Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Jan 17, 3:55 PM

Am I the only one who thinks this is EXTREMELY overrated? Only 1 or 2 episodes are out and the first one was quite bland in my opinion but everone is praising it to high heaven?

Jan 17, 4:02 PM

Overrated is a stupid buzzword.

Jan 17, 4:08 PM

İ would agree if it was 9+ but 8.68 is fair for what we see so far at least thats what im thinking.

Overhyped is more accurate maybe because some peoples declare this anime of the year before it relased.Rating is only going lower so far so its early to call it overrated and its have potential to deserve all those praises we will wait and see.

Jan 17, 4:12 PM

It doesn't really matter whether it's overhyped or not. At least it's not like a gintama season, 1 episode in and already at the top of the score board. I would say it's score seems pretty fair as of now and it's really too early to be praising it or criticizing it.

Jan 17, 4:13 PM

i am raging autistically because fate/zero 2nd season is no longer in the top 50. this anime is boring imo.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 17, 4:55 PM

I've only seen the first episode so far and ya it ain't the best thing ever, but its pretty much the most hyped show of this season so of course the score is this high right now. It'll probably lose steam as it goes along or do something character/story wise to earn it's high score. And if not what's the big deal of a show having a higher score than you would like it to?

Jan 17, 5:40 PM

Nah, most people are praising it for animation and art. For characters and story, majority is in wait and see position. Again, is it so important to open a new thread about how overrated an anime is when you dislike it but other people seems to like it ? The answer is no. Tbh feels like most of the disappointment toward the anime comes from hype and unrealistic expectations from the anime community itself. Only few people are able to articulate their critics well, most just uses catchphrases without any weight.

Jan 17, 5:44 PM

Too early to say. Tbf I am waiting for 1080p release of 2nd ep., but 1st ep. was KIIIIIINDA boring. I won't deny it's potential though. At least the visuals are fantastic.

Jan 17, 5:50 PM

I finished 2 episodes already and I know why the rage of so many people.

This show is clearly not for edgy teenager who only likes power fantasy, yet people over-hyped it as if all the anime community should watch it.

I personally LOVE this show and how detail the characters emotion and interaction is, but I can understand why edgy teenagers can't take this kind of slow and steady work of art and literature. To me this show character portrayed is much better than Ancient Magus Bride.

Jan 17, 5:59 PM
Ventus_S said:

This show is clearly not for edgy teenager who only likes power fantasy, yet people over-hyped it as if all the anime community should watch it.

I personally LOVE this show and how detail the characters emotion and interaction is, but I can understand why edgy teenagers can't take this kind of slow and steady work of art and literature. To me this show character portrayed is much better than Ancient Magus Bride.

Actually the writing is kind of mediocre. The portrayal of Violet is honestly bad. It's like they can't trust the audience to understand the theme or characters personality unless they find ways to force it down the viewers throat. This include a bunch of scenarios that convey these in the bluntness way with no subtlety, which also happens to be the way they try to create most of the drama so far.
Modified by Niello, Jan 17, 6:02 PM

Jan 17, 6:00 PM

Niello said:
Ventus_S said:

Actually the writing is kind of mediocre.

How about give some examples of the superior writing instead ? (anime only)

Jan 17, 6:04 PM
Ventus_S said:
Niello said:

Actually the writing is kind of mediocre.

Look at my post above, I editted it in while you were writing.

Jan 17, 6:07 PM

Niello said:
Ventus_S said:

So "show not tell" is a bad thing nowadays huh..

OK then. Might as well give more exposition dump like all the 128318 other shows do.

Jan 17, 6:07 PM
I agree. I was disappointed. The moment I hear "I love you" made me realise how cliche it is. I still think it has potential because it has a good premise with the use of letters and stuff. I love the animation too. Waiting for 1080p

Jan 17, 6:35 PM
Ventus_S said:
Niello said:

So "show not tell" is a bad thing nowadays huh..

OK then. Might as well give more exposition dump like all the 128318 other shows do.

Eh...can you actually read my post? It's not about "show don't tell" it's about the scenarios it's using to tell it, the portrayals, the dialogue and the forcefulness. Just because it's attempting a "show don't tell" doesn't automatically makes it good. It needs to do that well.

Jan 17, 6:40 PM

Yep. Apart from the visual side, its nothing groundbreaking/spectacular.

Jan 17, 6:57 PM

I know I should just ignore it, but let me say it anyway, because I don't get how people can ignore it. This show makes no sense. Of course, spoilers until episode 2.

So yeah, although I don't believe overrated is a good word, the anime doesn't deserve all the praise, at least by the writing alone. What is a shame, I usually actually likes Yoshida Reiko's writing.

Let's be fair here. If this was a show by another studio and the animation was mediocre, no one would care about it.

Jan 17, 7:39 PM

What exactly are you expecting? People who rate anime before they air tend to be a little less sensible than average. Sure, there might be a few sane ones who give reasonable scores that slowly climb up or tumble down as the episodes come out, but like I said ON AVERAGE. Most of them just put a 9 or 10 and leave it there.

Actually I'm starting to think that the immediate change in score the moment the show is completed might be a more accurate gauge of a show. That's when most the people with actual opinions drop a score.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

If you like my opinions, consider my YouTube channel | My MAL Interview

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.

Jan 17, 7:52 PM
mods begone x2

these threads are overrated

we're stuck in a chain fam

Jan 17, 7:58 PM

Hmph... my friend, I somewhat have to agree with you. After 2 Episodes-- this show may very well become one of my 'lower' rated shows of the past year - though, in saying that, I'm not very confident and neither should you be, deeming there's only been like 17% of the overall show released thus far.

To myself, the Main Character is my biggest complaint as of right now; she's beyond 'cringe' with that boring as a Brick-s**thouse personality she has, but there's still room for redemption, not very much, but if the show fixes its flaws-- I can see myself rating it a '7' instead of my current '5'.

Jan 17, 8:05 PM

Olde-Jo said:
Hmph... my friend, I somewhat have to agree with you. After 2 Episodes-- this show may very well become one of my 'lower' rated shows of the past year - though, in saying that, I'm not very confident and neither should you be, deeming there's only been like 17% of the overall show released thus far.

To myself, the Main Character is my biggest complaint as of right now; she's beyond 'cringe' with that boring as a Brick-s**thouse personality she has, but there's still room for redemption, not very much, but if the show fixes its flaws-- I can see myself rating it a '7' instead of my current '5'.

I doubt it will. The 1st episode was alright but the 2nd one was a complete mess. Almost nothing in that episode was from the novel. Erica and Iris weren't even supposed to exist... It was just irritating the way they're adapting it. Well it's not that the light novel itself may that great but this plot is definitely not worth having hopes for improvement.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 17, 8:19 PM
It's very hard to care for a show with such a one dimensional main character.

Jan 17, 8:31 PM

Major_Gilbert said:
Olde-Jo said:

I doubt it will. The 1st episode was alright but the 2nd one was a complete mess. Almost nothing in that episode was from the novel. Erica and Iris weren't even supposed to exist... It was just irritating the way they're adapting it. Well it's not that the light novel itself may that great but this plot is definitely not worth having hopes for improvement.
Deeming the fact that you've read Violet Evergarden-- I'll take your word for it. Quite honestly, I've been deluding myself about the show ever since I watched Episode 1.

I certainly already know this show's not going to be bestowed a holy miracle from Valhalla, but, I've tried telling myself that I may be incorrect.
I'll grant the show an extra Episode - maybe two, if it doesn't improve from its current lackluster form; consider me dropped it.

Jan 18, 4:12 AM

Gersoncs said:
The other problem is how all the Auto Memory Dolls works. Think about the woman who asked for a letter in the second episode. She came all: "I don't even like him, you know, but he has money". When Violet writes exactly that, she starts to cry: "But I loved him!", and it seems like that was a common job on their work.
Think about it, these people pay for the dolls to write letters for them, but the ghostwriting should be the thing the client asked with other words. If the client says: "I think the sky is pretty", the writer should write: "The lovely sky with a majestic blue color", not: "That sky is so ugly". The dolls job, as the anime puts it, is listen to what the client wants them to write and try to guess what they actually meant with that...and that makes no sense. If she wanted to say she loved him, she should say she loved him. She's paying a service to send the message she herself said, after all.

Yeah I don't get it either.
And the customers can clearly read and write so why would they hire someone to write down a letter for them? surely they would just do it themselves, especially when these auto memory dolls seem to not necessarily write down what the customers say reliably.

Jan 18, 4:15 AM

Major_Gilbert said:
Well it's not that the light novel itself may that great

Well here we are, the source of the problem, the original source isn't even that good.

Jan 18, 4:18 AM

how dare you

your face is overrated

Jan 18, 4:21 AM

Bobby2Hands said:

And the customers can clearly read and write so why would they hire someone to write down a letter for them? surely they would just do it themselves, especially when these auto memory dolls seem to not necessarily write down what the customers say reliably.

I don't think she knew how to write, otherwise she would have read the letter before sending it, what she didn't. Although, it's pretty stupid that she didn't ask someone to read it before, or even Violet to read what was in it. It makes no sense that she would send a letter without knowing what was in it.

That other guy clearly knew how to read, though. And he even felt in the right to complain about Erika's wording.
Like...write it yourself if you're going to complain about the final work anyway.

Jan 18, 4:24 AM

Gersoncs said:
Bobby2Hands said:

I don't think she knew how to write, otherwise she would have read the letter before sending it, what she didn't. Although, it's pretty stupid that she didn't ask someone to read it before, or even Violet to read what was in it. It makes no sense that she would send a letter without knowing what was in it.

That other guy clearly knew how to read, though. And he even felt in the right to complain about Erika's wording.
Like...write it yourself if you're going to complain about the final work anyway.

Makes you wonder if you can hire people to do other jobs badly.
Auto shoelace dolls - They tie your shoelaces for you, but sometimes they get it wrong...

Jan 18, 4:24 AM

Who is praising it?

Everyone is criticising it, just look at this thread.
“One man is no more than another, if he do no more than what another does.”

Jan 18, 8:23 AM

Noesnecesario said:
Who is praising it?

Everyone is criticising it, just look at this thread.
95% of ppl on here, instagram, comments on streaming site are praising it like it's the best shit ever

Jan 18, 8:33 AM

Not everyone is criticizing it. And noone said that it's the best shit ever. It's been hyped to the heavens for a long time now ever since that short PV with the glorious KyoAni animation that's why people want to believe that it is a masterpiece in the making. Hence the high initial mal rating. When the show is done I'm sure it would get the praise and criticism it deserves depending on how good it actually is.

Jan 18, 9:55 AM

Dlwuik said:
i am raging autistically because fate/zero 2nd season is no longer in the top 50. this anime is boring imo.

Just noticed that, wtf! It deserves to be much higher.

This anime is pretty lackluster apart from the visuals so far.

Jan 18, 10:37 AM
Most Kyoto Animation show are soo overrated, and Violet Evergarden is not as overrated as the other show from this studio

Loot at Hibike! Euphonium, that show is one of the most overrated show I've seen. Very slow pace with so many dialog, uninteresting story and lack of fun and. It is opposite of love live. I'm not a big fan of love live, but at least it is fun I don't get bored when watching it.

Violet Evergarden is overrated, but not as bad as Hibike! or Chuunibyou demo

Jan 18, 1:04 PM

thepath said:
Most Kyoto Animation show are soo overrated, and Violet Evergarden is not as overrated as the other show from this studio

Loot at Hibike! Euphonium, that show is one of the most overrated show I've seen. Very slow pace with so many dialog, uninteresting story and lack of fun and. It is opposite of love live. I'm not a big fan of love live, but at least it is fun I don't get bored when watching it.

Violet Evergarden is overrated, but not as bad as Hibike! or Chuunibyou demo
I haven't watched those but Hibike is not that popular actually so i don't think it's overrated.

Jan 18, 1:08 PM

Aardwolf94 said:
Dlwuik said:

it's in the top 50 again now but yeah, it still does deserve to be much higher.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 18, 1:20 PM
-Riptide- said:
Not everyone is criticizing it. And noone said that it's the best shit ever. It's been hyped to the heavens for a long time now ever since that short PV with the glorious KyoAni animation that's why people want to believe that it is a masterpiece in the making. Hence the high initial mal rating. When the show is done I'm sure it would get the praise and criticism it deserves depending on how good it actually is.

Pretty much the same situation with The Ancient Magus Bride, but even more intense.

Jan 18, 1:42 PM
it's not that rare for KyoAni to produce an overglorified boring crap and this one is happens to be overhyped as well. dropped in the middle of the second episode, this is just not watchable. KyoAni is still one of the best studios nonetheless.

Jan 18, 2:04 PM

if people are not interested in a historical romance/drama show, then dont watch it. but simply that fact doesnt mean a show is bad. this show is so far one of the best looking shows (not movies!) I have ever seen. Somebody mentioned „fate zero“ here. Of course, that one is also a masterpiece, but here you dont have empty battle arenas, here you have a lively background, also a top notch screenplay and so far well written and animated charas for a historical romance/drama and all of that is part of carrying a fantastic atmosphere. that is what this show is truly amazing at! Thats why people give this show high ratings. the genre is a matter of taste, you cant really rate it. Sometimes I also give some extra point because of my personal taste, thats why I rated this show not 0,85 or so, I already rated it 0,95, extra point for taste. It may get lower again because of story maybe or whatnot. But KyoAni isnt bad with executing serious shows, so I dont fear a downfall. But some people already give this show 0,4 … Thats just … stupid.

People, please learn to read the intentions of the shows and dont blame the producers for something they dindnt want to make in the first place. I also dont blame „fate zero“ for the action and dialogues and say: there was no magical girl fun in it so it has to be bad. see, what I mean?

at the Hibike guy: Hibike wasnt ment to be fun. Its a music themed school drama … -_-

Jan 18, 2:23 PM

Gersoncs said:
Let's be fair here. If this was a show by another studio and the animation was mediocre, no one would care about it.

Evergreen post. This and all other KyoAni shows only are popular because muh based KyoAni and muh quality animation.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a crazy parallel universe where JC Staff did Clannad and KyoAni did Little Busters unlike here, and bet the MAL from that universe has Refrain in the top 10 forever and ever while After Story can't break even top 250.

Jan 18, 2:37 PM

It's definitely a beautiful anime with some substance to it. However, it doesn't deserve anywhere close to an 9.

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Gersoncs said:

Evergreen post. This and all other KyoAni shows only are popular because muh based KyoAni and muh quality animation.

Sometimes I wonder if there's a crazy parallel universe where JC Staff did Clannad and KyoAni did Little Busters unlike here, and bet the MAL from that universe has Refrain in the top 10 forever and ever while After Story can't break even top 250.

That's actually a very good point.

Jan 18, 3:27 PM

Another thread bashing on this show. What a fucking surprise. I feel like this show is getting a lot more hate than love even though only 2 episodes have aired so far. But I shouldn't be surprised, that's what this community does best, hates on popular shows just because they're popular.

And if there is a truly "overrated" show this seaosn, it's Devilman:Crybaby. Everyone from the fans to big popular anime youtubers and many websites praise this show like it's the second coming of Christ, saying it's the best anime of the entire year, even though the year has just started and there are countless of other shows that have yet to air.

Jan 18, 3:31 PM

Dlwuik said:
Aardwolf94 said:

it's in the top 50 again now but yeah, it still does deserve to be much higher.

fate zero is a 7/10 at best

Jan 18, 4:31 PM
I will have to start watching someday to say if it is overrated or not. I hope that this not just pretty colours like Erased was in 2016.
Modified by Burguburu, Jan 18, 6:35 PM

Jan 18, 4:36 PM

At least it's dropping like a rock.

Jan 18, 4:46 PM
This THREAD is OVERATED, you must be too much watching ACTION ANIME/MOVIE...
I guess you don't know what the meaning of the story, so re-watch ep 2 again on the Ending part,
I can clearly see this anime portrayed of HACHIKO, the dog who's wait for his master come home...
So you call this OVERATED, I think this THREAD is OVERATED, even tho on the End of ep 2 it's kinda touching for me...
Modified by juliojakers, Jan 18, 4:49 PM

Jan 18, 4:53 PM
There will always be stupid people to produce this kind of subject, to feel different, and to exist in a different way.

We can not judge if it's overated or the opposite in just 2 episodes. Do you think you are judging a 300-page book by judging only 40 pages? It is perfectly ridiculous as reasoning. In addition, the cruel lack of argument of which the author is quite funny, I would hide in his place so stupidity in this person is rising.

Jan 18, 7:38 PM

ZettaiRyouiki said:
Gersoncs said:

Well, I don't hate KyoAni. Their animation is pretty good and some of their shows are good (mostly the not original ones).
Violet does have one of the best animation ever made and if someone says that, I won't disagree. But saying the writing is also great is a clear bias.

Problem is that people become fan from studios and lost all critical thinking about them. Just look at Darling in the Franxx. Everyone keeps hyping it: "It's great! Trigger did it again!".
I didn't even watch it, but I do know it's not even a Trigger anime. It's pretty much all A-1 staff, with Trigger just helping it. What shows how these fans doesn't even know what they like in those studios they love, as they can't even recognize them.

It's like people who buys any shit if they have a famous label on it.

Anyway, it's fine that people like shows regardless of their quality, but when the mass starts to hype something with so clear writing flaws. When we know the exact same story wouldn't sell on other hands, we have a clear bias there.

Jan 18, 7:52 PM

I am sure you are not the only one. So do not worry.

Jan 18, 7:56 PM
Funsized

To be fair I think the hype is somewhat justified. The artwork is simply amazing and so far I think the characters are all very intersting. Although it can change...

Jan 18, 8:46 PM

Yes, a bit

I don't see what it interesting about it.

The animation is beautiful though.

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »