Forum Settings
Forums

If you erased the first anime you ever enjoyed from your memory and watched it again today, would you still enjoy it?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 10, 2018 2:17 PM

Aug 2015
My first anime was Digimon. I still like it a fair bit. Especially Tamers because that stood out from the other three seasons I watched.

❝ falling sick on a journey
my dream wanders around
fields of dry grass. ❞
()
Jan 10, 2018 2:18 PM

Nov 2016
The first anime I watched from start to end was SAO so no. Watched Toradora not long after that and it's still in my top 10 today. Wish that was my first instead.
Jan 10, 2018 2:19 PM

Feb 2016
Either Dragon Ball (Friend showed me when I was a kid. I watched most of it and got into DBZ games from that point on.) or maybe Blue Exorcist if childhood doesn't count.

Hung out with a friend online and there was a thing where we could pull up crackle and watch together (PlayStation Home) and he showed me Blue Exorcist. I don't think I really got into the scene quite yet though after watching Blue Exorcist. I think I remember watching a few others on Crackle but I still didn't fully dive in yet.

Not sure what my first anime was for when I fully jumped on the anime train. Just something on Netflix at the time is all I could say. Some of the early stuff I watched on there I can remember are: Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters [They only had Season 1], Sword Art Online, Rosario + Vampire, Vampire Knight, Freezing Vibration [I remember I watched the 2nd season, Vibration, then went back and saw S1.] & maybe Durarara!!. Couldn't tell you what was first though.

Might've been Yu-Gi-Oh! since that would've been something I already knew of. (I collected Yu-Gi-Oh! cards as a kid. Never watched the series though.)

Between Dragon Ball & Blue Exorcist (Or Ao no Exorcist if you prefer) I don't think I'd enjoy it as much as I originally did. Different mindset (age), seen alot of anime now and what not. Although stuff I saw on Netflix, the experience wouldn't really change much. Not much change from teen > adult. Although, I guess I would like Rosario + Vampire less.

Does the 'completely forgot' also bar in mind if I read the manga though? I've read the manga for Rosario + Vampire. Albeit, that wouldn't really change it much. I still would like it less than I originally did.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Jan 10, 2018 2:42 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
Tons of really nice answers here! Glad I asked this, this has been very interesting!
Jan 10, 2018 2:47 PM
Jun 2017
there're very small number of series that I enjoyed where if I think back about it, I'd not enjoying it
Jan 10, 2018 2:49 PM

Sep 2017
i probably wouldn't enjoy sailor moon as much as i did back then because my taste has matured.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 10, 2018 2:49 PM

May 2016
Not only would I enjoy it (Higurashi + Higurashi Kai), I'd pay good money to be able to forget it and watch it.

Then again, even without forgetting it, I'd absolutely love to do another rewatch, preferably with someone who hasn't seen it yet.
Jan 10, 2018 4:30 PM

Apr 2017
Definitely, I enjoyed the fuck out of Attack on Titan when I first watched. After a few months of watching anime I thought maybe it was just ''hype'' or ''seeing something new''. But then S2 came out and I enjoyed it as much as the first one.

Now if you are talking childhood anime, I don't know which one it was. Let's say it was Digimon. IDK, I might watch it again at some point, but I am aware of the nostalgia factor.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2018 4:39 PM

Jan 2017
Yep. the early parts of naruto were fun as hell. i wouldn't enjoy the other parts of the series tho.
Jan 10, 2018 4:44 PM

Jul 2017
Inazuma Eleven - I'm not sure. The second half of the season was really good, but I don't know if I'd be willing to sit through the first half at my age. Especially if it's 127 episodes long.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jan 10, 2018 4:49 PM
Oct 2017
Yeah nawww. My first few anime (that I saw once I became aware of what anime was) were harems and magic and I certainly don't gravitate to those genres anymore. And these were my first anime since I was so fascinated with how raunchy they were and how unique they were to the medium. And bewbs lol But the older action anime I've finished are definitely shows I plan to rewatch down the road.
Jan 10, 2018 5:01 PM

Oct 2017
I actually wish they erase my memory of watching Fate Zero, Madoka Magica, and Gurren Lagann so I can be blown out of mind all over again!
Jan 10, 2018 5:12 PM

Sep 2014
No, probably not. The first anime series I ever watched was RoboTech, and that doesn't really suit my tastes now.
Jan 10, 2018 5:15 PM

Aug 2009
Fullmetal Alchemist is still pretty solid. I wouldn't binge, but I'd still enjoy it.

...I should re-watch Fullmetal Alchemist.

Jan 10, 2018 5:24 PM

May 2014
So the anime that would be removed would be Naruto, and if I watched it in current day with no knowledge of it. I'm sure I'd still enjoy it a lot but I'd definitely notice more of its flaws while watching.
Jan 10, 2018 5:26 PM
Mar 2017
Yeah, Shiki was an excellent horror anime.
But if I had to erase an anime from my memory to rewatch it again, I'd say Higurashi.
I've seen a few horror anime, and that had to be the scariest one I watched.
Would love to just wipe my memory and rewatch it again.
Jan 10, 2018 5:27 PM

Jan 2011
I kinda enjoyed anime ever since I started watching them as a kid sooo hmm... I don't think I would enjoy yugioh shaman king or digimon now as much as I did as a kid.
Jan 10, 2018 5:47 PM

Jul 2017
my first anime i watched was dragon ball so ya I could enjoy I still love the series now
Jan 10, 2018 5:51 PM
Oct 2016
No, but not because it is bad. It was one piece, and there is no way I would pick up a show that long today. If I did, I’m not sure I would stick with it, after comparing the time investment with my enjoyment of it
Jan 10, 2018 5:52 PM
Sep 2017
It’s hard to say, the first anime I watched was Naruto and I was very young, me being older and watching Naruto for the first time wouldn’t be the same maybe
Jan 10, 2018 5:54 PM

Nov 2015
Mine was elfen lied, I loved it when I watched it , but my opinion on it changed alot so yeah I probably wouldn't enjoy nearly as much as when I first watched it, but I would definitely still love the opening/main theme song.
Jan 10, 2018 6:03 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
My first anime was Dragon Ball Z, so no, I might even drop it or put it on hold until I forget about it. Honestly the only good thing I remember about it were the few scenes that got me really excited as a kid, like when Goku got a new ability or form ect...
Jan 10, 2018 7:53 PM

Mar 2010
Dragon Ball Z was my first anime that I enjoyed. I would still enjoy it but nowhere near the same as I started DBZ when I was 6 years old on toonami. Shounen anime I consider a guilty pleasure of mine so I would definitely enjoy still watching DBZ. lol I even rewatch some arcs every now and then.
Jan 10, 2018 7:55 PM

Oct 2017
Code Geass will forever be a classic so I'll just stick with yes, I would still enjoy it
Jan 10, 2018 8:04 PM
Berserkfan69

May 2017
When I finished Dragon Ball Z I wished that I could erase my memory and experience it again. At the time DBZ was my favorite tv show, it left a void, but for whatever reason I thought it was the best anime and that any anime recommended to me wouldn't come close.
Jan 10, 2018 9:10 PM

Dec 2015
Probably not. Whenever I see an episode of Pokemon nowadays I'm kinda indifferent towards it. Same is probably true for DBZ.
Jan 10, 2018 9:10 PM

Apr 2015
It was Ranma 1/2, I can sit through it but I prolly would not be able to enjoy it as much
Jan 10, 2018 9:13 PM
Aug 2016
Yeah I would. For someone that enjoys harem trash, Infinite Stratos checked all the different boxes. It's getting to the point where I'm running out of harem's to watch.
Jan 10, 2018 9:15 PM

Feb 2015
That would be Dragon Ball Z. If I could convince myself to sit through the slow-paced episodes, I think I'd still enjoy it quite a lot, but probably not as much as when I watched it for the first time.
Jan 10, 2018 9:23 PM

Jan 2014
The first anime that I watched fully was soul eater and I found it pretty fun. I feel like I'd still enjoy it as equally today as its just a chill show. But I know of alot of other shows I wouldn't like as much now. Kinda sad but taste change.
☆・。・。☆・(* ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ~Aphotic ☆・。・。☆・゜
Jan 10, 2018 9:26 PM

Jul 2015
Dragon Ball. Since I grew up watching it, I probably wouldn't like it if I started watching it today.
Jan 10, 2018 9:41 PM

Feb 2016
I would definitely still enjoy it. I pretty much enjoyed majority of the anime I saw when I first got into it. I watched things like Death Note, Code Geass, Steins Gate, Clannad, etc. Even some shows that I think are bad now, I enjoyed when I saw them the first time around such as Gantz and Deadman Wonderland.
Jan 10, 2018 11:30 PM
Jun 2017
Well, the thing is, the first anime I've ever really enjoyed was Naruto and, growing up with it, of course it became my favorite anime of all time. However, if I'm being honest with myself, if I were to start watching it today from beginning to end, I don't think I would choose to even watch it at all, only because it has 700+ episodes and it would just take too much of my time, which is the reason why I'm happy to have grown up with it rather than just finding out about it today. >.< it's not that I mind longer series, I actually love them because I get to spend more time with the characters rather than saying goodbye, but even I have limits to how many episodes in an anime I'm willing to watch loll xD
Jan 11, 2018 12:19 AM
Ribbit

May 2015
I think it's interesting that the majority of people in this thread seem to give positive responses — that while potentially not as much, they would still enjoy their first anime today. It's kind of cool to think about how while taste may change and perspectives and whatnot may evolve, some things always stay the same and will always appeal to you.
In my case, I can't see myself ever growing out of my love for needlessly overpowered characters, so I imagine I'll always love most anime with characters like that, despite how much the rest of my tastes change. But I guess only time will tell.

In any case, that was just a blurb reflecting on the responses this thread has gotten and how people's tastes evolve lol.
Jan 11, 2018 1:22 PM

Nov 2015
kinda confused by everyone talking about rewatching their first series, instead of watching as if it were a new show, but I get it nonetheless.

If I'm answering the question right, I think if I were to not have watched my first anime when I did, and was able to start it now as a new series I still think I would've loved it just the same.
Excluding the shows I watched on TV as a kid (Dragonball, Pokemon, Digimon, Bakugan, and Beyblade) my first anime was Attack on Titan. The shock factor and pure energy I got out of binging that show was what got me into anime in the first place. Thinking about it at first, I couldn't be sure that I would like it as well, but since a lot of my favorite shows happen to be top ranked (popularity-wise) I think it's safe to say that I have an innate appreciation for those kinds of series.

Jan 11, 2018 2:12 PM

Jan 2017
The first anime was Macross and I would still enjoy it because even now I do.
Jan 11, 2018 2:15 PM

Feb 2015
My first ''ever'' was SAO, like the average people, but now that i've actually looked deep into it, I guess not...
Before that, I ended up on an old anime called ''a cheeky angel'' (jp: Tenshi na Konamaiki) which was pretty weird in my eyes back then, but I still watched it and never saw anyone talking about it.
YuroraJan 11, 2018 2:19 PM
Jan 11, 2018 2:19 PM

Apr 2014
f u c k y e a . first animey was death note and its still my fav after hundreds of anime. there s no way i wouldnt like it
Jan 11, 2018 2:33 PM
Nov 2017
Pokémon, Digimon, and Bakugan in childhood aside, my first anime was the rather atypical DMMD. I started rewatching it recently and found that the first half is p slow and kind of confusing; the second half is a bit fast-paced, but better. I still enjoy it because my tastes are trash.

(I rewatched some old Digimon Adventure and the nostalgia filter did NOT hold up, lol. So. Nineties…)
trash-birdJan 11, 2018 2:38 PM
Jan 11, 2018 2:49 PM

May 2015
Yeah, I would enjoy it, in fact I re-watch my first anime (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross) whenever I have the chance...
Jan 11, 2018 2:51 PM

Sep 2011
Since mine is To Love Ru, I guess not anymore. Though my love for Lala won't change.

Jan 11, 2018 4:48 PM

Jan 2015
I'd say it's HIGHLY likely that the answer to that is yes. The first anime I've ever watched and enjoyed is Sailor Moon (the original, not Crystal) and considering that's my favorite anime of all time, it's a safe bet that I'll enjoy it. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about bingeing it again.

And there is no way I can forgot Sailor Moon or wipe it from my memory.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

18 by tmoverbeck »»
6 minutes ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

67 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

211 by TitanOfPlasma »»
9 minutes ago

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 6 hours ago

11 by Zarutaku »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

20 by tchitchouan »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.