Forum Settings
Forums

Boredom is a sign that you're watching a bad show

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Jan 1, 2018 4:45 AM

Before you go nuts and lynch me in the comments hear me out first. I mean the main reason you get bored at a show is because it failed to get you invested in it. If that's not a reason to call something a bad show, I don't know what is. No matter how you recognize what it's trying to do or at least how many people say something is great or is a classic as long as you aren't still invested in it, you can't really call it anything but bad, isn't it? I mean who calls stuff that don't catch their attention good? >.>

I do think "being bored" is a fair criticism to a show. Well, this is just something to think about anyways too. What do y'all think?
Modified by ethot, Jan 1, 2018 4:49 AM

Jan 1, 2018 4:49 AM

So because i was bored by FMAB, does that mean its a bad show ? yeah i agree.

Jan 1, 2018 4:51 AM

thats tru, but every person has different standars. i personally get extremely bored with historical and mecha animeys. other ppl seem to enjoy these. i am a fun of dementia/psychological shows but other ppl seem to dislike them. so calling a show generally bad based only on ur standards doesnt mean much

Jan 1, 2018 4:52 AM

I don't have anything to think except that I second everything you said.
𝑢𝒉, π‘ͺπ’‰π’‚π’“π’π’Šπ’†

Jan 1, 2018 4:54 AM

dennyfftl said:
thats tru, but every person has different standars. i personally get extremely bored with historical and mecha animeys. other ppl seem to enjoy these. i am a fun of dementia/psychological shows but other ppl seem to dislike them. so calling a show generally bad based only on ur standards doesnt mean much

It means a whole lot because it came from your own standards, I would argue. I see no worth in trying to cater to anything outside that.

Jan 1, 2018 4:56 AM

I mean yeah, I pretty much agree. Being bored by something is a fair reason to dislike a show, since they’re designed to entertain you. But it’s also fair if others find it entertaining, different strokes for different folks after all.

Jan 1, 2018 4:57 AM

Yep
Anime is supposed to be enjoyable

Jan 1, 2018 5:00 AM

I beg to disagree. I got bored watching Spirited Away but I can totally see why it's critically acclaimed and a ton of effort invested in its production.
Enjoyment isn't everything.

Jan 1, 2018 5:02 AM

I get bored because of slow pacing but that doesn't make a show bad. An example would be Steins;Gate with a slow start. The first half is boring to me (at least some episodes). But I think if the show is boring overall not only for a few episodes (Gintama also have boring episodes), then yes, it's bad.
AmMar-Sama said:
B-but.. no! You CAN'T! Serial Experiments Lain and Grave of the Fireflies are great shows even thought I was bored to death by them, because they are full of profound meanings and and say deep things about LIFE.

MyKamiList said:
I beg to disagree. I got bored watching Spirited Away but I can totally see why it's critically acclaimed and a ton of effort invested in its production.

Got bored with Ghibli movies mentioned too. But yes, they're not bad.

Jan 1, 2018 5:03 AM

AmMar-Sama said:
B-but.. no! You CAN'T! Serial Experiments Lain and Grave of the Fireflies are great shows even thought I was bored to death by them, because they are full of profound meanings and and say deep things about LIFE.

MyKamiList said:

Still, the fact remains that those supposed good things about it didn't hold your attention(otherwise you wouldn't say you were bored). I think it's fine to say it's bad just for that reason alone.

Jan 1, 2018 5:03 AM

In the first place, boredom is something subjective. 2001 Space Odyssey is well-received by many sci fi/movie fans, but the other side of it's criticism is that they got bored with it.

And like I said, I get bored with 2 hour length movies unless I watch it in a Cinema, so does it mean everything I watched at home is bad? Nah. It's a possible sign, but objectivity is vague anyway.
Ero Pattishie, how was the night?
Did you like the sister sandwich for dinner?
Or perhaps it was too sweet,
that you want more vanilla in the morning.
I'll put extra cream just for you.
Now it eat well, we still have more desserts.

Jan 1, 2018 5:07 AM

This logic is flawed because it could depend on your mood if the show gets you invested or not. If my dog just died, my waifu broke up with me, I'm neck deep in debt, and overall deperessed, and I try to power through Angel Beats, of course I'd get bored... or rather more depressed... Bad example........

But you get the point, some shows are simply more enjoyable and gets you more invested depending on the circumstance. Just because you get bored of it, doesn't mean its bad. I get bored of even my favorite games like Dark Souls, but I don't think its bad.

Jan 1, 2018 5:14 AM

I get bored watching LoGH and Lain, ended up giving both 1/10. Yup I agree with you.
'America is a stolen country'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM8WZ0ztMuc

Zapredon said:
It doesn't matter if you like LoGH,Monster etc.If you are a jobless or college/school dropout living in your mom basement, you are still an unintelligent loser. Taste in anime does not make you a better person.

Totally agree!

Jan 1, 2018 5:15 AM

MyKamiList said:

Still, the fact remains that those supposed good things about it didn't hold your attention(otherwise you wouldn't say you were bored). I think it's fine to say it's bad just for that reason alone.

It DID hold my attention though. A whole bunch of things happened scene by scene, and I was still curious how the story would go during the film. The only thing that made me bored was the dull, somber atmosphere that invoked my sleepiness.

Jan 1, 2018 5:18 AM

Elegade said:
This logic is flawed because it could depend on your mood if the show gets you invested or not. If my dog just died, my waifu broke up with me, I'm neck deep in debt, and overall deperessed, and I try to power through Angel Beats, of course I'd get bored... or rather more depressed... Bad example........

But you get the point, some shows are simply more enjoyable and gets you more invested depending on the circumstance. Just because you get bored of it, doesn't mean its bad. I get bored of even my favorite games like Dark Souls, but I don't think its bad.

Hmmm... still, unless you tried it again or rewatched(if you somehow finished) it I still do think it's fair to call it bad. I mean if we're going to use your mood as something to invalidate boredom I think this invalidates the opposite side of the coin too, enjoyment. I would argue that your mood dictates what you enjoy too at the time. That creates a conundrum.

Jan 1, 2018 5:20 AM

MyKamiList said:

It DID hold my attention though. A whole bunch of things happened scene by scene, and I was still curious how the story would go during the film. The only thing that made me bored was the dull, somber atmosphere that invoked my sleepiness.

Wait, you call wanting to fall asleep watching a show as attention holding? :o

Jan 1, 2018 5:22 AM

Well I would agree,
But then if I was absolutely bored to hell by the first three episodes of ToraDora,
then how’d the rest of the show turn out to be a 10/10 for me?

Jan 1, 2018 5:25 AM
Nana Deviluke❀️

Just saying a show is boring therefore bad you would have to be under the assumption all shows can appeal to everyone and their own personal needs.
Now if you can see a show that clearly fits to your appeals and interests is boring and you'd argue its boring because its bad compared to other shows of its kind because it doesn't have anything that lives up to your expectations of this kind of genre/demographic and can show how its lacking unlike those other series then feel free to do so Id say

Jan 1, 2018 5:25 AM

i've always been confused at why i feel boredom while watching some shows. never would've guessed it was because i wasn't enjoying it. thanks for clarifying this valuable information

Jan 1, 2018 5:26 AM

That's one damn simplistic way to look at it. If you've read classical literature, you should know that boredom is the spice for the later parts of a good work. The contrast between the two parts is what makes most pieces so good. You can take whichever book from russian realism for example.

And it's not all that different for anime. Take gintama for instance, everything points to it being at least a good series, yet everyone is bored to death by the first 60 episodes.

Jan 1, 2018 5:29 AM

Dreams_of_life said:
Boredom is a sign that you're watching a show which is not to your liking.

I fixed it for you. Well at least this is what I think.
You could also argue about the influence of the mood, I think it also has a huge impact like some others said.

Oh, same difference.
Your mood influences what you like/what you find good too. If that is case, your initial response to a show is still valid until a rewatch or until you try it again. I would argue again.

Jan 1, 2018 5:31 AM

Paradigmatic said:

Wait, you call wanting to fall asleep watching a show as attention holding? :o

I was interested enough to appreciate everything great about the film WHILE being sleepy. If it couldn't keep my attention, I would stop the film then and there and be done with it.

Jan 1, 2018 5:34 AM

Paradigmatic said:
I mean the main reason you get bored at a show is because it failed to get you invested in it. If that's not a reason to call something a bad show, I don't know what is.

I can turn back that sentence, and I will. If you get bored, that's a sign that YOU failed to get invested with the story, and character.
If you want an example that make this very obvious, someone with a very small attention spawn will get bored by something that doesn't keep getting a lot of action or a lot of what he wants (sexual content, and so on), whereas a good story usually doesn't just throw the same type of content over and over. A story is more than just action scenes after action scene, or more than erotic situations after erotic situations. Does that mean that the stories that bore those who don't have a good attention spawn are bad?
If it doesn't, then how can you pretend that YOUR BOREDOM is any better when it comes to define what is good or bad?
Or, for what it takes, how is a MAJORITY being bored defining what is good or bad? GEtting bored means you're not interested. If i'm not interested in say, gay romance, I will be bored by it. If a majority of peoples are not interested in gay romances, they will be bored by them very easily. Does that mean that the whole genre is bad because most peoples are bored by it?
No. If you're bored, you failed to select something that would interest you, and that's it. Gay romances are good, for peoples who are interested in that genre, so leave it to them.
If you have low attention spawn for example, don't go watch slow paced story telling, turn yourself toward action flics and the like and leave what doesn't interest you to those who are interested.

The "majority" is after all completely relative. It's not like the whole world has watched it and most of them decided it was boring. It's a very small part of the population. So if many peoples choose to watch said show because of wrong advertising or poorly done synopsis for example, chances are high that it will bores a "majority" of its watchers. But with better synopsis/advertising, maybe it wouldn't have. So. How can you define if something is bad or not when even the "majority" is completely relative to something else like advertising or synopsis?

So no. I don't think "boring" is a "fair" critic for a show or a novel/comic. If anything, it's the exact contrary. "Being boring" is NOT something that should figure in any proper review as this is NOT something that someone who reads you can relate to. Because what interests him and what interests you may be different, and since he doesn't know your taste, he cannot tell if would be bored too. I have a tendency to immediately dismiss as irrelevant any review that mention that the story is "boring". I don't care if you were bored, what I want to read is why you found it bad, and what you found was good. Being bored has nothing to do with it. Tells me it's slow paced if it is, not that it's boring. That way I can avoid it if I don't like slow paced story, and I can watch/read it if I like it. If you were bored due to the slow pace but tells me you were bored, I don't care because that doesn't tell me what I want to know. So that's worthless.

If anything, I would say that if you were completely bored by something, you shouldn't review it to begin with. Because you're not the targeted audience. If you feel that said show/book is getting a lot of peoples not interested into watching/reading it because what it looks like isn't what it is, then yes you may do a short review by remaining very factual about it. Guys, this story is about such and such, not really about this which doesn't play an important role at all. The whole point of the show is blablabla and its strength is clearly not in blablabla which is completely secondary. This may be very helpful to other peoples who like you would mistake that show/book for something it isn't.
"it's boring" isn't helpful to anyone. Not even to peoples who like you that were not the targeted audience.
Modified by Zefyris, Jan 1, 2018 5:50 AM

Jan 1, 2018 5:36 AM
Looks like i watch a lot of bad shows then.

Jan 1, 2018 5:38 AM
Peacemaker

Your logic is slightly flawed because it would mean that if you were entertained, then it would be a good show, which definitely isn't the case as many people enjoy bad shows which entertain them. For example, i was entertained by future diary, but i wouldn't call it a good show. And there are plenty more examples like elfin lied, akame ga kill, deadman wonderland, etc. I liked those shows a lot but i didn't think they were good. Thus opposite is also true, as i was bored by monster, but i thought it was a great show.
Why watch beach episodes when you can watch bleach episodes?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jan 1, 2018 5:49 AM

@Zefyris I actually say this with the assumption that if a guy with a short attention span is bored at say, one of my favorites. Them saying one of my favorites is bad is valid to themselves(which is the only thing that matters anyways for a person). I mean they can listen to many other people. Hell, they can listen to what I have to say about a show in my favorites. If that still doesn't make it enjoyable for them then I wouldn't really fault them by saying it is bad. That doesn't mean I agree though. I'm just saying that what the boredom they feel about my favorite shows are because we have different standards and that is okay. We don't have to cater to some imaginary objective standard.

I guess this can be a reply to @Deknijff too(kinda)

Jan 1, 2018 5:49 AM

I actually agree here. I don't understand how people can be bored and consider a show good. Boredom is a sign that you aren't being engaged by the show. Being engaged can be done in multiple ways, and a show being "entertaining/enjoyable" is merely one of them.

As for people who in this thread talk about anime they "are bored watching, but thought it was a great show with deep meaning", you are referring to a show that is greatly flawed. Most people just say it's not entertaining, but other than that it has clearly failed to engage you. If you aren't engaged at all from the intrigue of a "deep" anime, then it either doesn't intrigue you at all or it merely attempts to engage you in only ONE way, both of which would make it a bad series for most people (unless you happen to be really intrigued by that topic or that one way of engaging the audience works on you). Other than that, you're just being "2deep4you bullshitted" on hindsight of watching the show, where its failure to engage you and your incredible boredom has faded with time (so you don't penalise it harshly enough).

Contrast that to something I personally found good, 3-gatsu no lion. Sure it does engage me by intriguing me with its long inner thoughts, monologues and dialogues, but if that's all it did, it wouldn't hold my attention for long. Yet it does intersperse that with moments of passionate speeches, heartwarming moments and other less serious moments, which gave me a little time to cool off. Being able to engage the audience in a varied number of ways is a quality, it sure beats out anime who stick to to the "deep" stuff for too long and loses the attention of almost everyone.

Elegade said:

Makes sense, but
Modified by BurningSpirit, Jan 1, 2018 5:57 AM
I swear I'm not a lolicon.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Opinions are all relevant. I express mine freely and believe everyone should too. Unless you say "<Insert anime here> is the best! Everything else sucks", then GTFO.
My MAL Interview

Jan 1, 2018 5:55 AM

Not necessarily. There's so bad it's fun.

Boring shows are usually just average or plain.

Jan 1, 2018 5:55 AM

Paradigmatic said:
@Zefyris I actually say this with the assumption that if a guy with a short attention span is bored at say, one of my favorites. Them saying one of my favorites is bad is valid to themselves(which is the only thing that matters anyways for a person). I mean they can listen to many other people. Hell, they can listen to what I have to say about a show in my favorites. If that still doesn't make it enjoyable for them then I wouldn't really fault them by saying it is bad. That doesn't mean I agree though. I'm just saying that what the boredom they feel about my favorite shows are because we have different standards and that is okay. We don't have to cater to some imaginary objective standard.

I guess this can be a reply to @Deknijff too(kinda)

Ah you mean in a discussion from person to person rather than in a review then?
That's a different situation. However, saying that "it's boring" still feels wrong to me. Saying that "it bored me" is far more accurate. In such case, I would say it cannot be helped. Like I said in my previous post, being bored is usually a sign that you picked up something that you aren't interested in, IE, you aren't part of the targeted audience.
So if someone says to me that my favourite show bored them, I have nothing to say back to them. While it's unfortunate, it's a valid reason to not like it. For them, that is. It's not a valid reason to call it "bad", and will never be. It just shows that he made a mistake by picking that show to watch.

Jan 1, 2018 6:33 AM

Paradigmatic said:

I do think "being bored" is a fair criticism to a show. Well, this is just something to think about anyways too. What do y'all think?

not true at all. boredom means you either not paying enough attention, or maybe this show is not for you. calling something is bad just because boredom is very weak and cheap argument.

Jan 1, 2018 8:20 AM

AmMar-Sama said:
Grave of the Fireflies are great shows even thought I was bored to death by them, because they are full of profound meanings and and say deep things about LIFE.

kek

Grave of the fireflies is basically consquences to Japan from WWII and how the author experienced it(basically a stylized war documentary). Nothing deep or profound about it.

OT. Well since we're going into fallacies already, then:

Studying is bad cause you get bored (eventually) by doing it. Ergo this thread, and by extension, OP's argument is stupid.

Jan 1, 2018 8:23 AM

I'll just want to say that I really wanted to scream "Yeah, Utena sucks dicks!!" to all of the people here so hard right now.

Jan 1, 2018 8:28 AM

you're supposed to enjoy anime, people should drop shows that don't interest them.
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 1, 2018 8:30 AM

If they don't have any criticism other than "they were bored," that usually means it didn't appeal to the person watching it. If thy can bring in something more substantial like "this was dragged out too long" or "this character doesn't have enough development for me to care about their problems" then you have more going for your argument than just "it was boring." That doesn't mean you aren't allowed to call something boring because it didn't have what you look for in an anime, but it doesn't work in a serious discussion about something. I thought Baccano was boring but if I wanted to have an intelligent discussion about the show (which I probably wouldn't since even thinking about the show bores me) I'd have to bring more to the table.

Jan 1, 2018 8:34 AM

Shows are going to have boring bits like filler episodes, or it might be a slightly slower paced show. It comes down to the person, different people have different levels of tolerance for these kinds of things

Jan 1, 2018 8:51 AM

Paradigmatic said:
I mean the main reason you get bored at a show is because it failed to get you invested in it.

You're making quite an assumption here. At least for me this isn't always the case. I got bored with Log Horizon (Season 1) despite becoming invested in it. It was able to hook me in because of how it brought up thought-provoking issues within a game world that became reality. Eventually it started thinning out development with pointless filler and gratuitous recaps & reminders, which is when I got bored with it, even though I really wanted to see what would happen next.

Still, even though I would be hard pressed to call it good I definitely wouldn't call it bad, even if my net enjoyment was negative by the end. I can still appreciate it for what it did right and what it could have been with better execution. I would be lying if I said this was all I thought about the show, but going further would just be copying from my review of it (I need to rewrite the darn thing one day but it still holds my honest thoughts).

Jan 1, 2018 9:53 AM
fanservice<3

No, boredom is a sign you're watching a show that doesn't interest you
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 1, 2018 10:09 AM
</overrated>

Well they can't be all winners but being bored is almost worse than a show being actively bad.

Jan 7, 2018 5:10 PM

You said:
I'll just want to say that I really wanted to scream "Yeah, Utena sucks dicks!!" to all of the people here so hard right now.

Wait, but I heard Utena is a lesbian though?
"Legal translators and subbers for anime/manga are like the Shichibukai, basically pirates hired by companies to keep other pirates in check."-SuperRed

Jan 7, 2018 5:29 PM

I agree. If I am bored with a show, I drop it and consider it bad. That obviously doesn’t mean the show is objectively bad, but if it failed to entertain me, then it couldn’t complete its main purpose for me.

What's the difference?

Jan 7, 2018 5:30 PM

Paradigmatic said:
Before you go nuts and lynch me in the comments hear me out first. I mean the main reason you get bored at a show is because it failed to get you invested in it. If that's not a reason to call something a bad show, I don't know what is. No matter how you recognize what it's trying to do or at least how many people say something is great or is a classic as long as you aren't still invested in it, you can't really call it anything but bad, isn't it? I mean who calls stuff that don't catch their attention good? >.>

No, that's just 1 possibility.
Many people try watching something out of their comfort zone, something that they normally wouldn't watch.
Their original thoughts may have been correct, and they really didn't like the show.
If that makes the show "bad", it only applies to their perspective, it doesn't make the show unilaterally bad for everyone.

With most anime, for every person that thinks its "bad", there's at least 1 person that thinks its good.
It's actually possible for them both to be right, because they're deciding based on their own preferences & tastes.

I'm bored with trying to explain this to you, so I guess by your logic, you made a bad thread.
shame on you.
You're never too old to watch anime.
If I ever stop watching anime, check my pulse I'm likely dead.

I wake up with coffee & anime, I go to sleep with coffee & anime.

Sorry if my sarcasm is bad, it's not my first language.

Jan 7, 2018 5:33 PM

MogulKhanTouchUs said:
The entire Aria series.

Reading all those rave reviews of how it was a life-changing experience/masterpiece made me slog my way through...

But it's "supposed" to have no conflict, no antagonist, no complete story - the show is literally about nothing... and that's supposed to have a healing effect?

you gave origination a 9. you have been exposed

Jan 7, 2018 5:34 PM

I would say this rule does not completely apply to a long anime. Long anime sometimes use multiple episode of complete boring things to add up to something epic at the end. That does not mean the entire show was bad. It was just preparing you for something important that was going to come up.

Howver, it's true though. If boredom keeps building up. Even after the expected climax, then you truly are watching something that is bad.

Jan 7, 2018 5:35 PM

But what if i feel boredom even if i'm not watching any show?

Jan 7, 2018 5:42 PM

Paradigmatic said:
I mean the main reason you get bored at a show is because it failed to get you invested in it. If that's not a reason to call something a bad show, I don't know what is.

No. It's not a reason to consider something bad, though you were close. The way I see it:

Entertainment --> sign that the show is good to you
Boredom --> sign that the show is "meh" to you
Annoyance --> sign that the show is bad to you

(I underlined the words "to you" because even if you try to judge a show with your heart and mind as cold as possible, that judgment is still going to be a personal, subjective statement)

If you get bored with something that's not reason to consider it bad, since the feeling could be more negative than that.

I got bored with titles like OPM, Madoka, Akira, GITS and the Rurouni Kenshin ova, among others, but these didn't give me reasons to dislike them either, in which case I would have indeed considered them bad. They just bored me. They were just meh. They played the neutron role in the electric charge spectrum.

Jan 7, 2018 5:48 PM
~ PR Cheerio ~

Not exactly.

I got bored out of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, but I don't think its necessarily a bad show. It just means it's not my cup of tea.

But there are other shows that are bad for not only capturing my interest, but also failing at it in the mixture of things. Such as Death Note.

I can tend to differentiate my boredom and something that's actually legit bad.

Jan 7, 2018 5:48 PM

oryouohagi said:
And it's not all that different for anime. Take gintama for instance, everything points to it being at least a good series, yet everyone is bored to death by the first 60 episodes.

Sad thing is I loved the first 200 or so eps but now I'm stuck on the star wars arc and have no motivation to finish it, it's gone on for 5 or so eps now? Some of them go on for far too long.

Jan 7, 2018 6:32 PM

MogulKhanTouchUs said:
The entire Aria series.

Reading all those rave reviews of how it was a life-changing experience/masterpiece made me slog my way through...

But it's "supposed" to have no conflict, no antagonist, no complete story - the show is literally about nothing... and that's supposed to have a healing effect?

But slice of lifes are supposed to be about nothing dude,that is what make them so good,Do You think I like Mushishi because I thought it was good?I Actually like it because it helps me to sleep.
Modified by RafaelPereira97, Jan 7, 2018 6:35 PM

Jan 7, 2018 7:07 PM

If i find a show boring then its not the show for me. I would either drop it or like put it on hold if its like a show that people usually like.
- ζœ‹δΉŸx渚 -
You should cry while you still can. When you get
bigger, sometimes, you can't cry even if you have
something you wanna cry about.

Jan 7, 2018 7:15 PM

If I find a show boring, It'll be something I dislike, but I can still usually find the merits of it in some aspects.
For example: I recently tried watching Fate/Stay Night and was incredibly bored by the story. Every time I went to start up a new episode, it was met with disdain, like "aw geez, why am I watching more of this?"

The answer is that my friend kept pushing me to watch it, so I kept giving it another shot, and I'll probably end up going back to it for the same reason and just rating it low.

That being said, despite not enjoying it overall, there were good aspects about it (which I could go into here, but let's not turn this into a review), that kept me from rating it too low.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that boredom isn't the only factor in terms of quality... it's just seems to be one of the largest ones (at least for me).
::End of Transmission::

Pages (2) [1] 2 »