Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 15, 2018 7:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That Hibiki girl is tougher than I had thought...however, she still has a lot to learn.

The episode was okay, felt like it's building up towards something bigger especially through her and Hachirou. I don't trust the higher up guys so far in this show, seems almost all of them have some sort of hidden agenda.

Episode got emotional with the storytelling about Oboro and Gennosuke. It's too bad lives have to end like that...
Stark700Jan 15, 2018 9:19 AM
Jan 15, 2018 9:50 AM

Jun 2009
really brings back soo many memories of Basilisk that i wanna rewatch it right away again
Jan 15, 2018 10:32 AM

Apr 2016
Can someone explain what exactly happened? I was left a bit confused...

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 15, 2018 12:07 PM

Jul 2014
TASTE MY NINJA TECHNIQUE! *disappears in a puff of smoke to never watch this garbage again*
Jan 15, 2018 1:33 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Major_Gilbert said:

If I'm understanding it correctly, It seems that the Tokugawa heir who was not chosen as Shogun is feeling wronged by the outcome of the battle that allowed the Iga clan to win and deprive him of the right to rule. But others have different recollections of the outcome. It seems only the Hanzo family still knows the truth.

I think there will probably others who have a more in depth understanding of what is going on.

I have to say though, that i much preferred the straight story and action packed delivery of the first series.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 15, 2018 4:22 PM

May 2015
I was immersed in the story about how the kid who I think is unhappy about how his brother was chosen plus the different version of the last battle between Oboro & Gennosuke thus the origin of both brother & sister.

And... the episode ended in a cliffhanger! Grrrrrr!
Jan 15, 2018 4:34 PM
Feb 2017
Farabeuf said:
Major_Gilbert said:

If I'm understanding it correctly, It seems that the Tokugawa heir who was not chosen as Shogun is feeling wronged by the outcome of the battle that allowed the Iga clan to win and deprive him of the right to rule. But others have different recollections of the outcome. It seems only the Hanzo family still knows the truth.

I think there will probably others who have a more in depth understanding of what is going on.

I have to say though, that i much preferred the straight story and action packed delivery of the first series.

I agree with you! I think the first season is more direct with epic fights.
Jan 15, 2018 7:09 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
They just had to make me re-live Oboro and Gennousuke's death again :(

Things weren't really that clear in this episode in terms of getting the answers that we wanted but at least the story of the first series is still somewhat being told correctly in some places

I don't quite understand how the twins were born though
Jan 15, 2018 8:49 PM

Aug 2014
Most of the episode recapping and retconning the original ending. Somehow, Gennosuke and Oboro found time to fuck during the war before it ended, and Oboro worked out a deal to fake her death so she could continue their bloodlines. Or something. Should have just made this a spin-off.

Get to the new war already.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 15, 2018 10:59 PM

Apr 2012
QuattroVaginas said:
Most of the episode recapping and retconning the original ending. Somehow, Gennosuke and Oboro found time to fuck during the war before it ended, and Oboro worked out a deal to fake her death so she could continue their bloodlines. Or something. Should have just made this a spin-off.

Get to the new war already.

Well, the presence of turns with their origins, as I understand it, can also mean that they are not connected by blood. But this does not explain the presence of their parents' special strength and appearance. Although Hibiki is not very similar to her mother. At the same time, the OP clearly shows that Gennousuke was a very important person for her.

Jan 16, 2018 1:48 AM
Jan 2011
Are the two of them siblings?
Jan 16, 2018 3:50 AM

Sep 2016
Maybe Gennosuke and Oboro had sex at some point and she gave birth to the twin siblings in secret.

[^ I speculate this happened before the events of first season, in case 'geniuses' argue that there's no way she could get pregnant.]

(Lel. Gonna revisit this post when the reveal is out to see if I'm right. XD)
TheSmilingShoujoJan 20, 2018 12:32 AM
<GENERIC SIGNATURE>
Jan 16, 2018 5:48 AM

Apr 2014
I don't understand. Can someone confirm whether this episode proved or disproved the fact Hibiki and the other kid are related?
Jan 16, 2018 6:30 AM

Jun 2012
I'm confused about people saying the original was retconned. What actually happened then, when did Oboro get pregnant?
Shoot first, think never.
Jan 16, 2018 6:55 AM

Jan 2011
maybe their tissues were collected and then being cloned as babies to be brought back to the village, thats how they keep these elite bloodlines!

anyway this is better than eps 1
Jan 16, 2018 7:13 AM

May 2016
?????

I'm lost lmao
Jan 16, 2018 7:33 AM

Nov 2009
I'm confused and lost. The way they've chosen to fit the kids into the story made a quick mess of the entire plot - and what's worse, we still got no relevant answers! Not even about blood relation.

I think this mess of a show has just become more than I can handle, so I'm dropping it.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Jan 16, 2018 9:26 AM

Aug 2014
They're siblings, which means they are blood related. Also confirmed in their bios on the official website. And the eyes can only be passed down through blood. Gennosuke and Oboro never fucked in the first series, and they died. At most you could say their deaths were never confirmed, but that'd be bullshit and ruin the entire theme of Basilisk.

Anyways, found Crunchyroll's synopsis, not really a spoiler since it's mostly just what they were attempting to show in this episode:

So, sounds like they're just going to leave it vague.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 16, 2018 9:52 AM

Jun 2015
I still don't get the relation between the kids and Gennosuke and Oboro.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 16, 2018 12:36 PM
Jan 2018
Niveen_Sleem said:

I think this shitty series are trying to show that those both are secret children born from Oboro and Gennosuke. How and when? A bad explanation is coming for sure.

This series are rather more similar to Naruto than Basilisk. Poor characters, full of children warriors, absurd explanations in the plot.
Jan 16, 2018 1:35 PM

Jun 2015
Korax_Guez said:
Niveen_Sleem said:

I think this shitty series are trying to show that those both are secret children born from Oboro and Gennosuke. How and when? A bad explanation is coming for sure.

This series are rather more similar to Naruto than Basilisk. Poor characters, full of children warriors, absurd explanations in the plot.

I got the same feeling but with little difference. Naruto in itself is good especially at the start but it's light and it can't be compared to the hardcore Basilisk. That sequel Ouka Ninpouchou is like Boruto: childish and full plot holes.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 16, 2018 2:42 PM
Jan 2017
hmm why its gotten bad i dont like this drawing style
Jan 16, 2018 4:39 PM
Nov 2012
Somehow on the day before Oboro would duel Gennosuke she was visted by Kyouhachiro & took the kids this means Oboro must've had the kids before the events of the events of Basilisk.

For some reason they changed the ending song just like Basilisk would do i bet next week it will go back to the 1st ending.

Jan 16, 2018 11:12 PM

Oct 2008
So many revelations has been revealed!
4/5.

Jan 17, 2018 5:41 AM
Mar 2012
Nice music for op & ed.
So much backstory. Why's it all stuck in the past? When's the present gonna happen? I read that one didn't need the prequel to watch this... kinda understand this but so many faceless characters & kinda lost.
All I got was the boat lord (whatshisname) randomly got 5 free ninjas, and asked for an infodump. He still wants a nice boat. And he lost rulership to his brother long ago. And the current incest pair is compared or has some curse to suffer like that other pair who had to fight and both died supposedly, yet Iga won.
Eh but they say Kouga & Iga stopped fighting, so...

Jan 17, 2018 1:18 PM

Mar 2009
I'm not sure I like this one, yet.
By the middle to the end of Episode 1 of the first series, I was in love with the personalities and relationship between Gennosuke and Oboro.
I can see a few times when they might have had children, likely they were planning to tell their clans about them after they were married. Telling them before might have been dangerous for the babies.... but still:

I wish they would stop jumping between the two situations and just stick to one.
They need to establish the main characters personalities (ir would only take one ep) and then they can go to Mr. Jealous and show us what he's whining and b!tching about.

They should establish personalities and a connection between the viewers and the characters that matter, rather than show us the village, and meanwhile skip off to that rainy mess with that whiny shogun wanna-be (WHY AREN'T THEY GETTING HIM THE BOAT HE WAS SO DESPERATE FOR? It's not like the rain mattered to him BEFORE.... So why is he sitting there whining about how useless he is and blaming others when his mother is dying (both mothers were evil selfish b!tches anyway- she should die alone and in pain for what she and the other one made Oboro and Gennosuke do to each other!)?
This guy will likely blame someone NOT at all connected to his mother's death, for it, when she dies).

I hope his brother is less annoying- though it's not likely considering that HIS mother was also no prize.

gophercg said:
Nice music for op & ed.
So much backstory. Why's it all stuck in the past? When's the present gonna happen? I read that one didn't need the prequel to watch this... kinda understand this but so many faceless characters & kinda lost.
All I got was the boat lord (whatshisname) randomly got 5 free ninjas, and asked for an infodump. He still wants a nice boat. And he lost rulership to his brother long ago. And the current incest pair is compared or has some curse to suffer like that other pair who had to fight and both died supposedly, yet Iga won.
Eh but they say Kouga & Iga stopped fighting, so...

Whoever said that it wasn't needed to see the first anime is full of it.
I don't know about the source material, but this anime is obviously NOT a standalone.
And you are seriously missing out on AMAZING characters by not watching it.
Jan 18, 2018 1:16 AM
Jan 2018
Im completely new to basilisk and i have no problem understanding the story this thread is full of idiots just listen and your understand there not trying to do anything complicated with the story
Jan 19, 2018 5:18 AM

Apr 2014
Elitheotaku20 said:
Im completely new to basilisk and i have no problem understanding the story this thread is full of idiots just listen and your understand there not trying to do anything complicated with the story

It probably makes perfect sense to you for exactly the reason that you haven't seen the first season.
How about you try finishing the first season first then come back and try to sound high and mighty.
Jan 19, 2018 6:49 AM
Jan 2018
Protaku said:
Elitheotaku20 said:

It probably makes perfect sense to you for exactly the reason that you haven't seen the first season.
How about you try finishing the first season first then come back and try to sound high and mighty.
idk how watching more of it will make me understand less of it but okay, i think people are pretending not to get it because they have nostalgia vision about the series and want it to of ended how they remember so there make any excuse to say its bad instead of being happy for a show you love getting more eps but ill eventually watch the original you may be right
Jan 19, 2018 6:51 AM

Apr 2014
Elitheotaku20 said:
Protaku said:

idk how watching more of it will make me understand less of it but okay, i think people are pretending not to get it because they have nostalgia vision about the series and want it to of ended how they remember so there make any excuse to say its bad instead of being happy for a show you love getting more eps but ill eventually watch the original you may be right

I could save you the trouble and just spoil the whole first season if you want.
Jan 19, 2018 7:09 AM
Jan 2018
Protaku said:
Elitheotaku20 said:

dosen't every one die? It said it in the current season
Jan 19, 2018 7:32 AM

Apr 2014
Elitheotaku20 said:
Protaku said:

Well if you want full spoilers
Jan 19, 2018 7:37 AM
Jan 2018
Protaku said:
Elitheotaku20 said:

Well if you want full spoilers
makes sense hopefully it gets explained in upcoming episodes
Jan 19, 2018 1:50 PM

Jan 2009
I can't close the door
Why?
Because I'm already dead
NANI!?!?!!??!?!

Ninja Kenshiro confirmed, there's still hope for this series

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 21, 2018 5:37 PM
Jan 2018
I think genosuke and oboro still alive and have children. Hattorri clan keep it secret
Jan 22, 2018 8:51 AM

Jun 2007
I haven't watched Basilisk in ages, yet I remembered straight away the scroll from the original was said to have never been opened/used and instead gathered dust at the end. The new shogun was picked without it; adding to the feeling of nihilistic emptiness it ended with. Ret-conning even that... how stupid did this new writer think fans are to overlook outright contradicting that, let alone incest twin wtf?

Sokah said:
TASTE MY NINJA TECHNIQUE! *disappears in a puff of smoke to never watch this garbage again*

Not sure if that/sweat power or the still image showing some guy before that, randomly, was the highlight. Impossible to tell what's going on when so poorly directed on a shoe-string budget. The dialogue does not help matters. Guy at end explained how he was dead after already being dead, as well. Worked as a comedy.
Jan 22, 2018 10:51 AM
Dec 2016
is Tenzen Yakushiji back?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2018 11:45 AM

Jun 2007
Izzthewizz said:
is Tenzen Yakushiji back?

Forgot about that: the fact they're being ambiguous over whether he could die, and even showing or mentioning him at all, is a major red flag suggesting they're gonna ret-con his death. I mean, having an immortal parasite thing survive makes more sense than... incest twins without sex. There was that jumbled mess of a first episode that randomly mentioned a tree being named after him, for no apparent reason...

Tbh, this is going to be shitfest regardless so them reviving The Immortal Rapist would at least make it entertaining. They just better have him (failing) to rape more ninja women, and give him the same voice actor.
Jan 22, 2018 10:05 PM
Sep 2013
I was hoping that spunky cloth girl would be the main heroine, not because I don't like the sweet gentle type girl (in fact I think the "tough" action girl is overrated as fuck), but Oboro was already like that so it would had been nice to have a change of pace.

One thing that really irks me about plot like this and shonen mangas like Naruto and Fairy Tails is that these ninjas and wizards are INFINITELY more powerful than the monarch and his army and yet they don't just take over. Granted, you could argue that they ARE in charge but why do they have pretend that they're not, why do they not exert their political will, why do they just not get rid of these figureheads? Also granted, Fairy Tails and many shonens are so stupid and silly that nothing needs to actually make sense but still.

Also granted, in this series, we do not know how much power the shogunate's top brass possess (especially considering how big a deal Hanzo and Munenori are in history) but the Tokugawa bloodline clearly possess nothing so why do people follow them? In a world where people have super-powers, ain't nobody gonna follow a guy who don't got any powers himself; even if we're talking about wealth and resources, those who these superpowers would CLEARLY be in a huge advantage in that regards as well.
MrNTRJan 22, 2018 10:09 PM
Jan 25, 2018 11:20 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
This second episode was better than that before!!!
The kids and son/daughter of two great shinobi and they have great power!!!!
Jan 28, 2018 4:54 AM

Jul 2008
Oh here we go again...
Jan 29, 2018 3:24 AM

Jul 2009
So Oboro had kids before dying?
But we did not see nothing that showed that she was pregnant, I am sure she could hide it with the kimono, but even so...

It was sad to remember what happened and to think that maybe the siblings might have to go under that again...
Jan 30, 2018 9:47 AM

Mar 2009
What the hell? Oboro and Gennosuke somehow managed to have kids? When was Oboro pregnant in the first series?
Mar 14, 2018 5:58 PM
Dec 2014
This is what Boruto is compared to Naruto.
Feb 27, 2020 8:27 PM
Oct 2017
ok they obviously just made a second season when there wasn’t supposed to be one. oboro and gennosuke never did the nasty, remember that one scene where she kinda implies she wants to but gennosuke declined? also theres no way they could've hidden the children from their clans, or that they wouldve just given them away and didnt think about them at all.
Nov 10, 2023 8:04 AM

Dec 2022
A lot of hassle in the original Basilisk could've been avoided if Oboro just followed Gennosuke when he left Iga, but it looks like Hibiki is more willing to follow Hachirou.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 24 Discussion

bisikerim - Aug 8, 2018

7 by _MushiRock11_ »»
Feb 18, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 23 Discussion

Archean-Return - Nov 11, 2023

0 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 12:52 PM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 22 Discussion

0 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 10:57 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 21 Discussion

0 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 10:25 AM

Poll: » Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou Episode 20 Discussion

Stark700 - May 21, 2018

12 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 11, 2023 9:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.