Forum Settings
Forums

Why do members of the Gintama community over inflate Gintama's MAL scores?

New
Jan 15, 2018 12:59 PM
May 2017
It's common knowledge it's hard to browse MAL, particularly by score, without coming across the ubiquitous Gintama franchise. While I (along with many others) would not argue that it is offensively terrible, it does appear pander to otaku and children alike, over-use references to other (better) shows as jokes (simply implementing content from other shows with the intent of being funny is not funny) and drag on.

My question is, therefore, (especially to those who enjoy Gintama) why is it so highly rated? Is it solely on the basis of enjoyment, or is there an ulterior motive as to rating it the way it does? Is it to entice new viewers? To feel a vicarious feeling of accomplishment to move your show above another in terms of MAL score? Because you're a victim of irrational and unadulterated fanboyism, competing in the circle jerk that is Gintama?

The reason for this post was the occasional messages I receive from those from the Gintama community, urging me to pick it back up and reconsider and reevaluate.

Finally, I wholeheartedly accept that the ratings of Gintama, may be due to a difference in opinion and I am aware of the fact that that is likely the reason behind the scores in the first place. What I'd like to know is if there is any other reason as to the rating of this show?

Please make it known that I do not think MAL scores matter either.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2018 1:03 PM

Jun 2017
Why do people do shit like this?

Well?
I'm a shitposter for fun
Jan 15, 2018 1:04 PM

Sep 2017
if you've been on mal for over 2 minutes you'd know that gintama's fanbase is toxic and there's nothing we can do about it.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 15, 2018 1:06 PM

Feb 2013
We all know that Gintama haters are really lame.
Jan 15, 2018 1:09 PM

Oct 2014
ZionPulse said:

Well?

No only Gintama fans are toxic jeez~
Jan 15, 2018 1:13 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
ZionPulse said:

Well?

Mods sure are lazy. They should delete these interviews.
Jan 15, 2018 1:13 PM

Nov 2017
when the mal scores are based around the populous, ofc scores are gonna be this way. Which this is why people say the mal scores don't matter
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2018 1:14 PM
Aug 2016
ZionPulse said:

Well?

Because they're a bunch of retarded individuals?
Jan 15, 2018 1:14 PM

Jun 2017
StrangerMist said:
ZionPulse said:

Well?

Oh no they did... I just screen capped it before then.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Jan 15, 2018 1:15 PM

Sep 2015
I love comedy. Gintama has comedy that is out of this world.
Sure it has it's dragging bits and unfunny jokes and bad characters but I haven't found anything funnier to this day than Gintama.
Thus Gintama deserves a 10/10 from me.
Jan 15, 2018 1:17 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
ZionPulse said:
StrangerMist said:

Oh no they did... I just screen capped it before then.

Nevermind then. I don't see why people find the need to write such reviews.
Jan 15, 2018 1:18 PM

Nov 2017
Salokannel2 said:
Sure it has it's dragging bits and unfunny jokes and bad characters but I haven't found anything funnier to this day than Gintama.
But, isn't a 10/10 supposed to be near flawless. Bad characters seems like a pretty major point to still give something a perfect score. I would understand 9/10 if there are still major flaws like that.
(Translator's Note: "nico nico nii" means "SHINY DAYS in My Pocket")

nico nico nii.

Jan 15, 2018 1:19 PM

Sep 2015
peh-soh-nah said:
Salokannel2 said:
But, isn't a 10/10 supposed to be near flawless. Bad characters seems like a pretty major point to still give something a perfect score. I would understand 9/10 if there are still major flaws like that.
Who says 10/10 needs to be flawless?
I love Gintama to death, thus it deserves a 10. I think it's as simple as that.
Jan 15, 2018 1:19 PM

Aug 2010
Hey, I don't know why anyone would need to beg for you for anything, take a bit back of that ego.

I'm not going to say you should watch it, because it's your choice whether you do so or not, but if you are going to rant about it online, at least watch a bit more than 20 or so episodes.
I'm not saying it deserves all the praise it gets, but neither does it deserve this much hate, just because MAL's system is retarded.
Jan 15, 2018 1:20 PM

Nov 2017
Salokannel2 said:
peh-soh-nah said:
Personally, I think you can still love things and have them as your favorites while having a more objective score. But I respect your perspective.
(Translator's Note: "nico nico nii" means "SHINY DAYS in My Pocket")

nico nico nii.

Jan 15, 2018 1:24 PM

Sep 2015
peh-soh-nah said:
Salokannel2 said:
Personally, I think you can still love things and have them as your favorites while having a more objective score. But I respect your perspective.
Mhmm, rating objectively is one way to rate but I've been rating based on my enjoyment from the very beginning and it would be a pain in the ass to change my ratings now so I think I'll keep on rating the way I've done^^'
Jan 15, 2018 1:26 PM

Feb 2010
It's because they know that so many people who shouldn't care will literally shit their panties because of it. It's that simple.

Internet culture teaches you that spending 2 seconds to rate it is worth it when you know people will rage for weeks because of it even though they shouldn't give a fuck. It's usually the same people saying that MAL ratings mean shit anyway who then freak the fuck out when a fanbase 'manipulates' (some would say predict/anticipate) scores, making them hypocrites as well. They deserve to get triggered simple because they get triggered by trivial stuff like that so I support everyone who spends 2 seconds to rate Gintama 10/10 before it airs. It's for a good cause :>.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 15, 2018 1:29 PM

Sep 2009
Gintama is 90% toilet humor. And what type of people like toilet humor? Hmmm...
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Jan 15, 2018 1:33 PM

Mar 2016
If we're gonna talk about plot, I have a different approach and mindset into it, a lot of people will say that it becomes better at Benizakura Arc, which for me is not the case. Gintama's plot was already deep and fascinating from the beginning, it uses a lot of comedic satirical messages as well as deep and implied real issues in serious way, a lot of foreshadowed elements was presented that in the later episodes/chapters which proves Gintama is a solid and consistent thoroughly planned masterpiece on its own.

Probably the biggest reason why it's fans like it was the:
Characters - the strongest factor of the show, a lot of character has depth and consistency, mostly memorable with a solid fanbase

Switching plot - originally comedy, but can switch into serious plotted story, unforgiving in its fighting scenes, but has a lot of beautiful episodic comedy and tear-jerking drama, also it's easily re-watchable.
youseikiJan 15, 2018 1:38 PM
Jan 15, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2017
Another interesting note is Gintama tend to have MUCH LESS viewers for each season, yet it often take the first spot. (Just go check this season membership, Gintama has way less members than most of the shows)

It's like no-one watches it, no-one talks about it, yet it always scored #1.
Jan 15, 2018 1:35 PM

May 2015
Dlwuik said:
if you've been on mal for over 2 minutes you'd know that gintama's fanbase is toxic and there's nothing we can do about it.

The people who rate it a 1 are worse dude.

Jan 15, 2018 1:36 PM

Aug 2010
Ventus_S said:
Another interesting note is Gintama tend to have MUCH LESS viewers for each season, yet it often take the first spot. (Just go check this season membership, Gintama has way less members than most of the shows)

Yes, it's a known effect. It happens with every sequel, some people always drop the show and won't watch the sequels, so the number of ratings go down, but at the same time, only people who genuenly enjoy said long running show rate at that point, so they will obviously rate it higher.

I mean, I can't imagine someone who watches like 300 episodes just to be able to rate a 1 or 2 for a show out of pure spite.
Jan 15, 2018 1:38 PM

Sep 2017
Kittens-kun said:
Dlwuik said:

The people who rate it a 1 are worse dude.

i'm not saying they're any better.s

Jan 15, 2018 1:39 PM

Oct 2017
oryouohagi said:
Ventus_S said:

Yes, it's a known effect. It happens with every sequel, some people always drop the show and won't watch the sequels, so the number of ratings go down, but at the same time, only people who genuenly enjoy said long running show rate at that point, so they will obviously rate it higher.

I mean, I can't imagine someone who watches like 300 episodes just to be able to rate a 1 or 2 for a show out of pure spite.

But there're sequals that genuinely get high scores despite way more people watching it, like BHA and Haikyu
Jan 15, 2018 1:40 PM

Dec 2016
It's people on both sides and it's just the way Gintama is. It must be a pretty damn good show to acquire a fanbase AND a hatebase like that, right (at least that's my logic, I haven't watched it yet)?
Jan 15, 2018 1:42 PM

Feb 2016
Because there is lots of uncultured and simple people in the world, and in democratic systems they have the power.
Jan 15, 2018 1:43 PM

Dec 2016
With only 20 episodes watched this question is stupid (all we know that it gets better around episode 50, and gets better without stop, that explain that "inflate" score).
AlberrtiJan 15, 2018 1:46 PM
Jan 15, 2018 1:43 PM

Aug 2010
Ventus_S said:
oryouohagi said:

But there're sequals that genuinely get high scores despite way more people watching it, like BHA and Haikyu

Yes, but they don't have 10 or so installments like gintama. If you check out the second and third seasons for gintama, you'll see similar results. Just make sure to take into consideration, that the first season of gintama has 201 or so episodes, while boku no hero academia has 13 and haikyuu has 25 or so.
Jan 15, 2018 1:45 PM

Aug 2010
man_of_culture said:
Because there is lots of uncultured and simple people in the world, and in democratic systems they have the power.

A leftist baiter, a rare pokemon to come across on this site indeed.
Jan 15, 2018 1:48 PM

Oct 2010
We like the show and don't give a fuck about who we bother with our high scores sounds like the right answer.
Jan 15, 2018 1:52 PM

Jan 2013
You know what this thread makes me want to do? SCORE ALL OF GINTAMA WITH 10SSSS
Jan 15, 2018 1:57 PM

May 2017
There's no ulterior motive.... they just really enjoy Gintama.
Jan 15, 2018 1:58 PM
May 2017
Salokannel2 said:

but the score isn't supposed to be comparative. it's supposed to be
Dlwuik said:

oh the irony; that's really toxic. also I'm aware they are incredibly toxic but that doesn't rationally correlate with the high scores. thanks for your input.
Jan 15, 2018 1:59 PM

Jun 2014
I just ignore them.

People keep telling me that I'm missing out by not watching Gintama, but that's my choice. The humor doesn't look like my cup of tea, and I saw a video clip of a fight scene, and it was way too violent for my tastes, so there's no way I'll ever watch it.

Jan 15, 2018 1:59 PM
May 2017
fuyuki said:

Feel free. This isn't what I was looking for in terms of an answer though and is indicative of how childish your fanbase is.
Jan 15, 2018 2:01 PM

Nov 2008
Watching too much Gintama just made them too stupid. :/

Jan 15, 2018 2:01 PM

Jan 2013
spacebishijesus said:
fuyuki said:

Feel free. This isn't what I was looking for in terms of an answer though and is indicative of how childish your fanbase is.
Or you're the one who gets bothered by stuff like this too easily, chill out. Your whole post can be answered with - it's highly rated because people enjoy the hell out of it. And that's it.
Jan 15, 2018 2:02 PM
May 2017
jal90 said:
We like the show and don't give a fuck about who we bother with our high scores sounds like the right answer.

oh wow, sorry hard. is your entire fanbase as handicapped as you are?
Jan 15, 2018 2:05 PM
May 2017
fuyuki said:
spacebishijesus said:

Or you're the one who gets bothered by stuff like this too easily, chill out. Your whole post can be answered with - it's highly rated because people enjoy the hell out of it. And that's it.

yeah and I even acknowledge that in my post, something you'd know if you read it properly. If that's the sole reason then thank you for your attempted answer.
Jan 15, 2018 2:06 PM

Oct 2010
spacebishijesus said:
jal90 said:

Not sure, but seeing that you use "handicapped" as an insult I can reach some conclusions about your mental age.
Jan 15, 2018 2:07 PM

May 2017
Seiya said:
I just ignore them.

People keep telling me that I'm missing out by not watching Gintama, but that's my choice. The humor doesn't look like my cup of tea, and I saw a video clip of a fight scene, and it was way too violent for my tastes, so there's no way I'll ever watch it.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. People should respect the fact that you don't want to watch it.
Jan 15, 2018 2:08 PM

Jun 2014
Aeradae said:
Seiya said:
I just ignore them.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everyone. People should respect the fact that you don't want to watch it.

Thanks for understanding. We all have different tastes in stuff.

Jan 15, 2018 2:10 PM

Sep 2015
spacebishijesus said:
Salokannel2 said:

but the score isn't supposed to be comparative. it's supposed to be
Dlwuik said:

oh the irony; that's really toxic. also I'm aware they are incredibly toxic but that doesn't rationally correlate with the high scores. thanks for your input.
What I tried to imply was that I think that way about Gintama, and since the score is so high, probably others do too. It's one hell of an enjoyable show after all imo.
Jan 15, 2018 2:12 PM

Jan 2013
spacebishijesus said:
fuyuki said:

yeah and I even acknowledge that in my post, something you'd know if you read it properly. If that's the sole reason then thank you for your attempted answer.
Oh I've read that properly and it's the same useless babble like 99% of other Gintama threads - just a random person asking the same question ('what's the appeal of Gintama') yet again, trying to use insults as arguments. Yawn.
fuyukiJan 15, 2018 4:23 PM
Jan 15, 2018 2:23 PM
May 2017
pgmhecateii said:
I think genuinely enjoying the anime and giving it 10 is better than trolling and giving it 1...

I wish there was a ban on these types of threads, I'm getting sick of it (well, not like you people care).

I still think the real question is why can't people be mature enough (well, these weird people on MAL that are older than me) to accept the fact that Gintama just happens to be well-liked by some people.

Why do you people like to browse Top Anime so much? :p

I sincerely apologise. in future I'll remember that asking questions and questioning current events are taboo and wrong.
Jan 15, 2018 2:25 PM
May 2017
fuyuki said:
spacebishijesus said:

Oh I've read that properly and it's the same useless babble like in 99% of other Gintama threads - just a random person asking the same question ('what's the appeal of Gintama') yet again, with some hidden insults here and there. Yawn.

pgmhecateii said:
I think genuinely enjoying the anime and giving it 10 is better than trolling and giving it 1...

I wish there was a ban on these types of threads, I'm getting sick of it (well, not like you people care).

I still think the real question is why can't people be mature enough (well, these weird people on MAL that are older than me) to accept the fact that Gintama just happens to be well-liked by some people.

I gave it a 1 because I thought that it was
pgmhecateii said:

I'm not trolling when I give a series I think is shit a 1.
Jan 15, 2018 2:26 PM
May 2017
jal90 said:
spacebishijesus said:

Not sure, but seeing that you use "handicapped" as an insult I can reach some conclusions about your mental age.

coming from someone who swore? aha n1
Jan 15, 2018 2:28 PM

Sep 2012
Why cant we just give people what they one and done with it?

We have people that rants because someone gave 1 to show after ep 1 while he gave 9 so I cant understand if this is irony or just being plain ignorant...

MAL scores wont make your fav show bad understand this.
Jan 15, 2018 2:31 PM

Feb 2017
When will this horse be finally buried? People like the damn show, there's MAL's 1/5 rule, the sequel effect where only people who like the show move on to the sequels and likely score it high, and countless other threads with the same thing.

spacebishijesus said:
jal90 said:

lmao he gives a straight answer to a question repeated ad infinitum and your response is to call him (and us) handicapped. I can already feel my mind expanding with the insightful and fruitful discussions this thread is going to have.
"Dirty, money-grubbing Clorfors. Tried to clorf me right out of my money. Blew those little bastards up is what I did!"
Jan 15, 2018 2:47 PM

Sep 2017
this has only been up for a few hours and i've already developed autism by looking at it

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 5 hours ago

31 by Zimmu »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 7 hours ago

35 by delirific »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

16 by Horizon06 »»
6 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

15 by W3TFT »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

89 by LostSpectre »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.