Forum Settings
Forums

Seriously, why isn't the "you can judge anime objectively" meme/myth dead yet?

New
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2018 8:54 AM

May 2017
Brb said:
BaneofKermit said:

But the quality of animation is not quantifiable. That's why a single, uniform style of animation doesn't exist, because different people like different things. Suppose you have two pieces of art, one which is a simple red cube on a canvas and the other an elegant painting of a swan. There are people who will praise the swan for its beauty and those who will enamor over the cube because to them it symbolizes something.

Framerate is quantifiable (objectively) as well as recycling frames is. So is the amount of detail done and lots of miniscule things that make stuff better as a whole.

Again, that is subjective. There are styles of animation that heavily rely on background detail and high frames, and others which utilize intentionally sloppier movement and less detailed backgrounds (an example of the sloppier movement would be Trigger's animation style of unrealistic but comedic movement.) Neither are better because of these.
Jan 1, 2018 8:55 AM

Oct 2012
Brb said:
I sometimes hear requests about stuff like "Anime with good action". With that in mind, I can say that something like SAO "objectively" is better at it than something like Qualidea Code. That's how objectivity comes into play.
You can objectively say SAO has higher framerate than Qualidea Code (I've never seen the latter so I don't know whether that would be true), but you can't objectively say SAO is better than Qualidea Code. Those two statements are not the same.

As absurd as it might sound to you, maybe someone enjoys the action of MC walking in Clannad more than SAO.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 8:56 AM

Nov 2013
Mars of Destruction is objectively bad. So that's that.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 1, 2018 8:59 AM

May 2015
topazio said:
It's kinda like the deal with art. Once you fall for the "all art is subjective" manthra, every kind of criticism automatically loses its meaning. I mean, what is the use of criticism if everything is subjective? Yeah, you can use other people's criticism to found your own opinion or even look for points you would like in a work, but then entire lives dedicated to studying aesthetics, cinema and other art fields suddenly turns pointless because every jester with a keyboard can have an "opinion". Adopting this modern idea of subjectivism is basically throwing down the toilet all the history of criticism. Once everything is art, nothing is art anymore.

Some things are just objectively bad. However, that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to like them. Heck, sometimes I just need to watch or read something bad and turn my mind off. If it weren't for bad things we wouldn't be capable of understading good things. Of course, you can hardly find this kind of criticism in an online anime forum, but still, some objectivism is necessary if we aren't to lose sight of what's important.

Nope. Objectivity doesn't exist when it comes to entertainment.

Jan 1, 2018 9:02 AM

May 2017
Kittens-kun said:
topazio said:
It's kinda like the deal with art. Once you fall for the "all art is subjective" manthra, every kind of criticism automatically loses its meaning. I mean, what is the use of criticism if everything is subjective? Yeah, you can use other people's criticism to found your own opinion or even look for points you would like in a work, but then entire lives dedicated to studying aesthetics, cinema and other art fields suddenly turns pointless because every jester with a keyboard can have an "opinion". Adopting this modern idea of subjectivism is basically throwing down the toilet all the history of criticism. Once everything is art, nothing is art anymore.

Some things are just objectively bad. However, that doesn't mean people aren't allowed to like them. Heck, sometimes I just need to watch or read something bad and turn my mind off. If it weren't for bad things we wouldn't be capable of understading good things. Of course, you can hardly find this kind of criticism in an online anime forum, but still, some objectivism is necessary if we aren't to lose sight of what's important.

Is anime really only entertainment though? I would think that art constitutes some if not most of what anime is.
Jan 1, 2018 9:04 AM

May 2015
topazio said:
Kittens-kun said:

Uh huh, right. If that helps you sleep at night.

Well, the truth usually is pretty comforting to know and to think about.

Jan 1, 2018 9:05 AM

Oct 2012
topazio said:

It's the contrary. To say there is objectivity in art is to throw all of history down the drain, because you'd be essentially suggesting that merit in analysis is predicated upon who is closer to some objective truth. So in any instance of multiple critiques on the same work, you lose perspective of the humanistic aspect of it all, the ability to consider some topic from multiple perspectives and contexts, and all the history that caused the different perspectives. Instead, you suppose that there is only the victor, and all other perspectives are not meaningful. This is the opposite of empathizing with contrasting perspectives, which is the basis of the liberal arts and critical thinking.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 9:13 AM

Jan 2016
topazio said:

Criticism is for the most part discerning what makes an anime or even an artwork good or bad. That in itself is where the subjectivity of it lies. So, I wouldn't really say it loses its meaning. It has meaning to those reading and acknowledging(not particularly agreeing) said criticisms and the critic itself. I mean just because someone doesn't acknowledge some well reasoned out criticism, it doesn't erase the value of your criticism to the other people and you, yourself. If everything is subjective it doesn't really mean "everything" is art. It means that "everything" is art only for other people who may believe that's the case.

Jan 1, 2018 9:14 AM

May 2015
OBJECTIVITY DOESN'T EXIST IN ENTERTAINMENT. It's that simple guys.

Jan 1, 2018 9:15 AM

Mar 2017
Paradigmatic said:

Uhhhh... Being critical =/= being objective at least if it comes to parsing why you like and dislike a specific anime.

nbyung09 said:

I actually don't think trying to be critical at entertainment or art is a good idea.

I never equated objective with being critical. I turn to the Oxford dictionary for how I define critical:

Expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art.

Maybe you could call it being perceptive, knowledgeable even, instead of critical if the word carries a more negative connotation for you.

I walk the thin line between casuals and critics. The line is called dialogue. I love talking about the things I love. I love articulating why I love them. Saying "I love it because I just do, it's all subjective anyway" is such a copout. It's lazy. It's disrespectful to the things you love. It deprives us of dialogue.

nbyung09 said:

[...] but what you can achieve by being critical from watching anime, which is primarily entertainment and art, is questionable.

Allow me to give you an example:

The love story sequence of Disney Pixar's UP.

You could say "This is the greatest love story ever told" or you could apply what you know into dissecting the scenes. I'm not saying you should watch motion pictures with intent to dissect them instead of enjoying them. I never even notice this the first time I watched and they are among the more basic repertoire of tools available to a filmmaker.

Say this:

Notice the bright wide open space with a myriad of colors in contrast to the next scene:

Here, they are framed in a tight, claustrophobic space with dull colors.

Or how this two scenes bookend each other beautifully. It's the same church with different lighting and different focus. The first one is dominated by the couple which occupy the center of the shot. The second is just the guy taking up as little of the space of the frame available, with the empty church hulking over him, dominating the frame.

Knowing it now has helped me appreciate UP even more. I could point out the little details that makes me love the film's introductory sequence instead of just spouting generic platitudes.

nbyung09 said:

A lot of people cannot control their critical ability and turn watching anime into a "critical thinking exercise", which is sad.

That is just ridiculous. You give audience intellect a lot less credit than they deserve. You see the irony in that? That's the attitude of people who spout things like "X objectively better than Y <insert undertones of him/her being better for liking X instead of you liking Y>." Are you sure you're really in Team Subjective?
EankiJan 1, 2018 9:22 AM
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 1, 2018 9:20 AM

Jan 2016
@le_halfhand_easy I actually completely agree with that sentiment. Although, that actually celebrates the subjectivity of this medium. Multiple perspectives and opinions, an exchange of ideas is only really possible because it is entirely subjective. And there's nothing wrong with it. In fact that makes it beautiful.
Jan 1, 2018 9:22 AM

Feb 2010
Well, it just provides a counterposition to the people who never have any arguments or reasons except 'everything is subjective hurr durr'.

Until people realize that subjectivity/objectivity is a spectrum and not a black white thing I do believe the objectivists are closer to how it actually works than the people who don't want to discuss anything because it's all 100% subjective anyway so nothing anyone says could mean anything for anyone else that they could understand.

Common standards, criteria and approaches trying to be as inter-subjective as possible are what allow for discussion, argumentation and communication in general, while the lazy and boring people who just repeat 'muh subjectivity' any time someone challenges their views must think of conversations like this as a complete waste of time that could never lead to anything. I always wonder why these people are on the forums. Not to discuss things because muh subjectivity doesn't allow for that to be possible in any meaningful way.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 1, 2018 9:24 AM

May 2015
@le_halfhand_easy Saying you like something just because you like it is perfectly fine. Nobody is required to explain why they like something in order to like it. Saying everything is subjective is also fine because that's the truth.

Jan 1, 2018 9:29 AM

Mar 2017
Kittens-kun said:
@le_halfhand_easy Saying you like something just because you like it is perfectly fine. Nobody is required to explain why they like something in order to like it.

I could but that doesn't generate discussion and interest. It's dull. I love talking about the things I love and I rarely get the chance to do so. Different strokes, different blokes.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jan 1, 2018 9:30 AM

Jan 2016
@Pullman Oh yeah, those people are the worst too, I agree. Although, I wouldn't cling to an imagined objectivity to actually counter those people, myself. Ignoring these people seems the most effective since they don't even think discussions are worthwhile tbh lol.
Jan 1, 2018 9:32 AM

Feb 2015
make a concentration camp for those who believe that anime can be judge objectively, and at least it'll be dead, for a time being at least.
Jan 1, 2018 9:35 AM

Feb 2010
Paradigmatic said:
@Pullman Oh yeah, those people are the worst too, I agree. Although, I wouldn't cling to an imagined objectivity to actually counter those people, myself. Ignoring these people seems the most effective since they don't even think discussions are worthwhile tbh lol.

Yeah ofc but I think as long as people see it as a black/white thing they will tend to take up the more extreme positions, compared to seeing it as a spectrum where you have a lot of middle ground and different degrees of subjectivitx and inter-subjectivity. And the hardcore subjectivists kinda put out that vibe where you're either with them or you believe in objectivity, polarizing everyone. As soon as you disagree that everything is 100% subjective and no opinion can ever be criticzed because muh subjectivity, they'll treat you as an objectivist. So in some cases that's what people become, I guess.
AlcoholicideJan 1, 2018 9:40 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 1, 2018 9:40 AM
Jul 2018
Because memes never die...literally, just look at Jojo.

I find there to be two problems with people who try to judge anime objectively:

1) The only way to judge objectively is to have a list of criteria that applies to all anime
2) Most of the time, people don't judge objectively, using terms like, "interesting", "pacing", which are all subjective.

Jun 2015
I mean, if you didn't think there were universal standards then you're the joke honestly.

Everything has flaws, it's up to individuals to ignore the flaws based on their preferences.
That's not the same as saying everything is subjective.

Jan 2016
@topazio When all things are said and done, "everything is subjective in art" is the rule. It's actually up to you how to deal with that. Hell, you can always find some opinions stupid anyways. It's just you who becomes the ultimate arbiter of quality and it's just kind of important you don't confuse it with objectivity, I guess.

@code Still, the question remains are those universal standards really "objective"? I mean there's nothing wrong with having standards. I have one. But, it's one thing to have one and it's another thing to claim that one standard is the objective standard(or at least close to it)
ethotJan 1, 2018 9:45 AM
Jan 1, 2018 9:42 AM

Oct 2012
Something that is objectively wrong is not meaningful. For example, if we say "trees are animals", or "people can survive without nutrients", or something grammatically incorrect like "God is one, and one is God, but not in definite indefinite", all these are manifestly nonsense. Yet, something that is subjectively unintuitive, but not exactly wrong, can still make sense, or we can believe in some real circumstance that it would still make sense. For example, "the tree is short" can be considered from an airplane, or "The Grave of the Fireflies was boring" can be considered from... well, someone who thinks the movie was boring. It may be hard to imagine if you loved the movie, but it would not be impossible to believe. However, you might feel that such a person would be objectively wrong, that Grave of the Fireflies is objectively not boring, that it is objectively a great movie.

Here are the top reviews of the new Star Wars movie. Suppose an objective perspective about art exists, then there is one set of opinions about the Star Wars movie that is correct, at the expense of all other opinions. It may even be questionable whether any of these reviews count as opinions.

Suppose that one of the reviewers got it completely right. Then everyone who disagrees with him is wrong and not meaningful. By that, I mean when you read the other reviews that disagree with the right review, it should sound like complete gibberish, and you can't even make out what they could possibly mean, like "that black wall is white". If you have an inkling of doubt at this point, it just means that you are not educated enough to receive the rightness of the review.

Suppose, however, that none of the reviewers got it completely right. Then how do we know which set of opinions are the "right" opinions? Do we fall asleep, and ask God in our dreams? Where does this set of "truth" come from? If we poll the world population, is the most popular opinion true? If it is, then if everyone who knew about the Mona Lisa died, then is the Mona Lisa objectively worthless? But wait, it can't be objectively worthless at some time if it is highly regarded, objectively, now. Therefore, it can't be a popularity contest, not even if it was a popularity contest among the educated (the same problem would occur).

What if it was the greatest authority -- the literary critic who has won the most awards? His opinion is the objectively right one! And what if he died? Then the second most award winning critic is right! But what if they disagreed? It can't be both, so this is incorrect.

Therefore, we have an unsolvable problem. If you believe in an objective value in art in some Randian way, then either

1) You believe it is possible to have some kind of metaphysical, spiritual access to some other word where some objective fact exists about values (like Plato's Forms, or Christianity).

2) You believe it is possible to conduct scientific studies to reveal experiential facts, likely by neuroscience, wherein there must be a set of truths that everyone must believe in, and that values are equivalent to biology behind thought processes (like Sam Harris). If we uncover, for example, that childhood trauma defines how a person enjoys art, then it shall be objectively true that the art that activates the most trauma must be the greatest work.

3) You hold an irrelevant position that the truth is out there, but since no one can ever know of it, it doesn't answer any questions whatsoever. Either there is another more practical answer or knowledge on the greatness of art is impossible and we are just brain dead when we consume art.

But if this philosophical exercise doesn't do it for you, then see if you can even devise a potential scientific experiment in which we could determine an "aesthetic" molecule or particle, or use some kind of instrument like a scale or binoculars to determine artistic value?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 9:47 AM

Jul 2017

Shoegum said:
nbyung09 said:

what is different, unique or well-crafted are all subjective.

Not at all. We can see that there is an inherent trend for anime to be based around high-schools. We having things called "cliches" which can objectively determine which things are most similar and not unique. Similarly, it can be objectively determined which anime have the most fluid, pleasing animation, and which narratives have the best qualities. To deny this is to accept that randomness = art.

And I suppose you would rather have all anime being the same and poorly-made? Someone who dislikes these qualities is irrational. The human experience ultimately favours the qualities of being well-crafted and being unique, because this is stimulating. Although people may differ somewhat in terms of taste, there is no denying the commonality in what is considered favourable.

1. Something becomes cliche only when you are tired of it. It's not an objective standard. = =

2. Numbers are facts, but whether the numbers are important is not. Katsucats has explained a lot about the animation part above you can check it out.

3. What is the standard of being the same? Why anime is similar to its predecessor is equal to poorly-made? You didn't explain any of this, but just keep calling people who don't believe these ideas are "irrational".

4. "The human experience ultimately favours the qualities of being well-crafted and being unique" Again, what's well-craft and what's unique are all subjective. And interpretation is subjective too. What is not unique to you maybe unique to the others because they may see more things behind an anime than you, and sometimes you think something is not well-craft, but actually it's just you fail to understand the writer's feeling because of different in cultural background and life experience.

There is no correct interpretation of anime, there is no measurement of uniqueness, and after all whether something is unique is important is still in debate.

5. The different in taste in people is bigger than you ever imagine. And I can tell you "Liking new things" is not a commonality, it really depends on "What anime is to you". Some people, including me, like anime to be predictable. I just want a safe time with cute anime girls every night, that's what exactly anime is to me. I don't need plot, I don't need character development, overarching theme. It's entirely subjective. I am not immature enough to think people who looking for originality in every anime is irrational because they are just different to me. Anime means different things to everyone and that's why there are a lot of genre. And this is affected by social value, religions, education and the working environment. Don't think the whole world live the same way as you.
Jan 1, 2018 9:57 AM

Oct 2012
Pullman said:
Well, it just provides a counterposition to the people who never have any arguments or reasons except 'everything is subjective hurr durr'.
That may be true in some discussions, but it's a straw man in this one since it's not what anyone is saying.

Pullman said:
Until people realize that subjectivity/objectivity is a spectrum and not a black white thing
Actually, it is a binary proposition -- either it's subjective or objective. And in this case it is 100% subjective.

Pullman said:
I do believe the objectivists are closer to how it actually works than the people who don't want to discuss anything because it's all 100% subjective anyway so nothing anyone says could mean anything for anyone else that they could understand.
We are discussing it, and people say subjective things all the time and still make sense, so claiming that subjectivity is nonsense is frankly a dumb position.

Pullman said:
Common standards, criteria and approaches trying to be as inter-subjective as possible are what allow for discussion, argumentation and communication in general,
Language is the common criteria in this case. Science does not measure value, so this suggestion implies you misunderstand what science purports to do. Fortunately, we don't need arbitrary criteria to be able to relate to the experiences of others, besides the understanding of language.

Pullman said:
while the lazy and boring people who just repeat 'muh subjectivity' any time someone challenges their views must think of conversations like this as a complete waste of time that could never lead to anything. I always wonder why these people are on the forums. Not to discuss things because muh subjectivity doesn't allow for that to be possible in any meaningful way.
I wonder why you are on the forums.

topazio said:
@katsucats

Not exactly. Of course each person will have a different view on art, but I was thinking of things that can be argued to possess or not value to things that are objectively bad. Nowadays we have an elitist current in art that likes to apply meaning to meaningless things, like a messy bed or white plaques of different sizes hung up on walls. Just like it is easy for any layman to tell that The Starry Night has more value than those kind of "art", by analyzing all the aspects of an anime (or any narrative work) we can say that there are some that are objectively better than others. The only things that can be argued to be completely subjective are emotional responses to it.
Your position is especially ironic since the Royal Academy, once the greatest authority in art, considered great art to be models of the real (i.e. what we call "realism"). At one point in history, avant garde and modernist movements such as impressionism were universally despised as fake art. Works like the Starry Night were considered failures at the time. People considered them to "apply meaning to meaningless things". It took some artist to exploit some technicality in a museum contest by submitting a toilet to spark the question, "What is art?" to the general audience. Your position against the "elitists" are antithetical to what made The Starry Night famous.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 10:01 AM

Jan 2016
@topazio The fact still exists that your standards will ultimately differ from other people's standards. Whether be in anime or buildings. Although just as you are convinced of the rightness of your claims, so does the other people who differs from you. I mean that's a kind of an ironclad rule. Does that mean you should just accept the veracity of the claims of the people who differ from you? NO. But know that there are other perspective out there and there are people who also is convinced in the rightness of their claims. Sure you can convince each other but still that fact alone is enough to make the statement" everything in art is subjective" actually a perceivable truth.
Jan 1, 2018 10:06 AM

Oct 2012
Shoegum said:
katsucats said:
These are not what is scientifically measurable. Science measures what could be empirically sensed. Science measures the quantifiable, not the quality.
Yes, these can be determined.
Difference/uniqueness: We already determine them by using cliches. Something that is cliched contains similar themes to many other works of art. This is undeniable: many anime are set in high-schools. Therefore, something which is not set in a high-school is inherently different.
A cliche is a linguistic, analytical, symbolic concept that cannot be measured by science. There is not a scientific instrument that can determine what is a cliche and what is not, or measure on some intersubjectively verifiable scale of cliche-ness.

Shoegum said:
Interesting: A blank wall is less interesting than watching an action anime, because a lack of movement, lack of a narrative and lack of any meaning. Therefore, there is such a thing as objectively interesting.

Well-crafted A child with no experience at writing will objectively write worse stories than Shakespeare. Suggesting that quality cannot be defined would be to suggest that Shakespeare and a random child could produce equal works of ficiton.
Likewise, if someone were to suggest that the child's writing was more interesting and better crafted, you have literally no rebuttal besides how Shakespeare's works relate to the subjective human experience.

Shoegum said:
Quality is defined what can be quantifiable, by the substance behind it. Meaning can be quantified (ie. "rabbit bubblegum wet seven" cannot be understood, while "Nothing comes from nothing." can)
That's not a quantification. You don't know how science works.

Shoegum said:
Great works are great because of their historical value and what they added to our collective understanding given the historical context. They are great because a lot of people agree about their importance.However, the fact that a lot of people agree does not make something quantifiable.
No, I agree. The basis for objectively good is never necessarily in the consensus view. However, we must use common sense and suggest that there is substance behind each great work which has attracted so many people. Something is not great because of the view of other people, but because there is substance behind it which has attracted people to it.
What is the source of this metaphysical substance?

Shoegum said:
There is no one number to specify the exact value of something's greatness in the way that there is one number to specify the temperature of a room at any given time, not even if we had perfect knowledge on people's thought processes.
OK, well disregarding the fact that the average temperature of a room can generally be recorded, you are correct in saying that greatness cannot be determined numerically. However, just because cannot be measured numerically does not mean that there is not objective differences. For example, King Lear is sadder than Much Ado About Nothing, which is objectively true but it cannot be quantified how much sadder it is. This is the same with greatness.
Sadness is an individual's own experience, not a property of the physical work. Sadness cannot be derived without interpretation.

Shoegum said:
That's because thought it inherently filtered through experience, which is a consequence of all of a person's past experiences, his environment and genetic makeup. None of this is a property of the anime.
Taste does have an impact, but just because taste exists this does not negate the inherent value of some works.
If works could be objectively rated, then the impact of taste is irrelevant, for the same reason that taste is irrelevant to the average temperature in a room.

Shoegum said:
It is an objective truth that Ulysses has more interesting qualities than the Harry Potter series, and people who think otherwise are irrational, because this is a part of the human experience. If taste was the only thing determining the quality of art, then there would be little point in trying to create great works of art, because it could never be quantified. However, common sense tells us that it can be quantified.
Besides insisting on your own opinions, what evidence do you have that Ulysses is more interesting than Harry Potter? Is it the prestige of anonymous historical experts that determine this, or some metaphysical substance only accessible to you from God?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 10:10 AM

Jul 2017
le_halfhand_easy said:
Are you sure you're really in Team Subjective?

I'm in Team Subjective, but I'm not in Team Critical. XD
If you are using critical thinking to appreciate anime then that's good, I appreciate the way you demonstrate audience intellect. I have nothing against people appreciating anime.
And Sorry for the ambiguity and my misunderstanding towards the term "critical thinking"
I used to think it is only about "finding inconsistency to attack", more debate type of critical thinking.
"Critical thinking exercise" is directed to people who use critical thinking to "kill fun", like taking something way too serious than they should.

Jan 1, 2018 10:10 AM

Nov 2009
With the age of CG coming animation frame by frame won't be relevant anymore.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Jan 1, 2018 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
You could probably be more objective than others to a certain degree, but that's about it.

Crying doesn't mean you're weak.
Enduring doesn't mean you're strong.
Jan 1, 2018 10:16 AM
Aug 2016
I don't know and I ask myself that question every day.
Jan 1, 2018 10:22 AM

Oct 2012
nbyung09 said:
"Critical thinking exercise" is directed to people who use critical thinking to "kill fun", like taking something way too serious than they should.
So... when I watch some mindless summer blockbuster in the theaters, it's not like I have to say "brain ON" then flip a switch behind my head to notice plot inconsistencies. My brain is always on. That's how I got to the theaters without running into a car. If anything, I have to turn my brain off, which decreases the quality of my experience, since I would much rather watch something that's intellectually engaging along with having visceral action scenes. The idea that critical thinking is necessarily some superfluous exercise on top of watching and enjoying some media is troublesome -- I can't wrap my head around it. If you're watching a show, and shit just doesn't make sense. Cars are driving backwards. MC rips off his clothes and goes full gay. A cow randomly appears in the middle of a scene, and the MC fights the main villain, and then shakes his hand, and then acts like he's outraged when the villain kills his girlfriend, that he just let off...

And then you go home and rate it 10/10 for enjoyment because you couldn't see anything wrong with it. I just don't even get how that's possible.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 10:26 AM

Jan 2016
@topazio Even in a profound analysis, there will ultimately be a difference in perspectives. I mean, I don't think your idea, to use your example, of what constitutes a falter in a narrative is actually the "objective" one. I mean you can agree to a consensus for a definitive idea for what constitutes a falter in a narrative but it doesn't really erase the inherent subjectivity of it.

Jan 1, 2018 10:28 AM

Jun 2015
Paradigmatic said:
@code Still, the question remains are those universal standards really "objective"? I mean there's nothing wrong with having standards. I have one. But, it's one thing to have one and it's another thing to claim that one standard is the objective standard(or at least close to it)
A problem may be how you define objectivity.

katsucats said:
Suppose an objective perspective about art exists, then there is one set of opinions about the Star Wars movie that is correct, at the expense of all other opinions.
lol

Jan 1, 2018 10:28 AM

Nov 2009
topazio said:
@katsucats

Yeah, what you said only works to show how the highest autorithies in art, precisely the ones who glorifies extreme subjectivism in art nowadays, never quite knew exactly what they were doing.

@Paradigmatic

It is a perceivable truth just because it is what actually happens. I mean, everybody is giving their opinion out loud all the time, a lot without even knowing that much what they are talking about. This doesn't mean objectivism can't exist in a more profound analysis. A work with a lot of falters in its narrative will definitely be worse in this element than a work with less falters within its narrative; this doesn't mean people can't get entertainment from the first one, but there's no "subjectivism" that can change the fact that it has worse elements than the second one. I don't think what I am saying is that jarring or anything.

In order to achieve objectivity, a universal standard/criteria one must be achieved. Not everyone necessarily think just because a narrative falter means it bad. I found Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei to be bad because it's repetitive but that doesn't mean everyone think it's a bad anime just because it's repetitive. Everyone want a good quality anime but what makes a good quality anime? Of course you would said a good anime consists of good story, characters, narrative etc but what really make a good story,characters or narrative? Everyone have different definition/criteria on it. Not everyone think no character development means the character is bad.

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Jan 1, 2018 10:29 AM

Oct 2012
topazio said:
@katsucats

Yeah, what you said only works to show how the highest autorithies in art, precisely the ones who glorifies extreme subjectivism in art nowadays, never quite knew exactly what they were doing.
But the Royal Academy thought that the quality of art was objective. Impressionists like Van Gogh who painted The Starry Night were the ones depicting subjectivity. They were the ones finding new ways to interpret art. You're the one trying insert some objective authority in art, so Van Gogh was a bad example.

To be honest, I don't even know what you mean by "glorifies extreme subjectivism". What is extreme subjectivism? Something is either subjective or it is not. There is no extreme. And what is there to glorify? We are not saying, here, that the subjective should be celebrated. We are saying that it is. I don't have to glorify the truth to point out the truth. The fact of the matter is that The Starry Night was not valued until far after it was made, so if we believe in the authority at the time, maybe it was completely worthless trash?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 10:36 AM

Oct 2012
Common sense is the most fairly distributed thing in the world, for each one thinks he is so well-endowed with it that even those who are hardest to satisfy in all other matters are not in the habit of desiring more of it than they already have.
--Rene Descartes

Translation: You better come up with a better defense than "it's common sense!"
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 1, 2018 10:55 AM

Nov 2009
topazio said:
@katsucats

Van Gogh was still trying to picture beauty in his own way, and that made him special. Comparing him to Duchamp, who stated he wanted to "destroy" the very concept of art (or something in this manner, I don't remember his exactly words) and used a toilet to demonstrate his views, is pushing it a lot.

"What is extreme subjectivism?"

Subjectivism, I give it to you, would be what Van Gogh did.
Extreme subjectivism is a hyperbole term I coined, and would relate to things like considering a glass of water being a tree because I say it is a tree. Yeah, that happened, and is currently being displayed on a museum. Go figure.

@Vyzass

"Not everyone necessarily think just because a narrative falter means it bad"

That was exactly what I said.
Just because something is bad it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

And I think there are criteria by which you can consider something to be good or bad. When I said falter in narratives, for example, I was thinking of plot holes. I don't think anyone would defend a plot hole in a work. Maybe deny it to exist, but never defend its existence. This doesn't mean the WHOLE work will be bad, but it does mean that it has elements to it that are bad and can be accurately criticized.

When I said bad, I also mean in term of quality too, not just enjoyment. Plot hole, I think I can agree on that but the subjectivity come to what degree plot hole downgrade the quality of the show. To some people, the plot hole really ruin the entire quality of the show but to others, while acknowledge the existence of the plot hole think it doesn't ruin the overall quality of the show.

Zapredon said:

Totally agree!

Jan 1, 2018 10:55 AM

Jan 2016
@topazio What constitutes an "obvious" plot hole? Also, I don't think having a plot hole is in itself a narrative fault. For example,the use of time travel would always be full of plot holes for some people, but I would argue used it well to deliver a rich narrative experience regardless of said plot holes(It becomes unimportant in the grand scheme of things, in my perspective) i.e, Steins; Gate. Regardless if you agree or disagree with either me or the people who thinks that time travel is inherently plot hole-y, the fact that there has been a difference in perspectives makes it less and less likely that there's an objective way of discerning art.
ethotJan 1, 2018 10:59 AM
Jan 1, 2018 10:59 AM

Jun 2011
Objective parts of a hentai review go over kinks and technical aspects. Subjective parts say whether they thought it was done well.

An example of objective is stating historical facts about an anime. Subjective, whether you liked the character design. Objective, what happened in the Anime. Subjective, your opinion about the plot. Objective: using measurements of kill count or how many times they reached an objective to determine power of a character. Subjective using what the character sounds like and says about themselves to determine power of a character.

Objective: using anime's influence on the medium as reason why the anime is good or innovative. Subjective: using your feelings to determine the same thing.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Jan 1, 2018 11:01 AM

Jul 2015
*sigh* Why, oh why, does it always have to all or nothing. The universe doesn't work like that, man. Its a spectrum, and the only thing that has changed over this past few decades is that academics have come to the conclusion that we are much closer to the subjective side of the spectrum that we have previously thought.
Jan 1, 2018 11:01 AM

Mar 2014
All forms of media are subjected to some form of objectivity. It's why things become "classics" like Tolstoy and Vonnegut. Obviously you can dislike their works for other reasons such as not enjoying the writing style (similar to not liking the art or animation of an anime), but they are classics for a reason.
Jan 1, 2018 11:02 AM

Sep 2016
I see there's already a sparkling discussion in here about this topic, but I want to give my 2 cents anyways.
I personally believe it's impossible to be completely objective, but it's also impossible to be completely subjective. Both objectivity and subjectivity come into play when one's judging a piece of work.

Without subjectivity, there is no opinion. You're not expressing an opinion, you're basically just describing whatever it is that you're talking about. That is not a bad thing, but it's not an opinion.
Without objectivity, your opinion has no weight. A blank sheet of paper can't possibly be as good as, say, one of Da Vinci's paintings. It just clearly can't. Judging these two without considering the artists' skill behind them makes your opinion invalid because you're simply not being fair to the painting in which much more effort was put.

When judging something, I think one should consider his personal thoughts about that something AND all the work, skill, thought and technique behind it. Comparing this something with other similar pieces of work and seeing which one is best in certain aspects also helps you develop a solid opinion about it.
Jan 1, 2018 11:04 AM

Jul 2017
topazio said:

That was exactly what I said.
Just because something is bad it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.
And I think there are criteria by which you can consider something to be good or bad.

If the purpose of the anime is to entertain, and you enjoy the anime, then that anime is good or bad?
you're right it really depends on criteria. But criteria is subjective, interpretation is too.
If plot hole exists, they exists. But is plot hole negligible? It depends.

Shoegum said:

5. You are totally entitled to that taste, I won't take that away from you. But that doesn't mean that your taste is good. You can't proclaim that those cute girls anime are better than the more interesting, unique, unpredictable, well-crafted anime of the medium. You are allowed to like things, but they are not good because you like them.

I can't proclaim cute girls anime are better than the more interesting, unique, unpredictable, well-crafted anime of the medium.
Then why can you proclaim unique and unpredictable are better than cuter anime? Why your taste is "the commonality of human nature"?
Being confident in your belief is a good thing, but you seems a bit too arbitrary at this point.

All in all you think something is better because you like them, that's subjective and simple.

When you take part in the interpretation and determination of criteria, you are judging anime subjectively. That's just fact, I seriously still don't know why isn't the "you can judge anime objectively" meme/myth dead yet, but I guess I can't wake up people who is pretending to be asleep.

I surrendered, I am done with this topic... Dont @ me anymore...

Jan 1, 2018 11:10 AM

Jul 2017
AnimeAdamOP said:
All forms of media are subjected to some form of objectivity. It's why things become "classics" like Tolstoy and Vonnegut. Obviously you can dislike their works for other reasons such as not enjoying the writing style (similar to not liking the art or animation of an anime), but they are classics for a reason.

Classics are pieces that able to survive repeated examine by a lot of different people through their own subjective interpretation and standard...
It's more like a question of whether "majority's subjective = objective".
Jan 1, 2018 11:13 AM

Jul 2017
Shoegum said:
Analysis, like criticism, is based upon subjective responses to objective truths.

Yup, that's what we are talking about all along. I'm so glad you finally understand it.
Jan 1, 2018 11:18 AM

Jan 2016
Shoegum said:
katsucats said:
It's the contrary. To say there is objectivity in art is to throw all of history down the drain, because you'd be essentially suggesting that merit in analysis is predicated upon who is closer to some objective truth. So in any instance of multiple critiques on the same work, you lose perspective of the humanistic aspect of it all, the ability to consider some topic from multiple perspectives and contexts, and all the history that caused the different perspectives. Instead, you suppose that there is only the victor, and all other perspectives are not meaningful. This is the opposite of empathizing with contrasting perspectives, which is the basis of the liberal arts and critical thinking.

There is no one objective truth behind any piece of work, there are many truths. There are multiple meanings when analysing any work, and sometimes these meanings can be contrasting. However, to suggest that all analysis is subjective would be suggesting that any analysis can be valid, which is not the case. Analysis, like criticism, is based upon subjective responses to objective truths.

This begs the question, who ultimately judges the validity of an analysis supposing that analysis isn't subjective? Even here the difference in perspectives(well reasoned or not) will ultimately rear its head.
Jan 1, 2018 11:27 AM

Dec 2017
never heard anyone who said that. not even in discord. where did hear that?
Jan 1, 2018 11:30 AM

Jan 2016
Zoce_ said:
never heard anyone who said that. not even in discord. where did hear that?

>thread have 100+ replies in the last 5 hours
>clearly a lively discussion
>"never heard anyone who says that"

Please.
Jan 1, 2018 11:34 AM
Sep 2017
This really depends on what you mean by "judging." I know that seems a bit semantic and frustratingly benign, but judgment of art is varied almost by nature and how we judge can change the perspective with which we are evaluating art.

For instance, I don't think it's negotiable to disagree that Shakespeare is the beginning of modern English and for that reason is the most influential English writer for both theater and the modern era. Further, the volume of Shakespeare scholarship, much like Dante scholarship, and how much it eclipses other authors is testimony to his current unassailable influence. But if the question is whether we like Shakespeare, Dante, or Joyce, the question becomes a question of taste, which the Romans fleshed out long ago.

In anime, it would be a rather stupendous claim that Neon Genesis Evangelion didn't have any lasting influence whatsoever, and sort of industry and judgment of Eva's lasting influence in how we understand and interact with anime is much easier to discern as opposed to making a sort of nebulous claim that Evangelion is universally good.
Jan 1, 2018 11:36 AM

Aug 2017
Starting 2018 with lots of expired salt. Tasty.
Jan 1, 2018 11:41 AM

Jan 2016
Shoegum said:
Paradigmatic said:

This begs the question, who ultimately judges the validity of an analysis supposing that analysis isn't subjective? Even here the difference in perspectives(well reasoned or not) will ultimately rear its head.

The only invalid responses are illogical ones, or one not based on truth. Most other responses will be at least partially valid.

I mean of course if what you mean about basing it on the truth is that it still is grounded by the show being parsed but even then there would ultimately be a difference in perspectives. For example, Subaru's character in Re: Zero. I argue that all of the reasons why people hate him are still in line with how he is characterized and that's why I like him and the show because of that consistent narrative beat. Pretty sure some people would think I'm making an invalid statement here. But for me, they're the ones being illogical. See, where I'm getting at?

@topazio better read my response above here. I think this applies to what you're saying about making sense in the narrative and even then there will ultimately be a difference in perspectives.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

68 by ryzxgum »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

23 by EpicO4 »»
14 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 1 hour ago

5 by perseii »»
15 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

50 by IrrelevantGuy »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

42 by Pages_Pages »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.