Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 5, 2018 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, it was an alright episode, pretty standard for an A-1 Picture Action-Fantasy series.

They adapted Siluca's character in the way I had expected to with her voice and personality. Theo made quite an impression during his encounter with her while also displaying his combat skills.

Grancrest Senki's world seems like colorful enough so far. Definitely gives me the fantasy vibe with the monsters and supernatural elements involved. Siluca and Theo got the most screen time so far so I expect the show to develop them over time. I don't like Theo much at the moment, feels really blend for a protagonist.
Stark700Jan 5, 2018 9:21 AM
Jan 5, 2018 8:02 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
After watching the first episode, i am a little disappointed, not for the story/plot, that is near to the manga, it was for the animation style/quality, poor that i expect!!!
Shine and Dark, and a miraculous power to be great....??
Jan 5, 2018 9:15 AM
Dec 2017
Ranxomare said:
After watching the first episode, i am a little disappointed, not for the story/plot, that is near to the manga, it was for the animation style/quality, poor that i expect!!!
The animation and direction was great, much better than most A-1 Fantasy anime. There wasn't any crazy sakuga moments but it definitely looked good.
Jan 5, 2018 9:17 AM

Apr 2016
Oh yeah, right, this is one of "those" shows.
Jan 5, 2018 9:20 AM

Jun 2015
This was a decent first episode. Got some world building and introductions to some characters. Art and animation is okay. Theo made quite the impression to Siluca. He's skilled and has his own castle now.
Jan 5, 2018 9:33 AM

Dec 2016
I mean my standards for this show in it being an A-1 fantasy and action show with a female protagonist are at about as high as it usually is for an a-1 show. If this show somehow breaks the mold of averageness that it painted throughout this first episode that would be cool but I'm not really expecting much. But since I'm a basic fantasy loving biyotch I'll probably watch this show to completion, I just hope it can keep getting better
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 5, 2018 10:11 AM

Jul 2015
The plot is all over the place. I can't quite follow what is happening.

What is this chaos, the demon lord, the assassination... why those two are allies out of nowhere and now have a domain?

Jan 5, 2018 10:13 AM

Nov 2013
TheFreycook said:
I mean my standards for this show in it being an A-1 fantasy and action show with a female protagonist are at about as high as it usually is for an a-1 show. If this show somehow breaks the mold of averageness that it painted throughout this first episode that would be cool but I'm not really expecting much. But since I'm a basic fantasy loving biyotch I'll probably watch this show to completion, I just hope it can keep getting better
GrapeEyedOne said:
Ranxomare said:
The animation and direction was great, much better than most A-1 Fantasy anime. There wasn't any crazy sakuga moments but it definitely looked good.
Ranxomare said:

If It wasn't adapted by Tomohiko Itou , Takahiko Kyogoku or senior directors who has tasted A-1's hell, or a producer who invests a lot of goddamn money into the project like Cygames did, expect the worst since A-1 is probably gonna outsourcing half the show most of the time. So, lower down your expectation.

It's kind of unwritten rule for any show that was adapted under A-1 Pictures to get mediocre-to-low level of adaptation careness
GethemalotJan 5, 2018 6:23 PM
Jan 5, 2018 10:30 AM

May 2009
im not falling for this again, A-1!
Jan 5, 2018 10:31 AM

Jul 2012
The plot was a little crazy, lost some interest at the end.

"There are three things you can never get back: The word after it's said, the moment after it's missed, and the time after it's gone."
-Koe no Katachi

Jan 5, 2018 10:31 AM

May 2017
I Really want to like this, I've had my eye on this since the beginning of 2017. But holy cow did they start from nothing in this episode to the guy owning a whole castle and becoming a lord right after he said "My dream is to become a lord".
Oh yea and doesn't Siluca remind you of a dog who lost interest or just forgot what she was supposed to do. Like, "ooh a new play toy!"

Wtf!? If this isn't horrible pacing there can be no horrible pacing, and we all know that's wrong.

*Cough cough* Black clover *cough cough*
Jan 5, 2018 10:36 AM

Mar 2014
This episode was fine and I love the artstyle. Gotta love Siluca as she seems different from those generic female leads.

Jan 5, 2018 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
Well my fantasy fix of the season came in and I gotta say, I freaking love this episode. Not the best premiere wise, and yeah it was a bit messy. But I do like the characters and some of the stuff that captured the feeling of the setting, something that didn't really sit well for me from the director's past work.
Jan 5, 2018 10:58 AM

Jul 2012
Don't know was thinking about even givinig this chance, was reading manga and it was really confusing what's happening, overall decent i guess. After watching 1st episode have really perplexed feelings, is it good, is it bad, the same for animation, the story seems to be just generic and the confusing part is still here. As the first impression feels more so-so, but will try couple episodes ...
allenjkeJan 5, 2018 11:09 AM
Jan 5, 2018 11:12 AM

Jul 2017
Well at least it's just a regular old fantasy and not another shitty isekai where some japanese loser who gets transported to a fantasy world and immediately gains a harem of 10/10 girls, so I'll give it points for that. Also the author of this series is the same guy behind Lodoss which is a classic Fantasy anime. But on the other hand it's A-1 Pictures which doesn't bode well especially since it's a two cour show. I guess we will see in due time how it plays out.
Jan 5, 2018 11:34 AM

Aug 2014
Generic plot, generic characters, bad pacing, generic systematic introduction, not daring.
This could make for a somewhat enjoyable game, but as an anime? I'm not playing so why would I care about generic fantasy setting n°422? I can't even begin to get invested in a character that litterally tells his past, motives and goals the very moment he appears, which btw was such a bland way to introduce his character that I can't remember well what his character is doing, something something demons something sistina and I just finished watching it, I seriously couldn't care less... I'm not saying this is bad, but it shows no potential whatsoever as a decent anime series. Only good point is that main character, Theo I think it was, actually made his crest and equipment by himself.

Also animations are having hiccups or something, I saw an elephant walking very weirdly at the completely pointless introductive part, as well as fights looking like they're in slowmo as if that makes it easier to understand what's going on, which only makes the fact that the animators appearently have no idea how swordsmanship works even more noticeable.

As FukGoBack already said, Siluca is appearently set to only exist with main character, as everything she is, does, likes, dislikes, and her individuality as a whole were given completely up the moment she said "I want to see what he can do", and even after Theo pulled off a barely decent fight she decided "yep, that's it, I don't need my own character".

And one more thing, what the heck is wrong with that Lord that was kicked out? Are we supposed to assume he's a lord just because he's got a mantle? Because he totally looked like any other peasant. Oh, right, generic is the keyword here.
Ruka desu.
Jan 5, 2018 11:40 AM

Sep 2016
Generic: The Animation
just like Grandblue
dropped, friday is awful this season
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Jan 5, 2018 11:48 AM

Jun 2016
It might turn out to be very generic, but I got a feeling that I´m going to like this anyway. It seems to be walking straight up my ally, with some fantasy, action, magic and the potential for some romance. I´m quite picky when it comes to female leads, and Siluca seems to be strong willed, competent and no where near a damsel in distress.

As always when it comes to A-1, I have no high expectations when it comes to action animation, but the chartacter desgins look decent enough, and the backgrounds are look good.

Jan 5, 2018 11:49 AM
Nov 2017
IT was an ok enough first episode, I'm interested to see where it goes but I'm not entirely hooked yet.
Jan 5, 2018 11:54 AM
Jan 2018
Is there romance? Feels like it will happen but it doesn’t have the romance tag.

Also wished that the female MC had bigger chest. Doesn’t have to be huge but god damn, she more flat than my floor despite being pretty...
Jan 5, 2018 12:03 PM
Dec 2012
Could not hook me. The show feels pretty generic. Overall the pacing is a bit to fast for my taste. Maybe i will watch one more episode
Jan 5, 2018 12:17 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Pacing felt a bit too fast at times but other than that, I enjoyed this first episode

Theo and Siluca (her especially) aren't unlikable at all and the world and mechanics seems pretty fun and filled with a good amount of potential too so I'll look forward to seeing where things go from here

Art and animation were okay, but I'm glad that the gorey bits weren't toned down much
Jan 5, 2018 12:18 PM

Aug 2014
terrible first episode
wayyyy tooo fast
concept itself seems so basic
Jan 5, 2018 12:23 PM

Oct 2014
pacing is all over the place <.<
Jan 5, 2018 12:57 PM
Jun 2017
as someone who read the manga i really dissapointed.. theo look very weak in here while in the manga he has somekind of charisma and ambition..

the style and art is fine but the action is shit compared to the manga

6/10 for first episode
TyrelJan 8, 2018 11:47 PM
Jan 5, 2018 1:24 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
A political marriage that symbolises the ending of a war between two countries huh. So that was the Grand Hall tragedy that splintered the alliance between the Factory Federation and the Fantasy alliance before it even began. But that uniform of Siluca's though really is bad. Hmm that was an impressive display from Theo. Hmm Siluca's method sure was a risky one but im glad that Theo was successful. So thats how Siluca ended up being contracted to Theo. The trios entrance at the castle though sure was interesting. To think that it managed to cause the resident mage to desert his lord though. An impressive first episode that did well to introduce the main heroine and hero.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 5, 2018 1:36 PM

Feb 2015
Solid first episode with some nice art. I was a bit dissapointed by some of the action scenes. They seem rather stiff and I expect better from A1.

Should be an entertaining series at least
Jan 5, 2018 2:20 PM
Jan 2017
This was a decent enough episode, the premise was set up nicely and we get a clear enough idea of the setting. The narrative progression and action sequences were a bit lacking, though, and it seems Siluca is the more motivated of the leading duo. Hopefully, Theo will evolve beyond the light novel protagonist archetype and a more proper relationship with Siluca will be developed.
Jan 5, 2018 2:48 PM

Dec 2014
Decent start.

I think they tried to introduce a little too much in the first episode with the crests, chaos and all that. Exposition wasn't bad but more fast, I'm expecting they'll clear stuff up with much more clarity in the following episodes.

I'm not entirely sure what Siluca saw in Theo, the whole 'I want to see what he can do' plus the random contract forming felt more contrived than natural but a show has to start someway I guess?
I do like Siluca's design.

It certainly does feel like a decent series with the potential to be even better than what we got in this first episode so I'm hopeful of future episodes.
Jan 5, 2018 2:49 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Well, when he defeated the two heads dog was lucky yet!!
Jan 5, 2018 2:52 PM

Dec 2016
Wow that was quite the sudden turn of events at the start.

A wedding erupts into chaos and a war begins.

Siluca is bit of a strange girl but indeed powerful, I thought it was cool how she summoned that 2 headed beast.

Theo still has a long way to go but I am looking forward to see how he grows and improves in the future episodes, I like his goal and ambitions.

Siluca is using him but doesn't seem to be for a bad reason.

Decent anime so far, looking forward to watching more.
Jan 5, 2018 2:57 PM

Oct 2010
Not much I can really say about this episode. Animation and music was pretty solid. Stuff happened, so that's good. Character's seem likeable enough. I guess my main comment is that Siluca seems like she would've been perfect for Risa Taneda
Jan 5, 2018 3:13 PM

Jun 2014
another pile of shit light novel adaptation from A1, it looks horrible, the animation is bad, the aesthetic is bad, the pace is atrocious, I think people are finally starting to get tired of these kinds of low effort garbage fantasy LN shows
:3
Jan 5, 2018 3:25 PM

Dec 2015
Hmmm not so sure about this one or if I'll check out the next ep. It went way too fast and the visuals are not so hot.
Jan 5, 2018 3:33 PM

Jan 2009
Amazing how some people manage to completely figure out a character after 1 episode :)

Of course it's all BS. Siluca is a fairly multilayered character, as the story will show.
Jan 5, 2018 3:50 PM
Aug 2017
not great, not bad, pretty average, nothing spectacular and nothing terrible

I hope the relation between Theo and Siluca doesn't turn to be "please step on me", he doesn't need to be a Kirito but it will be pretty bad if he is just a puppet who just follow her orders without doing something by himself

I may drop it if I get too bored while watching, but let's see if it gets better
Jan 5, 2018 3:58 PM

Jan 2018

Well, it's pretty obvious you don't have any knowledge about source material. Theo Cornaro is the canon main protagonist of the Grancrest Senki series, Siluca Meletes is the main heroine/girl main. I almost forgot, Siluca Meletes is MC's waifu too.
Jan 5, 2018 4:04 PM

May 2015
Not a bad first episode, but these type of shows can go either way. Guess we'll see in time how it ends up eventually. So far, it's enjoyable.

Jan 5, 2018 4:19 PM
Sep 2017
I found the lore of this world and how it works (from what was showed in the first episode), to be very intriguing. Plus I like that fact that the what I'm assuming to be the female lead is actually a bad ass from the sound of it and wont be an ecchi filler character. I look forward to more of this show.
Jan 5, 2018 4:20 PM
Sep 2017
EtoileSosso said:
This episode was fine and I love the artstyle. Gotta love Siluca as she seems different from those generic female leads.

Ya I totally agree with you. I got high hopes for this show
Jan 5, 2018 4:27 PM

Jan 2014
I like that Green dude was perceptive when it came to MC's manipulation lol. Hmm, they both seem likable, I ship it. As for his sad face, let me guess, there was a girl he liked and he didn't have enough power to save her or whatever?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Jan 5, 2018 4:50 PM
Dec 2013
just another cliche-filled anime with goody two shoe protagonist

i hope for some cliche-filled anime with badass protagonist
Jan 5, 2018 5:27 PM

Feb 2013
Siluca is hot.
So nice to see a strong female main character.
I just hope this green haired dude doesn't turn out to be a harem master.
Siluca is in charge, reverse harem if you must.
Jan 5, 2018 5:58 PM

Aug 2013
Welp between this and Toji no Miko, this is better but only by a small margin. I'm kinda tilted how this whole 'war' began because it makes no sense. Both countries are about to unite with a marriage, both leaders are killed by the Demon Lord, yet said countries don't band together for peace but instead just go after each other. That's stupid.
Don't believe the hype.
Jan 5, 2018 6:10 PM

Jan 2018
rocketred said:

Slut whore mage girl finds teenage boy MC and decides to support him because he's the MC so she p. At least he isn't some ugly nip who got transported here from Japan and gets a harem of aryan semen demons. However, despite all of that, I liked the MC, but it really piss me how he's is treated like a fucking puppet for Shiruka to achieve her ambitions. What's so special about that crest?

Crests are magical symbols of power/authority that form the basis of most magic and political structures in the setting. Crest owners form contracts with mages who enter their service and swear themselves to them, powerful crests can bolster entire armies (kinda like Bastila's battle meditation if you played KOTOR), and the more powerful and high ranking your crest the more authority you have in the kingdoms.

The vast majority of crests are inherited or granted by more powerful people to subordinates as political tools, the very first crest (the titular grand crest) was used by an old hero to combat chaos way back when and everyone is mostly coasting off his victory even to this day.

The MC obtained his crest from killing a chaos beast, which is why it's so weak to start with and also why he's an apolitical white knight at the beginning of the story. Shiruka is a magical prodigy that is disgusted by the way the two main factions use their crests for dickwaving and political battles instead of benefitting the people or fighting chaos. She essentially forces MC into contracting with her to get out of a previous obligation to be sent to serve someone she doesn't like that her wizard school made her agree to.

Theo ends up being mostly bossed around by shiruka in a reversal of the typical Lord and mage relationship but Theo proves himself to not be as empty headed as he first appears and after saving her bacon enough they form a partnership.

It's all very Fire Emblem-esque and if you don't want to watch/read a series about a young lord gathering allies from all walks of life and overcoming enemies through camaraderie, magic bullshit and keikaku then you probably won't like this. The alderamin and vanadis comparisons are pretty apt.

There's 15 some translated chapters out so you can spend a bit reading them and then decide if you want to bother. The manga art is very pretty and since it's seinen there's no dense male MC nonsense when it comes to his girls.
Jan 5, 2018 6:25 PM

Jun 2013
Well...this Follows Novels and Manga it looks like quite well...that is good...Love the Manga and now I am going to witness it in Anime.... Well beginning may be little slow....but This will get better I assure you....

and we See that Vilar count that may be quite an enemy in future... not confirmed tough...

Looks good and brutality is not that censored...Heads cut off....yeah Promising if Bland start, but it get's better from here....and Theo too!

OP Looks and Sounds Good
JarjaxleJan 5, 2018 6:41 PM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Jan 5, 2018 6:47 PM
Jan 2018
changmakie said:
rocketred said:

Slut whore mage girl finds teenage boy MC and decides to support him because he's the MC so she p. At least he isn't some ugly nip who got transported here from Japan and gets a harem of aryan semen demons. However, despite all of that, I liked the MC, but it really piss me how he's is treated like a fucking puppet for Shiruka to achieve her ambitions. What's so special about that crest?

Crests are magical symbols of power/authority that form the basis of most magic and political structures in the setting. Crest owners form contracts with mages who enter their service and swear themselves to them, powerful crests can bolster entire armies (kinda like Bastila's battle meditation if you played KOTOR), and the more powerful and high ranking your crest the more authority you have in the kingdoms.

The vast majority of crests are inherited or granted by more powerful people to subordinates as political tools, the very first crest (the titular grand crest) was used by an old hero to combat chaos way back when and everyone is mostly coasting off his victory even to this day.

The MC obtained his crest from killing a chaos beast, which is why it's so weak to start with and also why he's an apolitical white knight at the beginning of the story. Shiruka is a magical prodigy that is disgusted by the way the two main factions use their crests for dickwaving and political battles instead of benefitting the people or fighting chaos. She essentially forces MC into contracting with her to get out of a previous obligation to be sent to serve someone she doesn't like that her wizard school made her agree to.

Theo ends up being mostly bossed around by shiruka in a reversal of the typical Lord and mage relationship but Theo proves himself to not be as empty headed as he first appears and after saving her bacon enough they form a partnership.

It's all very Fire Emblem-esque and if you don't want to watch/read a series about a young lord gathering allies from all walks of life and overcoming enemies through camaraderie, magic bullshit and keikaku then you probably won't like this. The alderamin and vanadis comparisons are pretty apt.

Thanks. This cleared up a lot of questions I had after watching it. But I still have doubts about him. Why is MC happily going with what main girl is throwing at him with no questions asked? Is this actually like Madan no Ou to Vanadis? I really liked that show.

rocketred said:
there's no dense male MC nonsense when it comes to his girls.

That's enough to make me keep watching.
Jan 5, 2018 7:10 PM

May 2017
Generic boring bland lame MC: Plot convenience activate!!

Aaaaaaaand just like that he got himself a waifu, a tool for his shitty character, and they will develop a romantic relationship fight the evil for his generic boring dream

5/10 glad it's over

Wait, this is just the first episode? It was so generic and predictable it felt like whole 12 episode and I instinctively rated it

As generic as this show is, I guess I'll still give the next episode a chance
LairucremJan 5, 2018 11:43 PM
Jan 5, 2018 7:51 PM

Sep 2015
i really wanted to like this, but it was horribly handled that i don't have interest in watching this on a week by week basis.
N.etorare T.echnical R.esearcher
Jan 5, 2018 7:54 PM

Aug 2012
The introduction was so generic, remember me magic, but a lot more boring.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2018

489 by DesolatePsyche »»
Mar 26, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2018

146 by Leniam »»
Feb 27, 6:52 AM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2018

61 by nick_el_son »»
Feb 24, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 22 Discussion

Icedout15 - Oct 25, 2018

5 by phantom346 »»
Feb 3, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Grancrest Senki Episode 24 Discussion

ToG25thBaam - Aug 8, 2018

37 by Princesanatankum »»
Jan 29, 5:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.