Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 7, 2018 6:10 PM
Jan 2015
Some years ago Adult Swim released a short film called "Too Many Cooks". I will not give spoilers but actually there's no spoilers to give, all I watched was a bunch of random visual bullshit hitting my eyes.

This is what series is. Random visual bullshit. Inferno Cop had a plot. An comedic plot with random twists, but at least it was sequential. This is one sketch less funny than the next.

And you love it, and the world(actually just the United States, but let's get to this later) will love it, because it isn't like other animes. No cute girls, no cute boys, no jokes about panties or boobs that makes you ashamed of being an anime fan, no lolis(they're not little girls by not even a mile), a bunch of parodies of western pop culture that you will laugh mindlessly at.

This will only be liked because this isn't like most animes, because this feels american/british. I'm not american or british, I only learned to write and read in English, before you think I'm and insult me over that.

PS: I could get more personal or political about this, but I know some people would choose to ignore my opinion to attack me directly.

Jan 7, 2018 6:18 PM

Oct 2010
I hated this episode probably as much, and you DO look self-absorbed here to me. The fans don't deserve to be questioned for liking this, let alone under your own standards.
Jan 7, 2018 7:17 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
IDontWishToBe said:

And you love it, and the world(actually just the United States, but let's get to this later) will love it

Hey I live in the US and don't love it, not all of us will!

XD anyways, I agree with a lot of what you said, and this anime more than most to me was truly worthy of appalling. It would be impossible for me to sit through a full episode, but damn was this absolutely atrocious, it is the epitome of the type of comedy I truly truly wish did not exist. It seems alien to me how anyone can find this atrocity even remotely funny.
Jan 7, 2018 7:46 PM

Jun 2016
Samfrog said:
It seems alien to me how anyone can find this atrocity even remotely funny.

"It seems alien to me how anyone can have any opinions differing from mine."
ftfy
sorry it doesn't appeal to you, but must you act so self-centered? I agree with you a bit, it was a little too much, but chill dude
Jan 7, 2018 7:56 PM
Ribbit

May 2015
@gotterdammerung
I mean I wasn't saying you're wrong or your opinion is wrong etc. if you like it, but I truly don't see how you possibly could (hence "it seems alien" its not that I don't see what could appeal to people, it's that I can't understand why it would). And it was really really really really really awful imo. It was on par with some of the worst anime I've ever seen. I know some people will like it, but I thought it was an abomination, so if I just said "it was bad" I wouldn't be getting that across. Just stating my opinion on it, not saying that mine is the correct or only one.
I do apologize if I came across rude or self centered though, it wasn't my intention, but it was the only way I could think of at the moment to express how awful I believe this was.
SamfrogJan 7, 2018 8:05 PM
Jan 7, 2018 8:00 PM

Dec 2014
IDontWishToBe said:

And you love it, and the world(actually just the United States, but let's get to this later) will love it, because it isn't like other animes. No cute girls, no cute boys, no jokes about panties or boobs that makes you ashamed of being an anime fan, no lolis(they're not little girls by not even a mile), a bunch of parodies of western pop culture that you will laugh mindlessly at.

Sometimes it's just kinda fun to laugh mindlessly at the random stuff they throw at you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to defend this series nor am I trying to say it's the greatest thing in the world. The people who enjoy this probably understand exactly what kind of show this is and ultimately, it is what it is. Some people will like it and some will dislike it. The humor of this kind of show will always be a hit or miss, if this kinda humor doesn't sit right with you then just turn a blind eye to it.
Jan 7, 2018 8:12 PM

Jun 2016
Samfrog said:
@gotterdammerung
I mean I wasn't saying you're wrong or your opinion is wrong etc. if you like it, but I truly don't see how you possibly could (hence "it seems alien" its not that I don't see what could appeal to people, it's that I can't understand why it would). And it was really really really really really awful imo. It was on par with some of the worst anime I've ever seen. I know some people will like it, but I thought it was an abomination, so if I just said "it was bad" I wouldn't be getting that across. Just stating my opinion on it, not saying that mine is the correct or only one.
I do apologize if I came across rude or self centered though, it wasn't my intention, but it was the only way I could think of at the moment to express how awful I believe this was.

ah, I understand. sorry if I seemed mean, perhaps I just took what you said the total wrong way
Jan 7, 2018 9:00 PM

Apr 2013
IDontWishToBe said:
Some years ago Adult Swim released a short film called "Too Many Cooks". I will not give spoilers but actually there's no spoilers to give, all I watched was a bunch of random visual bullshit hitting my eyes.

This is what series is. Random visual bullshit. Inferno Cop had a plot. An comedic plot with random twists, but at least it was sequential. This is one sketch less funny than the next.

This will only be liked because this isn't like most animes, because this feels american/british. I'm not american or british, I only learned to write and read in English, before you think I'm and insult me over that.

PS: I could get more personal or political about this, but I know some people would choose to ignore my opinion to attack me directly.

"haha I know I'm being contrarian here and I'll get attacked for my opinion (poor me) but uh this thing is bad and it sucks, please give me attention"

nice blog, very useful if I need a random person to tell me why a shitpost is bad
おれはPigAmericanです
おれはばか

i am average american man i enjoy
bad game runescape
Jan 7, 2018 9:34 PM

Mar 2010
it's amazing really, those who enjoy it are enjoying it without cramming it down others throats but the haters don't have the same level of decency.

I guess liking an anime that's full of gag humor and references is too much for their fragile ego's to handle so they feel the need to tell everyone why this anime is bad and they should be ashamed for liking it.

In summary:
Lovers: Holy damn that was funny, I can't wait for the next ep.
Haters: PAY ATTENTION TO ME AS I TELL YOU WHY THIS ANIME IS TRASH *strokes high horse
Jan 7, 2018 11:05 PM

Sep 2016
Yeah sure. "I don't like something so let's just blame that it intentionally has no plot (which isn't an actual flaw by itself) and label it as random visual bullshit". I never watched adult swim so i don't completely understand the comparison, but i've seen too many cooks (which you also label as random visual bullshit) on youtube and that shit's a masterpiece to me because i found so much more in it. I'm not blaming you for not liking what people like in pop team epic/adult swim stuff, but at least respect the fans because some (including me) love it for more reasons than "it's unique" and "mindlessly laughing at western pop culture parodies".

Tl;dr: you do look self-absorbed, and i'd even risk to say close-minded.
Jan 7, 2018 11:18 PM

Jul 2017
behead those who insult poputepipikku
Jan 7, 2018 11:29 PM

Oct 2015
Oh, I guess I can't like a comedy sketch where comedy is subjective cause someone is telling me so, I feel peer pressured

And what's the point of this thread? You want to voice out and denounce people who likes it? Ok

𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔫𝔞 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠𝔥 𝔶𝔬𝔲,
𝔚𝔞𝔫𝔱𝔦𝔫' 𝔶𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱𝔥 𝔞𝔩𝔩 𝔪𝔶 𝔪𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱

Jan 8, 2018 3:17 AM

Nov 2011
I enjoyed it for what it is and its not what you just said it was.

Jan 8, 2018 4:19 AM

Apr 2015
I hear your complaints about the show and all I see is this

Jan 8, 2018 7:02 PM
Jul 2018
It's a cartoon, calm down you manchild.
Jan 8, 2018 7:44 PM

Sep 2013
I'm sorry that it''s too high IQ for you.
Jan 8, 2018 7:53 PM

May 2017
Some of us really need a mindless laugh, it's what the industry was missing.
Jan 8, 2018 8:00 PM
Dec 2015
I personally don't love it, but I respect it. The comedy just isn't for me, they could have cut off the repeat gag way earlier in the show, (given the chance to some other gags for a stronger first episode.) But every point I give has the counterargument of "they stylistically chose that," which to some degree is fine, but it's those same stylistic reasons that I'm not watching this show.

That kimi no na wa joke was really good though, music was spot on.

Jan 8, 2018 11:58 PM
Dec 2016
manga is ok on their way, I will see some of the next episodes to argue with facts, but at the end of the day its what it is, like it or hate it.
most important its all this treats we created in expectation or just for fun. i mean the relevance we gave it.
Jan 15, 2018 4:49 AM

Aug 2014
If you think people like this cause they like random bullshit then you don't know why people like it.

I'm not gonna act like a pretentious pseud but a lot of people simply don't understand absurdist humor cause they take it too seriously while it relies on your most basic sensibilities. PTE has some more conventional jokes but most of it is about subverting expectations, ridiculous visuals and absurd situations, sometimes it's funny cause of how extremely nonsensical it is, other times it's as simple as laughing at a funny drawing. It's not that complicated.
Jan 16, 2018 5:29 PM

May 2010
In my opinion, Teekyuu handled random humor much better. Won't say anything about the PTE 4-koma, but the show is utter crap.
KikugiJan 16, 2018 5:59 PM
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
Jan 16, 2018 5:50 PM

Nov 2017
IDontWishToBe said:

1) Too Many Cooks is a bit of a weird example because that was more of a one-off art project. This is just part of the sketch comedy genre

2) I don't think just because it is a sketch comedy show and doesn't have a plot that is immediately just random and senseless. For as short as they are, the jokes do have a setup and payoff, they're just really quick. Whether you find them funny is a whole different matter

3) I respect your opinion but I feel like you came off a bit snobbish generalizing that only a certain group of people would "laugh mindlessly" at it.
(Translator's Note: "nico nico nii" means "SHINY DAYS in My Pocket")

nico nico nii.

Jan 16, 2018 5:50 PM

Sep 2017
Why isn't this anime #1 on MAL already?
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 16, 2018 5:55 PM

May 2010
Dlwuik said:

Not as much support as Pingu got, but you may change that :)
Hello can you please watch Kitaku-bu Katsudou Kiroku
Jan 16, 2018 5:56 PM

Jan 2018
This show is honestly one of the weirdest things ive ever seen in my life.
Jan 16, 2018 5:57 PM

Sep 2017
Kijdenvoot said:
Dlwuik said:

i wish pingu was #1 as well, absolute masterpiece.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 19, 2018 3:33 AM

Nov 2011
Dlwuik said:
Kijdenvoot said:

i wish pingu was #1 as well, absolute masterpiece.

Pingu and this are certainly more deserving than Kimi No Wa was.

Gundroog said:
If you think people like this cause they like random bullshit then you don't know why people like it.

I'm not gonna act like a pretentious pseud but a lot of people simply don't understand absurdist humor cause they take it too seriously while it relies on your most basic sensibilities. PTE has some more conventional jokes but most of it is about subverting expectations, ridiculous visuals and absurd situations, sometimes it's funny cause of how extremely nonsensical it is, other times it's as simple as laughing at a funny drawing. It's not that complicated.

Very well said m8!
Jan 19, 2018 8:44 AM

Jun 2015
IDontWishToBe said:

Exactly, this catters to westerners taste(as you said mainly for USA), for me this trash feels like some western made cartoon, I do rarely score anything 1, but this random pile of shit is just deserves that.
Jan 19, 2018 9:54 AM

Jan 2009
I just have one question to the people bitching about this series.
WTF did you people expect from a series that translates to Pop Team Epic?

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 19, 2018 10:54 AM

Nov 2011
Swim_Swim said:
IDontWishToBe said:

Exactly, this catters to westerners taste(as you said mainly for USA), for me this trash feels like some western made cartoon, I do rarely score anything 1, but this random pile of shit is just deserves that.

Wow you buys just love shitting on other countries. So racist man.
Jan 26, 2018 3:40 AM

Mar 2017
This anime makes fun of everything and i know it'd make fun of you haters

Oh wait it already did.

https://i.imgur.com/JdF4Xmh.png
Jan 26, 2018 9:54 AM

Jul 2014
pop team epic more like flop team epic roflmao
Jan 28, 2018 2:28 AM
Apr 2016
Twiist said:
This anime makes fun of everything and i know it'd make fun of you haters

Oh wait it already did.

https://i.imgur.com/JdF4Xmh.png

I would not say the made fun of them, they have, like, dismissed their anger and bile as too unimportant factor to even make fun of. Which is true. Only those who find themselves a part of the satirized "POPular culture" will feel angry at someone, who bluntly calls them out on that. And the value of such people and their "pieces of mind" is... fractional.
Re:formed
Feb 4, 2018 9:11 AM

Jul 2015
To be completely honest, the reason people even like Pop Team Epic to begin with mostly comes from how they found out about it in the first place: The Memes.

More than likely, if you knew about Pop Team Epic before the anime was even greenlit, it was through the memes that popped up everywhere rather than what the manga was really all about, so that's why it has a small but strong cult following. The anime brought it to the mainstream audience, but if you didn't find the memes of it before the anime, then it's totally understandable why some people wouldn't like and/or understand it.

Basically, it was an undergorund thing that everyone loved before it was brought to the mainstream light.
𝕐𝕌ℝ𝕀 𝕀𝕊 𝕃𝕆𝕍𝔼. 𝕐𝕌ℝ𝕀 𝕀𝕊 𝕃𝕀𝔽𝔼.
Feb 8, 2018 3:00 AM

Jan 2011
To the OP....go and watch All That and Mad TV.

This show is like an animated version of those shows with more meta jokes. What people need to understand about anime and animation in general not everything needs to have a story. I mean look at how popular Lucky Star was when that show is mindless. Hey I'm Sakakmoto is another. People like wacky shit. I like this show myself. Especially this dub because of how odd everything is.

I also really like the limited animation used in this show.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Poputepipikku Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Amarrez - Jan 6, 2018

379 by panzeruwu »»
Aug 23, 2023 6:50 AM

Poll: » Poputepipikku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Mar 17, 2018

69 by ravioliqueen »»
Feb 1, 2023 6:04 PM

Poll: » Poputepipikku Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Xeogran - Feb 17, 2018

105 by ravioliqueen »»
Feb 1, 2023 12:44 PM

Poll: » Poputepipikku Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mxxxstation - Feb 3, 2018

98 by ravioliqueen »»
Feb 1, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Poputepipikku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lelouch0202 - Jan 27, 2018

97 by fukumenkei »»
Dec 28, 2022 5:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.