Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 8, 2018 4:54 PM
Oct 2017
Stripes said:
SaltySeaDog said:
Personally think Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z - possible hipster opinion, don't know if anyone feels the same.

I think the drawn out fighting and where the story takes setting for at least the first half of DBZ makes it hard on rewatch. DB works at a fast pace, you're interested and focused on Goku and not waiting for him to constantly show up while the side characters diddle around with the main bad guy. This is by far a seasoned opinion.

I feel like Dragon Ball cares more about character development whilst Dragon Ball Z cares more about its fights between characters...for many, many episodes....
Sep 8, 2018 4:56 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
nicethings said:
durarara s2 looked like shit comp to s1 but it kind of makes sense because s1 had proper funding and backing from an established studio while s2 was released five years later from a completely new studio with little funding and less backing without brains base's help

Well the crew that worked on DRRR created Shuka and wanted to continue it. Pretty sure BB wasn't going to so the director and her team acquired it from them. I mean yeah it looks like a slide show because they were new and didn't have as much staff. It kinda lands on, nothing at all or being on the cheap, and anime fans tend to want it even if it looks like trash sadly.
Sep 8, 2018 5:16 PM

May 2016
SadMadoka said:
Well, just look at the rankings for Black Butler.

season 1: 582
season 2: 1,770
Book Of Circus: 218
Book Of Murder: 208
Book Of The Atlantic: 97

Thought I don't really have many unpopular opinions, but I don't get it in the slightest. Enjoyed season 2 the most, as unnecessary as it was, loved the ending to bits. As for Book of the Atlantic, I almost didn't finish it.

Now for the quality drops, story wise Gatchaman Crowds Insight removed every single thing the first season got right, with damn near surgical precision, and filled it with characters so dumb I was lowering the volume when they spoke to minimize the impact.

Artistically, there are too many cases to count, but I just finished this week's Hataraku Saibou and it lingers. The amount of reused footage, backgrounds, designs and holy shit the panning shots! Next to no animation outside of lipsync, and even that was horrible. They somehow seem to have forgotten which brush they were using for lineart for like half the shots, so it looks unfinished.
It was either outsourced to hell, or the staff needed to throw it together in a day for some reason.
Not between seasons, I just wanted to bitch about it.
Specimen021Sep 8, 2018 5:20 PM
Sep 8, 2018 7:24 PM

Sep 2010
Stripes said:
Takata said:
What happened to the artist drawing Ash's face between Pokemon XY&Z and Pokemon Sun & Moon? Same for Misty.

Are you saying Sun and Moon is a quality drop?

Haven't seen enough of either to say that there's a quality drop in anything but the facial art, but the difference just looks really jarring to me. My first impression was that it looked as if Pokemon was running out of money.

Ash in XY&Z:

Ash in Sun & Moon:
Sep 8, 2018 7:33 PM
Apr 2018
Takata said:
Stripes said:

Haven't seen enough of either to say that there's a quality drop in anything but the facial art, but the difference just looks really jarring to me. My first impression was that it looked as if Pokemon was running out of money.

Ash in XY&Z:

Ash in Sun & Moon:

I'm not really sure but I think that was intentional. I remember reading an interview where the producer or some other guy said that they wanted to take a comedic approach with Pokemon S/M so Ash's new look kinda fits that.

In my opinion it looks awful but I don't watch Pokemon and I have heard pretty good reviews for Sun/Moon.
Sep 8, 2018 8:11 PM

Aug 2017
Aldnoah.Zero. The show was never good in the first place but at least S1 was entertaining. However, I cannot say the same for S2.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 8, 2018 8:21 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Takata said:
Stripes said:

Ash in XY&Z:

Ash in Sun & Moon:

The faces and style being more simplistic doesn't equate a drop in quality. In fact as an art major it was probably the smartest shit Pokemon ever did. Those designs from the 90's were outdated as fuck and only anime fans with nostalgia glasses like them. Check out all the fucking sakuga and color palette choices. Like a breathe of fresh air.
Sep 8, 2018 8:23 PM

Dec 2016
SaltySeaDog said:
Personally think Dragon Ball is better than Dragon Ball Z - possible hipster opinion, don't know if anyone feels the same.

Not really, a LOT of people thinks that way.

SaltySeaDog said:

I feel like Dragon Ball cares more about character development whilst Dragon Ball Z cares more about its fights between characters...for many, many episodes....

DB was never that much about character development in the first place, the focus in DB is on the adventure and martial arts. And besides it's not like DBZ didn't have any kind of CD at all; Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan are the ones driving the show in this department, especially the former who passes from being the enemy who can't accept the fact that a low-class saiyan can be stronger than him in the beginning, and slowly throughout the show starts accepting this fact and coming to terms with Goku and his friend, becoming one of the gang.

rohan121 said:
Saint Seiya omega was a major drop from Saint Seiya.

Omega is not a continuation to Saint Seiya. It's another series with another storyline and universe.

Sep 8, 2018 8:39 PM
Mar 2013
Terra Formers: first season wasn't that great but it kept its serious atmosphere, dramatic back stories and battles throughout the season which I appreciated and liked, season 2 changed the show so much, chibi faces and random fanservice out of nowhere and very out of place, it was actually the first time I seriously checked studios and realized it can make a difference

One Piece: the animation started losing its uniqueness after thriller park but the quality drop happened after time-skip and it keeps going down imo, drawn out arcs that could be half as long without hurting the story, Repetition, a huge drop in the comedy style of the show, female characters breasts getting larger and more disproportionate each episode and more fanservice-y characters each arc, Luffy getting dumber and not in a funny way like it used to, I miss when he used to show some occasional wisdom

School Rumble: if you count the cancelled 3rd season

Fairy Tail: there was fluctuations between arcs but the last arc of season 1 really made it, I just couldn't take S2 seriously

Ao no Exorcist: something about it was just uninteresting, couldn't bring myself to watch the next ep, maybe I'll give it another chance later

Log Horizon: I can't even remember what S2 was about, lots of random stuff, some nerd motivational speech, can't remember if I finished it or not

Unpopular opinion: I found SAO season 2 not as half interesting or fulfilling as season 1 was
Sep 8, 2018 8:47 PM

Dec 2016
Stripes said:

Those designs from the 90's were outdated as fuck and only anime fans with nostalgia glasses like them. Like a breathe of fresh air.

You are implying here that as time passes by, and for no other reason than simply the passing of time, character designs from a franchise "lose value" and hence must be modified or replaced, like they were like...cars or electronic devices or something. I can't agree with this.

It's almost the same as saying that people, as they grow older, should realize plastic surgery on themselves to have new faces, because the ones they were born with well....become old
Sep 8, 2018 8:57 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Arkab said:
Stripes said:

Those designs from the 90's were outdated as fuck and only anime fans with nostalgia glasses like them. Like a breathe of fresh air.

You are implying here that as time passes by, and for no other reason than simply the passing of time, character designs from a franchise "lose value" and hence must be modified or replaced, like they were like...cars or electronic devices or something. I can't agree with this.

It's almost the same as saying that people, as they grow older, should realize plastic surgery on themselves to have new faces, because the ones they were born with well....become old

We're talking about fiction and an art style but way to be dramatic. Yeah I think stuff should be updated and modified because the old designs and functionality of how the anime in general moved weren't doing anything for it. It's much more fluid and the cartoonish style really makes it pop.

As time moves forward so do trends and adaption. Anything that is long running ends up changing style. Even series by the same artist over a 20 year period develop and evolve. Pokemon did it all in one incarnation but it did it a lot more good. Again. Only weebs attached to their nostalgia can't get over the change for S&M.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - Today

20 by Oofmastre9000 »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

20 by AverageRiceFan »»
14 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 2 hours ago

3 by AverageRiceFan »»
18 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

196 by ISeeLifePeople »»
31 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

69 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.