Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 12, 2018 1:37 PM
Dec 2015
Please list the anime with the highest budget ever, if exact numbers are known, list from top highest budget to bottom lower budget. I notice a correlation between budget and music/art and animation quality, so I am interested, but I am aware that the budget for all anime is not known. Only interested in modern 21st century anime, looking for series more than movies.
Jan 12, 2018 2:19 PM

May 2012
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2017-12-27/.125478
Read the accompanying comments, as well.

No one can answer your question since budgets are closely guarded secrets. Justin observes in that article that budgets are pretty flat across productions, though obviously there are exceptions. The two Shingeki no Bahamut shows probably cost more than average given they had deep-pocketed sponsors like the online gaming company cygames, NBCUniversal, Netflix and Amazon.
Jan 12, 2018 3:49 PM

Oct 2017
What is said above me is true.

Though Angels Egg was made in a economic bubble in the industry so it had a crazy budget(apparently).
Kamille's a man's name, and I'm a man!
Jan 12, 2018 4:16 PM
Sadist

Jun 2016
What you're looking for is probably going to be a film rather then a show. It will be something that took alot of time from going into production till release.

Sponsors and economic climate were mentioned, so that's probably helpful.

Staff and studio probably is also important to look at. A project from a big studio that has alot of hot staff positions filled and popular voice actors is an indicator. As would be a show with early licensing announcements.

I can't think of a clear winner off the top of my head, but perhaps someone else can share some insight on this.

P.S. Even if you find it, evidence of it might be hard to spot, Even big budget projects can overextend themselves and show the same types of shortcomings of smaller projects that do the same. Look at kimi no na wa for example.. Big budget.. Still fell short of everything it WANTED to accomplish and had to cut corners.
ValeofruinJan 12, 2018 4:33 PM
Jan 12, 2018 5:06 PM

Oct 2016
just guessing here, but if we think of budget its best to assume that the highest budget would've been used on a really long tv series with consistently good or even great animation. Not only that but the longer an anime is the longer you have to pay everyone involved in it, aswell as pay different va for different characters. Digibro said in a video that an average 13 episode anime, depending on quality, would cost around 3 million USD ( how reliable that might be but lets just take go from that). Considering all that i think its likely that HunterxHunter (2011) had probably one of the highest budgets for a tv series (estimated atleast 33 Million USD (by calculating the before mentioned number in correlation with the amount of episodes)). If we have to take a guess on highest budget for one episode, we would end up with a on of the high quality movies. Just from the quality of animation i would guess redline would win there, but something like the psycho pass movie or whatever could be possible as well.
Jan 12, 2018 5:39 PM

Feb 2017
As far as I know, Ghost in the Shell: SAC had the higher budget per episode of any anime series ever made.
Jan 12, 2018 7:13 PM
Sadist

Jun 2016
S_14 said:
As far as I know, Ghost in the Shell: SAC had the higher budget per episode of any anime series ever made.

This wouldn't suprise me... Given the monumental success of the series for its time.

End of evangelion or Attack on Titan probably had big budgets. Hideaki anno (Evangelion) clearly was committed to giving fans a proper ending to the series and I doubt he would start without the appropriate resources to fufill that vision.

As for Tetsorou Araki (AoT, Death Note, High School of the Dead), despite personally not being overly fond of the series hes directed (in terms of plot or characters), the man could be argued to be one of the greatest directors in anime. He has a reputation for directing works that have mass appeal and sell products. Frankly in light of this one could argue hes on par with Miyazaki or Makoto Shinkai.. I doubt his services are cheap.

Attack on Titan also had Yabuta Shuuhei on the project, albeit this was prior to the release of Parasyte, No Game No Life and Kabaneri, keeping these 2 directors employed alone was probably more cash then most would normally spend.
Jan 13, 2018 10:03 AM

Apr 2014
NICHIJOU!!!!!!! :D
Jan 13, 2018 10:04 AM

Aug 2014
its probably a movie rather than series in any case
Nov 27, 2018 1:10 PM
Nov 2018
Sword art online 3 had a big one watch the show and you'll see

More topics from this board

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - 5 hours ago

5 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
31 minutes ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
3 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
9 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Yesterday

8 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.