 PM

Jan 2009
Carambulesco said:
Just a question: Are modern buildings cheaper to construct than 19th Century's and before?
Interesting question. What is for sure is that we can and do use the residues in coal plants for concrete, so the building material is certainly cheap. However, "cheap" also means "cheap quality". Compared to older buildings, modern concrete buildings don't hold as much.

Plus, the skills of the people have deteriorated compared to much earlier. As evidenced by the failures mentioned in #77 and #81. Also, those prestige objects (new Berlin-Brandenburg airport, Stuttgart 21, Elbe Philharmonic, etc.) are modern buildings and far from cheap.

For comparison:

The Cologne Cathedral is estimated to cost 10 billion Euros if it were built today:

https://www.thelocal.de/20180529/10-facts-you-probably-didnt-know-about-cologne-even-if-you-live-there

The still not finished airport Berlin-Brandenburg already costs over 7 billion Euros.

https://www.thelocal.de/20180223/costs-of-finishing-berlins-disaster-airport-to-swell-to-over-7-billion

Same as Stuttgart 21:

https://www.dw.com/en/stuttgart-21-germanys-other-engineering-fiasco-goes-off-the-rails/a-41782621

Compared to that, the Elbe Philharmonic is quite "cheap" with "only" 700 million Euros:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/nov/06/elbphilharmonie-hamburg-herzog-de-meuron-costly-castle-in-the-air

Naturally, it took much longer to built the Cologne Cathedral, but it has lots of cultural value. So much, that the original plans are stored for save-keeping in a microfilm which is located in an underground archive.
NoboruNov 11, 2018 2:53 PM
Feb 12, 2021 6:22 AM

Jan 2020
What is this? I was born in wrong generation , building version?
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Jul 29, 2021 12:39 PM

Jan 2009
TimMarcus said:
What is this? I was born in wrong generation , building version?
Haha, you could say that xD

Didn't see your posting until now

Might as well check and see what the currently active users think in mid-2021 about modern and traditional architecture
Jul 29, 2021 5:45 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Hard disagree, I think most older architecture is actually pretty ugly and I often like the newer architecture styles better. However I do agree that all modern architecture kind of looks the same. I swear you can hop pretty much anywhere in Europe or South America and it looks to me like it could just as easily be in North America as it could there (for the most part, certain famous monuments / buildings / sculptures are obviously an exception). Although I definitely think there's room for improvement style wise, I want to see a lot more plant life, glass, utilities, and sculptures in modern architecture.
Jul 30, 2021 10:44 AM

Jan 2009
@Kyotosomo: thanks for your input
Yes, the fact that there is no distinct difference in style is what makes modern architecture rather boring to me
And plant life greatly improves things, glass makes things look more tolerable. Kinda ironic, but with architecture like that, the less the building is pronounced and the more the outside/nature, the better it looks

I'd also like to see more sculptures

What utilities do you have in mind?
Jul 31, 2021 11:30 AM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
@Noboru In regards to utilities stuff like benches, tables, drinking fountains, charging stations, animal feeders/houses, water fountains, game tables (for example for chess or mahjong), vending machines, trash/recycling/compost bins, restrooms, grassy areas, etc just anything that you can maintain and place in a way that's aesthetically pleasing in combination with the rest of the area but that will also offer value not just in form but in function too.
Jul 31, 2021 1:44 PM
Jul 2018
my objective opinion is that old european buildings are arse they all look the same and people only think they look fancy because they have a million stupid spikes on the top i'd rather a glass skyscraper than some dreadful colonial brick stack
Aug 1, 2021 4:51 AM

Jan 2009
@Kyotosomo: Oh I see, thanks for the explanation
Yes, those things definitely belong to the whole picture, same as the decorating trees which have the function to provide shadow, prevent flooding and recycle CO² aside from the aesthetic and other environmental aspects

@CursedUrsid: thanks for sharing your opinion
Glass skyscrapers are at least better than some concrete blocks
May 13, 2022 8:07 AM

Apr 2022
Would you consider buildings like these traditional or modern?

Anyway, nothing is built without consideration of energy efficiency and material cost anymore. And the masonry behind it is especially labor-intensive if you want to "garnish" a building with mini-sculptures like with Jugendstil or neoclassical. Back then it was more about worrying only about material costs but nowadays it's labor costs, therefore planners sought a way to minimize those. The Soviets didn't build their ugly Khrushchyovka complexes to tarnish the image of their country to the rest of the world. Cities were growing rapidly and these apartments were assembled quickly from pre-built elements.
May 13, 2022 10:42 AM

Jan 2009
Magnesiumtron said:
The windows look modern, so it's either a modernized, restaurated one or a newer one. Not that much of a fan of brick buildings, but it looks at least more appealing than some concrete block

Nah, I rather say people were far more advanced in the past, but have been purposefully dumped down. You can see that in the clothes, buildings and how people behave nowadays

This whole "energy" business is btw just a scam
May 13, 2022 1:37 PM

Jan 2009
JustOscar said:
Modern architecture is a huge factor in my depression. But modern architecture is a symptom of modern spirit, so I don't think it can be helped.
It's certainly down-putting to get a downgrade in building style
This feeling of powerlessness is even more painful for the ones who know about the true beauty of the past, don't want to accept the present state, but are lacking the might to change that
May 14, 2022 4:49 AM

Jan 2009
JustOscar said:
Noboru said:
It's certainly down-putting to get a downgrade in building style
This feeling of powerlessness is even more painful for the ones who know about the true beauty of the past, don't want to accept the present state, but are lacking the might to change that

And the powerlessness becomes bigger by the fact that you can't even explain your feelings to someone who doesn't share them. How can I explain to someone what I feel when I step out of my home and have to confront the modern world? Either you feel the same and no explanations are required, or you don't feel the same and no amount of words can explain it.
Yes, exactly this. Which makes it harder to talk about how exactly I feel towards that form of modernism and brutalism architecture style with someone who readily accepts those styles or even prefers those
It's rather painful mentally to see the world turn from a much more beautiful place to a triste one, but even more painful is it to see people even welcome that change
May 14, 2022 7:11 AM

Apr 2022
Noboru said:
Magnesiumtron said:
The windows look modern, so it's either a modernized, restaurated one or a newer one. Not that much of a fan of brick buildings, but it looks at least more appealing than some concrete block

Nah, I rather say people were far more advanced in the past, but have been purposefully dumped down. You can see that in the clothes, buildings and how people behave nowadays

This whole "energy" business is btw just a scam

What do you define as advanced in this case? It's not really much of a conspiracy, it's a result of the way our world is run. Everything is built fast to meet strict deadlines which leaves no room for any detailing, and these buildings then serve their purpose for 20-30 years before they are demolished to build a new structure on top. Humanity (or the west for the most part) would need to somehow de-industrialize and eliminate the demand that has been created from our commuting culture (and other influences). Besides, it's not like old buildings are getting renovated and repaired just to restore their authentic look, but to ensure that they do not let moisture and hot/cold air inside.
May 14, 2022 7:26 AM

Dec 2016
So long as we completely level the dull, drab concrete of failed Communism's past.
https://www.thiscityknows.com/soviet-architecture-concrete-panel-and-brick-khrushchyovkas/
To replace it with the sleek, functional, obsidian monolithic of neomilitarism. It is all good for me.
The well-known entrepreneur Elon Musk commented on Twitter that the interiors of the videogame Cyberpunk 2077 were very beautiful and very well designed (especially, those of this aesthetic) and that he would take influence from neo-militarism for the aesthetics of his projects (like his colonies on Mars).

https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Neomilitarism#:~:text=Neomilitarism%2C%20our%20third%20style%20chronologically%2C%20adds%20a%20layer,the%20city%2C%20especially%20corporate%20zones%20and%20business%20districts.
May 14, 2022 9:45 AM

Apr 2022
Soverign said:
So long as we completely level the dull, drab concrete of failed Communism's past.
https://www.thiscityknows.com/soviet-architecture-concrete-panel-and-brick-khrushchyovkas/
To replace it with the sleek, functional, obsidian monolithic of neomilitarism. It is all good for me.
The well-known entrepreneur Elon Musk commented on Twitter that the interiors of the videogame Cyberpunk 2077 were very beautiful and very well designed (especially, those of this aesthetic) and that he would take influence from neo-militarism for the aesthetics of his projects (like his colonies on Mars).

https://aesthetics.fandom.com/wiki/Neomilitarism#:~:text=Neomilitarism%2C%20our%20third%20style%20chronologically%2C%20adds%20a%20layer,the%20city%2C%20especially%20corporate%20zones%20and%20business%20districts.

Idk, the one good thing from soviet apartments is the comfy rooms. This cyberpunk style looks way too minimalist and empty for me.
May 14, 2022 11:22 AM

Jan 2009
Magnesiumtron said:
What do you define as advanced in this case?
Like building beautiful buildings that are inspiring to a vast majority of people and do not look cheap and/or lackluster. There has been a regression and it's always the same excuse called "energy efficiency"
Also, some renovation purposefully destroy the old character

Cyberpunk is only good in games, but too depressing to live in in the actual world
May 14, 2022 4:26 PM

Apr 2022
Noboru said:
Magnesiumtron said:
What do you define as advanced in this case?
Like building beautiful buildings that are inspiring to a vast majority of people and do not look cheap and/or lackluster. There has been a regression and it's always the same excuse called "energy efficiency"
Also, some renovation purposefully destroy the old character

Cyberpunk is only good in games, but too depressing to live in in the actual world

Ironically, people praise it as epically futuristic but forget that the Cyberpunk style is a result of crappy living conditions. It's a common dystopian trope for a reason.
May 14, 2022 7:43 PM

Dec 2016
Magnesiumtron said:
Soverign said:

Idk, the one good thing from soviet apartments is the comfy rooms. This cyberpunk style looks way too minimalist and empty for me.

There are several styles and entropy is the closest to the soviet style, or lack thereof.

Example of Arasaka Tower

I would go out of my way to turn those hideous slums into rubble... so that neomilitarism can rise like a onyx phoenix from its ashes.
May 15, 2022 2:03 AM

Jan 2009
Magnesiumtron said:
Ironically, people praise it as epically futuristic but forget that the Cyberpunk style is a result of crappy living conditions. It's a common dystopian trope for a reason.
Yes and it's a difference if you look at it for a couple of hours while playing a role or if you have to see it everyday. The music is great, though

Soverign said:
Example of Arasaka Tower
It looks at least not ridiculous, but still kinda bleak. Only the lights and the plant life seem to make the scenery look less dreary
If skyscrapers, I'd like to see more like the former Singer Building
May 15, 2022 2:47 AM

Dec 2016
Noboru said:

Soverign said:
Example of Arasaka Tower
It looks at least not ridiculous, but still kinda bleak. Only the lights and the plant life seem to make the scenery look less dreary
If skyscrapers, I'd like to see more like the former Singer Building

It would be a challenge for just about anything to be 'more' bleak than soviet apartment blocs.

Even 3d printed concrete barracks for Marines.
https://techplus.co/u-s-army-corps-of-engineers-tests-3d-printed-concrete-barracks/
May 15, 2022 3:04 AM

Jan 2009
Soverign said:
It would be a challenge for just about anything to be 'more' bleak than soviet apartment blocs.
Just look into Brutalism and you'll find plenty of horrendous examples

The examples you gave before + the 3D-printed concrete barracks can be at least fixed with enough LEDs and/or some plant life, while it would be almost impossible to make any Brutalist Architecture look appealing

Anyway, the point is that truly good-looking architecture doesn't need lights nor plants to look good. The more of those things you need to make it appealing, the uglier it is without those
May 15, 2022 3:08 AM

Dec 2016
Noboru said:
Soverign said:
Just look into Brutalism and you'll find plenty of horrendous examples

The examples you gave before + the 3D-printed concrete barracks can be at least fixed with enough LEDs and/or some plant life, while it would be almost impossible to make any Brutalist Architecture look appealing

Anyway, the point is that truly good-looking architecture doesn't need lights nor plants to look good. The more of those things you need to make it appealing, the uglier it is without those

To be fair, if you see the 3d printed concrete up close it has an appeal. It is an undulating chevron style. Plus, it looks like the kind of thing that will age well and acquire a appealing time worn look. Like a pair of mass produced blue jeans. That after wear and wash have these faded areas making them a unique pair after time. A look that is so desirable designers make imitation time worn jeans lol.
So, when you think of entropy as throwing a rock in a pond and the waves stop to return to a still stagnant surface of least resistance. You realize that even soulless machines hate communism. >:3
SoverignMay 15, 2022 4:21 AM
May 15, 2022 4:29 AM

Jan 2009
Soverign said:
To be fair, if you see the 3d printed concrete up close it has an appeal. It is an undulating chevron style. Plus, it looks like the kind of thing that will age well and acquire a appealing time worn look.
Yeah, I can see that happen for the 3D-printed concrete, though this would be more fitting for dry and barren desert regions, which are far from my favorite landscape
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How will things look in 40 - 50 years?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 7

36 by W3TFT »»
7 minutes ago

» What's the point of life?

purple_rayn - 46 minutes ago

5 by xthewarwithinx »»
10 minutes ago

» What age range do you find the most physically attractive?

Ejrodiew - Apr 11

31 by LoveYourEyes »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » representation or relatability ?

ame - Apr 14

40 by elgatosaika »»
13 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you?

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

22 by FFandMMfan »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.