Forum Settings
Forums

Iran Bans English in Primary Schools to Block ‘Cultural Invasion’

New
Jan 8, 2018 2:10 AM

Jan 2009
Iran has banned the teaching of English in primary schools, a senior education official said, after Islamic leaders warned that early learning of the language opened the way to a Western “cultural invasion.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/07/world/middleeast/iran-english-schools.html

which is more important preserving culture or better economy? if they choose better economy then no doubt they have to know english the language of free trade and globalization
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 8, 2018 2:11 AM

Apr 2016
Yeah, but if we ban arabian or whatever "muslim" language here in Europe, we would be called racists ...

LeL
Jan 8, 2018 2:16 AM

Apr 2014
Swagernator said:
Yeah, but if we ban arabian or whatever "muslim" language here in Europe, we would be called racists ...

LeL

Lol yeah, imagine if we tried banning Spanish here in the US, liberal riots for months on end and more burning of police cars for whatever reason.
I'm mexican so it's kind of fun imaging this actually lol. I'd be more bummed about losing out on easy credit high school and college courses ahaha
Jan 8, 2018 2:20 AM

Jan 2009
Protaku said:
Swagernator said:

LeL

Lol yeah, imagine if we tried banning Spanish here in the US, liberal riots for months on end and more burning of police cars for whatever reason.
I'm mexican so it's kind of fun imaging this actually lol. I'd be more bummed about losing out on easy credit high school and college courses ahaha

how about banning all religions that means republicans will no longer practice christianity too

just join the spiritual but not religious movement if you still want to believe in god
Jan 8, 2018 2:24 AM
Dec 2016
Here if we try to promote one language over others , people go nuts .
Govt is planning to make Hindi a language in UN but people are against it back home .

These issues are everywhere !
"You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny. " -Brihdaranyak Upanishad
Jan 8, 2018 2:33 AM

Apr 2014
isekai said:
Protaku said:

how about banning all religions that means republicans will no longer practice christianity too

just join the spiritual but not religious movement if you still want to believe in god

US was founded on Christian beliefs so I don't think that's right.
There is freedom of religion though it's a double edged sword tbh.
Jan 8, 2018 3:06 AM

Mar 2014
The Muslim conquest of Persia occurred 642-651. They're almost 1 400 years too late
Swagernator said:

LeL
*Persian
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 8, 2018 3:21 AM

Apr 2013
I was going to make a joke about how some crazy xenophobic users will use this to complain about how it's a shame Westerners don't treat foreign languages the simlarly in their own country. Imagine being so scared of latinos/arabs/blacks or whatever that you'd actually look at Iran's xenophobia in envy.

Absolute trash the lot of you.
Jan 8, 2018 3:27 AM
Jul 2018
What the flying fuck is Iranian goverment actually thinking? That's not the correct and the only way to prevent the Western invasion lol
Jan 8, 2018 5:06 AM

Jul 2015
emphatize w/ iranians missing out on many neat stuff
bc baned langage w/ so much material wirtten w/ it
Jan 8, 2018 5:11 AM

Jul 2012
Onii-chan said:
What the flying fuck is Iranian goverment actually thinking? That's not the correct and the only way to prevent the Western invasion lol

Muslims countries don't believe in logic because it's not in the Quran
Jan 8, 2018 5:30 AM

Sep 2016
Swagernator said:

LeL

Didn't you know only white people can be racist? I remember reading a fucking essay about that on some shitty website.

Lifeguard_wzrd said:
Onii-chan said:

Muslims countries don't believe in logic because it's not in the Quran

Jan 8, 2018 6:20 AM
Nov 2017
This could prove unpopular and mean defeat for the ruling regime at the next election.

Oh, I forgot. Iranian elections are meaningless as the regime stays in power whatever the result.
Jan 8, 2018 6:56 AM

Mar 2012
Protaku said:
Swagernator said:

LeL
Imagine holding the US to a higher standard of liberalism than Iran.

wariowariowario said:
Didn't you know only white people can be racist? I remember reading a fucking essay about that on some shitty website.
Without knowing which essay you read, I can safely say you misunderstood it.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 8, 2018 7:06 AM

Sep 2016
Josh said:
wariowariowario said:

Please, tell me how I must have misunderstood it.
Jan 8, 2018 7:39 AM

Aug 2013
Just more fodder for a new Iranian revolution.
Jan 8, 2018 7:42 AM

Nov 2008
Iran doesn't like money then. There are two main languages for business English and Chinese (usually Mandarin or Cantonese).

Jan 8, 2018 7:50 AM

Mar 2012
wariowariowario said:
Josh said:
Please, tell me how I must have misunderstood it.
It's out of the scope of this thread, so I will reply on your profile after this (if needed).

Usually articles that are misinterpreted as saying "only white people can be racist" are arguing for the "prejudice plus power" conception of racism, where the focus is on what people can actually do (power), rather than what people think (prejudice). These articles are usually written from an American or other Western perspective, in which white people are relatively powerful/privileged compared to non-white people. Thus the focus is on how white people manifest prejudice in their societies and what the effects are. This type of analysis does not assume that there is anything inherently different or special about white people. You could do something similar in a Chinese context, with Han people as the relatively powerful/privileged group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prejudice_plus_power

Whether this conception of racism is coherent or useful is a separate issue.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 8, 2018 9:41 AM

Mar 2014
Josh said:
Usually articles that are misinterpreted as saying "only white people can be racist" are arguing for the "prejudice plus power" conception of racism, where the focus is on what people can actually do (power), rather than what people think (prejudice). These articles are usually written from an American or other Western perspective, in which white people are relatively powerful/privileged compared to non-white people. Thus the focus is on how white people manifest prejudice in their societies and what the effects are. This type of analysis does not assume that there is anything inherently different or special about white people. You could do something similar in a Chinese context, with Han people as the relatively powerful/privileged group.

Awesome. I've always wanted to go to China and beat up a Chinese bloke because of his skin color, I hope the p + p activists will defend me as white women like me have no power in China and I am merely a victim of circumstance
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 8, 2018 11:02 AM

Sep 2016
Oh come on. They are still stuck with that old mentality. A language has nothing to do with cultural invasion (at least, not on a mass scale).
Jan 8, 2018 11:07 AM

Apr 2013
Comic_Sans said:
Josh said:

Awesome. I've always wanted to go to China and beat up a Chinese bloke because of his skin color, I hope the p + p activists will defend me as white women like me have no power in China and I am merely a victim of circumstance

Is deliberately misunderstanding Josh like your thing now? Nothing in his post or the linked article mentioned anything about "p+p activists" condoning acts of violence based on racial prejudice. Like he literally just explained that wasn't the case and you just ignored it anyways.

Jan 8, 2018 11:39 AM

Apr 2011
I don't see how stopping primary school from teaching English is gonna change anything. Mostly because primary school doesn't teach you that much to begin with.
Jan 8, 2018 11:40 AM

Dec 2016
This is clearly a step in the right direction to prevent the vocal cord parasite that Skull Face is going to unleash to stop the Patriots.
Jan 8, 2018 12:01 PM

Mar 2014
NudeBear said:
Is deliberately misunderstanding Josh like your thing now? Nothing in his post or the linked article mentioned anything about "p+p activists" condoning acts of violence based on racial prejudice. Like he literally just explained that wasn't the case and you just ignored it anyways
I have barely interacted with him so I don't see how it can "be my thing now" but ok

I read both his post and the linked article, both of them talk about the new "trendy" definition of racism which is that a person that belongs to a minority group without power can't be racist because racism = power + racial prejudice. Thus if the Chinese media or whatever were to accuse me of racism the p + p activists shouldn't have any problems arguing against them as white women, like I said, have no power to speak of in China
Nico- said:
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.