Forum Settings
Forums

If you erased the first anime you ever enjoyed from your memory and watched it again today, would you still enjoy it?

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Jan 8, 2018 1:03 AM
Ribbit

Hey there forum readers, just out of curiosity, if you took the first anime you truly enjoyed and completely forgot about it, as if you never saw it, and then watched it again today, do you think you would enjoy it just as much? You would still have knowledge of all the other series you've seen.
For me, I don't actually think I would, at least not to the extent I did at the time, as I've seen a lot more and better series since then, and many of the plot points that were new and special to me I've seen a bunch of times by now.
So how about for you guys? Would you still enjoy the first anime you ever enjoyed?

Edit: It was brought to my attention that I did not elaborate enough on my own answer. Technically, the first anime I watched (and enjoyed) was Pokemon. Sure I'd like it, but not nearly to the extent I did in the past.
Naruto followed, and initially it was something I watched without knowing it was anime, but over time I learned about anime as I watched it. This is the one I was speaking of in my initial answer, and indeed I loved it at the time, but many of the things that happened in Naruto were fresh and new to me. I would not like it nearly as much today, as I've seen basically everything Naruto did in some form or another somewhere else, though I wouldn't hate it by any means.
Various Ghibli movies followed after that, I'd likely enjoy all of them just as much today.
Kaichou wa Maid Sama and Special A followed after that. Special A would be just okay for me today, Maid Sama slightly better (though, the maid sama manga is a masterpiece IMO lol).
Thinking about it now, I really enjoyed all the first few anime I watched, it's almost amazing to think though that despite some things staying the same, my taste has changed, matured, and evolved quite a bit since those days.

Edit2: Renamed thread to be more detailed, the previous title was really terrible.
Modified by Samfrog, Jan 11, 2018 12:05 AM

Jan 8, 2018 1:04 AM
I mean, the very first anime I watched was One Punch Man and then after that was SAO.

So probably not.

Jan 8, 2018 1:04 AM

First anime I enjoyed was Full Metal Panic Fumofu and I still think that show is hilarious, so yea

/RYM/

Jan 8, 2018 1:05 AM

Sure I guess, my first anime was Chuunibyou, and I enjoyed it
—"strife, hatred, sorrow, pain... something that can bring all of those things to an end...that is love. the joy of loving someone."

Jan 8, 2018 1:05 AM

50% sure the first anime I watched was Black Butler.

I still like it.

Jan 8, 2018 1:06 AM

my first was Attack on titan, which I still like, but my second was SAO, so...

Jan 8, 2018 1:06 AM

Date A Live? Actually, yes! Despite hating most generic harem romances, this one is a guilty pleasure lol. I still rewatch it sometimes to this day XD. Tohka x Shido + Kurumi made the show enjoyable for me.

Jan 8, 2018 1:08 AM

I have done something similar in the past (by past I mean within the last like 5 years) so I don't see why not.
I don't remember my first anime but I can't think of any I watched when I was younger that I would hate now.
My taste also hasn't really changed much be it when compared to when I was younger or when I started streaming it's stayed relatively constant.

Jan 8, 2018 1:21 AM

First anime was Zatch Bell, I still think it's a decent show.
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.
My MAL Interview

Jan 8, 2018 1:22 AM

I still like dbz because that was the first anime I seen. However, if its the first anime I bought and if I still like it that is a double no. That particular anime is called "murder princess".

Jan 8, 2018 1:28 AM

I think I would still enjoy Naruto. The early parts were amazing. Even when it got to the filler, it was still very entertaining.
"You don't need a reason to live, you just live"
-Nero Vanetti, 91 Days

Jan 8, 2018 1:29 AM

I think it was Nana lol

I'd say that I would still like what I liked, but I would now dislike what I didn't mind back then.

Jan 8, 2018 1:29 AM
First anime I watched was tokyo ghoul, since im reading the manga right now I dont think i'd really enjoy it as much.
⦓ henry ヘンリー ⦔

Jan 8, 2018 1:30 AM
interesting that you ask this because my first anime was death note 3 years ago, I'm rewatching it now for the first time and it's holding up really well. Some anime I rewatched falls flat after watching better stuff, but death note feels as thrilling as the first time I watched it

Jan 8, 2018 1:36 AM

i don't know the first anime i truly enjoyed.
i guess .. umm i'll just say it was dbz .. i guess.
and no. i fucking hate dbz. i grew out of that pretty quickly.. by the time they were airing the namek saga for the first time on cartoon network i had enough.

but i was picking up slayers on vhs at the same time, and that's still one of my all time favorites to this day and i've watched it countless times.

Jan 8, 2018 1:48 AM

Robotech (Super Dimensional Fortress Macross) was the first one I ever saw. I still think it's pretty good.

The first one I seen that I actually knew was an anime was Love Hina though, and it has aged very badly.

Jan 8, 2018 1:54 AM

Besides stuff I watched before I was an anime fan (DBZ, Naruto, Pokemon, etc.) I think my first true anime was Death Note back in like 2010 which I believe I watched fully on Youtube ahaha.
Considering I still hold it in very high regard today, I'm sure I would still thoroughly enjoy it if my memory was wiped out and I watched it again. Heck I probably wouldn't even mind, enjoying it for the first time a second time sounds sweet.

Jan 8, 2018 2:20 AM

Without counting series watched during childhood, the first anime I watched was Blood+, and I think I would like it as much I like it nowadays if I would watch it these days, since I rewatched the show many times, and I still like it a lot, so...

Jan 8, 2018 2:20 AM

First anime I ever watched was Slayers when I was 6-7ish, and yes I would still like it today. There's nothing not to like about it.
Modified by S_14, Jan 8, 2018 4:06 AM

Jan 8, 2018 2:24 AM

The first anime I ENJOYED? Yes. I fell in love is Hero Aca right from the start and still do love it. Heck, I'm rewatching it again while I wait for S3.

delete your account ♡

Jan 8, 2018 2:27 AM

The first one I really enjoyed was Yugioh Duel Monsters (the one everyone remembers) but now that I think about it it's too freaking long and repetitive and full of asspulls. So nah, I wouldn't.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki

Jan 8, 2018 2:50 AM

I think it was the first Patlabor film. That's pretty atypical, and I don't think changes in my tastes will affect it much, so yes, I think I'd enjoy it about the same.

Jan 8, 2018 3:04 AM

Oreimo? Nope. My current self is not a fan of that genre, but the nostalgia may increase the enjoyment of rewatching a little bit.

insert cool edgy lines
shameless self promote
lame poet and quote

Jan 8, 2018 3:10 AM

i first enjoyed fruits basket and tho its pretty trashy as romance anime go i still hold a spot in my heart for it! its hard to say whether i'd like it if I'd never seen it before but i think i would? tho probably not as much as when i first watched it! similar to you op!

Jan 8, 2018 3:42 AM

First anime is technically Hamtaro but Inuyasha is the first "serious" anime I watched. I still like both despite their flaws although I probably wouldn't rewatch the first because its hard for me to watch shows that are unrealistically optimistic/positive now.

Jan 8, 2018 3:45 AM
The first anime i watched was DBZ and the first i watched while knowing i was watching anime was Naruto and i'd probably still enjoy them both off nostalgia alone

Jan 8, 2018 3:55 AM

my first anime was black butler.

it is full of yaoi tropes and vibes so I think I wouldn't like it if it wasn't my first anime.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Jan 8, 2018 3:56 AM

I can't remember which was the very first Anime I watched but yes, I have rewatched the ones I watched in my childhood and still enjoyed them a lot. Maybe part of it is nostalgia but who wouldn't like nostalgia, right?

Some of my first Anime's in alphabetical order of the original title:

Little Women
Arounf the World in 80 Days
Attack no. 1 (Mila Superstar in German)
Sailor Moon, duh
Dragon Ball
Kickers
Silver Fang
Star of the Seine
Lady Georgie
Rose of Versailles
Eight-Man said:
Remember, be an artist, not an autist.

"If anything simply cannot go wrong it will anyway."

~ Murphy's 5th law

Jan 8, 2018 3:57 AM

Naruto and Shaman King? Ofc, no matter if I'm 7 or 20.

"Please stop talking about math when I'm eating."

Jan 8, 2018 3:59 AM

Without including my childhood anime, I think Fairy Tail would be painful for me.

Jan 8, 2018 4:00 AM

My first anime was the first Pokemon season. So ofc not so much, but I still think it's cute and it had some great moments I associate with it.
The first anime I watched online, was DN Angel, I think. Well... it's cute, I guess?

Jan 8, 2018 4:02 AM

First proper anime was Naruto, and would I still enjoy it today? Some parts of it, I couldn't re-watch the whole lot of it again.

Jan 8, 2018 4:05 AM

Yes, But probably not as much as compared to when I first got into anime

Jan 8, 2018 4:11 AM

The Moomins and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo are just great and I think I'd love them even without the nostalgia

Jan 8, 2018 4:14 AM

My first anime was Pokemon and I still find it enjoyable. I don't think I'll ever try to watch the whole show though

Jan 8, 2018 4:22 AM

Keroro Gunsou was one of my first anime. I think I probably wouldn't be able to watch it with the same enthusiasm I had 10 years ago because I just don't have the attention span to watch 300+ episodes anymore, but I would still enjoy it. I still have some of the books, haha. I love those silly frogs.

Jan 8, 2018 4:45 AM

first anime enjoyed was death note and second was clannad.
Yes i still like it.

Jan 8, 2018 4:49 AM

Azumanga Daioh

An ordinary cute-girls-doing-cute-things anime but a "good" one, would rewatch some episodes.
Modified by removed-user, Jan 8, 2018 12:49 PM

Jan 8, 2018 4:50 AM

So this is really a question if the first anime we enjoyed relied on only novelty or not.

I can't remember which was the very first anime i watched, but among the first ones:
Heidi: given i would rewatch that with kid mindset, i would enjoy that the same, i actually feel like going rewatching that now.
LupinIII: that one relied on novelty, but the comedic side would still feel the same.
Captain Tsubasa: probably not so much now, it was and is a generic sport shounen, the kind you can appreciate when you don't know any other animes.

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"

Jan 8, 2018 4:51 AM
Well DBZ was my childhood... I think I already rewatched it many times so not really. I still have large respect for it tho.

But if your talking about when I became a fan of anime then thats one punch man. Sadly thats a no

Jan 8, 2018 5:14 AM

Don't know. Haven't rewatched them ever.

Jan 8, 2018 5:20 AM

My first anime was Air which I rated a 6/10. The only other Key adaptation I've enjoyed besides that was Clannad AS, can't say I'm a fan of their visual novels so I'd probably enjoy it less than I did on my first watch. I've been thinking of re-watching it for a while now.

Jan 8, 2018 5:31 AM

My first real step into anime was watching Soul Eater so I'll probably just enjoy the beginning then shit on it when it splits from the manga.

(Soul Eater reboot please already.)

Jan 8, 2018 5:35 AM
My first anime was naruto, then i was small i very loved this anime, and now too, he remember my childhood! Yes i still enjoyed.

Jan 8, 2018 5:41 AM
Rara-chan

The first I watched was Cardcaptor Sakura and rewatched it a couple of times. I still really like it and probably like it more then I did the first time.

Jan 8, 2018 5:52 AM

My first anime was Death Note, which I still find to be a good and enjoyable experience.

Jan 8, 2018 5:55 AM

about 600 titles watched, I still like the A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun franchise as I continue(watched it 6 times already) and plan to rewatch it every year. So, yes.

Jan 8, 2018 6:00 AM

No, impossible. I have changed a lot in very little time. That means that in a bigger period of time, I've changed even more. So my way of thinking is too much different, therefore the things I enjoyed before it's practically impossible for me to enjoy now.

To give examples, one of my first animes were Detective Conan and Dragon Ball. I loved them before, but now I hate them -well, Dragon Ball, I just dislike it but I hate DC-. And they were my "favorites" once.

Jan 8, 2018 6:49 AM

Not counting stuff that would come on cartoon network like spirited away, all my first animes were ecchi harems like the Familiar of Zero (still imo one of the better of that genre).

Probably wouldn't like it if I watched it now but people change and their tastes change. I still look back on a these shows fondly as the racy material was a way for me to rebel against the stiffy puritan household I lived in but I'll refrain from rewatching them.

Jan 8, 2018 6:55 AM

My first anime was either Naruto or Digimon. I still like them but hated the ending for Naruto as a whole and the reason why I hate Boruto too.
Modified by Mikura39, Jan 8, 2018 7:51 AM

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »