Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 6, 2018 3:24 AM

Oct 2014
I dont know what it is, maybe Made in Abyss ruined me but the art style and tone make me think something is going to go horribly horribly wrong. Please tell Im not alone so I know im not crazy.
Jan 6, 2018 3:41 AM

Feb 2016
I don't think something horrible will happen. Maybe it's going to be a little bit dramatic but I guess it's not going to be more than that but I know how you feel.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Jan 6, 2018 6:15 AM
Sep 2009
I'm just waiting for it to turn into At the Mountains of Madness.
Jan 9, 2018 11:32 PM

Aug 2012
I don't believe in a show with one of the MC voiced by Minase Inori. Too often the series turns out to be bloody or depressing. It feels like a running gag at this point.
Jan 10, 2018 12:41 AM

Aug 2011
A-Joy said:
I don't believe in a show with one of the MC voiced by Minase Inori. Too often the series turns out to be bloody or depressing. It feels like a running gag at this point.

This not a gag show, Probably drama + SOL
Jan 10, 2018 4:06 AM

Nov 2014
I don't know why but the whole vibe of this show seems really high quality, although the general premise is a little mundane, the dialogue, animation, voice acting, plot flow, everything so far has been really strong imo. It sort of seems like a show this well put together will take a turn at a point to something more dramatic. I'm really interested to see the rest of this show.
Jan 12, 2018 4:14 PM
Jan 2018
Yeah I feel the same way. Following Made in the Abyss, I think this will take some darker route. It looks like it has potential to be good nevertheless.
Jan 12, 2018 7:26 PM

Sep 2015
I mean, the only way I can see a "darker route" happening for this series, would be if the whole point of this series was actually that these high school girls can't make it to Antarctica, and winds up being a commentary on how contrived moe slice of life shows are at getting their characters to go on adventures that would be impossible for their age. I certainly don't think it'll be nearly as dark as Made in Abyss, even if that hypothetical scenario does happen. That said, I don't see the hypothetical situation happening either, because the presentation of this series is pretty straightforward, and the op already shows them going to Antarctica. Even the color gradient has a lot of warm tones, a lot of reds and oranges, assumedly to distinctly separate the differences in atmosphere between Japan and Antarctica.
Jan 12, 2018 9:42 PM

Mar 2009
Hopefully, Nanachi saves them when something bad inevitably happens to them in Antarctica.
MormegilJan 12, 2018 9:48 PM
Jan 16, 2018 10:10 PM

Nov 2014
Draconix814 said:
I mean, the only way I can see a "darker route" happening for this series, would be if the whole point of this series was actually that these high school girls can't make it to Antarctica, and winds up being a commentary on how contrived moe slice of life shows are at getting their characters to go on adventures that would be impossible for their age.

They're heading to one of the most dangerous locations on earth, known for it's unpredictable, wild weather. They're already hinted at the fact that Shirase's mother may have died there and that the station seems to be in disrepair and could soon be shut down. Further to that, they're children, not trained adults, they don't always act logically, I could see one of them getting upset or lost and freezing to death easily, not because it's a common thing in SOL but because they are going to the most uninhabitable place on the earth.
Jan 16, 2018 11:38 PM

Mar 2009
But there was nothing "going horribly wrong" in MiA. We were explicitly told about dangers and deadly traps of the Abyss in the early episodes. And while Yorimo has some drama and hints that not everything is sunshine and rainbow,the tone is much more upbeat and primarily comedic - MiA was never like that in the first place.
Jan 17, 2018 1:39 AM

Nov 2014
Alexandep said:
But there was nothing "going horribly wrong" in MiA. We were explicitly told about dangers and deadly traps of the Abyss in the early episodes. And while Yorimo has some drama and hints that not everything is sunshine and rainbow,the tone is much more upbeat and primarily comedic - MiA was never like that in the first place.

That's exactly what OP is saying the show is going too well, it feels off, why would they make an Adventure/SoL that has no conflict and seems to be putting all of it's effort into character development, it doesn't add up.
Jan 17, 2018 11:39 AM
Dec 2017
-Ayu said:
I don't think something horrible will happen...

Guess, they will start whaling once they reach the Southern Ocean, but there will come some evil fat, white neckbeard pirate trying to stop glorious Japan. You have seen the rest not in South Pole but in South Park.
Tacsk0Feb 11, 2018 2:01 PM
Jan 21, 2018 4:50 AM

Dec 2017
the age rating is 13+, I don't think anything horrible could happen, right? Right?
Jan 21, 2018 10:05 AM

Oct 2014
Gezbo said:
I dont know what it is, maybe Made in Abyss ruined me but the art style and tone make me think something is going to go horribly horribly wrong. Please tell Im not alone so I know im not crazy.

to be honest, after last episode, if somebody wants it, I think it can
They put I think 3 death symbols around Yuzuki so far, be it deliberate or accidental.
I think we should wait and see.
Takako (Shirase's mom) is definitely dead, imo, and next episode will probably be about that (as well as other stuff.)

but in the end, it depends on pacing.
I don't they will have time to do this kind of stuff. Plus, it's not in the usual dish of the writer.

except.... if they suddenly announce a second cour. Then everything could happen.

ps.: there's nothing wrong putting everything into character development, especially for main cast. Actually, all shows should have done that.
Jan 21, 2018 12:44 PM
Dec 2017
Wait why are we comparing this to Made in Abyss? Just because one of the main characters' moms are mysterious doesn't mean they're going to be the same anime.

There's no way this anime is going to be that dark.

Dreamer_Plague7Jan 21, 2018 12:48 PM
Jan 23, 2018 8:34 PM

Nov 2014
Dreamer_Plague7 said:
Wait why are we comparing this to Made in Abyss? Just because one of the main characters' moms are mysterious doesn't mean they're going to be the same anime.

The tone and quality are very similar. Kids on an adventure to a dangerous place with nearly no experience or training, except this show doesn't have Reg.
Feb 8, 2018 10:51 AM

Jun 2017
Until now the anime just changed between light comedy and drama, i don't think it will turn like Made in Abyss.
The most tragic thing i can imagine is that Shirase's mother is dead and maybe she will find the body or maybe someone falls on the ice, but probably will not die.
"The Stairs to Adulthood May Not Always Lead Up" - Gintama.: Porori-hen - episode 1
Feb 8, 2018 11:42 AM

Sep 2014
MichaelBaysWaifu said:
the age rating is 13+, I don't think anything horrible could happen, right? Right?

It happened before that some original anime changed their rating after something went wrong in the show.
Feb 21, 2018 5:38 AM
Sep 2015
Hrybami said:
MichaelBaysWaifu said:

It happened before that some original anime changed their rating after something went wrong in the show.

Really? Can you say what anime are they?
Feb 21, 2018 6:06 AM

Nov 2012
Revvie-chan said:
Gezbo said:

They put I think 3 death symbols around Yuzuki so far, be it deliberate or accidental.

Welp, time to count how many times she mentioned she wanted to die or kill someone.

Want some free EN TL light novels? Take a look at my loot...→Missing out on an Anime OP/ED? Check the complete collection here...→
Feb 21, 2018 6:58 AM

Oct 2014
Jaeger07 said:
Revvie-chan said:

Welp, time to count how many times she mentioned she wanted to die or kill someone.
<pics>

Nice collection.
But you're missing the important ones:
- Back in episode 3, Yuzuki arc, the climax cut is when Kimari and Yuzuki hands meet. Well, what can you join, you can separate. (You know what I mean.)
- The characters goodbyes on episode 5.
Kimari has Megu hangover, Shirase sets off from her house like a grownup child, Hinata walks through street on the opposite way of the flow (all three are in-line with their characters,)
But Yuzuki is the only one showing goodbye to her family (in this case, her Mom.) Not only that this tells you just how close they are really is,
if someone wants it, this can turn into a death flag.

I'm still on the side that believes nothing will happen.
How they put these "random death flags" is similar to what they did on Chika on whole Love Live! Sunshine. Since, you know, same writer. (Hanada Jukki wrote most of the plot on Sunshine and also here.)
Officially Chika didn't die, did she? (Well, she's still dead to me lol.)
Feb 21, 2018 7:27 AM
Oct 2016
What Yuzuki speaks is just a stick, stop this paranoia
Mar 1, 2018 11:10 AM

Feb 2014
sn3akyk1d said:
Dreamer_Plague7 said:

The tone and quality are very similar. Kids on an adventure to a dangerous place with nearly no experience or training, except this show doesn't have Reg.

That 1 million yen is their "Reg", though i doubt any high school girls could realistically save that much from "normal" part-time jobs *wink
Mar 1, 2018 11:24 AM

Jan 2017
Gezbo said:

I don't think anything is going to be horribly wrong. At worst I'm guessing that Shirase is either going to come to terms with/realize that her mother is dead and gone forever. *I haven't read the manga so I really don't know, its only what is presumed* Especially now that they have actually arrived and set foot on Antartica, the emotions probably will be overwhelming.

BTW - Made in Abyss was completely different. There were sinister undertones throughout both the anime and manga, so most of that shouldn't have come as a surprise. It's one of my favorites, but I can't say that they were exactly subtle with the forewarnings of impending danger and despair. I mean, hell they even gave you an entire chapter/episode to prep for Reg blasting Mitty away (which was the humane thing to do imo). But that's just me.

I don't see this remotely similar to Made in Abyss, outside of the 'adventure' aspect, but even in that regard its portrayed in an entirely different way than MiA

Mar 1, 2018 1:32 PM

Nov 2013
Gezbo said:

it's an adventure, slice of life anime with cute girls doing cute things. 70% comedy 30% drama up to the episode 9. I'd say with 99.9% certainty no one will die at the, or towards the end (not the girls nor the crew); this anime isn't trying to make us feel depressed (Shirase's mother is the only top drama element of the series and she shall stay as one). I see people mentioning "made in abyss" but i personally fail to see any signs of this show suddenly taking a dark turn. The show is meant to be enjoyable; drama part is balanced and well done - I doubt they'll turn this show into more dramatic and less funny show for some reason.

P.S It is quite possible though that someone might give us a "heart attack", by falling under the ice or getting lost in a snow storm; in other words - be presumed dead for a moment, but they'll show up fine and well eventually, so expect to see smiling faces towards the end. If there'll be tears, they'll just be tears of joy.
Mar 1, 2018 3:30 PM

Nov 2014
AzorAhai said:
Gezbo said:

it's an adventure, slice of life anime with cute girls doing cute things. 70% comedy 30% drama up to the episode 9. I'd say with 99.9% certainty no one will die at the, or towards the end (not the girls nor the crew); this anime isn't trying to make us feel depressed (Shirase's mother is the only top drama element of the series and she shall stay as one). I see people mentioning "made in abyss" but i personally fail to see any signs of this show suddenly taking a dark turn. The show is meant to be enjoyable; drama part is balanced and well done - I doubt they'll turn this show into more dramatic and less funny show for some reason.

P.S It is quite possible though that someone might give us a "heart attack", by falling under the ice or getting lost in a snow storm; in other words - be presumed dead for a moment, but they'll show up fine and well eventually, so expect to see smiling faces towards the end. If there'll be tears, they'll just be tears of joy.

9 episodes of character development and 4 episodes in Antarctica, it doesn't make sense, they've set up so many way for drama to develop and plan to cover 3 months of Antarctica in 4 episodes? I think there may be a second season with a more dramatic tone. Also the staff have worked on more dramatic series than a simple trip to Antarctica.
Mar 1, 2018 3:55 PM

Nov 2013

9 episodes of character development and 4 episodes in Antarctica, it doesn't make sense, they've set up so many way for drama to develop and plan to cover 3 months of Antarctica in 4 episodes? I think there may be a second season with a more dramatic tone. Also the staff have worked on more dramatic series than a simple trip to Antarctica.

guess we will have to wait and see, but i'm also certain the story shall end with the 13th episode. no need for season 2.

P.S maybe it IS just a SIMPLE TRIP to Antarctica (well the title also says that); the story just happens to have some drama in it - that's it. No new deaths; no traumas; no disasters. There will certainly be some feels moments such as: "mission over - returning home" and "goodbye mother".

That's MY opinion, but i would even bet 1000$ that the story shall have no dark turning point; nor there shall be a season 2 as the story shall end here.
Mar 1, 2018 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
sn3akyk1d said:
AzorAhai said:

As much as I want it, for now the chance of a season 2 is very very small.
Bcs it gets good reception, but in terms of hype it's not special.
(It's hype who convinces the big shots that if they do make another season, they can sell more merch.)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

383 by hhnnoovvaa »»
Apr 1, 5:13 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2018

399 by ReyanshManta »»
Mar 29, 10:28 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

165 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
Feb 25, 10:00 PM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2018

158 by X_Lynn_X »»
Feb 14, 7:23 AM

Poll: » Sora yori mo Tooi Basho Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2017

305 by Vosson12564_cool »»
Feb 13, 4:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.