Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (25) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2018 8:07 AM

Mar 2014
Yes thank you for the rec too ^^
Jan 6, 2018 8:59 AM

Jan 2017
Fuzarca said:
Holy crap, formatting my post took much more time than I thought it would, and I have no idea why I chose watermelons as a theme, lol. Gonna use grapes for the anime one because why not.

Anyway, can someone recommend me a (very) good finished manhua? I always only read japanese manga, guess I got a bit of, I dunno, 'prejudice' against manga from other countries... but I need one for challenge 22 so there's nowhere to run. Only manhua, please, not manhwa.

Also, where can I search this? "43 Read a manga with a cast mostly of one gender"

You are allowed to change one item from the list for another as long as it's from the same tier to comply with difficulty requirements ^^

Rayyken said:
I'm not sure if I can or not, but can I still read things if they aren't on the MAL database?

Yes, you can as long as it's considered manga/manhwa or manhua. Webtoons count as well, just link to its page on another site like baka-updates for example so I can check it counts.
2024 Manga Reading Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

2024 Anime Watching Challenge: Sign Up Discussion

Discord server for MRC/AWC
Jan 6, 2018 9:02 AM

Dec 2016
@MRC_mod

What counts as an online magazine? It's never specifically stated...

Edit: Do you know a good place to find out what has drama CDs? Yes I tried Google
ScarletCelestialJan 6, 2018 9:08 AM
Jan 6, 2018 9:06 AM

Aug 2015
MRC_mod said:
You are allowed to change one item from the list for another as long as it's from the same tier to comply with difficulty requirements ^^

I see, thank you! I actually changed one on my anime challenge list (one that said I had to watch a dropped anime, I only have dropped one and don't want to watch it), but I'll keep the manga list as is, as getting out of our comfort zone is one of the points of this. :)

โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ˜†ใตใ‚ใตใ‚ใ‚‹โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“
โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“ใตใ‚ใตใ‚ใ‚Šโ˜†โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“โ–“

โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
      โค BE KAWAII โค         
Jan 6, 2018 9:24 AM

Jan 2017
ScarletCelestial said:
@MRC_mod

Edit: Do you know a good place to find out what has drama CDs? Yes I tried Google

All right, I'll add a note to it soon. It's a magazines that publishes manga in digital format
Examples
https://myanimelist.net/manga/magazine/419/Gangan_Online
https://myanimelist.net/manga/magazine/1139/Web_Comic_Zenyon

As for where to find what has been adapted to drama CDs, you can use
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Adapted+to+Drama+CD

Jan 6, 2018 9:30 AM

Dec 2016
MRC_mod said:
ScarletCelestial said:
@MRC_mod

All right, I'll add a note to it soon. It's a magazines that publishes manga in digital format
Examples
https://myanimelist.net/manga/magazine/419/Gangan_Online
https://myanimelist.net/manga/magazine/1139/Web_Comic_Zenyon

As for where to find what has been adapted to drama CDs, you can use
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Adapted+to+Drama+CD

Thank You for this!
Jan 6, 2018 11:26 AM

Jul 2015
@omakase
Can you rec something for 78.Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member ?
Jan 6, 2018 11:58 AM

Sep 2016
@omakase could you please give me a recommendation for this challenge? "(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member"
Jan 6, 2018 12:00 PM

Oct 2007
@Melt_meltdown Hoshi no Samidare
ๅฏ†ๅฎคๆฎบไบบใฏใชใœ็พŽใ—ใ„ใฎใ‹ใ€‚
Jan 6, 2018 12:25 PM

Dec 2008
Dumb question but I want to make sure I do this right. I've finished a couple things already this year and am starting my challenge going from January 1st. For the "Completed manga at sign-up" part do I put what the number was on the 1st instead of what it is today?

Also could I get a rec from a staff member and another participant please? Would prefer something in the 3-7 volume range but I'm up for anything.
Jan 6, 2018 12:33 PM

Apr 2013
letsgomeisei said:
Dumb question but I want to make sure I do this right. I've finished a couple things already this year and am starting my challenge going from January 1st. For the "Completed manga at sign-up" part do I put what the number was on the 1st instead of what it is today?

Also could I get a rec from a staff member and another participant please? Would prefer something in the 3-7 volume range but I'm up for anything.

Let's see. If you're starting your challenge from January 1st, then all the manga you finished before that counts as completed manga at sign-up. :)

I feel like recommending Isshuukan Friends. to you, hope you like it.
Jan 6, 2018 12:58 PM

Oct 2007
wariowariowario said:
@omakase could you please give me a recommendation for this challenge? "(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member"

Sure! What about Monster or if you want something shorter, Aku no Hana
Jan 6, 2018 1:06 PM

Sep 2016
omakase said:
wariowariowario said:

Sure! What about Monster or if you want something shorter, Aku no Hana

Thank you! I'll have to go with Aku no Hana because I've already watched the anime adaptation for Monster.
Jan 6, 2018 1:16 PM

Dec 2016
Hi there!
I want to start reading manga in 2.018, and this challenge is going to be a killer!
Please, recommend me "(44) Read an active staff member's favorite manga"

Thank you, and happy New Year :)
Jan 6, 2018 1:44 PM

Apr 2013
WhiteZuri said:
Hi there!
I want to start reading manga in 2.018, and this challenge is going to be a killer!

In this case, it means from MAL's staff members, not the challenge.
So you can go into any of the profiles here and choose a manga from their favorite to read. :)
Either way, I'd recommend you Kineta's Tomodachi no Hanashi, or any one of Touka's favorites. :P
Jan 6, 2018 1:53 PM

Dec 2016
HeNrYTG50 said:
WhiteZuri said:
Hi there!

In this case, it means from MAL's staff members, not the challenge.
So you can go into any of the profiles here and choose a manga from their favorite to read. :)
Either way, I'd recommend you Kineta's Tomodachi no Hanashi, or any one of Touka's favorites. :P

Thank you for the tip!!!
Jan 6, 2018 4:46 PM

Mar 2013
Punkero said:
Ok @AudioTsunami, recommend me something please

Ressentiment
Gon
Kokou no Hito
Jan 6, 2018 6:02 PM

Feb 2014
AudioTsunami said:
Punkero said:
Ok @AudioTsunami, recommend me something please

Ressentiment
Gon
Kokou no Hito

Thanks, I will certanly go with Ressentiment.

BTW, is just a coincidence that they are all seinen, or somehow you knew that's the demographic I prefer?
Jan 6, 2018 6:35 PM

Apr 2013
Inujeck said:
(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member

If you can help me I would appreciate it very much @HeNrYTG50 :D

Let me see..
Shaman King is a classic, Hoshi no Samidare is one of my favorites, although I do recommend it to anyone that seems like they will appreciate it, maybe something like RRR.
Jan 6, 2018 7:05 PM

Mar 2013
Punkero said:
AudioTsunami said:

Ressentiment
Gon
Kokou no Hito

Thanks, I will certanly go with Ressentiment.

BTW, is just a coincidence that they are all seinen, or somehow you knew that's the demographic I prefer?

i just assume everyone on mal is a dude in their 20s
Jan 6, 2018 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
AudioTsunami said:

i just assume everyone on mal is a dude in their 20s

Works for me. ¯\_(ใƒ„)_/¯
Jan 6, 2018 7:27 PM

Apr 2016
@AudioTsunami

Eyy, could I get a rec for 78 / recommended by a challenge staff member?

Ideally something that can be read online + is completed. I'm trying to do all finished manga as a sort of self-challenge!

If it helps any, I end up reading a lot of seinen, which you seem to as well.
Jan 6, 2018 9:32 PM

Mar 2013
Romiress said:
@AudioTsunami

Eyy, could I get a rec for 78 / recommended by a challenge staff member?

Ideally something that can be read online + is completed. I'm trying to do all finished manga as a sort of self-challenge!

If it helps any, I end up reading a lot of seinen, which you seem to as well.

Kokou No Hito
Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou
Jan 6, 2018 9:45 PM

Apr 2016
AudioTsunami said:
Kokou No Hito
Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou

Eyyy, thanks a ton. Hadn't heard either, but going for Kanojo, since it looks like my kind of thing!
Jan 6, 2018 11:07 PM

Apr 2017
@MRC_mod some random words to satisfy the character limit
[img]https://i.imgur.com/z9KtCor.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/s7g5XsT.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/zy3YXuN.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/aWy0BpD.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/BR1qQLl.jpg[/img] [img]https://i.imgur.com/UbOFSyf.jpg[/img]

xYuuJan 6, 2018 11:13 PM
Jan 7, 2018 1:47 AM

Aug 2015
Hello! Can someone please help me with (78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member please? (Sorry if you're busy!) @omakase @AudioTsunami @HeNrYTG50

I don't mind the genre, but preferably I would like it to be 4-7 volumes (or even shorter) since I'm doing expert mode and I'm going to be short on time this year.

Really looking forward to participating in the challenge for my third year in a row, thank you staff members for all your hard work!
Jan 7, 2018 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
@BrainpanSonata could you give me a recommendation for the challenge? Decided to split between manga/anime.
Jan 7, 2018 4:25 AM

Mar 2014
@omakase need a rec for (78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member. im not fussy on a genre or length of series ^^ thanks
Jan 7, 2018 4:32 AM

Oct 2015
>(10) Read a manga series you can finish in one day:
as long i finish it in 1 day, any chapter count is accepted right?

>(45) Read a manga that was recently reviewed:
since i cant really cheat with this,
1.how do i turn on recent manga reviews
2. as long as i start on the day it was reviewed, not completely that days works right?

>(51) Read a gekiga manga:
yea no idea wot is dis

>(53) Read a manga written by someone from the Year 24 Group:
same, no idea

>(62) Read a manga that started serialization the year you joined MAL:
ok so most if not all of the manga im interested in fom 2015 are still publishing, how does that work

> (74) Read a manga based on real event or person:
just needs to say based on right? it doesnt need to be historiccally accurate?

>(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member:
so @omakase

>(83) Read a manga that is related to something you have previously read:
one shots count?

>(85) Re-read a manga:
do i have to mark it as reread or no , cause when i reread i just set count to zero and start adding again
Hottest Take Ever, fite me: Fairy Tail is better than Seiya, Bungou Stray and Hitman Reborn
Jan 7, 2018 4:52 AM

May 2016
(17) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

Can someone please give me a rec? I would be glad to read something not very long and not depressing (Slice of Life, Comedy, Romance, etc.).
Jan 7, 2018 6:35 AM

Dec 2015
Could someone give me a recommendation for item 17, please? :3 Preferably something not very long (10 volumes max).
Jan 7, 2018 7:02 AM

Feb 2014
Can I get uhh
(17) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

and

(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member

Would appreciate
Jan 7, 2018 7:09 AM

Jan 2017
Are novels not allowed? Also, does reread counts? For example, reading a manga I've completed already.
Jan 7, 2018 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
I need two recs. One is for: (17) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.
The other is from the challenge staff, please @omakase @AudioTsunami @HeNrYTG50 rec me something! As a heads up, it should be a completed manga and I'd prefer if it's not longer than 5-8 volumes, thanks!
Jan 7, 2018 8:16 AM

Mar 2013
VongolaTempesta said:
Hello! Can someone please help me with (78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member please? (Sorry if you're busy!) @omakase @AudioTsunami @HeNrYTG50

I don't mind the genre, but preferably I would like it to be 4-7 volumes (or even shorter) since I'm doing expert mode and I'm going to be short on time this year.

Really looking forward to participating in the challenge for my third year in a row, thank you staff members for all your hard work!

densha otoko
suiiki
Jan 7, 2018 8:17 AM

Mar 2013
oberstein said:
I need two recs. One is for: (17) Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread.
The other is from the challenge staff, please @omakase @AudioTsunami @HeNrYTG50 rec me something! As a heads up, it should be a completed manga and I'd prefer if it's not longer than 5-8 volumes, thanks!

glaucos
gon
suikii
Jan 7, 2018 8:20 AM

Jan 2017
Scarlett_ryuken said:
>(10) Read a manga series you can finish in one day:
as long i finish it in 1 day, any chapter count is accepted right?

>(45) Read a manga that was recently reviewed:
since i cant really cheat with this,
1.how do i turn on recent manga reviews
2. as long as i start on the day it was reviewed, not completely that days works right?

>(51) Read a gekiga manga:
yea no idea wot is dis

same, no idea

>(62) Read a manga that started serialization the year you joined MAL:
ok so most if not all of the manga im interested in fom 2015 are still publishing, how does that work

> (74) Read a manga based on real event or person:
just needs to say based on right? it doesnt need to be historiccally accurate?

>(78) Read a manga recommended to you by a challenge staff member:
so @omakase

>(83) Read a manga that is related to something you have previously read:
one shots count?

>(85) Re-read a manga:
do i have to mark it as reread or no , cause when i reread i just set count to zero and start adding again

(10) Yes, any chapter count works for this, even one-shot

>(45) You just have to start it on the same day, not finish. Recently reviewed manga are here https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?t=manga

>(51) There's a list of authors in the FAQ under the spoiler tag in the first post of this discussion

>(53) Same as above, ask lady_freyja for recs since she knows a lot about this

>(62) Nobody said you cannot use on-going haha

> (74) It doesn't matter if it's historically accurate, no

>(83) Yes, one-shots count

>No, you don't have to mark it as re-read, I will trust you on your word xD

Shineee_ said:
Are novels not allowed? Also, does reread counts? For example, reading a manga I've completed already.

Light novels only count for the tier 3 item that requires the light novel type, they cannot be used for any other item. Re-reading counts for anything, yeah.

Jan 7, 2018 9:11 AM

Jul 2012
I've started reading Kokou no Hito and would like to know if it fits challenge no. 74,
Read a manga based on real event or person

It says in Wikipedia that it is "partially based on real-life mountain climber Buntarล Katล". So I wonder if it is okay for it to be only loosely based?
Jan 7, 2018 9:56 AM

Mar 2017
BLOODYRAIN10001 said:
@BrainpanSonata could you give me a recommendation for the challenge? Decided to split between manga/anime.

Rookies because baseball and good art
Kozure Ookami or Blade of the Immortal for excellent samurai action
Homunculus if you want good horror in a mundane setting
Soil if you want something Twin Peaks freaky
I'd say Mushishi, but half the volumes were scanned in the Slap It On The Scanner and Pray method.
Jan 7, 2018 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
Scarlett_ryuken said:
same, no idea

You've watched the anime version of Versailles no Bara, Terra e and Oniisama e. If their manga interest you.

Otherwise: Ten no Hate made: Poland Hishi since you seem to have enjoyed Versailles no Bara.
Jan 7, 2018 11:55 AM

Oct 2007
@VongolaTempesta Ashita no Ousama might be right up your alley considering your interest in playwriting?

@starfishalliance Terra e... or 11-nin iru!

@minzie Hikaru no Go or Sayonara Sorcier

@Scarlett_ryuken Doumu or Kanojo wo Mamoru 51 no Houhou

@kyleinfinity Nozoki Ana

@oberstein Otaku no Musume-san har har
Jan 7, 2018 12:00 PM

Apr 2013
#17 Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

Could I get a recommendation from someone? I tend to read only shoujo-type manga and would prefer to change that up.
Jan 7, 2018 12:06 PM

Feb 2014
Where are featured manga found for (46) Read a featured manga?
Jan 7, 2018 12:52 PM

Dec 2008
mewygirl said:
#17 Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread

Could I get a recommendation from someone? I tend to read only shoujo-type manga and would prefer to change that up.

I saw you rated the Cross Game anime highly, so I would be incredibly remiss to not recommend Touch, by the same artist and my favorite manga of all time.

Since that one is kind of long, however, and I saw Koe no Katachi on your plan to read list I would recommend that 1000%. I haven't finished Monster but I often see it recommended alongside MW, which I have read and enjoyed and if you're looking for something on the more adult-oriented side I'd recommend that as well.
Jan 7, 2018 1:52 PM
Sep 2014
Hey, since i'm kinda new to this whole thing, I'm having problems with the first item already.

(01) Read a collection of short stories:
So, I actually dont know how to find or identify a Manga as a "collection of short stories"

(02) Read an award-winning manga
Same here, dont really know which manga did win an award.

Guess, there will be more items, where I wont know how to find a manga for that catergory. So, any Tips for me? :/ (also taking recommendations)

Jan 7, 2018 2:07 PM

Mar 2017
kyleinfinity said:
Where are featured manga found for (46) Read a featured manga?

It's linked in the explanations list in the signup thread, but you can also find the articles in question in the drop down menu Industry -> Featured Articles. Any manga listed in a given article counts. You'll also need to link the article where the manga was mentioned in your signup form.

mewygirl said:

Billy Bat and 20th Century Boys are by the same author as Monster. Judge is the sequel to Doubt. Aria and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou some nice SoLs if you don't want to go full on battle manga with your shounen or seinen. And if you do want to go full on battle manga, Tokyo ESP and Fullmetal Alchemist are good reads.
BrainpanSonataJan 7, 2018 2:18 PM
Jan 7, 2018 2:08 PM

Feb 2016
xAzaelx said:
(01) Read a collection of short stories:
So, I actually dont know how to find or identify a Manga as a "collection of short stories"

everything from this list is an collection of shorts. But it's better to go with some mangaka you like

xAzaelx said:
(02) Read an award-winning manga
Same here, dont really know which manga did win an award.

Everything from this list

you just have to go here and type what you're looking for
Jan 7, 2018 2:19 PM

Sep 2017
""#17 Read a manga recommended to you by another participant in the discussion thread""

Looking for a recommendation! Fine with any genre, but preferably completed and under 50 chapters.
1000rosesJan 8, 2018 5:31 AM
Jan 7, 2018 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
BrainpanSonata said:
BLOODYRAIN10001 said:

Rookies because baseball and good art
Kozure Ookami or Blade of the Immortal for excellent samurai action
Homunculus if you want good horror in a mundane setting
Soil if you want something Twin Peaks freaky
I'd say Mushishi, but half the volumes were scanned in the Slap It On The Scanner and Pray method.

I'll probably read Homunculus or Rookies, I've had the latter on my plan to read for a while. ty
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (25) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
2 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1053 by Alexioos95 »»
2 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

22 by Jutrio »»
2 hours ago

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

35 by Lucifrost »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

375 by YahwehTzVaoth »»
11 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.