Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jan 18, 8:55 PM

My lord people, it's the 2nd episode, give it time before you start throwing out stupid, meaningless buzzwords like "overrated". This show is obviously a slow burn, and if you aren't into a slow show like this and need immediate gratification, then there are other shows for you.

Do us all a favour, drop this, and move on to your high octane, shinkansen paced, run-of-the-mill shounens if you want something less delicate.

Jan 18, 9:36 PM
Finally, someone said it

Jan 18, 9:56 PM
RealityRush said:
My lord people, it's the 2nd episode, give it time before you start throwing out stupid, meaningless buzzwords like "overrated". This show is obviously a slow burn, and if you aren't into a slow show like this and need immediate gratification, then there are other shows for you.

Do us all a favour, drop this, and move on to your high octane, shinkansen paced, run-of-the-mill shounens if you want something less delicate.

Calm down. Is just his opinion.

Jan 18, 10:09 PM

Burguburu said:
RealityRush said:

Someone having an opinion doesn't make me respect bait like "overrated" as the subject of a thread.

Jan 19, 12:30 AM

I'll give this show 10 more episodes to see if I agree with you. So far, it only has 2 episodes airing...
Unless you already read the novels so then I'm convinced to agree with you.

Vlad4o said:

And if there is a truly "overrated" show this seaosn, it's Devilman:Crybaby. Everyone from the fans to big popular anime youtubers and many websites praise this show like it's the second coming of Christ, saying it's the best anime of the entire year, even though the year has just started and there are countless of other shows that have yet to air.

Darkness>>Megumin>>>>>>>Aqua

Jan 19, 12:56 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Gersoncs said:
Let's be fair here. If this was a show by another studio and the animation was mediocre, no one would care about it.

Evergreen post. This and all other KyoAni shows only are popular because muh based KyoAni and muh quality animation.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a crazy parallel universe where JC Staff did Clannad and KyoAni did Little Busters unlike here, and bet the MAL from that universe has Refrain in the top 10 forever and ever while After Story can't break even top 250.

Nope. They're popular because they're good shows.

Jan 19, 1:07 AM

Kittens-kun said:

Phantom World is terrible yet still has a decent score. Maidragon would be another cute girls does cute things show that nobody remembers if someone like Studio Gokumi had done the series.

KyoAni shows are extra popular just because they're at the helm. Actual quality of the show comes second.

Jan 19, 1:52 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Kittens-kun said:

Phantom World is terrible yet still has a decent score. Maidragon would be another cute girls does cute things show that nobody remembers if someone like Studio Gokumi had done the series.

KyoAni shows are extra popular just because they're at the helm. Actual quality of the show comes second.

Nope. They're popular because they're good shows. Just like Madhouse or Production I.D.

Jan 19, 1:53 AM

Kittens-kun said:
Nope. They're popular because they're good shows. Just like Madhouse or Production I.D.

If that helps you sleep at night.

Jan 19, 1:55 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Kittens-kun said:

The truth is very comforting.

Jan 19, 3:16 AM

Dlwuik said:
i am raging autistically because fate/zero 2nd season is no longer in the top 50. this anime is boring imo.

You dont need to have fights every episode to be a good anime, fate was boring until the end, this still have a long way to go and its good

Jan 19, 3:58 AM

So far I am loving it. It has a beautiful OST, heartwarming moments, great atmosphere, and (of course) great art and animation. So far it's a 9/10 for me but it could change.

I personally find Code Geass the most overrated anime of the medium but I'd rather watch more anime than waste my time making a thread about it.
“Even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side.” - Madoka Kaname

Jan 19, 4:04 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Gersoncs said:
Let's be fair here. If this was a show by another studio and the animation was mediocre, no one would care about it.

Evergreen post. This and all other KyoAni shows only are popular because muh based KyoAni and muh quality animation.

"If this show was bad nobody would care about it"

Basically what you two said. No wonder, it's a moot point.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Jan 19, 6:16 AM
This show just get hyped too much
Just because it has a pretty animation, doesn't mean it's a good show

I already read the Source, and it's not that amazing though. The anime really changed the storyboard, they expand Violet's characterization, just wait until Violet get to her clients, it will be better (perhaps)

Jan 19, 6:18 AM
just relax people, it's just 2nd episode aired for now,

better say it "overrated or not" when this anime is over . . . :D
~ この 素晴らしい イマダ の 世界 に 神様 の 祝福 を !!! ~ Kono Subarashii Imad no Sekai ni Kamisama no Shukufuku wo !!! ~
~ بارك الله في هذا العالم الجميل عماد ~ Barak-Allah fii haadzaa Al-Aalam Al-Jamiil Imad ~
~ Allah SWT 's Blessing on This Wonderful Imad's World !!! ~ Allah SWT Memberkati Dunia Imad yang Menakjubkan ini !!! ~

Jan 19, 6:29 AM

jal90 said:

No. What we said was "If another stuidio with average animation and less fanboys did it then would be far less popular even if the plot and characters were the same" and this is sadly true.

Jan 19, 6:31 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
jal90 said:

No. What we said was "If another stuidio with average animation and less fanboys did it then would be far less popular even if the plot and characters were the same" and this is sadly true.

Liking a studio ≠ fanboy.

Jan 19, 6:32 AM
Kittens-kun said:
ZettaiRyouiki said:

Popular ≠ Good.

Jan 19, 6:32 AM

Kittens-kun said:

Thinking everything a studio does is good because that studio dit it = fanboy.

No duh.

Jan 19, 6:33 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Kittens-kun said:

Thinking everything a studio does is good because that studio dit it = fanboy.

No duh.

That's never what I said, but ok.

Jan 19, 6:34 AM

Burguburu said:
Kittens-kun said:

Popular ≠ Good.

Never said that either.

Jan 19, 7:00 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
jal90 said:

I don't care about your derogatory "fanboys" bullshit, that's not part of my argument, but the fact you play it like animation has absolutely no role in determining the quality of a show and exists as a separated trait is hilarious. Animation is integral to the rest of the show, it higlights or portrays characters and story in visibly distinct ways, and this is even more stupid to say when we take into account KyoAni.

KyoAni, the studio known for putting a lot of effort on visual storytelling. KyoAni, the studio that purposely embellishes everything and goes all the way to animate even slight details and gestures, or uses backgrounds and colouring to reflect and transmit moods.

No wonder people wouldn't love this show as much if it had an average animation. An average animation would completely change the focus, storytelling and perception of the characters. That's why it's a moot point and saying this is so annoying and completely misses the point of everything.
Do you like movies? Are you interested on commenting and discussing them? Check The Cinema Club for some film-related talk.

Jan 19, 7:03 AM

jal90 said:
I don't care about your derogatory "fanboys" bullshit, that's not part of my argument, but the fact you play it like animation has absolutely no role in determining the quality of a show and exists as a separated trait is hilarious. Animation is integral to the rest of the show, it higlights or portrays characters and story in visibly distinct ways, and this is even more stupid to say when we take into account KyoAni.

KyoAni, the studio known for putting a lot of effort on visual storytelling. KyoAni, the studio that purposely embellishes everything and goes all the way to animate even slight details and gestures, or uses backgrounds and colouring to reflect and transmit moods.

No wonder people wouldn't love this show as much if it had an average animation. An average animation would completely change the focus, storytelling and perception of the characters. That's why it's a moot point and saying this is so annoying and completely misses the point of everything.

If you think animation matters that much, then shut your eyes tight and amaze yourself with the pretty colors. I want a good story or great comedy or whatever that comes. Pretty art is secondary.

Jan 19, 7:09 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
jal90 said:

If you think animation matters that much, then shut your eyes tight and amaze yourself with the pretty colors. I want a good story or great comedy or whatever that comes. Pretty art is secondary.

You seem to be missing the part about visual storytelling. But hey, who am I to not let you indulge in your TAS level "pretty colors" crap.

Jan 19, 7:25 AM

jal90 said:
You seem to be missing the part about visual storytelling. But hey, who am I to not let you indulge in your TAS level "pretty colors" crap.

Because KyoAni shows are so complex and "visual storytelling" matters so much when doing shows about cute girls doing cute things.

Jan 19, 7:33 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
jal90 said:

Because KyoAni shows are so complex and "visual storytelling" matters so much when doing shows about cute girls doing cute things.

Can you elaborate in some way or form why it doesn't matter?

Also, Violet Evergarden is not a CGDCT show.

Jan 19, 7:36 AM

jal90 said:

Hey, don't bother about those who clearly don't want to enjoy an anime yet will continue on bickering on the threads. Majority of the fans in MAL don't know what is called visual storytelling and why it makes KyoAni such a great studio. And hence anime like Hyouka, Hibike Euphonium, K-On!, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, Tamako Love Story have never been appreciated the way they should have been.

I have already posted many positive things that the first two episodes have shown but they are not gonna respond to those comments because they don't have a way to counter those and suddenly realize that they have anime with similar traits in their list of favourites so they end up ignoring them. At this point, I can only say that the hate for KyoAni is real.

I also criticized KyoAni for some shows like K-On!, Musaigen no Phantom World, Tamako Market, Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) and Kyoukai no Kanata in the past and those criticisms were backed by proper arguments. Although my opinions about certain shows changed after watching the sequels as I realized how well thought-out the prequels had been.

I judge myself as a KyoAnifag but I don't shy away from criticizing something that could have been done in a better way.
Modified by shanimebib, Jan 19, 7:41 AM

Jan 19, 7:38 AM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
jal90 said:

Anime is an audio/visual medium. The visuals are just as important as the story. If you think story matters independently of the visuals then download a transcript of the show and read it, don't bother watching it or listening to the music or VA work.

This isn't a book, the audio/visuals are a massive part of the story telling.

For example, episode 2 made a point of showing the fingers of the lady Violet was writing the letter for. They are bruised up and red, implying she is a working girl despite her appearance. She is trying to marry up. This was her break in life and Violet ruined it for her, making the situation a lot worse than it seemed. That's visual story telling and a lot of people in the Episode threads on /r/anime and even here missed that detail. Those are the kinds of details that make this show interesting to watch and are the primary draw for this slow burn. People that want rapid pacing and don't care for these details obviously won't enjoy the show as much, but they are a part of why this show is good and not "overrated" (yet, gotta see it in full first).
Modified by RealityRush, Jan 19, 7:48 AM

Jan 19, 7:39 AM
Free and aot are 10x more overated

Jan 19, 7:46 AM

shanimebib said:
jal90 said:

Hey, don't bother about those who clearly don't want to enjoy an anime yet will continue on bickering on the threads. Majority of the fans in MAL don't know what is called visual storytelling and why it makes KyoAni such a great studio. And hence anime like Hyouka, Hibike Euphonium, K-On!, Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu, Tamako Love Story have never been appreciated the way they should have been.

I have already posted many positive things that the first two episodes have shown but they are not gonna respond to those comments because they don't have a way to counter those and suddenly realize that they have anime with similar traits in their list of favourites so they end up ignoring them. At this point, I can only say that the hate for KyoAni is real.

I also criticized KyoAni for some shows like K-On!, Musaigen no Phantom World, Tamako Market and Kyoukai no Kanata in the past and those criticisms were backed by proper arguments.

I judge myself as a KyoAnifag but I don't shy away from criticizing something that could have done in better way.

You know, I can understand that people don't like, appreciate or are into visual storytelling. Like, I'm not going to convince them to change their priorities.

But that is a thing, and not acknowledging the purpose of a show or a studio and downplaying people who like it for that reason is another one, very stupid and self-absorbed. If you don't like it, feel free to. But don't blame people for liking a show for its visuals when visuals are conceived and brought as a central aspect of the show. And don't make such absurd moot points like assuming that people wouldn't enjoy it as much if it had average animation.

Jan 19, 7:50 AM

jal90 said:
Also, Violet Evergarden is not a CGDCT show.

Some people actually said Hibike! Euphonium is CGDCT as well in the past. Ironically.

Even for CGDCT shows like K-On!, there is a fantastic story, a very human story and character development going on which don't become apparent until someone goes into the second season. The casual sipping on tea or sharing cakes hit home much later into the second season. You suddenly realize it's more than just CGDCT anime on its own.

Jan 19, 8:04 AM

I hope it delivers anything else other than music and art (which still looks less appealing that Hyouka or Hibike for an example), so far the story and characters have been super meh.

Jan 19, 8:45 AM

kirakiii said:
Free and aot are 10x more overated
Except Free doesn't have a rating above 8.Also AoT might be a bit overrated but I still think it's one of the better animes

Jan 19, 9:12 AM

Siul-08 said:
Dlwuik said:
i am raging autistically because fate/zero 2nd season is no longer in the top 50. this anime is boring imo.

You dont need to have fights every episode to be a good anime, fate was boring until the end, this still have a long way to go and its good

fate/zero was entertaining and good from the start, you're just too UNCULTURED to understand why it's so good.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 19, 9:15 AM

This is how the anime rating system works:

If the anime is about searching for 'meaning' it is automatically 100001/10

If the anime is anything else it is average
To destroy evil, I must become a greater evil.

Jan 19, 9:43 AM

from the first episode, i give it a 7 to this anime. And that's just because of its stunning Art style and graphic.

Jan 19, 9:43 AM

Dlwuik said:
Siul-08 said:

fate/zero was entertaining and good from the start, you're just too UNCULTURED to understand why it's so good.

Steins;gate was super slow at the begining and its classic masterpiece, finish the anime then start complaining.

Jan 19, 10:12 AM
Who fucking care, I love it, those who don't get off our way. We are here to enjoy the show, stop putting your pussy into other bussiness and get back to watch your loli hentai genre.

Jan 19, 10:22 AM
Oh boy... another one of these discussions.
Seriously, it's only 2 bloody episodes people. So far it's the anime is still catching up on character introduction. There are lots of slow-paced anime that ended up good.
So why not just enjoy what's on the plate for now? Or do you simply dislike the show because of the hype?

Jan 19, 10:40 AM

even if thig got 9 i wouldnt say its overated

Jan 19, 11:41 AM
Gersoncs said:
ZettaiRyouiki said:

Sometimes I wonder if there's a crazy parallel universe where JC Staff did Clannad and KyoAni did Little Busters unlike here, and bet the MAL from that universe has Refrain in the top 10 forever and ever while After Story can't break even top 250.

Well, I don't hate KyoAni. Their animation is pretty good and some of their shows are good (mostly the not original ones).
Violet does have one of the best animation ever made and if someone says that, I won't disagree. But saying the writing is also great is a clear bias.

Problem is that people become fan from studios and lost all critical thinking about them. Just look at Darling in the Franxx. Everyone keeps hyping it: "It's great! Trigger did it again!".
I didn't even watch it, but I do know it's not even a Trigger anime. It's pretty much all A-1 staff, with Trigger just helping it. What shows how these fans doesn't even know what they like in those studios they love, as they can't even recognize them.

It's like people who buys any shit if they have a famous label on it.

Anyway, it's fine that people like shows regardless of their quality, but when the mass starts to hype something with so clear writing flaws. When we know the exact same story wouldn't sell on other hands, we have a clear bias there.

I happen to think that Darlifra is good, primarily because it hearkens back to a lot of the themes and tropes that made Evangelion, Diebuster, and Guren Lagan (from which the show draws its thematic and visual direction) good.

But I digress.

Kyoani's animation for Violet Evergarden is top-notch. On that alone it has at least some merit. However the characters don't make a lot of sense and Violet herself is simply difficult to invest in emotionally or mentally. We know that she's been a child soldier, but that doesn't really explain her total lack of empathy or even the apparent lack of ability to understand, much less convey, emotion.

Souske Sagara of FMP at least had the trauma of being raised by Afghan terrorists and fighting since age 8 to explain his awkwardness, but that awkwardness was never played completely straight, and often played up for comedic value.

Violet has none of that, and her role is played so straight that the viewer has no motivation to continue watching because she displays no measurable growth. Her entire concept of self-worth revolves around one character whose death on the battlefield is an all but stated fact. If nothing else, she's kind of like a female version of Inaho from Aldnoah Zero. Yet even Inaho is better than her, because the circumstances he gets thrust into and the relationships with people around him begin to define who or what he is to the audience. Violet Evergarden has yet to do this with its eponymous heroine, and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

TL;DR: yes, it is overrated.

Jan 19, 11:49 AM

copyrightRingo said:
Oh boy... another one of these discussions.
Seriously, it's only 2 bloody episodes people. So far it's the anime is still catching up on character introduction. There are lots of slow-paced anime that ended up good.
So why not just enjoy what's on the plate for now? Or do you simply dislike the show because of the hype?
idk where you got that I dislike it, and precisely only 2 episodes and it's rated so high even though they're not THAT amazing and it had 8.9 before it even fucking aired

Jan 19, 11:50 AM

Takros_Knonnar said:
Who fucking care, I love it, those who don't get off our way. We are here to enjoy the show, stop putting your pussy into other bussiness and get back to watch your loli hentai genre.
...what the fuck? XD

Jan 19, 11:51 AM

Idk it was hyped af from summer 2017 (i guess) and now it turns like to be a regular show with a no relatable protagonist. The only thing that is good is the graphic.

Jan 19, 12:04 PM
Yes, after episode 2 I find this to be overrated, I admit I was caught by the hype tho.

Jan 19, 12:46 PM
RealityRush said:
Burguburu said:

Someone having an opinion doesn't make me respect bait like "overrated" as the subject of a thread.

I'm cool with the show but I have to admit it's super overrated. Get over yourself and your bias and start preaching to the people proclaiming it as an undeniable masterpiece and shoving down pretentious statements down everyone else's thoughts who either criticized or has a different opinion besides "OMG! It looks so good!! Best anime of the century!!"(this was going on even way before it was out)
Funny how no one brings that up when saying something like "It's just been xx episodes...it's too early blah blah"
Personally I don't think it's fair that violet evergarden gets a pass on its flaws while other shows get totally wrecked for way waaaaay less

So yes.. Sorry if the word triggers you..but..say it with me...overrated
Now yish..calm down. 2 episodes and the fanbase is already toxic like crazy
Let people have their opinions and stop getting so triggered easily Jesus XD

Jan 19, 12:55 PM

JudoJD said:
RealityRush said:

I'm cool with the show but I have to admit it's super overrated. Get over yourself and your bias and start preaching to the people proclaiming it as an undeniable masterpiece and shoving down pretentious statements down everyone else's thoughts who either criticized or has a different opinion besides "OMG! It looks so good!! Best anime of the century!!"(this was going on even way before it was out)
Funny how no one brings that up when saying something like "It's just been xx episodes...it's too early blah blah"
Personally I don't think it's fair that violet evergarden gets a pass on its flaws while other shows get totally wrecked for way waaaaay less

Saying it's "overrated" is the laziest criticism possible. Buzzwords are not an argument.

Jan 19, 1:19 PM

the looks alone put it above most airing anime
we'll se if it develops into anything particularly interesting, but so far it's enjoyable on production value alone

Jan 19, 1:55 PM

JudoJD said:
RealityRush said:

Saying it is the "best anime ever" without explaining why is absolutely just as vapid, but those have not come up much so far and there isn't a thread on here dedicated to that. I largely see people saying it is "overrated", which as Kittens mentioned, is one of the laziest, most empty criticisms you can level at something without any evidence and is used for baiting in nearly all cases I've seen it on here.

Violet isn't getting a pass and that's friggin' absurd to suggest it, nor do you get to disregard something I've said constantly regardless of the show being discussed. It's a shit criticism on any show, as is calling something "tropey" as if that is inherently a negative.

These baiting threads are worthless and almost always devoid of useful discussion, and I wish the mods would just delete them on sight.

Jan 19, 3:10 PM
RealityRush said:
JudoJD said:

Saying it is the "best anime ever" without explaining why is absolutely just as vapid, but those have not come up much so far and there isn't a thread on here dedicated to that. I largely see people saying it is "overrated", which as Kittens mentioned, is one of the laziest, most empty criticisms you can level at something without any evidence and is used for baiting in nearly all cases I've seen it on here.

Violet isn't getting a pass and that's friggin' absurd to suggest it, nor do you get to disregard something I've said constantly regardless of the show being discussed. It's a shit criticism on any show, as is calling something "tropey" as if that is inherently a negative.

These baiting threads are worthless and almost always devoid of useful discussion, and I wish the mods would just delete them on sight.

Why do you want censorship? let people discuss in a civil manner, don't get triggered by others' opinions.

Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »