Forums

Most realistic depiction of bullying in anime

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 14, 2018 10:32 PM

Aug 2010
15poundfish said:
oryouohagi said:

Where is it mentioned that she is half-japanese? Is it in the novel? I can't recall it?

Its never explicitly said but its strongly implied because she has silver hair and blue eyes. European/half characters are often portrayed as have silver/blonde hair and blue/green eyes in anime. Its a possible that the hair color and eye color is to describe her as an eccentric archetype, but considering most character's in the anime have more natural hair color and eye color except the loli, the sister and the artist.

Oh okay, if it's not mentioned, then trust me, she's not a half. Or the illustrator guy is also half? Or the other eccentric colored characters? Her hair is that color because it's a light novel, and she's the heroine. Not good making up facts for your own opinion.

But I guess this logic makes Miyauchi Renge a half-Japanese too.

P.S.:Show me a foreigner in real life with hair and eyes like her, although if you did somehow find one, I'll still call shenanigans.
Jan 15, 2018 12:08 AM

Feb 2016
Hell Girl had some fantastic episodes about bullying. They are one of the very few shows that handle it both seriously and fairly realistically, and have it as the focus of (that episode's) story. Nothing did it quite as well IMO.
Jan 15, 2018 6:07 AM
Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:

Oh okay, if it's not mentioned, then trust me, she's not a half. Or the illustrator guy is also half? Or the other eccentric colored characters? Her hair is that color because it's a light novel, and she's the heroine. Not good making up facts for your own opinion.

But I guess this logic makes Miyauchi Renge a half-Japanese too.

P.S.:Show me a foreigner in real life with hair and eyes like her, although if you did somehow find one, I'll still call shenanigans.
Hair color in anime is used to represent either foreigner and/or personality types. It has nothing to do with how they look in real life but its a form of visual language used in anime. Silver hair/Blonde hair is generally used for foreigner characters or "special" characters. These characters can be magical beings, foreigners, highly skilled prodigies, or part of the out group.

There are some Europeans that have natural platinum hair color and also many albino's have platinum/white hair. They are rare but they do exist. I live in an area where the largest population demographic is east asian and met some platinum haired individuals in my lifetime. Renge also doesn't have silver hair, she actually has light blue hair. The anime is ambiguous about the clear reason why she is bullied but the most likely reason is her hair color or her being eccentric. Its not unheard of kids being bullied for their natural hair color in Japan that falls outside the norm either by students or the actual school itself. Remember this anime is made in Japan. Anime is influenced by Japanese cultural norms and assumptions that are not made in a vacuum.
Jan 15, 2018 6:26 AM

Aug 2010
@15poundfish Again, if it's not implied in the SERIES, neither in the ORIGINAL, you can rule out the possibility of that. It's just shenanigans to support your opinion, without any base.

And if she was a foreigner, it would have been mentioned at least at the bullying part, like in any other piece about bullying foreigners. You can't convince me about that.

So Renge's hair symbolises her eccentricness (although other characters in the show have relatively natural hair colors except for dagashiya, who's a deliquent), in THIS show although it's not due to Nayuta's eccentricness, but due to her being a foreigner, and that is why she got bullied, although it was never mentioned. I'm starting to get your point.

I so knew you were going to say people have natural platinum (or ashen) hair, and yes, they do, although it's a version of blonde, not something outright silver:

But hey, if you really want to think she was bullied because of her unusual hair, who am I to stop you.

Although it wasn't written anywhere (and probably isn't true)

Sorry for being salty, but this is just too much shenanigans for me.
Jan 15, 2018 8:23 AM

Oct 2012
I would say Boku Dake ga Inai Machi has a little bit of realistic bullying, if you could imagine what would have happened if MC didn't step in (i.e. what happened in the original timeline). Most bullying isn't necessarily the cartoonish I'm going to beat you up kind, but how people talk shit about people behind their backs, conspire, and blame them for stuff. Like your entire class thinks you're a "loser" so no one stands up for you even if someone was blatantly harassing you, and I think Boku Dake showed how people could become isolated after losing their reputation. It's the same as MC in Koe no Katachi.

As much as I loved GTO, I wouldn't say it was that realistic.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 15, 2018 6:01 PM
Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:
@15poundfish Again, if it's not implied in the SERIES, neither in the ORIGINAL, you can rule out the possibility of that. It's just shenanigans to support your opinion, without any base.

And if she was a foreigner, it would have been mentioned at least at the bullying part, like in any other piece about bullying foreigners. You can't convince me about that.

So Renge's hair symbolises her eccentricness (although other characters in the show have relatively natural hair colors except for dagashiya, who's a deliquent), in THIS show although it's not due to Nayuta's eccentricness, but due to her being a foreigner, and that is why she got bullied, although it was never mentioned. I'm starting to get your point.

I so knew you were going to say people have natural platinum (or ashen) hair, and yes, they do, although it's a version of blonde, not something outright silver:

But hey, if you really want to think she was bullied because of her unusual hair, who am I to stop you.

Although it wasn't written anywhere (and probably isn't true)

Sorry for being salty, but this is just too much shenanigans for me.

as I pointed out though that the color of hair in anime doesn't have to represent actual human hair color in real life. Silver/blonde hair can be represented as European foreigner or a plethora of other personality types I have referenced before. Nayuta's name is never stated in the anime, not even the main character knows her real name in the anime. If she has a foreign name, she would likely have to use Japanese pen name to be successful in the light novel industry, although her having a pen name doesn't necessarily mean she is a foreigner. From what the anime shows, the bullying in her past was extreme enough that she dropped out of school. If we assume that she is bullied because she is foreigner or based on her hair color without any thing explicitly stated its understandable why she faced extreme bullying in school. Its not unheard of in Japanese school's to have dress code that includes hair color and hair style. This archaic tradition occurs in some Japanese schools that there are stories of bullying from the students because of their natural hair color. School's will force the student to prove that is their actual natural hair color or dye their hair and students will bully the student for "trying to stand out" or given special treatment from the dress code standards.
Jan 15, 2018 7:47 PM

Aug 2014
I haven't watched 3gatsu,
It's a bullying ? Lol what.

The most realistic i saw are Koe no Katachi so far , ive seen that IRL.
School bullying are a thing in my country though especially when pass that highschool and goes to college/university.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Your top 5 anime couples

Anjumhossain - Dec 12, 2022

37 by Chileno-12 »»
2 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

43 by DoisacChopper »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

39 by weebtoge »»
8 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 10 hours ago

36 by KenaiPhoenix »»
16 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

37 by ChrisBlitz »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.