Forum Settings
Forums

Most realistic depiction of bullying in anime

New
Jan 14, 2018 8:11 AM

Aug 2010
What do you guys think is the most realistic depiction of bullying an anime has ever had?

The topic came to me while watching 3gatsu, and couldn't get out of my head since then.

I think 3gatsu's depiction is too idealistic. It does not properly introduce the sense of isolation induced by bullying, or being shunned.

A much more realistic - but a bit still on the idealistic side - is the bullying in Koe no Katachi. Although the manga has more time to depict it, the movie does a great job too. You can't help but feel the despair while watching it.

So which anime had the most realistic bullying scenes in it, and why do you think so?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2018 8:14 AM

Apr 2016
Every time some primal alpha male MC is doing some shady things to some other male MC.
Jan 14, 2018 8:16 AM

Oct 2015
Tsundere beating up the main male character. They only slipped and now they are getting a 100-ton hammer on their head :(

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 14, 2018 8:17 AM

Nov 2016
I'd also go with 3-gatsu,this multifaceted topic with all it's layers was handled way too good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2018 8:20 AM

Aug 2010
-Lofn- said:
Tsundere beating up the main male character. They only slipped and now they are getting a 100-ton hammer on their head :(

Well, I don't know whether I'd call that realistic, but I still hate that trope... Right alongside the donkan MC trope.
Jan 14, 2018 8:22 AM

Oct 2015
oryouohagi said:
-Lofn- said:

Well, I don't know whether I'd call that realistic, but I still hate that trope... Right alongside the donkan MC trope.
I was joking m8 xD

I don't really know, haven't seen much bullying in real life, nor watch news and I haven't watched any anime with bullying aside Koe no Katachi I guess.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Jan 14, 2018 8:22 AM

Dec 2015
The first act of Koe no Katachi...but usually not the rest.
Jan 14, 2018 8:27 AM

Aug 2010
Bobby2Hands said:

Yes, it gets a lot softer and idealistic after the first part.
Swagernator said:
Every time some primal alpha male MC is doing some shady things to some other male MC.

Yay, I also like yaoi.
Jan 14, 2018 8:33 AM

Apr 2016
oryouohagi said:
Yay, I also like yaoi.

I don't understand what people can enjoy those forced relationships there.

Its just pure bullying.
Jan 14, 2018 8:35 AM

Aug 2010
Swagernator said:
oryouohagi said:
Yay, I also like yaoi.

Its just pure bullying.

Yay, I don't know either. Never seen a yaoi in my life, but from what I've heard, it's basically rape (uke-seme).
Jan 14, 2018 8:38 AM

Apr 2016
oryouohagi said:
it's basically rape (uke-seme).

Yeah exactly, the "toy" MC is forced to be in relationship with another male MC against his will. And it's like that in every Yaoi show. Guess people like rape that much.
Jan 14, 2018 8:39 AM

Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
oryouohagi said:
Yay, I also like yaoi.

Its just pure bullying.

Like every relationship with a tsundere
Jan 14, 2018 8:41 AM

Apr 2016
tragedydesu said:

Oh come on man, like if Rem x Subaru wasn't forced ( Ν‘° ΝœΚ– Ν‘°)
Jan 14, 2018 8:44 AM

Aug 2010
Swagernator said:
tragedydesu said:

Nope, it wasn't forced, Rem is simply a doormat bereft of a personality or a will. ( Ν‘° ΝœΚ– Ν‘°)
Jan 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Jul 2015
Swagernator said:
tragedydesu said:

nah it wasn't , she have a good reason to like him

@oryouohagi
yukinoshita fags ....
Jan 14, 2018 8:54 AM

Aug 2015
Vivid Strike

Jokes aside, I think the bullying in Aku no Hana is kind of realistic, especially the social isolation. There are a couple scenes where other people awkwardly ignore the victim and isolate him, highlighting the mental side of bullying as it isn't always physical. Haven't watched the Koe no Katachi movie so I don't know if it handles anything differently but the manga is probably the most realistic you'll get.
SignifieJan 14, 2018 9:06 AM
Jan 14, 2018 8:58 AM
Jun 2015
I would say the most realistic depiction of bullying in anime are violent tsundere romances. koe no katachi depiction of bullying was not realistic especially its laughable reaction to suicide where the response to a suicide victim is to shame them and take umbrage that they caused inconvenience to them. Its collectivist bullshit propaganda, its no wonder japan has a big issue with bullying. The proper response to bullying is always to alert authorities or retaliate.
Jan 14, 2018 9:02 AM
Jul 2018
Bobby2Hands said:

Not necessarily. Kids can be very stupid and realize their mistakes, when they are growing up.
So tbh, I also came to good terms with people, who did something similar / close to bullying back then. Shit happens between kids and teens. ^^"

If you mean Ueno: Yeah, I thought she was just there to create more melodrama in the second half. The first half was really good imo.

What bugged me on a personal level was the fact that she rarely fought back, but well... people are different and they react in different ways.
She said, she reacted that way, because she already tried to give her best and hated herself.

Tho I think 3-gatsu no Lion really did it better overall That was awesome. Awesome in a soul-wrecking way.
removed-userJan 14, 2018 9:12 AM
Jan 14, 2018 9:03 AM

Jun 2009
Koe no Katachi has the most realistic depiction of bullying in anime in my opinion. People tend to laugh at or talk behind the back of disabled people, even if they try to act like they're supportive and kind on the surface.
The physical fight between the two main leads when they were children was the most realistic scene of the anime. Though it was done better in the manga in my opinion because it made it seem longer. It was more heartwrenching in the manga.
I also liked that it depicted the consequences of bullying and how a former bully can become alienated from his peers and become the victim of bullying himself.
Jan 14, 2018 9:05 AM

Dec 2015
Maneki-Mew said:
Bobby2Hands said:

Not necessarily. Kids can be very stupid and realize their mistakes, when they are growing up. So tbh, I also came to good terms with people, who did something similar / close to bullying back then. Shit happens between kids and teens. ^^"
If you mean Ueno: Yeah, I thought she was just there to create melodrama.

Yeah I know, that's why I used the qualifier "usually".
Jan 14, 2018 9:06 AM

Aug 2010
15poundfish said:
I would say the most realistic depiction of bullying in anime are violent tsundere romances. koe no katachi depiction of bullying was not realistic especially its laughable reaction to suicide where the response to a suicide victim is to shame them and take umbrage that they caused inconvenience to them. Its collectivist bullshit propaganda, its no wonder japan has a big issue with bullying. The proper response to bullying is always to alert authorities or retaliate.

Yes, it's best to push someone who just tried to jump off a fucking building. Also, that wasn't due to bullying...
tragedydesu said:

@oryouohagi
yukinoshita fags ....

Oh, you can use BBCode?

So, who are you 'rooting' for in Snafu then?
Jan 14, 2018 9:07 AM

Feb 2010
If 3-gatsu doesn't properly portray the feeling of isolation then idk which show does.
I've only seen s1 so far, but it also struck me as being less about external reasons (like bullying) and more about internal ones (like depression). And it's pretty fucking good at portraying that feeling of isolation that comes with it.

But maybe there is an arc focusing more on bullying in the 2nd season in which case I can't comment on it. It just struck me as odd to criticize 3-gatsu for what I found most impressive about it in S1, the realistic and organic depiction of that feeling of anxiety and isolation.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 14, 2018 9:10 AM

Jun 2015
I'd go with imouto sae:

Nobody talks about it, and then you just find out that person x was bullied when they were younger.
Jan 14, 2018 9:12 AM

Jul 2015
@oryouohagi
i didn't watch s2 because the ending is too clear

i liked yui the most
Jan 14, 2018 9:13 AM

Aug 2010
@Pullman there are like 14 eps in the second season focusing on bullying, I was talking about that.

Brb said:
I'd go with imouto sae:

Nobody talks about it, and then you just find out that person x was bullied when they were younger.

That was a bit over-dramatized for me. Couldn't really get into that aspect
Jan 14, 2018 9:14 AM

Aug 2010
tragedydesu said:
@oryouohagi
i didn't watch s2 because the ending is too clear

i liked yui the most

I took you for an irohafag, I have to apologize.
Jan 14, 2018 9:33 AM

Jun 2013
Maybe Aku no Hana and A Lollypop or a Bullet. I wouldn't call them the most realistic depiction, but these two don't really sugarcoat the theme. They are so fucked up the MCs develop some sort of Stockholm Syndrome feelings for the abusers. Being a logical person that I am, it's frustrating to watch at some point.
Jan 14, 2018 9:36 AM

Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:
@Pullman there are like 14 eps in the second season focusing on bullying, I was talking about that.

Brb said:
I'd go with imouto sae:

How was it overly dramatized. It was basically a 1 minute skit about Nayuta saying "I was bullied boo hoo hoo" followed by an overly long explanation about what saved her from the bullying and her love for Itsuki. The bullying was perfectly rational (the victims rarely talk about it during it, but instead look for outlets).

PS. You were talking about bullying itself, not post-bullying, so the response had that in mind.
Jan 14, 2018 9:41 AM

Aug 2010
Brb said:
oryouohagi said:

How was it overly dramatized. It was basically a 1 minute skit about Nayuta saying "I was bullied boo hoo hoo" followed by an overly long explanation about what saved her from the bullying and her love for Itsuki. The bullying was perfectly rational (the victims rarely talk about it during it, but instead look for outlets).

PS. You were talking about bullying itself, not post-bullying, so the response had that in mind.

Exactly, I can't even begin to imagine how someone as attractive as her could get bullied, if not for the sake of drama. You could probably say that for the other shows, as anime characters tend to look attractive, but this one especially boggles me.
Jan 14, 2018 9:53 AM

Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:
Brb said:

Exactly, I can't even begin to imagine how someone as attractive as her could get bullied, if not for the sake of drama. You could probably say that for the other shows, as anime characters tend to look attractive, but this one especially boggles me.

Wait what? It wasn't dramatized (like I said, 1 minute long, heck probably might be even less).

Did you like, sniff something weird or something?
Jan 14, 2018 9:56 AM
Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:

Yes, it's best to push someone who just tried to jump off a fucking building. Also, that wasn't due to bullying...
lol, I don't think we watched the same anime. The portrayal of suicide in that anime has characters including family members shaming the victim for attempting suicide.
Jan 14, 2018 10:01 AM

Jul 2017
Say I Love You had some realistic instances of bullying, or at least the isolation that comes from others due to someone being jealous

Clannad AS although brief, had some realistic bullying with

Kuroko's Basket also had 'bullying' in it but it has more of the pompous attitude bullying
Jan 14, 2018 10:09 AM

Aug 2010
Brb said:
oryouohagi said:

Wait what? It wasn't dramatized (like I said, 1 minute long, heck probably might be even less).

Did you like, sniff something weird or something?

It's mentioned a few times in the show with bits of flashback. And I described why I feel it was overdramatized.
Even a half minute segment is enough to do that for me.
Jan 14, 2018 10:11 AM
Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:
one as attractive as her could get bullied, if not for the sake of drama. You could probably say that for the other shows, as anime characters tend to look attractive, but this one especially boggles me.
She is half japanese and half foreigner which explains everything. Japan can still be a very racist and xenophobic country where its not uncommon to hear stories of mix-raced japanese being bullied in school and the workforce.
Jan 14, 2018 10:11 AM

Oct 2012
Hands down 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season and Koe no Katachi.

AnimeMangaSteamBakaBT

7 Colors of Kira Kira Douga

“Exactly as planned.”
Jan 14, 2018 10:15 AM

Aug 2010
15poundfish said:
oryouohagi said:
one as attractive as her could get bullied, if not for the sake of drama. You could probably say that for the other shows, as anime characters tend to look attractive, but this one especially boggles me.
She is half japanese and half foreigner which explains everything. Japan can still be a very racist and xenophobic country where its not uncommon to hear stories of mix-raced japanese being bullied in school and the workforce.

Where is it mentioned that she is half-japanese? Is it in the novel? I can't recall it?

Raito said:

Don't forget about GTO. Depicts it in a cruel but kind of realistic manner.
Jan 14, 2018 10:23 AM

Mar 2015
Hana yori Dango, liked the real life drama better tho!
Jan 14, 2018 10:24 AM

Oct 2012
oryouohagi said:

Raito said:

Don't forget about GTO. Depicts it in a cruel but kind of realistic manner.

This! Absolutely, GTO does it masterfully.

AnimeMangaSteamBakaBT

7 Colors of Kira Kira Douga

“Exactly as planned.”
Jan 14, 2018 11:09 AM

Feb 2016
Aku no Hana is the first thing which comes to my mind. I also think its quite underappreciated and that's most likely only because of the art style.
Jan 14, 2018 11:13 AM

Mar 2016
For me it's Doraemon which is the closest to realistic depiction of Bullying in anime only

Korean Manwhas are always unforgiving to their bullying elements like Dokgo, like they were really close to reality which infuriates the readers, though there's a lot of Classic Japanese manga like Real are similar to modern manwha.
youseikiJan 14, 2018 11:17 AM
Jan 14, 2018 11:49 AM

Nov 2016
Teru Mikami from Death Note. Maybe not the most realistic depiction ever but it's the one I know. Basically he defended kids from bullies by getting himself beat up instead. I find incredibly realistic that no adults or teachers raised a finger to help stop the bullying. It was so shitty that he hoped God would strike down the bullies.

Toji Suzuhara from Evangelion is also a good one. He punches Shinji for being responsible of his sister's injuries, but he later admits that he was dumb and needed to take out his anger on someone.
Jan 14, 2018 8:55 PM
Jun 2015
velvetPhos said:
15poundfish said:
The portrayal of suicide in that anime has characters including family members shaming the victim for attempting suicide.

For the 1st one

For the 2nd one

lol, rewatch the anime without your rose colored glasses. If you are going to say I am wrong you should at least disprove my points first. The response to the attempted suicide victim was actually counterproductive to the healing of the victims. The motivation for the suicide is irrelevant to how one should respond to help the victim overcome the ordeal.

Here is a decent resource on the do's and don'ts of dealing with suicide attempt survivors. Watch the scenes again and you can recognize a lot of the don'ts manifest in the anime.
https://www.suicideline.org.au/resource/supporting-someone-after-suicide-attempt/
Jan 14, 2018 9:34 PM

Sep 2017
this is the most realistic depiction of bullying i have set to see, beating the likes of the extremely unrealistic koe no katachi
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 14, 2018 9:44 PM
Jun 2015
oryouohagi said:
15poundfish said:

Where is it mentioned that she is half-japanese? Is it in the novel? I can't recall it?

Its never explicitly said but its strongly implied because she has silver hair and blue eyes. European/half characters are often portrayed as have silver/blonde hair and blue/green eyes in anime. Its a possible that the hair color and eye color is to describe her as an eccentric archetype, but considering most character's in the anime have more natural hair color and eye color except the loli, the sister and the artist.
Jan 14, 2018 9:46 PM

Jan 2018
i've never seen the level of bullying that happens it anime happen in real life.
Jan 14, 2018 9:51 PM

Jun 2011
Yugioh.
Especially how it was all about one-upsmenship.

Oniisama e... especially how it was about popularity and political/social power. This one creates isolation .

Evangelion- Jealousy, one upsmenship, because femme in a military position, and being blamed for shit that isn’t his fault but he believes everything is his fault do to being told he is worthless or treated like trash despite being worth a lot. And if you want isolation as a consequence this is your anime.
Energetic-NovaJan 14, 2018 10:02 PM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 14, 2018 9:54 PM
Jan 2017
Im sure someone already said it but probably a silent voice. Sure bullying only happens in the beginning but the rest of the series is a realistic result of what happens and when it goes too far
Jan 14, 2018 9:57 PM
Jun 2015
velvetPhos said:

I proved that both responses to suicide are realistic.
That’s all that I wanted to prove.
I have no intention of proving their responses are “right”.
I mean the reaction of the victim to the shaming, being shamed for attempting suicide in most cases is not going to heal the victim or make them feel better. In the anime shame and bullying is shown to heal suicide victims which is the reason for the claim of lack of realism. The character's being bitter assholes is realistic but not how the victims respond to it. There is a tendency in anime where author's believe that excessive shame and guilt can "scare someone straight" and help them overcome any emotional ordeal. Its ironic for an anime about bullying to use bullying as a way of preventing suicide.
Jan 14, 2018 10:00 PM

Dec 2014
There's this one hentai where the MC gets bullied a lot, but then he manned up and got revenge...... don't need to tell you what happened next. But that is the most realistic depiction of bullying.

Jan 14, 2018 10:11 PM
Aug 2016
Great Teacher Onizuka came to mind and March Comes in Like a Lion S2
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

25 by logopolis »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

20 by Jellybeanx »»
9 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 9 hours ago

7 by Zarutaku »»
15 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

45 by Ratris_Decision »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 4 hours ago

8 by Zarutaku »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.