Post New Reply
Feb 16, 10:18 AM
Showatt said:
*word vomit*

Dude..what the fuck?

Feb 16, 11:11 AM

pauldexter said:
Best anime of this season. Nuffsaid.

since you like akame ga kill, lets pretend you didn't say anything!!

EP06: 1/5 .... yes its overrated :/ until now (from 9.20 to 8.40 ;D) but lets see the last half maybe it gets better ;p
Modified by Zuerchtein-Mario, Feb 16, 11:47 AM

Feb 16, 1:00 PM
As a "slice of life" anime it has its merits. The episodic stories are nice to follow and the visuals are gorgeous.

Having said that, my TV isn't entirely happy with the excessive color filtering. I only seem to see the anime through milky glass with brightness that seems to be 120%.

The problem with the anime is that it all sounds disconnected with the "letter of the week" setting. It reminds me of CSI which has a very very loose progression but it's the weekly case that's important. And Violet is quite an enigma, well I just resign myself that i'm not really going to learn much about her.

And I think the alternative world setting is irrelevant. Wondering everytime what that war was about, what the countries are (even showing a map), it doesn't seem to matter to the story, just name dropping.

To sum up: I doubt this anime will be remembered for decades to come, so yeah it doesn't live up to the hype.

Feb 16, 1:29 PM

Zuerchtein-Mario said:
pauldexter said:
Best anime of this season. Nuffsaid.

since you like akame ga kill, lets pretend you didn't say anything!!

EP06: 1/5 .... yes its overrated :/ until now (from 9.20 to 8.40 ;D) but lets see the last half maybe it gets better ;p
I'll agree that Akame is trash lol

Feb 16, 6:27 PM
Kemuri07 said:
Showatt said:
*word vomit*

Dude..what the fuck?

Sorry I couldn't sum up how I feel about a show in short enough sentences so kids like you who are allergic to reading and have the attention span of a goldfish can understand.
Modified by Showatt, Feb 16, 6:31 PM

Feb 16, 8:36 PM
Showatt said:
Kemuri07 said:

Dude..what the fuck?

Sorry I couldn't sum up how I feel about a show in short enough sentences so kids like you who are allergic to reading and have the attention span of a goldfish can understand.

haha. oh wow. So we're at the point of insulting my intelligence already?

k.

Feb 16, 8:49 PM
shion_shu said:
As a "slice of life" anime it has its merits. The episodic stories are nice to follow and the visuals are gorgeous.

Having said that, my TV isn't entirely happy with the excessive color filtering. I only seem to see the anime through milky glass with brightness that seems to be 120%.

The problem with the anime is that it all sounds disconnected with the "letter of the week" setting. It reminds me of CSI which has a very very loose progression but it's the weekly case that's important. And Violet is quite an enigma, well I just resign myself that i'm not really going to learn much about her.

And I think the alternative world setting is irrelevant. Wondering everytime what that war was about, what the countries are (even showing a map), it doesn't seem to matter to the story, just name dropping.

To sum up: I doubt this anime will be remembered for decades to come, so yeah it doesn't live up to the hype.

I strongly disagree that the alternate history is irrelevant to the show. The thing is, it seems like most of the complaints directed at the show seem to be based on VE not being plot heavy or action oriented, neither of which Violet Evergarden is particularly interested in. Besides, how does knowing what the "war is about" inform us about any of the characters? it doesn't. The war is just a useful bit of world building that explains the fractured state of Violet. The actual show is less about discovering what happened to Violet or detailing what her missions were or what the actual fighting was about and more about what happens when a (literal) human weapon doesn't have a cause or mission to fight for. The actual reasonings behind the war is beside the point.

I think the issue is is that war and violence are such oft-used story lines in anime that when once completely sidesteps it completely, it catches people off guard.

Also: I find overrated to be such an empty term. Because it's less about taking a show on its own terms and more about judging it based on the reaction of others. Sure, it's a balancing act: I was turned onto Violet Evergarden because I saw the critical reaction for the series was so high, but I also went into VE not immediately expecting some masterpiece, and I think that helped. I'm enjoying the visuals, its leisurely pacing, and the characters. For right now, that's enough for me.

Modified by Kemuri07, Feb 16, 8:54 PM

Feb 16, 8:55 PM
Kemuri07 said:
Showatt said:

k.

If your only response to someone trying to express how he feels about a show is "dude what the fuck" while reducing everything he's written to "word vomit" then yes, I believe we're at that point already.

I don't see a point being civil to someone who doesn't even bother trying to be polite.
Modified by Showatt, Feb 16, 9:06 PM

Feb 16, 9:14 PM
Kemuri07 said:
shion_shu said:

*Some mumble jumble TLDR that is of no value to anyone reading *

Dude, are you serious?

^ that's what you did.

Feb 16, 9:15 PM
Showatt said:
Kemuri07 said:

k.

If your only response to someone trying to express how he feels about a show is "dude what the fuck" while reducing everything he's written to "word vomit" then yes, I believe we're at that point already.

I don't see a point being civil to someone who doesn't even bother trying to be polite.

Well, I call it a word vomit because it kind of is--an essay length post about a whole lotta nothing. Sure, I could go in there and go into detail why I think you're wrong--but meh. Don't really want to.

Feb 16, 9:17 PM
Showatt said:
Kemuri07 said:

*Some mumble jumble TLDR that is of no value to anyone reading *

Dude, are you serious?

^ that's what you did.

yeah but...why you mad though?

Feb 16, 9:20 PM
Kemuri07 said:
Showatt said:

Well, I call it a word vomit because it kind of is--an essay length post about a whole lotta nothing. Sure, I could go in there and go into detail why I think you're wrong--but meh. Don't really want to.

Then I was right? We ARE at that point already. You think I'm stupid for express my opinion in such way and I think you're stupid for belittling other's argument and not even bothering to counter with your own. I could be the bigger man and just ignore you but meh. Weekend.

Modified by Showatt, Feb 17, 12:36 AM

Feb 16, 9:23 PM
Kemuri07 said:
Showatt said:

Dude, are you serious?

^ that's what you did.

yeah but...why you mad though?

Yeah how dare I respond wryly to someone who reduced something I wrote to *word vomit* while simultaneously offering a "whole lotta nothing" to say in return.

Modified by Showatt, Feb 16, 9:47 PM

Feb 17, 6:38 AM

oh my, what have I done

Feb 17, 10:04 AM
mcrta_weeb said:
oh my, what have I done

You've destroyed the internet. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY.

Feb 17, 2:35 PM
Its dropping fast. Thank god people are finally woke about it being over rated.

Feb 17, 3:43 PM
mcrta_weeb said:
oh my, what have I done

Nothing bad of course. You are just asking why this had a very high score. You are not alone.

Feb 17, 4:28 PM

Wow. This whole thread is "fake news"! You guys need to learn how to overrate shows like I do. Hopefully this remains at 8 or better in my book so I can keep the smiles rolling all the way through March with all my other overrated shows!

Feb 17, 4:54 PM

it isn't even over yet

Feb 17, 7:18 PM
Peco said:
it isn't even over yet

Right? All this whining about it not being a masterpiece is pointless because show isn't even finished yet.

Feb 18, 7:35 PM

mcrta_weeb said:
oh my, what have I done

saying the truth :D ... 0iq-people are fighting for if they should give VE a 11 or a 12 :p

Feb 19, 12:06 AM

StyleF1re said:
Wow. This whole thread is "fake news"! You guys need to learn how to overrate shows like I do. Hopefully this remains at 8 or better in my book so I can keep the smiles rolling all the way through March with all my other overrated shows!

Believe me it will. The score is dropping at a slower and slower speed by now. No matter how much people diss this, it will come to a point where they can only repost their diss to maintain the hate.

Feb 19, 2:24 AM
Twiist said:
Believe me it will. The score is dropping at a slower and slower speed by now. No matter how much people diss this, it will come to a point where they can only repost their diss to maintain the hate.

Unless some anime youtuber criticizes it...

Feb 19, 1:40 PM

Twiist said:

I didn't even notice the mean score and member count until your mention. I suppose that's how invisible most of the MAL stats are to my eyes nowadays. Still, pretty cool to see!

And btw, for all those "hating" on this show and not watching (or hating on) Yuru Camp then you've got some work to do! I'm overrating the heck out of that beautiful anime as well. That, Evergarden, Ameagari, and especially Sangatsu have me putting my hands together pretty often nowadays for Japan. The anime this season are on-point! Really allows me to savor all these awesome candies, pastries, cookies, ice creams, and other treats I indulge in while watching episodes...

Yesterday, 2:07 AM

the series isn't over yet, so it's hard to judge

Yesterday, 7:08 AM

dr-clark said:

Yet, we have thousands of people rating it 10/10 before the show even began. Why do you think we have threads like this to begin with?

Yesterday, 7:26 AM

Toshiya0 said:
dr-clark said:

Yet, we have thousands of people rating it 10/10 before the show even began. Why do you think we have threads like this to begin with?

And just as many trolls doing the exact opposite.

Yesterday, 4:26 PM

Kittens-kun said:
Toshiya0 said:

I don't see a few thousand 1s or 2s, Kittens-kun.

Yesterday, 5:54 PM

Toshiya0 said:
Kittens-kun said:

please don't argue with him , 0IQ-people like him are the ones who give 10 to VE (8 for VE is too much) and 1 to FMA (yea i remember he said don't compare them .....)
PS: he wishes he could give a 20 instead of 10

Yesterday, 7:56 PM
I'd say that is overrated, mostly because of the lack of progress of any sort. It's pretty much a series of short stories at this point (ep 6), with no development of plot and the protagonist herself, Violet. None. One could watch episode 1 and 2, skip and watch episode 6, and notice basically nothing different. So much wasted potential with the stellar animation, but with it using a series of unrelated short stories, there's nothing to keep you around really. The short stories themselves are okay, but could be so much better, and could also actually develop the plot and Violet more.

Today, 1:25 AM

Toshiya0 said:
Kittens-kun said:

You're still acting like they aren't there.

@Zuerchtein-Mario Get a life already.

Today, 1:28 AM

I thought it was decent, but then I was like, I'll watch something else instead

Today, 5:15 AM

Toshiya0 said:
Kittens-kun said:

there is no point talking to supreme white knight like him, just add to ignore list and you are done.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)

Today, 6:42 AM
I think the score is dropping, no? it's not at #10 on top airing anime, I think it was top 5, top 7 before?

Today, 6:52 AM
Yes, it is EXTREMELY overrated

12 hours ago

GangsterCat said:
Toshiya0 said:

there is no point talking to supreme white knight like him, just add to ignore list and you are done.

If you're going to insult me, at least use something that applies, and at least quote me.

12 hours ago

Kittens-kun said:
Toshiya0 said:

I see. So were just trolling. You sure got me there. Carry on.

12 hours ago

Toshiya0 said:
Kittens-kun said:

You're not trolling, but a lot of people definitely are. You just don't seem to acknowledge that there are two sides to the coin here, and think that fanboys are the only issue.

11 hours ago

Kittens-kun said:
Toshiya0 said:

Sure, you're 1 against the universe ... and you still thinks you're right at why you think.. you're disgusting and in the end i may pity you :D ... keep trolling and maybe you will get a ban :p

11 hours ago

Kittens-kun said:
Toshiya0 said:

You're not trolling, but a lot of people definitely are. You just don't seem to acknowledge that there are two sides to the coin here, and think that fanboys are the only issue.

I fail to understand why you're so sensitive to criticism about an anime. People can discuss whatever they want. But in the end, they're non-consequential. No matter how much people say they like or hate an anime, it will have no impact on the amount of enjoyment other people will have when watching said anime. No sane person is going to read through thousand of forum posts to validate their love/hatred.

11 hours ago

Toshiya0 said:
Kittens-kun said:

I fail to understand why you're so sensitive to criticism about an anime. People can discuss whatever they want. But in the end, they're non-consequential. No matter how much people say they like or hate an anime, it will have no impact on the amount of enjoyment other people will have when watching said anime. No sane person is going to read through thousand of forum posts to validate their love/hatred.

I fail to see why you can't understand the difference between criticism and trolling.

@Zuerchtein-Mario It's hilarious that you think I'M the one who's trolling.

11 hours ago

Kittens-kun said:
Toshiya0 said:

I fail to see why you can't understand the difference between criticism and trolling.

@Zuerchtein-Mario It's hilarious that you think I'M the one who's trolling.

Read my post again.

11 hours ago

@Kittens-kun What a troll!!!!

6 hours ago
Total overrated.

Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]