Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 17, 2018 8:43 AM
Jul 2018
Does the Macross series have an acceptable amount of romance? I'm a few episodes in on Macross F and I'm happy that the girl kissed Saotome so early, so I'm hoping for some actual romantic development. There are few mecha anime with romantic development so I'm hoping Macross is one of them.

Also, what about the other Macross series?
Jan 17, 2018 8:44 AM

Jun 2014
The romance in SDF Macross is definitely far more interesting.

I can't say much about Macross F, other than the fact that the blonde girl is a slut.

Jan 17, 2018 8:46 AM

Aug 2014
Macross F has actual romance development. I think you need to watch the movie to get the full conclusion. I only watched the show.

what episode are you on?

If you are new to macross series. They are focus on music and big love triangles.
SweanimeJan 17, 2018 8:50 AM
Jan 17, 2018 8:48 AM

Jan 2013
In SDF the romance was one of the main themes, can't say I liked it though, it was basically a love triangle with a clueless guy in the middle. I'm watching the alternative version right now (Do You Remember Love) and it seems better so far.
fuyukiJan 17, 2018 9:34 AM
Jan 17, 2018 8:53 AM

Aug 2014
Only good thing with macross is they are kind of good to hide the girl thats it´s picked. But if you watched a few you will know the end girl.
Jan 17, 2018 8:59 AM

Sep 2014
The original macross romance is kinda weird
the way Minmay behaves is bit nerve wracking if you ask me, but I still liked it and would greatly recommend the series

Macross DYRL does a good job despite it being a movie and not having much time for development

Macross Plus was not my kind of thing romance-wise but it's definitely pretty good

Macross Zero I don't remember very well but afair the romance was mediocre to say the least

Macross 7 has the least focus on romance I would say, and there's the least 'competition' too, because the 'other choice' is never really a thing

Macross F has some romantic development but IDK if you will be truly satisfied, the ending gets in the way too

Delta does the job just fine. It's kind of overhated

Seiya said:

I can't say much about Macross F, other than the fact that the blonde girl is a slut.

how so?
ImaishiJan 17, 2018 9:05 AM
Jan 17, 2018 9:02 AM

Jun 2014
Imaishi said:
Seiya said:

how so?

Just look at her, you can tell she's a slut. She even sings into a whistle, which she sticks into her mouth and blows.

Jan 17, 2018 9:06 AM

Sep 2014
Seiya said:
Imaishi said:

how so?

Just look at her, you can tell she's a slut. She even sings into a whistle, which she sticks into her mouth and blows.

she's not a slut at all
judging that by the way she dresses and behaves on scene is fucking idiotic
Jan 17, 2018 9:07 AM

Jun 2014
Imaishi said:
Seiya said:

she's not a slut at all
judging that by the way she dresses and behaves on scene is fucking idiotic

All girls who dress like that are sluts, trust me.

Jan 17, 2018 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
fuyuki said:
In SDF the romance was one of the main themes, can't say I liked it though, it was basically a love triangle with a clueless guy in the middle. I'm watching the alternative version right now (Do You Remember Love) and it seems better so far, I'll edit this when I finish.

What's SDF stand for? Super Dimension Mega Fortress? I don't think that's an anime though.

Sweanime said:
Macross F has actual romance development. I think you need to watch the movie to get the full conclusion. I only watched the show.

what episode are you on?

If you are new to macross series. They are focus on music and big love triangles.

I'm currently on episode 6. Looking great so far.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NexuJan 17, 2018 1:02 PM
Jan 17, 2018 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
changelog_ said:
fuyuki said:
In SDF the romance was one of the main themes, can't say I liked it though, it was basically a love triangle with a clueless guy in the middle. I'm watching the alternative version right now (Do You Remember Love) and it seems better so far, I'll edit this when I finish.

What's SDF stand for? Super Dimension Mega Fortress? I don't think that's an anime though.

This is the Anime we're referring to:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/1088/Macross

Jan 17, 2018 9:14 AM

Sep 2014
changelog_ said:
fuyuki said:

the full title of Macross is literally Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Jan 17, 2018 9:20 AM

Apr 2016
They all have romance in some way, since one of the three main aspects of Macross is the love triangle, the other two of course being flying transformable planes in combat, and idols singing songs amidst or outside of the battles.

The original has this in spades, particularly the final quarter of the series.

Do You Remember Love has "love" in the title. That's literally all I need to say.

Plus is basically a much rougher triangle, where the two combatants try to rekindle things with the one they both want whilst trying to beat up and one-up each other, and then things get hellish.

While I haven't seen the others, I'm aware from clips and things I've heard that all 3 of these aspects carry over into them.
Jan 17, 2018 9:44 AM

Jul 2015
It has romance but it was the part I liked the least of the show, super frustrating.
Jan 17, 2018 10:21 AM
Jun 2015
The romance is acceptable but I would say its nowhere near the best part of the series. The mech designs and the high concept that each series are the best part of the series. The first series explores the idea of culture as a weapon.
Jan 17, 2018 10:55 AM

Nov 2017
i only watched macross, macross plus and macross frontier and best girl(s) won so go on.
Jan 17, 2018 11:11 AM

Aug 2016
In Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Hikaru goes from being a late teenager to being in his mid-20s, and his romantic interests reflect that growth in maturity. Minmei represents the immature, adolescent crush--she's pretty but somewhat shallow (and ultimately, tragic and sad). Misa is much more mature (she's older than Hikaru) and represents a more sophisticated adult relationship.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? is one of my favorite anime films. It is actually considered an in-universe film (you'll see characters in Macross 7 and Macross Frontier refer to it). The romance is more rapidly developed but it helped me cement Misa as Best Girl.

Macross Plus was, when it was released, considered not only the best show in the series but one of the best animated mecha shows of its time. The love triangle is much more adult, a bit tragic, and more complex. Regret and past mistakes play a very heavy role.

Macross 7 is great. Although not as thematically complex or developed as the original Macross, I actually enjoyed it more than the original. Its love triangle is a lot more... vague. Does Basara have any feelings for Mylene beyond simple friendship? I dunno. Mylene is a young teenager so her fickleness and indecision makes sense. The songs are really catchy and the romantic tension between Miria and Max is sad but you can't help but hope they give in and reconcile. Also, watching Basara turn a battle-hardened Meltrandi armada into squealing fangirls in Macross 7 Encore was pretty funny.

I thought Macross Frontier was pretty good but not as good as the previous iterations. I actually found myself cheering for Ranko more than Sheryl although Sheryl is the more complex and interesting character.

I don't remember Macross Zero very well. I should rewatch it but I remember it being pretty good.

Finally, I'm really torn when it comes to watching Macross Delta. The whole idol thing just really, really, really turns me off.
Jan 17, 2018 1:02 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Anime Discussion Board.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Macross F Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - Aug 1, 2008

60 by Dzentelmen2 »»
Oct 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

darkside099 - Jul 4, 2008

72 by sserpens »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:08 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Sep 11, 2008

98 by catfay »»
Feb 21, 2023 3:22 PM

Poll: » Macross F Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Westlo - May 15, 2008

72 by Antanaru »»
Dec 31, 2022 11:36 AM

Poll: » Macross Frontier Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

angel999 - Aug 21, 2008

123 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Nov 19, 2022 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.