Forum Settings
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 5, 2018 6:56 PM
Jul 2017
Before anything, please forgive my English, I'm French. This is sort of an exercise to me, so feel free to correct me.

For one year, Studio NuT disappeared from the radars. For obvious reasons (it would be an understatement to say that the first season was a success, and GOD BEING X that cliffhanger at the end of Episode 12 literally left you hanging on a cliff), everyone was expecting a sequel for Youjo Senki to come out in Winter 2018, twelve months after the first, but the year went through without any sign of life from NuT.

This was to be expected. I mean, the first season was a masterpiece, and if they didn't want to fall short of expectations, the sequel had to be equivalent in quality, if not better. Then again, NuT is a new studio : they certainly do not have the necessary manpower to mass-produce quality shows like KyoAni or A-1 do. Therefore, patience was necessary.

But that was until today. Only two days ago, I learned that the first season of YS was going to be rebroadcasted on TBS11. "Surely this would mean that some work was in progress within their studios, right?", I tried to convince myself. Though I've got to admit that I did not expect this turn of events at all, mainly for two reasons : first, they have far enough source material to make twelve new episodes. And second, by doing so they wouldn't be taking any risks, since the franchise has already established its fanbase. So why did they go with a movie?

So I guess we'll only be having a movie this year. Or are we? Anybody willing to bet on a new season for Fall 2018?

Then again, I would like to precise that I did not read the source material, so maybe there are some things I wouldn't know. Anyway, what do you think about that choice? I'd really appreciate to hear other points of view.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 5, 2018 6:59 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The movie is just a recap
Pretty sure they do this for a second season in the future.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 6, 2018 5:51 AM
Jan 2014
There is still a important announcement to be made at the recap of episode 2 on 8th.

https://twitter.com/youjosenki/status/947865094674833408
Jan 6, 2018 6:43 AM
Jul 2017
gimokes said:
There is still a important announcement to be made at the recap of episode 2 on 8th.

Any hope for a second season next Spring then?
Jan 6, 2018 7:04 AM
Jan 2014
SilentFactory said:
gimokes said:

Any hope for a second season next Spring then?

You mean this Spring season starting 3 months from now on? If so no, maybe at fall season at september, if this important announcement is really a second season.
Jan 6, 2018 7:29 AM
Jul 2017
I don't think we can expect a live-action movie, and I don't know what else it could be. I also can't imagine an OVA, for some reason.

Knowing there already is a YS recap, this one must be a remake, right? But Uemura is still in charge of the movie, so will it be an original animation, or a literal recap of the first season, with no more than a montage of the most important scenes?
Jan 6, 2018 7:55 AM
Jan 2014
I think it may be a second season annoucement for after the movie is released.
But me and many people are used with disappointment when it comes to "important annoucement" so I'm not even that hype up.
Jan 6, 2018 8:06 AM

Dec 2015
If this is suppose to be the "ultra important announcement" after all (as in its a recap), then im hugely dissapointed in all of anime industry. Like...are they high or something to consider a recap movie to be that of importance?
Jan 6, 2018 8:59 AM
Jan 2014
Robiiii said:
If this is suppose to be the "ultra important announcement" after all (as in its a recap), then im hugely dissapointed in all of anime industry. Like...are they high or something to consider a recap movie to be that of importance?

The "important annoucement" is in the 8th after the recap of episode 2 (prologue).
Jan 6, 2018 9:12 AM

Oct 2014
Attack on Titan, Overlord and Code Geass.

What do the 3 have in common? With the exception of between Code Geass S1 and Code Geass S2, these 3 series had one or multiple recap movies between each of their seasons.

Now add to that that Youjo Senki and Overlord are quite "close" to each other, for example Youjo Senki had an Overlord advertisment in Episode 2 and they also had the same music composer each.

Now with Youjo Senki also getting a recap movie and an upcoming "important announcement", what are the odds of a second season?
Jan 7, 2018 5:54 PM

Mar 2017
DatRandomDude said:

Not a recap, a sequel

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/6619
http://otakomu.jp/archives/657811.html
Jan 7, 2018 6:00 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Purezensu said:
DatRandomDude said:

Not a recap, a sequel

http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/6619
http://otakomu.jp/archives/657811.html
Pretty sure that i saw that it was a recap somewhere but thats cool, just saw that news on ANN.
Now im actually looking forward to it !

Jan 7, 2018 10:22 PM

Dec 2010
Not a recap? Good, hopefully mean S2 too at a later date like Overlord.
Jan 7, 2018 11:33 PM

Oct 2014
Wait, not a recap? Then the chance for S2 just fell considerably.
Jan 8, 2018 5:13 AM
Jan 2014
I don`t think so. Maybe this movie will cover the war agains't the remaining of the republican army that run away and then in the next season they will cover the wars agaisn't the other nations.
Jan 8, 2018 9:10 AM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
From what I've heard, the movie will depict the change in relationship between Tanya and the top brass, as well as the development of her troops.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-07/saga-of-tanya-the-evil-film-will-be-new-sequel-to-tv-anime/.126150

And yes @Grey-Zone - this makes me also more concerned that a S2 will not happen - we'll just have to wait and see.
Jan 8, 2018 9:20 AM

Sep 2013
No recap then? sound good.
Season 2 is possible depending on how well it does, the studio was made for this anime so no reason they wouldn't do it.
Jan 8, 2018 9:24 AM

Nov 2014
I'm glad they are going to make a movie and its not a recap but everyone wants to see a 2nd season and not a movie, lets hope they are going to make it.
Jan 8, 2018 9:26 AM

May 2015
It's always good to see not recap movie. :D
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 8, 2018 9:46 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
On one hand this probably lowers the chances of season 2, but on the other hand at least we're guaranteed to see new content animated this way
Jan 8, 2018 9:50 AM

Apr 2016
Guess I'll have to finish watching the series first

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Jan 8, 2018 10:02 AM

Dec 2016
2nd season hm *hype*
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jan 8, 2018 10:17 AM
May 2017
I'll take an actual movie over a recap any day
Jan 8, 2018 11:25 AM
Nov 2016
Ah, damn. A recap movie would be a lot better. It takes movies months to be available because they have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to sub them. With a recap movie, we`d have better chances of a season 2 and so more content. Anyway, better than nothing.
Jan 8, 2018 12:15 PM
Jul 2015
Either way is new content. The english books being release is a indication that this anime was well receive outside Japan. I mean could the movie being a season 2 compact? If it sells a tv series for a 3 season? Eithet way i am happy :)
perkunos.blogspot.com
Jan 8, 2018 12:23 PM

Apr 2016
New content is always good.
Jan 8, 2018 1:27 PM

Apr 2011
I might consider watching this movie. Season 1 was a bit lackluster for the hype of a crazed loli.
Jan 8, 2018 1:37 PM

Sep 2016
If it was a recap movie, there would be a high chance that we will get a second season. Overlord is a great example, it got 2 recap movies and now we have the second season.

But this new movie is new content so i don't know if we will get a S2
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Jan 8, 2018 2:28 PM

Aug 2016
So is it recap or not? Because we already got recap episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 8, 2018 2:57 PM

Sep 2014
afaik it was announced today or yesterday depending on your time zone that its not a recap movie
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 8, 2018 6:05 PM

Jun 2012
Wait, it's a sequel?! Didn't season 1 went original at the end??? I'm confused...
Jan 8, 2018 6:23 PM
May 2015
Martin_Taylor said:
So is it recap or not? Because we already got recap episode.

not a recap. it's gonna be a sequel. as other people said in this thread, i'm wonder if that lowers the chance of s2.
Jan 8, 2018 7:38 PM

Dec 2014
I liked the first season so much I'd settle for anything.

I have small reviews for almost ALL anime I've seen. Unlike any regular MAL page you've seen.

Ever wondering what I've watched and what I think about it? Check my List out below!

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Iam_Jermaine
Jan 9, 2018 7:33 AM

Apr 2013
Snaita said:
Wait, it's a sequel?! Didn't season 1 went original at the end??? I'm confused...

Season 1 didn't went "original at the end", they went "partially original during the whole anime (starting pretty much with episode 1 and 2)", but without ever straying so far away that getting a sequel that does the same (freely adapting while following the world events and the main things happening to tanya and her squadron) would be difficult.
Jan 9, 2018 4:53 PM

Jun 2012
Zefyris said:
Snaita said:

Season 1 didn't went "original at the end", they went "partially original during the whole anime (starting pretty much with episode 1 and 2)", but without ever straying so far away that getting a sequel that does the same (freely adapting while following the world events and the main things happening to tanya and her squadron) would be difficult.

Ah ok then, I thought there were some things that were bad so I thought they changed the ending from the novel. In your opinion, is season 1 a good adaptation?
Jan 10, 2018 12:34 AM

Apr 2013
Snaita said:
Zefyris said:

Ah ok then, I thought there were some things that were bad so I thought they changed the ending from the novel. In your opinion, is season 1 a good adaptation?

That's a tricky question.
Reasons to like YS anime are completely different from reasons to like YS LN. Technically, I don't see how anyone could call the anime "faithful". However if we're talking about an "adaptation" which stricto senso means that the studio has to "adapt" anything from the original material that wouldn't really work in anime form, then the studio did a good job at it. So it's not faithful at all, but it's a good anime adaptation, and as a matter of fact, many many watchers enjoyed the anime, which wouldn't have been the case if it stayed faithful.
I like the novels far more than the anime, but that's because I enjoy pure and well done military content and long psychological monologues from the MC.
We can't say "the novel is better" here, since it's aimed at a different public. Peoples who want military content and very developed MC's personality should go with the novels. Peoples who want a struggle against god's will and action should go with the anime.
Jan 10, 2018 2:17 AM

Jun 2012
Zefyris said:

Peoples who want military content and very developed MC's personality should go with the novels. Peoples who want a struggle against god's will and action should go with the anime.

I was hoping I could get the two, but you can't have both xD
Ok thanks for the explanation, I was really needing one.
Jan 10, 2018 10:58 AM
Aug 2014
Victor_BR said:
Ah, damn. A recap movie would be a lot better. It takes movies months to be available because they have to wait for the DVD/Blu-ray to sub them. With a recap movie, we`d have better chances of a season 2 and so more content. Anyway, better than nothing.

Half the fandom despised the Accel World movie while the other half, me included, have mixed feelings about it.

Half of it is a recap and the other half is original content.
Most of the complaints are about the wasted time for the recap.
I kinds echo their sentiment, and I liked the first Aoki Hagane movie which more or less did the same thing.

Depending on the series, recaps are rarely good.
Jan 10, 2018 4:24 PM
Nov 2016
StalkerFairy said:
Victor_BR said:

Half the fandom despised the Accel World movie while the other half, me included, have mixed feelings about it.

I kinds echo their sentiment, and I liked the first Aoki Hagane movie which more or less did the same thing.

If a movie is announced to be a recap, I don't see how it is bad. However, if they announced a movie would have new content and half of it turns out to be a recap then it's understandable.
Jan 10, 2018 7:17 PM
Nov 2016
StalkerFairy said:
Victor_BR said:

If a movie is announced to be a recap, I don't see how it is bad. However, if they announced a movie would have new content and half of it turns out to be a recap then it's understandable.
Jan 10, 2018 7:17 PM
Nov 2016
StalkerFairy said:
Victor_BR said:

Jan 10, 2018 8:33 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Well if this film can eventually lead into a 2nd season then im all for it tbh.
Feb 11, 2018 6:25 PM
The Madaora

Aug 2016
After reading what everyone said and checking out some sources, I have but a single question to ask. Has it been confirmed whether or not this movie will be cannon content. Since it isn't a recap, if it were non cannon then a second season would be much more possible if the movie did well I assume, though if it is a direct sequel of season 1 then it would be a loop around unless it passed expectations in terms of sales, I assume anyways. I just want to know if it's cannon. Not sure if that's a stupid question or not, just most franchises movies aren't cannon so I figured I'd ask if that info was out there or not.
Feb 15, 2018 6:20 AM
Mar 2017
Oh... How I wish there is a second season to this anime... This is one of my best anime... I hope there is a second season after this movie.... I really want to see the bad ass cool super cool Tanya
Mar 26, 2018 9:36 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
New visual for the movie

Mar 29, 2018 5:55 AM

Jan 2017
OH YES PLEASE! i wish i get to see it in the cinema in my country
Apr 25, 2018 3:57 PM
Apr 2018
Well i am looking forward to it but as long as the manga continue iam content with my monthly😭 dose of sociopath loli and waiting for season 2 but pls improve the character art the anime one pales compare to the manga
May 17, 2018 2:16 PM

Aug 2015
Is there a release date for the movie? Just finished season 1 and man, they just had to end it on such a cliffhanger/go read the LN type of ending.
Oct 16, 2018 12:40 PM
Feb 2016
i hope this movie not a recap but a sequel... because i'am very interesting about that kid at the end of eps 12.
Oct 19, 2018 9:38 PM

Jan 2016
the release date is out bois and it seems like it is a sequel.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Cypress- - May 16, 2019

163 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 9:00 PM

» Does anyone actually like Mary Sue?

Pirate8994 - Jan 1, 2022

31 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 25, 11:52 AM

» Really liked the addition of key soviet facts in this movie!

eMITrACk - Jan 2, 2023

6 by adbeaver »»
Jan 23, 6:53 AM

» Is this filler?

Golden_Cheese - Sep 1, 2023

12 by MrBoomTop10Anime »»
Sep 2, 2023 1:49 PM

» Will there be a sequel? -(also will this get a dub?)

awesomeblackman - Jul 5, 2019

19 by Tiffanys »»
Apr 24, 2023 4:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.