"Pretentious" is often used to describe a series they don't like

But I don't mind pretentious series :)

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jan 4, 2018 6:11 PM

Nov 2014
I only made it through 6 episodes and that was after several attempts but Sagrada reset is probably the most pretentious anime I've ever watched.
Forum Signature
Jan 4, 2018 6:24 PM

Oct 2012
Chimerared said:
I only made it through 6 episodes and that was after several attempts but Sagrada reset is probably the most pretentious anime I've ever watched.
Not really. The characters seemed emotionally detached (probably shitty voice actors) and the convoluted plot wasn't really well explained, but I wouldn't call it pretentious. I didn't really pretend to be anything besides just another one of those shows. It didn't dramatically build up plot points with shallow reveals or talk a lot about character philosophies. It didn't cite anyone. The characters didn't use big words or talk in an intentionally vague manner. On the contrary, there was an almost lack of drama.

In order for something to be pretentious, there has to be misrepresentation. It's not enough to just have a confusing plot or whatever.

My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 4, 2018 6:50 PM
Jan 2017
Psycho Pass to some extend.

While I was dissapointed by the show, there were enough cool and neat idea. The problem is that most of tge topic they tackle in this future dystopia/utopia place have been done before yet it acts like is the first and take itself way too damn serious. Which I would not mind if they did not have outrageous stuff like killing people by having them explode in a bloody mess. That not even mentioning how painfully flaw the system is and how it expect us to buy this, and don't even me get started on the conspiracy theory level stupid thst is reveal later.

It try to sound smart when in reality is sort of stupid.

That being said, is talking about lots of topic I saw before, but with exploding people which is fun and is creative enough. Is pretentious, but that doesn't make it horrible.
Jan 4, 2018 6:51 PM

Apr 2017
mekakakakkakakakcity actors was so stupid tbh

purposefully hard to follow and made me somehow feel more stupid than I already am
mal's raccoon

boop !
‎ ‎ ‎‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ hell yeah !
from the distant
year of

the
are after me !
Jan 4, 2018 6:51 PM

Mar 2016
Probably Ergo Proxy.
One of the shittiest shows I've watched.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Jan 5, 2018 6:59 AM

Sep 2017
Ghost in the shell innoncence and Kara no Kyoukai series are the definition of pretentious.
Jan 5, 2018 7:01 AM
Jul 2014
Kara no Kyoukai is the definition of pretentious, even though it's not a bad series and the 5th movie was enjoyable
Jan 6, 2018 12:52 AM

Jun 2016
Ergo Proxy comes to mind, but I'd like to rewatch it as it's been a while since I saw the show. Felt like it was throwing around a lot of concepts throughout the show, with most never having an effect on the show, but as I said, rewatch

Kara no Kyoukai is another one that I'd call pretentious despite the varying amounts in each film. I remember the quote "Sounds like something from a cheap novel" and wondered for hours if it was self-aware of how dumb its script is.

I hear a lot of people call Code Geass pretentious, but I prefer the term "stupid" to describe the series.

One that I think rarely gets mentioned: Blast of Tempest. What was at first a well-animated action show tried to make the most blatant comparisons to fucking Shakespeare! At least shows like Ergo Proxy had a sense of subtlety when trying to be more than it really is, but this is something Blast of Tempest lacks in nearly every episode in the 2nd half. It's still an enjoyable show for sure, but this is an easy case of 'shoulda stayed in your lane'.

And then you have the ones where the pretentious levels are so overbearing that they've been forgotten by most of the community. Oh, if only I could forget too. The Shadow Star Narutaru's and the Gilgamesh's of the world. These are the kind of shows that are so awful and offensive that I find them worse than shows like Seiren and the Berserk 2016/17 adaptations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 6, 2018 1:02 AM

Jul 2012
CrimsonLad said:
Pretty much every series I don't like.

Wow I must have missed the pretentiousness in the second Bleach movie
Jan 6, 2018 1:03 AM

Dec 2017
Yeah, Zoce_ is the most pretentious anime show that I have ever seen in my life. Damn, every episode is just pretentious.
Jan 6, 2018 1:44 AM
Jun 2015
Pretentious can only apply to agents not objects. An anime by definition cannot be pretentious because its not an agent. Only the author of the anime can be pretentious if the intent of the message is deliberate and not a form of unreliable narrator. The only way to find out if an anime is pretentious is to speak to the creator and ask them what themes they were trying to implement and what was their goal behind the anime. Evangelion has a hard on for bad psychobabble garbage from Freud and Jung but it doesn't mean the anime is pretentious because it mentions those author's ideas. You would have to ask the writers and the director about why they included that in the anime before coming to the right conclusion.

TLDR: Anime cannot be pretentious but the author can be pretentious.
Jan 6, 2018 1:51 AM

May 2017
Fuchsia said:
I don't care what anybody says, Mushishi is pretentious as fuck.

And what is it that it's pretending to be?
The only "message" the whole show has is that the mushi aren't evil and sometimes stuff happen, get on with it.
Jan 6, 2018 2:00 AM

May 2017
Tatami galaxy comes to my mind (the first few scenes), but it was meant to be pretentious cause the protagonist was pretentious.
So I guess the character was pretentious rather than the show.
Except that I haven't really seen any pretentious shows.
Except school days cause that shit was pretending to be a cute-school anime but turned out to be my nightmare fuel.
Jan 6, 2018 2:33 AM

Jul 2012
CrimsonLad said:
Lifeguard_wzrd said:

Wow I must have missed the pretentiousness in the second Bleach movie

Well, assuming your list is 100% legit, it doesn't appear that you've seen it. So in that sense you definitely missed it.

Enlighten me on Dragon Ball Z's pretentiousness then.
Jan 6, 2018 2:54 AM

Jul 2012
CrimsonLad said:
Lifeguard_wzrd said:

Enlighten me on Dragon Ball Z's pretentiousness then.

I dislike it therefore it's pretentious. That's the only reason this community ever needs.

In other words, my first post was a joke. I don't use "pretentious" as an argument for disliking anything ever.

That's pretty pretentious of you there.
Jan 6, 2018 11:59 AM
Jul 2018
I wonder, has someone mentioned Death Note yet? ^^"
The way they are using very simple symbols like an apple etc... so many times and giving you the vibes that there is something smart behind that, really got on my nerves here and there.

removed-userJan 6, 2018 1:42 PM
Jan 6, 2018 12:51 PM

Jan 2016
Most shows aren't pretentious. When someone calls a show pretentious, it's usually they either just didn't understand it (which to an anime fan automatically makes it pretentious) or the fanbase overblows what the show actually is. Remember that a fanbase acting like a show is more than it actually is is NOT the same as the show acting like more than it is.

Usually anything that's somewhat confusing gets called pretentious, because more people didn't get what happened and fans tend to look for some non existent deeper meaning.
"I'm gonna move it today! The mountain! The galaxy! Listen to my song!"
-Nekki Basara, Macross 7
Jan 6, 2018 12:57 PM

Dec 2014
Pretentious is a word that is misused and overused like the terms "overrated" and "underrated" to the point where it gets annoying.
Jan 6, 2018 1:39 PM

Apr 2017
Mushishi pretentious? I've seen everything now.

Death Note is kinda pretentious.
FeR__Jan 6, 2018 1:42 PM
Jan 6, 2018 1:44 PM
Feb 2014
Unironically Cowboy Bebop. Normies who think they can into anime always use this show as the gold standard as their only 1-5 anime seen. I don't think any anime is particularly pretentious though, just the people talking about it.
Jan 6, 2018 1:52 PM

Nov 2013
Glasslip.

limit limit limit limit....
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jan 6, 2018 2:00 PM
Oct 2016
Angel’s Egg. It’s got tons of meaning to dissect... if you care enough to. Which I do not. It is boring as f**k. And this is coming from someone who tends to like shows like that, like Lain.
Apr 8, 2022 6:43 PM
Jul 2018
Haruhi series, mash all the unlikable characters in one anime, non-chronological episodes, accept the unlikable titular abusive character as a fun thing to watch and need to watch 20+ episodes to expect the best part which is an almost 3-hour long movie which is barely memorable and think it all was fun (no it wasn't) is the peak of pretentiousness.
Apr 8, 2022 7:37 PM

Jan 2011
surprised Texhnolyze wasnt mentioned, imo it rules upon this thread, with its first episode with almost no dialogue an weird imagery instead of explaining wtf is going on? why even do that? to annoy you thats why, it spends most of its run by slowly explaining what is happening while constantly showing something new to try to confuse you, that being said its final 6 episodes are really memorable an it does have on the most amazing ending ive seen on any anime... though i guess this this anime couldnt contain itself an just one ep before the end they do show something that had been hinted on many eps ago only to not explain wtf is that or why does it look like that, i mean it kinda looks cool i guess

still i kinda liked the show though
Apr 8, 2022 9:13 PM

Oct 2021
pretentious is a word created by people who dont want to use their brain while watching an anime and get jealous of people who are able to do that.
Mar 29, 2:08 AM

Mar 2023
LOTGH
Aku no Hana
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Sonny Boy
The End of Evangelion
Mar 29, 2:19 AM

Dec 2022
Pretentious show and no mention of Mushoku Tensei and Steins;Gate?

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 29, 2:39 AM
Walpurgis

May 2023
Ergo Proxy is the very definition. I genuinely got second-hand embarrassment from it, what a mess.
Mar 29, 3:24 AM
Feb 2022
Revolutionary Karen Utena
Mawaru Penguidrum and basically everything Kunihiko Ikuhara had his hands on
Everything by Studio Ghibli and particularly by Miyazaki
Elfen Lied
School Days
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu etc.
Mar 29, 3:37 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Easy. Classroom of the Elite by a landslide. It's only elite in the pretentious department and completely devoid of actually being intelligent.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Mar 29, 6:32 AM
Apr 2021
I don’t consider shows pretentious

Mar 29, 6:47 AM

Nov 2023
Kino's Journey, Leans quite towards culture and geographical themes. Something thats directed to me but not the average anime watchers
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

82 by alshu »»
1 minute ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

61 by FanofAction »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 36 minutes ago

6 by alshu »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » How much do you consume from the otaku world?

castle2001 - Apr 22

29 by MichaelJackson »»
19 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

85 by LenRea »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.