Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Devilman: Crybaby Episode 10 Discussion

May 12, 9:50 AM

I do find myself turning more and more on Crybaby as an adaptation, I mean when it came out I was just so grateful to see a new Devilman adaptation, but its a case of, what it kept the same from the manga was still good, but every change it made was bad, the visual style and soundtrack are really mixed bag quality (things to like and things to dislike about both). It's really not like getting a follow up to the OVAs from 87-90 which were doing an amazing job adapting the manga and actually improving on it in many ways, and remain great pieces of horror animation that don't get the credit they deserve. Might have been different if 2-3 more parts were made and the story fully adapted.

Increasingly I do feel I'd rather just recommend the manga (its available to buy in the west now officially) than recommend Crybaby, its just represents itself a lot better than Crybaby does. I also still think the Devilman Lady anime is way better, as I've said many a time here, and is really the best complete Devilman story in animation, even if as an adaptation, it chose to do its own thing, but it does it very well.

Also yeah I'm not saying Anno wasn't inspired by Devilman to do Evangelion, I just don't think in the end the stories are anything alike and I didn't particularly like it.
Modified by hybridial, May 12, 9:53 AM

May 13, 10:35 AM

hybridial said:
I do find myself turning more and more on Crybaby as an adaptation, I mean when it came out I was just so grateful to see a new Devilman adaptation, but its a case of, what it kept the same from the manga was still good, but every change it made was bad, the visual style and soundtrack are really mixed bag quality (things to like and things to dislike about both). It's really not like getting a follow up to the OVAs from 87-90 which were doing an amazing job adapting the manga and actually improving on it in many ways, and remain great pieces of horror animation that don't get the credit they deserve. Might have been different if 2-3 more parts were made and the story fully adapted.

Increasingly I do feel I'd rather just recommend the manga (its available to buy in the west now officially) than recommend Crybaby, its just represents itself a lot better than Crybaby does. I also still think the Devilman Lady anime is way better, as I've said many a time here, and is really the best complete Devilman story in animation, even if as an adaptation, it chose to do its own thing, but it does it very well.

Also yeah I'm not saying Anno wasn't inspired by Devilman to do Evangelion, I just don't think in the end the stories are anything alike and I didn't particularly like it.

Bro I did not get your notification, you should have quoted me. Sorry for not replying early.
Griffith Did Nothing Wrong

May 18, 2:04 AM
Why such a low note for such an acclaimed anime?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Pages (9) « First ... « 7 8 [9]