Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Post New Reply
Feb 4, 4:21 AM

emergencybacon said:
Its by far the most visually stunning anime to come out in a long time, so of course people are going to talk about it.

Houseki no Kuni sends its regards. But I mostly agree with your other points, it's definitely not trash.
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.

Feb 4, 4:34 AM
Loli Protector

it was made by kyoani so ofc its gonna be popular tho

Feb 4, 5:55 AM

JackyOhayo said:
emergencybacon said:
Its by far the most visually stunning anime to come out in a long time, so of course people are going to talk about it.

Houseki no Kuni sends its regards. But I mostly agree with your other points, it's definitely not trash.

Oh yeah, I still haven't seen Houseki no Kuni. Its on my plan to watch list; Ive got a lot of catching up to do.

Feb 4, 7:01 AM

show is soo damn boring..

Feb 4, 6:51 PM

I'm going to finish it, but right now it seems to be a waste of time, tbh
Ofc everyone thinks different, but i cant seem to understand the high appraisal so far.

!

Feb 5, 12:20 AM
It's an excellent show in pretty much every department. Not everyone is suitably mentally equipped to appreciate it so they may find it boring.

Feb 5, 12:41 AM
ya....u r kinda right!!!..........like a month ago its first episode didnt even release....and the people juz started giving it ratings....it was like there in the top 20's...........juz those 4 trailers had been released and the people juz blindly gave it ratings......

Feb 5, 8:12 AM

I like KyoAni and I like this kind of stories but I feel like this is a bit overhyped and yes, overrated as of now. I don't dislike it though, I expect to be indifferent towards the end and get a pleasant experience reading the novel.
Just because it's KyoAni doesn't mean it will be a good show, and it doesn't have anything to peculiar or characteristic besides the art (character design is pretty much the same as other kyoani works actually) and animation.

Feb 5, 8:15 AM

Ghoul_Keeper said:
ya....u r kinda right!!!..........like a month ago its first episode didnt even release....and the people juz started giving it ratings....it was like there in the top 20's...........juz those 4 trailers had been released and the people juz blindly gave it ratings......
I believe the first episodes were available in theaters back in 2017 so no.

Feb 5, 8:28 AM
this show is severely overrated. Lol like im serious.
Well what is good with this show? good animation. Thats it.
others? - characters, plot, music?- bad really bad
characters lack of depth and boring. The story doesnt go anywhere
I would love an anime with good plot and character but with poor art more than this anime.
Like this anime gets score above 8. Like for real? Like i wont give it higher than 4/10
3/10 is consider as pity score.

Feb 5, 7:59 PM
Ffion said:
Ghoul_Keeper said:
I believe the first episodes were available in theaters back in 2017 so no.
dude.....but the end will be great..... we juz have to wait ....ya i agree the shows overrated.....but it will eventually be good

Feb 6, 3:10 AM

Need more hypes and high ratings

Feb 6, 4:29 AM
Reshiram_IX said:
It’s a beautifuly animated slice of life, with likable characters, believeable world, and done by the infamous Kyoto Animation. What’s not to like?

I didn't understand on the "slice of life" part.
And her steely hands can perform just like normal human hands?

Feb 6, 1:57 PM

Sossig said:
Reshiram_IX said:
It’s a beautifuly animated slice of life, with likable characters, believeable world, and done by the infamous Kyoto Animation. What’s not to like?

I didn't understand on the "slice of life" part.
And her steely hands can perform just like normal human hands?

Not to mention that she's pretty damn inhuman.

Feb 6, 6:13 PM

Now looking at the anime - it's not overrated.
It's just reaaaaallly not for everyone
Violet is mental, she can be boring to a lot of people, and she is the right way to create a Mary Sue character, but regardless she is a Mary Sue.
The development took 3 episodes for Violet to get to where she is now, meaning it has a realistic approach to its character development, which may rub people the wrong way.
It's a slice of life/bitter sweet romance anime, which WILL rub people the wrong way.

Working with mental people, having to deal with english major's, and so forth would help people understand and relate if they don't find the anime interesting.
It's not badly written, it's not ugly, I just find it a bit to close to home for some peoples taste and too far away for others.
Fun Fact: Goro Akechi Loki likes pancakes kill me
And dick🍆💦

Feb 7, 12:29 AM

Dlwuik said:
Siul-08 said:

You dont need to have fights every episode to be a good anime, fate was boring until the end, this still have a long way to go and its good

fate/zero was entertaining and good from the start, you're just too UNCULTURED to understand why it's so good.

[Break English]
I think violet is indeed overvalued. At the moment
But
>UNCULTURED
There's no accounting for tastes. Different values.
>fate was boring until the end
Already saw "The Mummy Returns (2001)" and "The Dark Knight (2008)" and "FINAL FANTASY VII (1997)" and "kaiju movie"?
Modified by wester, Feb 7, 3:08 AM

Feb 7, 12:31 AM

It's really good to me, although the age gap between Gilbert and Violet makes me sick.

Btw, Gilbert is best boi. >.<
Modified by UltimateFujoshi, Feb 7, 12:36 AM

Kacchan~

Feb 7, 12:44 AM

As someone who is not particularly enjoying it so far, I still don't think there's such a thing as 'overrated'.

Feb 7, 12:47 AM

I agree, the anime was extremely overrated. I mean, I enjoy it so far and I think it's alright. But the amount of praise it is getting seems a bit much in my own opinion

Feb 7, 6:29 AM

This show doesn't sit right with me. Not just the story(which I can't be bothered to complain about) but even the visuals. Yes, it may be one of the best looking and animated show that came out recently, but the way they utilize it is somehow stilted and awkward. It may boast its use of body language, but some scenes just clashes with the show itself (case in point, use of useless montages in ep 1 to show fast passage of time when unneeded and even clash with the slow pacing)
Also, making Violet emotionless and a blank slate is pretty cheap, IMO. Developing her is really easy when you do that. Any development on her part is really noticeable and is better since by being nothing you can only go up, right? Effective? Yes. Cheap, uninspired, and bland? Definitely.

This show is really overhyped. I mean, the ratings especially before it aired show it. This is a RATING website after all. The only way for people to show their hype is by scoring it high. Popularity doesn't matter since being popular means it is good or controversial or just marketed really well.
With an EXTREMELY HIGH preliminary ratings, people whose expectations are met(good for them) will surely defend that high rating but a lot of those who were hyped but whose expectations(from the inital buzz) were not met(sometimes even if its just a little bit below than that of the MAL score), they will say it is overrated. Simple as that.

As for me, its definitely overrated.

Feb 7, 6:47 AM

mcrta_weeb said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is EXTREMELY overrated? Only 1 or 2 episodes are out and the first one was quite bland in my opinion but everone is praising it to high heaven?
kyoani as always beautiful animation , bland story . and i dont care of anyones argument . this is my opinion, almost all the recent shows that kyoani produce is like this
Modified by Gellal23, Feb 7, 6:51 AM

Feb 7, 7:18 AM

Gellal23 said:
mcrta_weeb said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is EXTREMELY overrated? Only 1 or 2 episodes are out and the first one was quite bland in my opinion but everone is praising it to high heaven?
kyoani as always beautiful animation , bland story . and i dont care of anyones argument . this is my opinion, almost all the recent shows that kyoani produce is like this

Koe no Katachi was pretty good though.
I think they just have really bad taste when it comes to works they choose to adapt.

Feb 7, 7:20 AM

Kou39 said:
Gellal23 said:

I think they just have really bad taste when it comes to works they choose to adapt.
Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Feb 7, 7:35 AM
Uhmm.. i dont know why you people hate it, its indeed cliche, just some one who dont know what is love,and want to know what love is (though, im my self dont know what loove is). I kinda like violet though, she is raised not as human but as tools, so when some one hold her dear, she doesnt know what or how to react to such thing.
And some one just mentioned gintama series, indeed it is hyped, for some one who watch 300+ episode and know how the character interact, how good the writing and animation is, and of course each season wasnt disapoint the fans, whos wont hype when it out?
For violet, this show is just not for every people, and some of the poster here said that why people in this anime need some one to write their letter, the show clearly show us the reason, first, not all people could write, second not all people can write a word as what his/hers mean, thats where the doll write for the client
Modified by de_struct, Feb 7, 7:38 AM

Feb 7, 5:27 PM

Dara said:
Kou39 said:

Agreed. Couldn't have said it better myself.
no spare koe no katachi imean in series only ,

Feb 7, 6:45 PM

Kou39 said:
Gellal23 said:

Koe no Katachi was mostly an adaptation. It doesn't count. Most of kyoani's other works have far more original content than knk.

Feb 7, 11:25 PM

Dlwuik said:
i am raging autistically because fate/zero 2nd season is no longer in the top 50. this anime is boring imo.
Dlwuik said:
i am raging autistically because fate/zero 2nd season is no longer in the top 50. this anime is boring imo.

Yeah, but on the bright side Violet Evergarden straight up has Full-Metal Saber so its a compromise. I did just recently watch all Fate-series & franchise affiliations (with the exception of getting ready to start Prisma Illya) so I feel ya on the F/Z, Rider is an OG

Feb 8, 2:50 AM
I just love how some people react if anyone says they don´t like it or find this show boring ^^
"oh it´s just not for everyone"
"it´s about emotions and human growth, so of course it´s not full of action"
"you must be mentally prepared to like this"

Feb 8, 2:51 AM
Toshiya0 said:
Rufix said:

Well, your likes and dislikes are pretty valid way of judging your credibility in cases like this. People who have harems or shounens at the top of their lists, with very little other genres rated decently, really shouldn't have a voice in this matter. It shows favouritism and hence contradicts objectivity. If I showed a great show, like Bakemonogatari, to a guy who thinks that Naruto is a pinnacle of anime, of course he won't like it, despite all important measures saying it's one of the best anime of all time.

Your inability to see anything wrong with it tells me a lot about you too.

And that's perfectly fine with me. Just one thing... You can't blame or degrade people for things you're doing yourself.

Feb 8, 2:55 AM
killoff said:
I just love how some people react if anyone says they don´t like it or find this show boring ^^
"oh it´s just not for everyone"
"it´s about emotions and human growth, so of course it´s not full of action"
"you must be mentally prepared to like this"

The problem is, a lot of the critics are people who find Cowboy Bebop to be a masterpiece (it's good, but not that good), or Naruto to be the pinnacle of anime. It's like an elementary school kid, trying to say that higher maths is stupid and useless, after learning how to multiply. I have yet to find a critic, whose critique is not based on the fact that he dislikes Violet. You can dislike a character, and still rate something highly, due to all the other factors. So this creates a distaste for show's fans. Of course, people are free to have an opinion, but don't expect it to be found valid, especially if your expertise in the field is limited, and critic extremely one-sided. Look at the comment below and you should understand, unless you're an SJW for whom ignorance is bliss.

Gellal23 said:
mcrta_weeb said:

In other words, you're just being ignorant and fine with it. That's fair I guess.
Modified by Rufix, Feb 8, 2:58 AM

Feb 8, 3:17 AM
I kinda like this show.
The art is beautiful, the OST is very good, Violet is a good character with great weaknesses she has to overcome and now after episode 5 some conflict starts to arise.
Is it the best shit ever? No. Is it the worst shit? naw. It's pretty much there where its rated atm. around 8ish.

Feb 8, 7:29 AM

Rufix said:

And that's perfectly fine with me. Just one thing... You can't blame or degrade people for things you're doing yourself.

I agree. That's why I didn't participate in the mud throwing.

Feb 11, 1:16 PM

Interrrrrpetgyu said:
Look at your favorites before calling something overrated
How will I ever recover?

Feb 11, 8:59 PM
Nah its rating is good
And i still didn't see any mistake or plot holes and the ones people mentioned aren't close to mistakes

Feb 11, 9:21 PM

kirakiii said:
Nah its rating is good
And i still didn't see any mistake or plot holes and the ones people mentioned aren't close to mistakes

This is a very insightful comment.

Feb 11, 10:24 PM
The problem with this show isn't Violet. It's perfectly valid to have a titular character who is emotionless, blunt, robotic but also honest and steadfast. A lot of good can come from watching her grow as a person and try her best to overcome some PTSD (which is barely there. A big mistake imo)

The most glaring issue of this show is the setting and the other characters. In this world, the people who write letters for other are referred to as Dolls because - get this - some scientist invented a doll that write things for his sick wife some time ago. What kind of twisted logic is that? You invented a robot that writes letters so now all these other people who do the same thing are called Dolls? Coincidentally, they all appeared to female. Does that mean only females can become a "doll"? There is also no mention of how one can distinguish a REAL auto memoir doll from a human copyist, so everyone working at the office could be a robot for all you know. Not to mention the fact that using a robot to help others write a letter is a dubious concept in the first place. Unless we're talking about high functioning robots like the ones from Plastic Memories, how is a robotic auto memoir doll more suited to pen letters than humans? Pretty sure they would send out shit like the ones Violet wrote on her first day. So does that mean robot in this confusing world can write better letters than humans? You wouldn't know jack shit unless you looked it up in a wiki, and even then the info there is as confusing as anything.

"Currently, Auto Memories Dolls are sold at a reasonably low price, and there are types that can be rented or borrowed out to people who need their services. They are meant for processing everything said by the voice of their established master"

So whatever Violet and the gangs are doing in the post office is completely different to what a REAL doll would do, but they're just called Doll because fuck logic.

Violet Evergarden isn't Ergo Proxy or Ghost in the Shell. (or maybe its trying to be? why else would they call copywriters "dolls". ) I shouldn't have to look through two wikipedia just to figure out whether or not Violet or any of the "dolls" are real human beings or robots (and I still aren't quite sure.)

None of the places or events have any meanings. Lyon. Army. Liben. The war. For 4 episodes you barely find out anything about the world or the people who work with Violet. The interaction between different characters are stilted, overt and feels extremely artificial.

If this were supposed to be a character-driven story, the conflict should be revolved around Violet and her dealing with her past and uncovering the truth. Every episode can start with Violet writing a letter to her major, and the letter she wrote become increasingly human and desperate as the show went on. This would have given the show a much-needed focus and help drives the narrative forward.

Instead, the show is about Violet going around helping a bunch of random people that either don't get enough screen time to matter or are discarded immediately after one episode. Their problems have no lasting impact to the story. The one exception being episode 3, which would have given the show some great depth if Luculia's plot-line lasted more than one episode.

We're 5 episodes into the series, and the show has yet to introduce any significant conflict or anything thats remotely "fun". None of the side characters feel important or are given enough for you to really care about. It's not a slice of life because nothing Violet experience can be classified as "life" since the setting is convoluted. It's not a comedy or a romance or tragedy or even a drama because there is barely any and whatever exists are poorly constructed like the one in episode 2.

As of now, this show is a pretentious mess that's pretty much about nothing. It's not smart enough to make you think, or fun enough to make you laugh. There's zero tension or depth and as much as I like Violet as a "concept", the character simply can't carry the show for 6 episodes, let alone 12.
Modified by Showatt, Feb 11, 10:32 PM

Feb 14, 3:08 AM
I love how the author of this topic opens this topic open to discussion, but that in the end, it does not come over to answer any more. What cowardice, when we open this kind of subject should be assumed instead of hiding.

Feb 14, 5:26 AM

UltimaWeaponEX said:
I love how the author of this topic opens this topic open to discussion, but that in the end, it does not come over to answer any more. What cowardice, when we open this kind of subject should be assumed instead of hiding.

he did respond , just 4 comments above yours ..... You re insulting someone of being a coward for nothing ..... at least he had the gut to tell that this show was "overrated" ...

Feb 14, 7:24 AM

UltimaWeaponEX said:
Why would that be cowardice, I just have better things to do and I changed my mind I love this anime now. I'll probably delete this thread but it's still interesting to read the responses.

Feb 14, 7:36 AM

no, it's not overrated

Feb 14, 6:13 PM
TriZen said:
Nah, most people are praising it for animation and art. For characters and story, majority is in wait and see position. Again, is it so important to open a new thread about how overrated an anime is when you dislike it but other people seems to like it ? The answer is no. Tbh feels like most of the disappointment toward the anime comes from hype and unrealistic expectations from the anime community itself. Only few people are able to articulate their critics well, most just uses catchphrases without any weight.

Exactly that! Í cant find better words to show my opinion!

Feb 14, 7:52 PM

Showatt said:

As of now, this show is a pretentious mess that's pretty much about nothing. It's not smart enough to make you think, or fun enough to make you laugh. There's zero tension or depth and as much as I like Violet as a "concept", the character simply can't carry the show for 6 episodes, let alone 12.

I'd hardly call the show pretentious as it isn't trying to appear deep or cultured. I think a few of the first couple episodes missed the mark because they didn't follow the LN, namely the Iris and Erica who were anime original characters. Their stories felt shallow in comparison to episodes 5 and 6 where we can see the meat of the story taking off. Violet is becoming increasingly more nuanced and I think that as a show about Violet's internal struggles it can easily stretch out the the entire 14 episode runtime. It may not be as entertaining for some to watch a plot about internal conflicts rather than external conflicts, but the story is there and it's told through fragmented experiences, which form the overall plot of Violet's life.
Showatt said:

If this were supposed to be a character-driven story, the conflict should be revolved around Violet and her dealing with her past and uncovering the truth. Every episode can start with Violet writing a letter to her major, and the letter she wrote become increasingly human and desperate as the show went on. This would have given the show a much-needed focus and help drives the narrative forward.

I think it is more effective for Violet to learn about humanity by talking to other humans, rather than writing to a dead man. Also she will learn just as much about herself moving forward as she would focusing on the past. I think that in order for Violet to mature she needs to do exactly what she's doing in the show, rather than playing detective about her past.

Feb 14, 8:24 PM

I read the whole novel & I can promise you so far up to episode 5 almost nothing is similar. The novel itself is a collection of short stories. KyoAni's been trying to string it together with somewhat of a "storyline" that didn't even exist in the book.
Unfortunately, understanding Violet as a character takes a lot of time & is backed almost entirely through the exploration with other characters that are indeed only one-time characters.
Her backstory episode (which better be longer than 1 episode because god damn it took me ages to read) should be more interesting than what's been shown so far. Even reading the book I was itching to get to the infamous backstory chapter & it did not disappoint so yes, it's going to be a wait. Hopefully not too long of a wait though. The anime is disjointed, however, because the book itself is also disjointed.

Feb 15, 4:42 AM
jaklefire said:

I'd hardly call the show pretentious as it isn't trying to appear deep or cultured. I think a few of the first couple episodes missed the mark because they didn't follow the LN, namely the Iris and Erica who were anime original characters.

It is kind of pretentious to call copywriters who work at the post offices "Dolls" simply because some scientist invented some robot that knows how to use the typewriter.

The work they do aren't even remotely similar to what an actual Auto Memoir Doll does, so why are they called dolls again?

jaklefire said:

I think it is more effective for Violet to learn about humanity by talking to other humans, rather than writing to a dead man. Also she will learn just as much about herself moving forward as she would focusing on the past. I think that in order for Violet to mature she needs to do exactly what she's doing in the show, rather than playing detective about her past.

You can still have a show about violet going about talking to people and trying to grow as a human being. The letters help provide a focus for her changing feelings. Writing letters to the Major can reveal to the audience how she's changing through her writing, which in terms give more insight into her internal conflicts. This will at least give the first five episode some focus. The whole reason why she's doing what she's doing is because she wants to understand what the Major meant by loving her, after all. Makes no sense she wouldn't at least write one or two letter, especially when she's asked to practice in episode 3.

Instead, what you have is a show that spends the entire first half of the season telling stories that are thinly plotted, with no compelling characters and barely anything happening.

If you like it and thinks its a masterpiece, that's great.
For me, I consider VE to be a big disappointment and I wasn't even that hyped, to begin with. I just don't know what I'm supposed to be liking, or which part of everything that's happened thus far makes people think "zomg this anime a masterpiece".

Modified by Showatt, Feb 15, 4:53 AM

Feb 15, 8:06 AM
JackyOhayo said:
emergencybacon said:

Kimi no Na wa and Garden of Words also weren't that long ago.

Feb 15, 9:28 AM

Niello said:
JackyOhayo said:

dont compare a weekly running anime series to movies.
Chimera-Ant Arc sucks
A1-Pictures is great
Lelouch is alive

Feb 15, 11:42 AM
After the six episode, i can say that... YES, is overrated.

Feb 15, 1:59 PM
Galaxy__ said:
Niello said:

dont compare a weekly running anime series to movies.

But people still watch movies, so it's still not the most visually impressive to come out in years.

Feb 15, 3:40 PM

Niello said:

Nah, Garden of Words came out 5 years ago (gorgeous though) and Your Name wasn't THAT impressive.
Not changing this signature until P.A. Works announces 2nd season of Shirobako.

Feb 15, 9:00 PM

Best anime of this season. Nuffsaid.
"The opposite of boredom is not pleasure... but excitement. People will gladly seek out any kind of excitement, even pain." -Makishima Shougo

Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »