Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kokkoku: Moment by Moment
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 14, 2018 7:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Pretty thrilling episode.
Jiisan is actually turning out to be more of a clever guy than I had expected. I really don't trust that Junji guy, feels like he's hiding something.

Regarding the story, I like the amount of psychology this episode with Juri still trying to adapt with her current situation. Damn, that ending..
Jan 14, 2018 8:42 AM

Apr 2010
Intense episode and that cliffhanger as well.
We have a lot to look forward to next week.

I have to say that the brother waking up could be very helpful to them but it seems he didn't realise yet that time has stopped.
And grandpa might not be in time either.
Jan 14, 2018 9:19 AM
Nov 2017
Lot of good suspense. That was a special cliffhanger.
Jan 14, 2018 9:31 AM

Sep 2015
Solid entertaining episode. The names are a little confusing with "The _____" though. I am assuming anyone with those names is suppose to be a monster right? Or generally connected to the Stasis? I am not sure, since the time stone grandpa used had a nickname "The Stone".

I heard about The Stalled and The Herald. What do we know about all of the "The _____" things so far?
Jan 14, 2018 9:38 AM

Dec 2014
Enjoyed this episode more than the messy first one. I'm still not sold on this anime; but it's been so long since I last watched a decent Mystery/psychological anime, that I'm hoping it will shape into something interesting.
Jan 14, 2018 9:41 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Now that was really fkin intriguing.

I like how this system works, that has me super interested.

''The Herald'' punishes those who harm ''The Stalled''. And the punished one turns into something that breathes life into another ''Stalled''?

You can also put up another stasis with the same spell.

Also there's this woman who's a wild card atm.
Jan 14, 2018 10:03 AM

Nov 2016
Intense episode,especially with that cliffhanger.

So far this show is doing a good job at keeping me interested,hope it keeps that up without getting to messy and turning into a trainwreck.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 14, 2018 10:05 AM

Jul 2014
A lot better than the first episode, a lot more tense and intriguing this time around. That was one hell of a cliffhanger as well, so it'll be interesting to see where that ends up going next week.
Jan 14, 2018 10:06 AM

Oct 2014
We got a lot of good info on stasis, but it looks like even the wisest character doesn't know all the rules of that world. That ambiguity makes the Herald even more ominous.
Juri was strangled... rip I guess. Then directly after seeing her die we were greeted with lots of fanservice of her. How tasteful, it's like they wanted the audience to feel disgusted with themselves.
Jan 14, 2018 10:47 AM

Jul 2016
I don't understand why they need his stone but i guess that will be answered soon enough
Jan 14, 2018 10:55 AM

Feb 2009
I'm really enjoying this so far. I wonder what other surprises this world has to offer.
Jan 14, 2018 11:01 AM

Sep 2013
They can't hurt the stopped ones or the monster will come.
The brother is awake and Juri gets captured and choked out.
Jan 14, 2018 11:08 AM

Jul 2017
Hope she beats the shit out of all those guys next ep
Jan 14, 2018 11:54 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
continues the suspense..was it strange, right? :/
Jan 14, 2018 12:14 PM

Jun 2014
I'm liking the suspense and mystery that this show has to offer so far. Hopefully it keeps this up without becoming a mess.

That ending though.....of course Juri won't actually be dead but I'm interested in seeing what's going to bail her out of this situation next episode.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 14, 2018 12:22 PM
Mar 2012
B.E.S.T O.P.E.N.I.N.G
Jan 14, 2018 12:26 PM

May 2015
I just love this opening song, so cool.
As for the episode, it's getting more interesting, I like how main characters are shown as ordinary people without any 'special' attitude, even though Jiisan actually has special powers.
Also Junji is intriguing, for some reason I like his character design a lot.
Jan 14, 2018 12:58 PM

Jan 2012
The plot thickens. So we learn a bit more about our religious zealot enemies, who may just be using that as a cover to kill people. We also learn the nature of that giant monster, guarding those who are frozen. It seems that when that goon was killed the jellyfish inside him awoke the frozen brother by entering him instead. I'm wondering if something similar might wake Makoto next week. Interestingly this episode ends with Juri, who I assumed was the only really safe family member, seemingly killed. Of course we knew that wouldn't really happen even before the preview showed her still alive. She's the mc! Still, what might be awakening within her? Seems we got some flashbacks coming, possibly related to this week's where that Majima woman was a child. Looked like she met a child Juri back then. The ending theme animation certainly makes it appear as if the have a connection anyway.
Jan 14, 2018 1:21 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I really like that there's rules and that we actually got a good explanation behind how this world/ability works

After that flashback thing, I feel like the new girl is DEFINITELY involved with the MC somehow (And maybe even her older brother) so I can't wait to see where her subplot goes especially since she's with the bad? people

And speaking of the bad people, I dunno how I feel about em yet but it's nice to know that they're not just randoms and are actually a full blown religious cult, so I wanna learn more about their motives and history now

That ending tho....If she's dead I'll be shocked
Jan 14, 2018 1:21 PM

Aug 2012
pekuses said:
B.E.S.T O.P.E.N.I.N.G

I thought the same, it's very different to the common.
Jan 14, 2018 3:14 PM

Aug 2013
This felt really dragged on. They repeated the guy getting his head crushed like 3 times.

Asspulls and plot convenience incoming judging from grandpa's "Even I don't know all the rules."

So, it seems like our MC has some hidden special OP power... not really my cup of tea.
Jan 14, 2018 3:20 PM
Dec 2017
This episode got super freaking intense... Yeah, I think this is my fav anime of the season so far.
Jan 14, 2018 3:20 PM

May 2015
Holy damn, that suspense at the end...

Even better than the first episode.

Jan 14, 2018 3:43 PM

Jan 2016
Better than the first episode imo, but damn, there were a lot more flashbacks than necessary...
Jan 14, 2018 3:45 PM

Jun 2015
This was quite the trilling episode. So the family was being spied on the whole time. Got to learn about The Handler. It goes after people who tries to kill the Stalled. That cliffhanger.
Jan 14, 2018 4:09 PM
Mar 2017
Why does not this anime have a "Supernatural" genre?
The question isn't "What anime do you like?" That is merely a list.
The question is "Why do you like it?" That tells a story. Your story.
Jan 14, 2018 4:25 PM

Jul 2013
definitely better than the first episode! it was quite suspenseful and i liked learning a bit more about the rules of the stasis world. animation was a bit more consistent too, at least i didn't particularly notice any "wtf" frames.

...iiiii'm still not convinced i'm gonna stick with it, though. i don't usually adhere to the "3 episode rule" (if ep 1 is bad or ep 2 is bad, i'll drop then and there) but i think i'm gonna have to give it one more go before i make my decision.
Jan 14, 2018 4:28 PM

Dec 2016
I'm glad this is starting to look like a pretty interesting thriller and I'm really digging this time stasis lore and such.

Also that ending, gah damn!
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 14, 2018 4:44 PM

Aug 2014
Another great episode. Most of my fears about pacing are out of the window now, the action took a backseat to the characters this episode.

I'm excited for more. What the heck is going on with Juri?! Clearly she has some kind of power/ability, likely related to the previous circumstances in which she entered the world of stasis, but what is it? It appears to be gated behind her memory loss, is that memory loss circumstantial or purposeful?

Honestly, I have no idea what she's going to be capable of doing. I don't think there's anything in the OP/ED that really hints at what she's able to do. The only thing I can think of right now is she has access to teleportation but can use it much more quickly effectively than grandpa. I supposed enhanced strength/speed is also possible (some kind of aspect of possession, related to how they enter the world of stasis by being possessed by the jellyfish spirit things).

Here's what I think we know so far:

1. The genuine love cult was put together by our main antagonists who have some kind of history relating to the stone - like a feud between families, though more like a struggle over supernatural powers. I think they're too serious and level-headed to JUST be people who researched the power and decided to pursue it. The cult is just a means to an end - a way to organize fanatical people to do their dirty work (their long-term goal is something akin to world domination).

EDIT: Actually, I think they're more sinister than a feuding family. Their lack of emotional response suggests conditioning, which seems unlikely unless they have a lot of experience with the supernatural/crazy shit, and potentially also a lot of confidence. It's possible they are a product of some other supernatural happenings related to stasis, part of some larger organization which deals with supernatural stuff (currently or formerly), or have a history of psychopathy/sociopathy/murder.

2. Their stone is inferior to the stone used by Juri & Co. With the camera they were able to know the exact moment when Juri & Co. used their stone, and performed a similar ritual involving their own jellyfish spirits so when Juri & Co. enter stasis, they can move to. It's clear that the aspect which allows movement with the world of stasis are the jellyfish spirits - if you have one of them within you, you can move in the world of stasis. So the ritual is two parts. First you call forth jellyfish spirits to possess you and others who you wish to bring into the world of stasis and then you invoke stasis, creating an instance of a "stasis world" at an instant in time. Cult & co. clearly have access to the jellyfish part of the spell, but not the "stasis" part. If the spell is merely a matter of saying the word, they may already know it from the hidden camera they placed in the Juri family residence.

3. When someone who can move in the stasis world dies, their jellyfish may move into another host. This can lead to situations in which completely random people enter the world of stasis, e.g. the woman with the dark hair who we're introduced to this episode. Per the first episode it looks like there may be other spirits/circumstances in which this can occur as well. It seems clear that the world of Kokkoku has multiple supernatural elements and will not be limited to the stone, stasis world, teleportation, and herald we've seen so far (though how many other elements will be introduced is still difficult to determine, I imagine there are at least a few that will play a part in the story).

---

Also, a side note, but it just occurred to me that Juri's white coat is oddly reminiscent of Okabe Rintarou's white lab coat in Steins;Gate. Anyone else notice that?
MatorJan 14, 2018 5:52 PM
Jan 14, 2018 4:51 PM

Feb 2014
I think I actually prefer that Jii-san doesnt really info dump about the powers/statis, makes it more believable.

Jan 14, 2018 7:03 PM
Apr 2013
Very enjoyable, i like the explanation of the world so far, not some giant info dump and adds just enough detail for being two episodes in. As long as the pulling out of powers and secret rules are kept to a minimum i'll be happy.
I think the whole art style is good, not your typical anime look with a more "realistic" approach if that makes sense. So far i have some good expectations and I hope it ends up being good
Jan 14, 2018 8:00 PM

Dec 2014
well wow this series gets more interesting as the episodes progress... I am liking it the whole overall genre...I kinda feel bad for the big brother
Jan 14, 2018 9:55 PM
Apr 2016
I wonder how many other creatures like the Handler are out there, and if the cult thing thinks they are all the Herald, or if the Herald is actually just a special Handler?
Phosphophyllite is best gem
Jan 14, 2018 10:22 PM
Jul 2013
kinda spaced out mid-way but this anime still seems promising. they have a lot to work with, i hope the plot pulls through
Jan 14, 2018 10:36 PM

May 2017
The brother was so stupid, lmao

thebrentinator24 said:
I'm liking the suspense and mystery that this show has to offer so far. Hopefully it keeps this up without becoming a mess.

That ending though.....of course Juri won't actually be dead but I'm interested in seeing what's going to bail her out of this situation next episode.

That situation demands her to teleport, so yeah, plot convenience, I don't see any other way, unless the handler recognizes she's a descendant, now that's even more of a plot convenience
Jan 14, 2018 10:53 PM
Jul 2018
Whoa what a feeling of suspense throughout this episode!! Plot twist getting more intense and that Cliffhanger!! Really loving this show so far and I hope this get consistent in terms of pacing to the end!

Btw I see manga actually got Award-Nominated Work. Cool.

Jan 15, 2018 12:00 AM

Jan 2014
The OP and ED are so lit. I thought this show was kind of lame, and it still is to a certain extent, but it's gradually getting me to like it. It just comes off as very Manglobe that I want more.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 15, 2018 12:04 AM
Dec 2015
SkyDrop said:
Whoa what a feeling of suspense throughout this episode!! Plot twist getting more intense and that Cliffhanger!! Really loving this show so far and I hope this get consistent in terms of pacing to the end!

Btw I see manga actually got Award-Nominated Work. Cool.

Yep, the manga got nominated in Taisho Awards along with another great manga like Houseki no Kuni, 3-gatsu no Lion, Shouwa Genrouko Rakugo Shinjuu etc.

I thought Geno studio adapted really well and this episode covered almost first volume of the manga. I'm really hope they adapting chapter 8 (probably at episode 4/5) like this, 'cause that's the story will get very interesting.
NotThisShitAgainJan 15, 2018 12:09 AM
Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong"

Jan 15, 2018 12:19 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
i suppose that the grandfather will arrive on time to save the young!!!
Jan 15, 2018 1:47 AM

Jul 2011
RebelPanda said:
We got a lot of good info on stasis, but it looks like even the wisest character doesn't know all the rules of that world. That ambiguity makes the Herald even more ominous.
Juri was strangled... rip I guess. Then directly after seeing her die we were greeted with lots of fanservice of her. How tasteful, it's like they wanted the audience to feel disgusted with themselves.

It totally ruins the impact, i still don't know why they choose that ending, on the 12 chapters of the manga that i have read none of this fits in, and on that note at the very end of the episode we got an image by who seems to be Ryoichi Ikegami... this worries me.
Jan 15, 2018 4:53 AM

Jul 2015
OMG THAT OPENING IS GREAT. But this is one hell of a situation they've gotten themselves in. Craps hittin the dang fan and were only two episodes in, this is gonna be one hell of a fight.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Jan 15, 2018 5:28 AM

Apr 2010
Damn they smashed through the material this episode. They skipped a lot, and they make Juri into a less intelligent and weaker overall character.

The way they are adapting this you won't be seeing no award nominated series lol
Jan 15, 2018 6:50 AM

May 2016
This show is starting off really great sadly it's getting overshadowed by all the sequels coming out this season, hopefully more people start picking it up.
Jan 15, 2018 7:19 AM

May 2016
Another show where I dont understand what I dont understand.

But I just cant stop watching this show :|
Jan 15, 2018 10:22 AM

Feb 2016
Wow, that was intense, I hope soon enough that they will explain more about what the heck is going on. I just hope they don't left us without any answers like Inuyashiki and Houseki no Kuni, otherwise it would really suck
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 15, 2018 12:03 PM
Apr 2016
HereticHunter said:
Wow, that was intense, I hope soon enough that they will explain more about what the heck is going on. I just hope they don't left us without any answers like Inuyashiki and Houseki no Kuni, otherwise it would really suck

Inuyashiki had given you all the answers you need to fathom the story and its context. The question is, whether could fathom it or not.
Re:formed
Jan 15, 2018 12:05 PM

Nov 2016
I love the opening!

Maybe every person from this family has a special power. Jii-san's power is teleportation. Juri can't do it, so maybe she'll awake her own power next episode and use it to defend herself from those guys.

And what if the jellyfish can give special powers to someone by going inside their body? Tsubasa might have gained some power now...
Jan 15, 2018 12:40 PM

Feb 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
HereticHunter said:

Inuyashiki had given you all the answers you need to fathom the story and its context. The question is, whether could fathom it or not.

Oh please, Inuyashiki started with some random aliens that "Accidentally" reconstructed 2 human beings into weapons and the topic is never touched again.

But I see that you have to hide on a fake profile, the case is closed. Nice try
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 15, 2018 5:20 PM

Aug 2014
I was watching the OP again, and I noticed something interesting around the drop - a hand grabbing a heart. I'm now thinking that maybe Juri's power lets her phase through people/matter, like a ghost.
Jan 15, 2018 10:51 PM

Jun 2013
oh man that was intense
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2018

141 by fathandz »»
Nov 20, 2023 12:49 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 18, 2018

66 by fathandz »»
Nov 18, 2023 9:49 PM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 11, 2018

53 by fathandz »»
Nov 17, 2023 11:48 PM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2018

60 by fathandz »»
Nov 15, 2023 3:47 AM

Poll: » Kokkoku Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2018

43 by fathandz »»
Nov 12, 2023 9:51 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.