Forum Settings
Forums

does an anime that ignores a gender bug you?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 10, 2018 9:18 AM

Jul 2017
It kinda bugs me to be honest... For me, I want to see a balanced cast with both boys and girls. I tend to avoid animes that are only mainly filled with just girls/boys. But if it's anything like Mikakunin de Shinkoukei (main characters are girls and just one boy), then I might like it.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Jan 10, 2018 9:22 AM

Dec 2012
Not really, but kinda since it kills any chance of a romance subplot that isn't shounen/Shoujo ai.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 10, 2018 9:28 AM

Jun 2013
Nope, and I don't care. If it can make a good anime, so be it. NNB and Aria for instance ---mostly women with a few men peppered in for good measure. Don't be like the guy from the other thread who camplains about the lack of gay characters.. in freaking shonen anime at that. It's such a trivial thing to get bothered with.
Jan 10, 2018 9:51 AM

Jun 2011
Kruszer said:
Not really, but kinda since it kills any chance of a romance subplot that isn't shounen/Shoujo ai.
killing any chance of a romance plot.... just found a reason to love it
Jan 10, 2018 10:00 AM

Mar 2016
Killaclown said:
recently learned/realize that the manga that im reading has no women in it whatsoever, and i remember a discussion i had on here a few years back about the lack of girls in some anime that would makes sense that there aren't many women in it, and when they are there they aren't usually the greatest characters and may just be there for fanservice

It does bother me a little because I like the interactions between men and women. The way two men treat each other is vastly different from the way a man treats a woman and I like seeing the gentler side of humanity.

This is why I wish there were more romantic subplots in sports anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2018 10:02 AM

Jun 2014
I actually like a cast of all the same gender, because romance between two people of the opposite sex makes me want to vomit.

Jan 10, 2018 10:04 AM

Apr 2015
As long as it's cute girls, I don't mind.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jan 10, 2018 10:04 AM

Jun 2011
_Poochyena_ said:
Killaclown said:
recently learned/realize that the manga that im reading has no women in it whatsoever, and i remember a discussion i had on here a few years back about the lack of girls in some anime that would makes sense that there aren't many women in it, and when they are there they aren't usually the greatest characters and may just be there for fanservice

It does bother me a little because I like the interactions between men and women. The way two men treat each other is vastly different from the way a man treats a woman and I like seeing the gentler side of humanity.

as my comment above yours suggests, i am not a fan of romance so thats one of the things i like about sports anime (which was the type where i first had this discussion), though for some reason i love Bromance....... i swear im not gay lol
Jan 10, 2018 10:08 AM

Mar 2016
Killaclown said:
_Poochyena_ said:

as my comment above yours suggests, i am not a fan of romance so thats one of the things i like about sports anime (which was the type where i first had this discussion), though for some reason i love Bromance....... i swear im not gay lol

Nah, nothing homo about bromance man. I love bromance too actually and that's one of the greatest things about sports anime. A lot of people misinterpret strong bonds between men as homosexual interest and it's something that irritates me. I love shows like Kuroko's Basketball and Haikyuu because it depicts the closeness of men without treading into saucy territory.

Romance is probably my favorite genre, but I agree with you, I think the sports anime are better without it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2018 10:15 AM

Apr 2017
I never care about the dominating gender in any anime.

Sometimes, I don't even notice that, lol.

I don't watch anime for the characters, gomen.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 10, 2018 10:25 AM

Jun 2011
_Poochyena_ said:
Killaclown said:

Nah, nothing homo about bromance man. I love bromance too actually and that's one of the greatest things about sports anime. A lot of people misinterpret strong bonds between men as homosexual interest and it's something that irritates me. I love shows like Kuroko's Basketball and Haikyuu because it depicts the closeness of men without treading into saucy territory.

Romance is probably my favorite genre, but I agree with you, I think the sports anime are better without it.
totally agree, if anything it can be kind of "manly", like ive been into delinquent manga/movies/anime and theres a lot of that kind of thing with respecting the other guys strength.

good to hear that you agree on the sports anime even though your favorite genre is romance, i love my sports anime (hajime no ippo being my fav.), havent watched much recently though.
Jan 10, 2018 1:49 PM

Mar 2013
I've seen series where it's basically all girls, or all guys. As long as the characters are interesting and there is a decent plot, then I don't care if they are all the same gender.
Jan 10, 2018 5:14 PM

Dec 2012
Killaclown said:
Kruszer said:

Then unfortunately, despite our mutual homicidal urges towards clowns, we can not be friends. :p

Seriously though, fair enough, I didn't like the genre either until I saw the right one that changed my mind.
KruszerJan 10, 2018 5:22 PM
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 10, 2018 5:16 PM

Jan 2011
It doesn't bother me that much tbh. If that's the world author wanted to create then they are free to do so.
Jan 10, 2018 5:36 PM

Jun 2011
Kruszer said:
Killaclown said:

Then unfortunately, despite our mutual homicidal urges towards clowns, we can not be friends. :p

Seriously though, fair enough, I didn't like the genre either until I saw the right one that changed my mind.
we are even more antagonistic than you may think @Kruszer, It's killa clown! Over a decade of use and I never realized it can be read like that lol
KillaclownJan 10, 2018 5:49 PM
Jan 10, 2018 5:56 PM

Aug 2016
No. It doesn't matter to me. If the same sex characters happen to not be annoying, then i don't give a shit. Adding an opposite sex might actually ruin a little enjoyment of the show if they never intended to have one
Jan 10, 2018 6:08 PM
Jan 2017
Like Chrona from Soul Eater? Oh boy, you have nooo idea.
Jan 10, 2018 6:11 PM
Jul 2018
It bugs me, but more as a nitpick than anything.
No guys in Love Live guarantees that it won't become a shitty harem anime.
If I watch Kaiji and I want to see cute girls, I have ecchi anime for that.
Jan 10, 2018 6:19 PM

Dec 2012
Killaclown said:
Kruszer said:

we are even more antagonistic than you may think @Kruszer, It's killa clown! Over a decade of use and I never realized it can be read like that lol

Graaaaahhh! My nemesis, have at you! :p
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 10, 2018 7:02 PM

Apr 2011
All anime ignore at least one gender since there's an infinite amount of gender :^)
Jan 10, 2018 7:38 PM

Jun 2013
love live has next to no men and i enjoy the hell out of it but it is all girl school setting.

when it comes to more open world stories and theres a lack of women it bothers me.
Ideals, philosophy, art, culture. They live and die for the meme. - Kamukura Izuru

Jan 10, 2018 10:07 PM

Jun 2011
Kruszer said:
Killaclown said:

Graaaaahhh! My nemesis, have at you! :p
me and my floppy shoes will mess you up! Apparently we must be enemies.

I don't think my hatred of romance is a lack of seeing a good 1 though, I've seen plenty of shows with romance, I can even like it at times, but generally I wish it just stopped @Kruszer
Jan 10, 2018 10:53 PM

Dec 2012
I could say the same about a few genres I don't generally watch much of too. There are a few I like but mostly I'm not all that interested in them unless I'm in an experimenting mood.
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 10, 2018 11:32 PM
Jul 2015
I dislike all-female and all-male shows equally. I also dislike Harem shows where all the female cast like only 1 male. I'd rather watch shows with multiple couples or 2 harem groups centered on 2 male characters.

I'd also like to add the fact that a show can have a female MC with a balanced cast of females and males. Therefore, a show with a female MC doesn't necessarily have to be a Reverse Harem or An All-Female Show. An example of such a show is Animegataris, and Blend S.

Another example of such a story is, the Light Novel, Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho, that has a female MC, but it has a well-balanced cast of both genders, as there is 1 childhood friend male character that likes the MC, 2 other male characters of which one is that childhood friend's elder brother, and 3 female characters who're the MC's schoolmates and female friends. That LN deserves an Anime, as it is neither Reverse Harem nor Harem.

Anyway, if the female MC has an interesting personality that suits my taste, I will love to watch it, and the female MC in Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho, as well as the currently-airing Anime, Dame x Prince, meets that requirement. Both those female MCs makes lots of Tsukkomis in their inner monlogue, and that seems very relatable to me, as I too make lots of Inner Monologue Tsukkomis in real life whenever people make remarks that I find stupid or unintelligent or inaccurate. Of course, if I made those Tsukkomis and point out their mistakes in real life, I might invite a pointless argument over small mistakes and trivial inaccurate remarks, so most of the time I just keep silent, and kept my Tsukkomis in my inner monologues lol.
CoolitzHubertXVIJan 10, 2018 11:51 PM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Jan 10, 2018 11:46 PM

Aug 2014
Paul said:
I honestly thought this was going to be a topic on Houseki no Kuni.

does that bug you?
at first i was then i heard diamond saying niisan to yellow,
finally i realise the one that has gender arent bone, its only for flesh race and prob souls.

But it doesnt bug me that much,
This problems are currently an issue on the Houseki no Kuni wikia.
Jan 10, 2018 11:53 PM

Aug 2014
CoolitzHubertXVI said:
I dislike all-female and all-male shows equally. I also dislike Harem shows where all the female cast like only 1 male. I'd rather watch shows with multiple couples or 2 harem groups centered on 2 male characters.

I'd also like to add the fact that a show can have a female MC with a balanced cast of females and males. Therefore, a show with a female MC doesn't necessarily have to be a Reverse Harem or An All-Female Show. An example of such a show is Animegataris, and Blend S.

Another example of such a story is, the Light Novel, Tensei Shoujo no Rirekisho, that has a female MC, but it has a well-balanced cast of both genders, as there is 1 childhood friend male character that likes the MC, 2 other male characters of which one is that childhood friend's elder brother, and 3 female characters who're the MC's schoolmates and female friends. That LN deserves an Anime, as it is neither Reverse Harem nor Harem.

my reaction..

Blend S isnt a harem nor reverse harem, havent watch Animegataris either.
What terms you're looking for might be an equality for all character to get their own partner not just a trash 1D main/side character who'll never get any relationship.
I've read alot of story like those just try to avoid any harem genre because you'll rarely find one on those kind of genre
Jan 10, 2018 11:57 PM

Apr 2013
I prefer a balanced cast with pretty much as many women as men like Fairy Tail. I can handle an all women cast if it fits the anime like in Non No Biyori. All men cast works for some shows, but I try to avoid that lately. Which is the reason why I have not watched Hunter x Hunter yet, too many guys.
Jan 11, 2018 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
Not necessarily, but most if it ends in a wish fulfillment and "fetish"-feast.
Most of them focus more on the cute boys and girls in it than actually creating a good story and characters.

Especially harems and reverse harems.
I also don't know why one of Yona's dragons couldn't be female, for example. The reverse harem-vibes bug me.

I'm okay with sports-anime of one gender or something like Love Live, but they don't end up as my favorites as well.
Jan 11, 2018 9:56 AM

Jan 2014
it actually kinda does, most of the time I can't stand a all female cast anime.
Jan 11, 2018 10:07 AM

Mar 2012
No, I'm perfectly fine with watching anime with both all-boys and all-girls as main cast. But the down side of these shows is that some of them heavily sexualize and/or fetishize the characters to pander to the respective demographics, that is something that does annoy me.
Jan 11, 2018 10:53 AM

Feb 2015
I don't think that the quality of a show has something to do with the gender of the cast.
Jan 11, 2018 11:00 AM

May 2012
gender doesn't exist. there are only men and women. what you think is irrelevant to reality.
Jan 11, 2018 11:06 AM

Mar 2014
It depends. Female characters aren't all that important in yaoi and vice versa
PoeticJustice said:
gender doesn't exist. there are only men and women. what you think is irrelevant to reality.
Wrong. I'm an attack helicopter
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 11, 2018 10:08 PM

Jan 2014
Uh, it might depend on the show. Never really thought about it.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 12, 2018 1:31 AM
Jul 2018
-Spades- said:
Yes I can't stand it when there are no apache attack helicopters in my anime

i’m glad i wasn’t the only one who thought this first lmao
anyway it’s like if it looks like a girl and talks like a girl but might be a boy then it might be a hideyoshi
Jan 12, 2018 1:34 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Sadly to my own determent and maybe lack of good female group driven shows that aren't full on fan service or "cutesy" which can be fine for some series just not all around, I do prefer and will lean towards all male casts 9:1.
Jan 12, 2018 1:51 AM

Apr 2014
If it's fun, I don't give a fuck, that's al there is to it.
Jan 12, 2018 2:21 AM

Jun 2015

Nah not really, as long as the story is good and im enjoying the anime it doesn't really matter.
Jan 13, 2018 8:19 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
It only bothers me when the anime sucks or when its actual yuri/yaoi.
I would never give any anime full of genderless character a chance.
LeonhartAugustJan 13, 2018 9:47 AM
Jan 13, 2018 9:49 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Seiya said:
I actually like a cast of all the same gender, because romance between two people of the opposite sex makes me want to vomit.

B-b-but whats wrong with anime featuring such romance?
Jan 13, 2018 9:50 AM

Jun 2014
StrangerMist said:
Seiya said:

B-b-but whats wrong with anime featuring such romance?

I don't like girls, so I don't want to see a hot bishounen in the arms of a woman, sorry.

Jan 13, 2018 9:59 AM

Dec 2014
Doesn't really matter as long as the anime is good and there's a reason for it. For example a cute girls doing cute things show is totally in the clear for having no dudes. The same way an anime about an all boys school can pull off having no girls.
Jan 13, 2018 10:01 AM

Dec 2014
StrangerMist said:
It only bothers me when the anime sucks or when its actual yuri/yaoi.
I would never give any anime full of genderless character a chance.
There was one about rocks or minerals that aired recently and it was pretty good.
Jan 13, 2018 10:02 AM

Aug 2014
nope not at all

though i find the latter more common, lots of anime with girls and no guys rather than vice versa
Jan 15, 2018 7:59 PM

May 2016
I watch anime for cute anime girls, male characters are irrelevant to me.
Jan 15, 2018 8:00 PM

Mar 2013
There is little to distinguish male from female ladybugs. When you see a pair, the male ladybug is smaller than the female. During mating, the male grips the hard wings of the female, remaining on top of her for up to two hours. Under a microscope, the male ladybug's attributes become visible.
Jan 15, 2018 9:58 PM
Sep 2017
I think that's not problem as long as it has good plot, not "plot".
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Hottest character from any of your Anime Favorites OR Character Favorites? (profile)

IpreferEcchi - Apr 16

20 by IpreferEcchi »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

30 by IpreferEcchi »»
6 minutes ago

» Is there an extension that helps you fully block someone?

APolygons2 - 36 minutes ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

145 by MogKnight »»
17 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - 3 hours ago

18 by r3v3l3v3l »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.