Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jan 19, 3:20 PM

RickSuarez said:
RealityRush said:

Saying it is the "best anime ever" without explaining why is absolutely just as vapid, but those have not come up much so far and there isn't a thread on here dedicated to that. I largely see people saying it is "overrated", which as Kittens mentioned, is one of the laziest, most empty criticisms you can level at something without any evidence and is used for baiting in nearly all cases I've seen it on here.

Violet isn't getting a pass and that's friggin' absurd to suggest it, nor do you get to disregard something I've said constantly regardless of the show being discussed. It's a shit criticism on any show, as is calling something "tropey" as if that is inherently a negative.

These baiting threads are worthless and almost always devoid of useful discussion, and I wish the mods would just delete them on sight.

Why do you want censorship? let people discuss in a civil manner, don't get triggered by others' opinions.

Because baiting is a waste of forum space. Also, are you guys all related or something? How many times is someone gonna say "don't get triggered" like they are pulling a 'gotcha!' moment on me. No one is triggered, these threads simply don't need to exist.

Jan 19, 3:21 PM

Can people just stop using this braindead term, for fuck's sake? There isn't such thing as an overrated anime.

Jan 19, 3:21 PM

Imaishi said:
the looks alone put it above most airing anime
we'll se if it develops into anything particularly interesting, but so far it's enjoyable on production value alone

I had this mindsent after the first episode, but this episode was really good in my opinion. Let's hope it keeps getting better.

Jan 19, 3:34 PM

As an anime-only watcher, I thought the first episode was beautiful, but suffered from some weird pacing and editing issues.

Second episode flowed a lot better, and then I learned it's because it was mostly anime-original. Might explain why source-only readers were upset; while others who don't look at the source material enjoyed the second episode a lot more.

In any case, it's definitely a slow burn type similar to Mahoutsukai no Yome, but personally I enjoyed this show much much more compared to the Wit one. Might be because VE is targeted at the more mature crowd, while MnY/AMB tries to appeal more to the younger uns.

Is it overrated? Depends if you're the target audience. It's a visual masterpiece for sure; but the story and enjoyment level is still to be decided. Overhyped? Maybe; but then name one anime series that has better art and animation...

Jan 19, 3:35 PM

it's at least gorgeous to look at no matter how u feel about the story

just another role
that you do

Jan 19, 4:32 PM

I've been looking forward to this show since the first CM came out two years ago - I'm a sucker for 19th-20th century era European settings - but I am under no illusion as to the quality of this show. Yes, it's very good, but it's not the masterpiece everyone seems to be making it out to be. The "overrated" backlash seems to be the result of the usual glorification of KyoAni by their worshipers in the western fandom. I'll have to wait until it finishes before I can give my final thoughts though.

Jan 19, 7:57 PM

Eye candy, the only reason I haven't dropped it.

Jan 20, 12:03 AM

You can't really say something is "overrated" or "underrated" until it is over.

It could be like S;G where it has a slow start.

Or it could be like Inuyashiki where it has a rushed ending.

It is unfair to judge something before it is completed.

Cats are the superior creatures!

Jan 20, 12:06 AM

Irisumi said:

It's also unfair to judge it before it had even a single episode aired, but plenty of people were doing that, enough to get it to #26 in fact.

Jan 20, 12:51 AM

Bobby2Hands said:
Irisumi said:

It's also unfair to judge it before it had even a single episode aired, but plenty of people were doing that, enough to get it to #26 in fact.

And that's also MAL's fault for listing it as a Summer 2017 anime.

Jan 20, 2:24 AM

I think it was overhyped that I had a very high expectations on this show, so yeah the first episode disappointed the heck outta me, but I reckon it's too early to judge this show. So, give me like 3 weeks, I might agree with you. Need more episodes to have a judgment of this show.
----------------------------------------
"NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~ NNAAAA~"
NANACHI (MADE IN ABYSS), 2017
----------------------------------------

Jan 20, 2:55 AM

Bobby2Hands said:
Irisumi said:

exactly, those people who rated it so high before it even aired are the ones "judging"" it

Jan 20, 3:00 AM

This anime hasn't disappointed me at all after 2 episodes. Besides I know a fanpage that analyses the episodes weekly in super details to help me appreciate rightfully, but it's only in Vietnamese so sucks to be you.

#VEforanimeoftheyear

Jan 20, 3:05 AM

mcrta_weeb said:
Bobby2Hands said:

exactly, those people who rated it so high before it even aired are the ones "judging"" it

I'm trying to be neutral here.
The people who rate it a 10 before it even aired are being unfair too.
We've only seen a 7th of the series so far.
People need to hold back before making judgement.
Modified by MaeOrchid, Jan 20, 3:32 AM

Cats are the superior creatures!

Jan 20, 6:28 AM

a bit... The story is still developing so we might see a good or a bad one. depends. But the animation already amazed us.

Jan 20, 6:38 AM

It's fairly disappointing in story and character department. It may get worse but we will see

Jan 20, 7:29 AM

Aslt said:
Can people just stop using this braindead term, for fuck's sake? There isn't such thing as an overrated anime.

Cambridge said:

overrated
adjective UK ​ /ˌəʊ.vəˈreɪ.tɪd/ US ​ /ˌoʊ.vɚˈreɪ.t̬ɪd/
If something or someone is overrated, that person or thing is considered to be better or more important than they really are.

Why is it braindead term? I think this term fits quite well here.

Jan 20, 7:31 AM

Kou39 said:
Aslt said:

Cambridge said:

overrated
adjective UK ​ /ˌəʊ.vəˈreɪ.tɪd/ US ​ /ˌoʊ.vɚˈreɪ.t̬ɪd/
If something or someone is overrated, that person or thing is considered to be better or more important than they really are.

Because it makes absolutely no sense when used for describing entertainment, and it's not a criticism.

Jan 20, 7:40 AM

Kittens-kun said:
Kou39 said:

Because it makes absolutely no sense when used for describing entertainment, and it's not a criticism.

Hm, dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't see a problem in using this term to describe a situation or circumstance.

It's not a criticism, but afaik people have given their reasons/criticisms to why they think this show is overrated.

Jan 20, 7:41 AM
its not overrated
its 8.5+ rating is totally fair
beautiful anime

Jan 20, 8:23 AM
RickSuarez said:
RealityRush said:

Saying it is the "best anime ever" without explaining why is absolutely just as vapid, but those have not come up much so far and there isn't a thread on here dedicated to that. I largely see people saying it is "overrated", which as Kittens mentioned, is one of the laziest, most empty criticisms you can level at something without any evidence and is used for baiting in nearly all cases I've seen it on here.

Violet isn't getting a pass and that's friggin' absurd to suggest it, nor do you get to disregard something I've said constantly regardless of the show being discussed. It's a shit criticism on any show, as is calling something "tropey" as if that is inherently a negative.

These baiting threads are worthless and almost always devoid of useful discussion, and I wish the mods would just delete them on sight.

Why do you want censorship? let people discuss in a civil manner, don't get triggered by others' opinions.

1. With all due respect.You are in no position to talk about baiting and empty criticisms after that absurdly FOOLISH first comment you posted.
That was a counterargument to someone thinking it's overrated? lol
Hooray for useful discussions...
Someone at the very least tries hiding their hypocrisy you know...Imagine if you actually started off with something useful...imagine

2.Check the meaning of overrated and learn the difference between someone stating their opinion based on their experience and criticizing a show
...And btw, if we're talking about criticism..(also known as someone having trash taste to fanboys and fan girls of this)...the people who don't like aspects of this anime have by far had the most valid points. The response to criticism that isn't just mindlessly gushing over the visuals, music and "OMG I got feels!!" for a week is totally similar to your initial "shounentard" response so it's not like there's really any useful discussion on this show in the first place lol (almost similar to the discussions on Darling in the franxx mostly being centered around the studios and staff that worked on it...mostly....but at least a different opinion on that one isn't met with lame excuses for insults and telling people to keep their opinions to themselves)
Trust me, I've seen enough comments reminiscent of yours to know this show has heroes of justice to cover up any flaw pointed out with the classic go watch your fast paced shounens to even people who don't like those types of shows ( and you're talking about inherent negativity? hehe...sure...of course you'd know how that works)..
...This was partly the reason I replied to you in the first place...seen way too many of your kind and it's slowly becoming annoying but whatever....I can't stop you and your friends

Oh..a recent one I saw you can use next time...say the person is childish for not enjoying Violet evergarden and that the reason they gave for not liking violet's character is retarded so they should drop the show and let the adults keep talking...(cough...talking about "OMG! The visuals! I cried! That ending!!"...repeat)

3. A thread is made when someone feels they need room to give light to an issue or express their opinion or how they feel about a certain topic..
Geez..I wonder why this thread popped up and not the opposite..hmm...rocket science sure is difficult
I'd bet so much that you wouldn't have been triggered if someone was like this show is underrated... Would be so great to see you there like, "The mods should take this bait thread down"

4. but those have not come up so far
Now you're either just honestly plain ignorant, trolling or overly sensitive to opinions that conflict with yours.

5. If you don't like what someone else has to say...beat it. (You know..just like how you were telling them to drop the show)
It's the internet and I'm assuming that the person who made this thread hasn't tied you to a chair and threatened to kill your family if you don't stick around. You can always just choose to ignore something.
Saying that the mods should delete a thread just cause you don't like what someone else thinks....grow up

Find a safe space if this word triggers you cause..I'll say it again.. I like it but it's definitely overrated.
If you have a problem with me or anyone else thinking that...bye..that's your problem

The more I come across people like this the more this anime starts leaving a bad taste in my mouth nkt
Modified by JudoJD, Jan 20, 8:33 AM

Jan 20, 8:31 AM

We can't judge from just 2 episodes, though its score isn't too low or high. But I can say for sure that it is/was overhyped.

Jan 20, 9:12 AM

CEASE THESE THREADS AT ONCE

Jan 20, 9:14 AM

Kittens-kun said:
ZettaiRyouiki said:

Evergreen post. This and all other KyoAni shows only are popular because muh based KyoAni and muh quality animation.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a crazy parallel universe where JC Staff did Clannad and KyoAni did Little Busters unlike here, and bet the MAL from that universe has Refrain in the top 10 forever and ever while After Story can't break even top 250.

Nope. They're popular because they're good shows.

are you implying that naruto and bleach are good because they are popular? no, the popularity of a certain show doesn't mean it's good.

Jan 20, 9:47 AM

S-quare22 said:
Kittens-kun said:

Nope. They're popular because they're good shows.

are you implying that naruto and bleach are good because they are popular? no, the popularity of a certain show doesn't mean it's good.

No, that's not what I'm implying. I'm saying "hey, maybe one of the reasons they're popular is because they're good shows?" I'm not saying popular ≠ good.

Jan 20, 10:22 AM

When will people shut up about top 50 anime and low score/high score raging BS.Does a series being rated 8.5+ or lower than 7 really change YOUR OWN thoughts on series and the overall enjoyment you had AFTER you've seen that X series yourself?I don't understand why do people care about it so much that they create weekly (sometimes daily) threads about X anime and scream how it's overrated/underrated.

Jan 20, 10:43 AM
Kittens-kun said:
S-quare22 said:

No, that's not what I'm implying. I'm saying "hey, maybe one of the reasons they're popular is because they're good shows?" I'm not saying popular ≠ good.

Then say 'they are popular because many people like it'. You are implying that popular is good in the first comment.

Jan 20, 10:47 AM

I am looking at this show and boi............when did Artoria start cosplaying o.O

The sig is actually so badly cut I'll have to redo it.......tomorrow

Jan 20, 11:23 AM

Burguburu said:
Kittens-kun said:

Then say 'they are popular because many people like it'. You are implying that popular is good in the first comment.

No I'm no. Not at all.

Jan 20, 12:05 PM
overrated is an understatement
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 20, 12:10 PM
You have no right to complain about stuff being overrated with Code Geass in your favorites, OP.

Jan 20, 1:35 PM

Kou39 said:
Kittens-kun said:

Hm, dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't see a problem in using this term to describe a situation or circumstance.

It's not a criticism, but afaik people have given their reasons/criticisms to why they think this show is overrated.

I'm confused too as to why people think overrated is a buzzword. I can't recall a situation when someone did use the term overrated without any contextual meaning to it. My guess is either they don't understand what overrated means or they just don't know what is a buzzword.

Jan 20, 1:35 PM

AmMar-Sama said:
You have no right to complain about stuff being overrated with Code Geass in your favorites, OP.
Literally anyone can call anything overrated, doesn't matter what they think isn't. That is your opinion. And mine is that VE is overrated.

Jan 20, 1:54 PM

mcrta_weeb said:
And mine is that VE is overrated.
I agree with you
KyoAni is one of my fav. studios, but Violet Evergarden has a really big problem for a drama anime; The Main Heroine.
Violet is a boring, unsymphatic and undynamic character and the rest of the cast are non-existent. For a drama anime the most important point is a great cast and VE doesnt have that for me.
2 or 3 episodes and after that i hope the heroine and the cast will be better, otherwise its a drop for me

Jan 20, 2:12 PM

Hrybami said:
Kou39 said:

I'm confused too as to why people think overrated is a buzzword. I can't recall a situation when someone did use the term overrated without any contextual meaning to it. My guess is either they don't understand what overrated means or they just don't know what is a buzzword.

I understand what both overrated and buzzword mean. It's a buzzword.

Jan 20, 3:19 PM
Will finish.

if after I finish and it's still a waste of time. I'm going to judge animes based on first 2-3 episodes.

Jan 20, 7:40 PM

you should rate a series for what it is, not to balanece its score on mal based on your subjective opinion. That said this show doesn't deserve 4s based on 2 episodes.

"wuaah 2/10 because it's popular and it's getting lot praise"

most people on this site

Jan 20, 8:43 PM

Riahisama said:

most people on this site

People were giving 9/10's before they even watched episode 1 which is just as bad imo which created a false sense that this was an amazing anime, so people's reaction's are to be expected.

This is one of these mainstream anime that people will like because it looks pretty and will tell a very safe story with a probably very typical happy ending like other KyoAni stuff.

Just because I and many others don't like it so far does not mean others cant enjoy it but its comment's like this that need to go.

AdoSama said:
I am looking at this show and boi............when did Artoria start cosplaying o.O

You didn't know this is an alternate fate universe where Saber became a typewriter
Modified by Fayt89, Jan 20, 8:58 PM

Jan 20, 10:32 PM

Fayt89 said:
Riahisama said:

most people on this site

People were giving 9/10's before they even watched episode 1 which is just as bad imo which created a false sense that this was an amazing anime, so people's reaction's are to be expected.

This is one of these mainstream anime that people will like because it looks pretty and will tell a very safe story with a probably very typical happy ending like other KyoAni stuff.

Just because I and many others don't like it so far does not mean others cant enjoy it but its comment's like this that need to go.

AdoSama said:

You didn't know this is an alternate fate universe where Saber became a typewriter

A lot of people do actually do that, so it's not like he's wrong.

Jan 21, 3:05 AM
Misunderstood is the accurate term I would say than overrated, because I think this is a stellar show. From what I'm seeing the problem seems to be that the show was perceived as something that it isn't before it aired, which is fair considering the overhype with Violet Evergarden.

Everyone has a different idea of what they consider as good plot, storyboarding, pacing, characterization, etc. so that's why if one is recommended a show, they will have specific expectations as to what it will be. It's already hard enough to get into a show with an open mind because of our personal preferences and bias. This is why I think is important to start a show without prior expectations, because that way it will be easier to judge the show based on its motives and genre, not from our personal expectations. For example, if someone who values fast paced action, adventure, comedy, and/or shonen genre (which is mainstream, making it all the more difficult for most people to have an open mind) were to be recommended a show that's slow paced drama, romance, and/or tragedy genre, obviously they won't be impressed. But for those who seek to be open minded about different genres and their strengths, let me try to convince you why I think this show is great.

In episode 1 we learn that Violet was a soldier involved in warfare, requiring her to shut down her emotions to carry out the missions efficiently. So feelings like love is naturally alien to her, but just as she was about to find out more about it, she is left in the dark with Gilbert's death. This is shown in short and recurring flashbacks of her past, almost like we're seeing the events from Violet's eyes in a post-war traumatic stress disorder way, allowing for more immersive experience. It also gives the audience short breaks from the slow paced main story line, making the show easier for the brain to keep focus.

Art and animation seems to be praised by all, but it's not just pretty for the sake of being pretty. Pacing the story slowly and in such a meticulously detailed art style and animation allows the show to give emphasis and description to the characters' emotions in an accurate yet subtle manner, which is essential to understanding the weight of the emotions. Kyoto Animation couldn't have been more fitting for such a role. Music I believe it's not even necessary to explain why it's so good.

One of the complaints is that Violet has a bland personality, which is true but something that is essential for the show's set up. Most romance is about the journey of conveying love, but Violet's journey to convey her love is lost and becomes more about understanding love. In this case, starting off with a bland personality is effective, as it is more a coming-of-age romance than actual romance, and starting Violet's character from the ground up leaves potential for massive character development. It's similar to how it's more fun to watch the process of a painting coming alive than simply looking at the finished product, and for this to be possible we need to start with a blank canvas. This also sets up for deeper exploration of romance than just boy meets girl to happily ever after.

Side characters are looking full of potential to be deep and interesting, and we can see that through Hodgins beginning his process of redemption by caring for Violet, Erica mirroring herself in Violet's failures, Cattleya's almost suspiciously deep understanding of human emotions and her relationship with Hodgins, etc.

I could list more things that this show does so well, but I've written enough already so I'll leave that to when the show finishes.

Jan 21, 4:25 AM

Riahisama said:
you should rate a series for what it is, not to balanece its score on mal based on your subjective opinion. That said this show doesn't deserve 4s based on 2 episodes.

most people on this site
But I haven't given it a score yet bc I'm waiting til I finish it so i'm not one of those people. But I still think they're better than ppl who give 10/10 before it fucking aired

Jan 21, 4:29 AM

mcrta_weeb said:
Riahisama said:

most people on this site
But I haven't given it a score yet bc I'm waiting til I finish it so i'm not one of those people. But I still think they're better than ppl who give 10/10 before it fucking aired

How are they better? Both are stupid.

Jan 21, 4:46 AM

I got asleep watching the second episode of this anime.

Jan 21, 5:24 AM
Nah... This just isn't your type of Genre.

Jan 24, 5:36 PM

It's a good anime. But 8/10 at most.

Jan 25, 5:03 AM
AmMar-Sama said:

Code Geass is underrated. It one of the best anime of all time, and it deserve to be on the top 5 list. Not to mention, that Lelouch is one of the best character of all time

Jan 25, 10:47 AM
thepath said:
AmMar-Sama said:

Code Geass is underrated. It one of the best anime of all time, and it deserve to be on the top 5 list. Not to mention, that Lelouch is one of the best character of all time

Lol. Good one.
I also love Lelouch, though - so I can at least understand and somewhat agree with the last bit.

Jan 25, 11:04 AM

Goodness the word "Overrated" riles up the MAL community so much.

Violent Evergarden...

Overrated? No, not really at all.

Overhyped? More like it for a lot.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".

Jan 25, 9:20 PM
Not really overrated as it is overhated. At first before even starting the series, I was worried that it would be a chore to sit through, but I have thorougly enjoyed each episode so far. I guess it's just about how you take this kind of series, in terms of story.

Jan 26, 2:56 AM

It's not overrated, it's more overhyped. Also, don't call it "overrated" when the anime isn't even finished. You're just like the people who call it a masterpiece without it even being finished either.
Violent Evergarden is the new dark souls of being boring :^)

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »