Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 1, 2018 12:21 AM

Feb 2015
I see you're mentionning many shows from the Gundam franchise, and just because it is such a huge franchise, I tend to avoid it. Not because I think it's bad, but because it feels like a huge commitment to start watching it. I recently started watching Lupin III, another huge franchise, and I kinda feel the same way about it, even if they may be separate entries.
Just the sheer amount of shows those franchises have is intimidating enough to postpone watching it.

There's also the problem that it is much harder to talk about the show you've just seen with your friends, for the same reason mentionned above. Say I'd want to talk about any show, I'd usually say "Hey I started watching X yesterday it was cool and all", but with Gundam or Lupin III, it is not that simple.
In fact, it's kinda hard to talk about it with anyone not familiar with the series, because they wouldn't know which show I'm talking about(can't expect them to know everyone single one), and I have to keep in mind every show I watched and know which one I'm talking about, and this list just keeps on growing.

Then there're probably some misconceptions that people hold about mecha as Pullman said.
I can't say I'm a big fan of mecha either, so it may come out as hypocritical, but I am always amused to hear people saying they don't like mecha, yet absolutely love Code Geass, and when asked why mechas in Geass aren't a problem, they answer that it's because its not the main focus of the show. It's like they assume that every other mecha shows have the mechs as their main focus.

One issue I have with mechas is that the pilot's skill and actions are not really measurable just by seeing it, meaning the pilot is seen as being passive.
Take a swordsman and a mecha swordsman's pilot for instance. The former directly slashes with his sword, when the latter orders a mech to slash while sitting in the mech's cockpit. Point being, the former may be seen as more active than the latter, and I feel this gap increases if the said swordsman/pilot is the MC or an important character. Like, I want to see this person act, not them controlling a robot to act. It leaves less of an impact imo.
rahillimitciJan 1, 2018 12:28 AM
Jan 1, 2018 12:39 AM
Jul 2018
Spagem said:
kyorich said:
The only anime that has mecha elements in it that I have seen are Evangelion, Code Geass & Valvrave.

Tried to watch another mecha anime a few months ago but I dropped it because I got bored by all the exposition of how the robot/mecha functions. (Yeah, its a stupid ass reason to drop a show but it was really tedious to watch)
What mecha anime was it you tried watching?

Gundam Wing. I dropped it after watching a few episodes.
Jan 1, 2018 12:42 AM

Jan 2013
I love just every mecha show that has been made so far (except for the overrated Code Geass maybe)! Even the old-fashioned ones from Go Nagai, heh!
Now, I think that many people don't like them, because they found the sci-fi setting on each one of them too ''complicated'' (I guess that's why many prefering the more ''simple'' and more ''mainstream'' Code Geass), or because they think that they are ''cheesy'', or something (perhaps because some of them reminds them the cheesy Power Rangers tv show), but that's not true! If viewers give so time to a mecha series, it can actually be proven not as complicated as it looks, and more ''deeper'' than they thought, heh!

EDIT:
Btw, it's Evangelion (the greek word for ''Gospel''), not ''Evangalion'', lol!
giannis85Jan 1, 2018 11:08 AM
Jan 1, 2018 1:15 AM

Jul 2017
Aemnesias said:

Then there're probably some misconceptions that people hold about mecha as Pullman said.
I can't say I'm a big fan of mecha either, so it may come out as hypocritical, but I am always amused to hear people saying they don't like mecha, yet absolutely love Code Geass, and when asked why mechas in Geass aren't a problem, they answer that it's because its not the main focus of the show. It's like they assume that every other mecha shows have the mechs as their main focus.

I guess I'm one of those who avoid mecha but love Code Geass. It's true though, because the main appeal of Code Geass is not really the mecha component, but its psychological themes, I guess. I haven't really bothered to check other mecha shows to check its main focus.

I used to enjoy power rangers when I was a kid, and enjoyed Code Geass when I came to know anime. The next mechas I watched were NGE and Lagann and didn't bother to watch any other mecha anime yet because I feel like I'll be watching power rangers again. So, I guess why I avoid mecha is because of power rangers.
Those who can't do what they have to when the time comes for action will find their presence fading in our classroom. An assassin who neglects to sharpen his blade is no assassin at all. He's just a boastful brat swinging around a rusty sword.
Jan 1, 2018 1:24 AM
Aug 2017
"Afraid" is a wrong word. I just don't like it. I am someone who likes watching action with closed combat that involve martial art. Mecha fights seems so distant to me since the combatants can't see face to face and read each other's expression.

I do like Transformers and Ghost in the shell though.
Himawari9Jan 1, 2018 1:41 AM
Jan 1, 2018 1:35 AM

Jul 2017
I think the anime watching habit as a kid might affect your taste. I think most people who like the mecha genre like robots since they are kids.
I grown up watching Mahou Shoujo/ Shoujo anime because I always watch TV with my sister and I turned off the TV whenever I saw Gundam or staff because my sister hate it. (My sister hate it because boys love it... just how kids think...)

And I'm now still getting tuned off completely by robots... I once tried to overcome it a few years ago and I can't even finish an episode of guilty crown, so a big no for me...

Jan 1, 2018 1:59 AM

Apr 2014
I'm not a fan of the genre but I don't hate it either.
Pretty much everyone has seen or is willing to see NGE, Gurren Lagann, GiTs, etc.
But if someone doesn't want to watch Gundam or Macross because there's too many damn episodes and seasons, I wouldn't call that being afraid of mecha anime.
Jan 1, 2018 2:02 AM

Feb 2016
Theres too many Gundams, thats why.
Jan 1, 2018 2:11 AM

Mar 2008
Zoce_ said:
here are list of mecha shows safe to recommend and have watched and liked to some degree.
I'm so glad you liked them.

mobile suit gundamn 79
Outdated, corny, overly long and padded with horrible episodes. Who in therer right mind would want to watch this in this day and age?

mobile suit gundam the 08th team
Or I could read Shakespeare's version which comes without the hypocritical pacifist babbling served hot with Gundam's usual war-wanking.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Melodrama war is sad boohoo 101

gundam the origin
You won't believe how crazy the Nazis were. Char is God: the Long edition

thunderbolt
The bleeding edge of modern mecha suffering.

Evangalion
Disgusting.

gurren lagan
Bigger is better. Shout out now.

ghost in shell (movies or tv shows) (yes it is considered mecha in mal)
MAL is mecha

Eureka Seven
Evangelion but in 50 eps and only one blue haired waifu.

full metal panic (second riding is better than previous seasons)
I can't believe it's not a fumoffu romcom ha ha ha

Bokurano (mcs are kids, but not for kids at all)
uninstall uninstall

Zegapain
Why why why, Mr Zoce. Why do you persist?

some shows worth watching bit still didnt finish
If not even you couldt finish it...

Tenkuu no Escaflowne
It's a shoujo, not it's a shounen!

Turn a gundam
The dark underbelly of the Gundam UNIVERSE.

i am sure there are more, i just didnt watch everything enough to recommend them.
Not even 15 shows? Mecha's making a poor showing ;_;

everytime i sugest a show to a person with plot summary they get less excited and mosly dismiss my recommendation if they knew the anime is mecha.
Because mecha means merchandising and bad tropes guaranteed™

it is like people think genres are what makes or breaks a story. so many people. i am not sure if this is the case in mal. but in discord (anime community) a lot, nay, A LOT of people get discouraged when they learn the anime is mecha.

Because mecha sucks, and I've yet to see a good argument otherwise.

i dont think genres or a type of show can make the anime better or worse no matter how different your taste is.

Why a giant robot? It's illogical and inherently runs counter to the point of "serious themes and serious war is serious hell." Flawed at its very foundation, mecha is at best formed as an exaggerated child power fantasy; at worst, a hackneyed awful caricature of the very thing it tries to be.

we all like good story right?
A good story doesn't revolve around the marketing of overexpensive plastic toys.

does it matter if what MC use for weapon? does it matter what type of action is there in the show as long characters and story are good?

Yes, the tool of a hero is naturally a reflection of their character and the greater work's spirit. Can you imagine a protagonist who fought with faeces? No good story could then change the fact that it is poo.

it all comes down to execution. there are ton of shit shounen anime. that doesn't mean they are shit because they are shounen.
They are shit because they are shounen.

same goes with withi thought as the most boring genre, slice of life. i always thought there cant be a good sol shows bbecause i have seen bad ones.

i changed my mind untill i saw good ones.
Yes.

saying mecha is boring is like saying anime is for kids.
Anime is for kids.

edit:
Pullman somehow explained it better than me in the comments. bless him
here what he said:
Pullman said:
just the fact that it is its own genre makes people think it is a way bigger part of every anime with the tag than it actually is in many cases. They think it's literally 95% mecha pewpew but that's not true for the majority of series. Mecha is just one random way of solving conflicts, just like swords or guns or magic or whatever else a specific anime setting allows for.

People don't even look at the plot with mecha because they expect it to be just a sidenote to the pewpew but in my experience it's the other way round, the mecha fights are just a means to advance the plot which focuses on different stuff. Of course the pure 'mechawank' shows exist, but there's also a lot of plot or character driven shows that just happen to have mecha.

did that help in changing your views a bit?

No, you are thoroughly unconvincing and your arguments are shockingly counter-productive.
Jan 1, 2018 2:15 AM
Jun 2016
kyorich said:
Gundam Wing. I dropped it after watching a few episodes.

That explains it.

I love mecha, and quite a lot of Gundam, but I despise Gundam Wing. It's boring trite. Every shot lasts far longer than it should because they were clearly out of budget, hence why the mechas are just left over designs from G and every fight scene is like a recap episode.

Try watching an actually good Gundam show like early UC Gundam (0079, Zeta, ZZ, CCA), G Gundam, or Gundam 00. Avoid Wing, SEED, AGE, and IBO.

Himawari9 said:
I am someone who likes watching action with closed combat that involve martial art. Mecha fights seems so distant to me since the combatants can't see face to face and read each other's expression.

Try G Gundam, it's a martial arts anime with mecha. Plus the pilots can seemingly hear their opponents through the Gundams, so it's almost face to face combat, but they do it in giant robots.
'ate gundam
Jan 1, 2018 2:37 AM

May 2014
I doubt this is going to help at all, but at least to me, Mecha anime’s always seemed kind of niche. It reminds me of power rangers (and any similar shows) more than anything. Obviously if you sit down and watch either one you’re gonna realize it’s got a lot of other things going for it, and there could be all kinds of different tones and stories and characters and ideas at play, but at the end of the day the show is about folks who pilot gigantic robots. Some folks just aren’t drawn in by gigantic robots, the same way some folks aren’t drawn in by power ranger-like teams.

Personally I’m okay with the genre, (though apparently I’ve only watched 22 of them, so take that as you will) but I can’t help being really wary of the tropes that have popped up time and time again. Probably the biggest complaint I have for the mech genre (that also applies to most space shows) is that the enemies being fought are horrifically boring. I’m talking about the waves and waves of faceless foot soldiers the main characters inevitably fight for the sake of having some conflict at every turn. Whether they’re aliens or robots or a bajillion faceless bad guys in the exact same mech model, i feel like there’s rarely any depth there at all?? But someone’s gotta keep attacking to remind us that the world is having a rough time, so in come the lackey clones. That setup barely works for zombies, but at least with zombies there’s a survival aspect, usually the fear of turning into one, maybe having to kill people you know, etc. But when it’s just a wave of bad men from the other team (or aliens or robots) that all look identical and just show up to die again and again it’s.. not great.

Anyway, as someone else said, people fighting in robots doesn’t do much for me. It’s also hard to explain why I wouldn’t be interested if they used guns or some other weapon instead, because it’s rarely ever that easy. Anyone can pick up a gun/sword and start some zany adventure, but (usually) when giant robots are involved it’s only the military elite or at least a special division that would have access to them. Military settings rarely interest me, and I feel like 9 times out of 10 that’s what they start off with. Depending on the structure (is the MC taking orders constantly or is he calling the shots? Even if he’s a high rank, does he want to know what’s going on or is he just here to shoot stuff?) it can be really disappointing, and what feels like wasted potential, I guess?

It’s also hard to explain how I feel about this because I really love shows that take place in space, and to some extent I really love spaceships, but spaceship fights (in any media) do absolutely nothing for me, unless it serves to explain how certain technologies work and how they can be used to say .. destroy shields or interrupt warps or whatever, so the “technobabble” down the line doesn’t seem like an asspull. If it’s just shot after shot of lasers flying around it adds nothing. Which is also what tends to go through my head while watching most mech fights (especially when it’s the main character steamrolling the foot soldier enemies I mentioned earlier). I’d also say the same if it was a fantasy anime and the OP main character kept being attacked by waves of 30x goblins at a time and one wave of his sword miraculously killed them all. It’s just not fun to watch, lol.

This has been really long winded but my point is basically I’m not a fan of the endless hordes of bland enemies that pop up until the big bad boss is ready to fight during the season finale, and I unfortunately see that way too much. There are quite a few other mecha-specific tropes that put me off, but that’s a big enough ramble for now.
OatGoblinJan 1, 2018 2:44 AM
Jan 1, 2018 2:57 AM

Dec 2017
kyorich said:
The only anime that has mecha elements in it that I have seen are Evangelion, Code Geass & Valvrave.

Tried to watch another mecha anime a few months ago but I dropped it because I got bored by all the exposition of how the robot/mecha functions. (Yeah, its a stupid ass reason to drop a show but it was really tedious to watch)

well you can now check one of the shows listed andhave fun
Jan 1, 2018 3:10 AM

Dec 2017
Aemnesias said:
I see you're mentionning many shows from the Gundam franchise, and just because it is such a huge franchise, I tend to avoid it. Not because I think it's bad, but because it feels like a huge commitment to start watching it.

you know what is the good news is ? not all of them is worth it. half the franchise arent good, some of the other half aint 8/10 or something. these arethe ones i got intrested in. and liked watching. you dont have to watch all of them in order to understand them individually. of course thats my opinion. others will say something else maybe.

Aemnesias said:

. I recently started watching Lupin III, another huge franchise, and I kinda feel the same way about it, even if they may be separate entries.
Just the sheer amount of shows those franchises have is intimidating enough to postpone watching it.

just watch lupin iii the woman called fujiko it is altranative version or sort of altranative prequal to lupin. it is also better than thewhole forst series in my opinion. there i helped you. ohyou can watch the movie myazaki directed. i forgot its name.then you can stop or dive more if u are interested.

Aemnesias said:

There's also the problem that it is much harder to talk about the show you've just seen with your friends, for the same reason mentionned above. Say I'd want to talk about any show, I'd usually say "Hey I started watching X yesterday it was cool and all", but with Gundam or Lupin III, it is not that simple.
In fact, it's kinda hard to talk about it with anyone not familiar with the series, because they wouldn't know which show I'm talking about(can't expect them to know everyone single one), and I have to keep in mind every show I watched and know which one I'm talking about, and this list just keeps on growing.

i understand you. all of what i meniyioned arent about mecha. the only reason why i liked them is the story and characters. dont care about the robots or action in ot. i am not action guy trust me. i rather watch a story about character that grow and develop over mindless action. i wont call names.

Aemnesias said:

One issue I have with mechas is that the pilot's skill and actions are not really measurable just by seeing it, meaning the pilot is seen as being passive.
Take a swordsman and a mecha swordsman's pilot for instance. The former directly slashes with his sword, when the latter orders a mech to slash while sitting in the mech's cockpit. Point being, the former may be seen as more active than the latter, and I feel this gap increases if the said swordsman/pilot is the MC or an important character. Like, I want to see this person act, not them controlling a robot to act. It leaves less of an impact imo.

i cant comment on this. because like i said about. i dontcare about theaction in these shows. i only care about the conflict and inner conflict with the characters andstory. the narrative and plot too. so i cant really help you in this regard because i am myself dont care that much.
Jan 1, 2018 3:13 AM

Dec 2017
giannis85 said:

EDIT:
Btw, it's Evangelion (the greek word for ''Gospel''), not ''Evangalion'', lol!

thanks for correcting me. btw some of those shows arent scifi. like escaflowne.
Jan 1, 2018 3:29 AM
Sep 2016
I just can't find any recent mecha anime, all the mecha anime I've heard of are outdated, at least for the art and animation and I have this problem that I won't like an anime if it's art isn't at most 8 years old.
Jan 1, 2018 3:37 AM

Dec 2017
HyperBrid said:
I just can't find any recent mecha anime, all the mecha anime I've heard of are outdated, at least for the art and animation and I have this problem that I won't like an anime if it's art isn't at most 8 years old.

great show:
gundam the origin

very good show:
thunderbolt

decent:
gundam unicorn ( a rip-off of the first gundam. it is decsnt)

all of these are less than 8 years

there is a show that is oldeer than 8 but is great:
gurren lagann

till this day it look amazing and beautiful
Jan 1, 2018 3:38 AM

Apr 2017
As far as I remember, only Knights and Magic was the only the first mecha anime that I watched and enjoyed so much.
Jan 1, 2018 3:42 AM

Jan 2009
Some people just can't handle the awesomeness of Super robots.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 1, 2018 3:56 AM

Nov 2016
I do like the odd mecha anime. I love TTGL and NGE but I also hate Code Geass and have no idea why it's so highly rated
Jan 1, 2018 4:00 AM

Oct 2017
I can see some hardcore fans of it.
I just personally can’t see myself enjoying something like that, as a rom/fantasy watcher.
Jan 1, 2018 4:03 AM

Jan 2009
Sarim-kun said:
I can see some hardcore fans of it.
I just personally can’t see myself enjoying something like that, as a rom/fantasy watcher.

Weeeeell Escaflowne is both romance and fantasy in addition to being mecha

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 1, 2018 5:42 AM

Feb 2015
I rarely watch mecha simply because I prefer fantasy over sci-fi stuff.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 1, 2018 5:46 AM

Dec 2017
Hakaminah said:
I rarely watch mecha simply because I prefer fantasy over sci-fi stuff.

watch escaflowne then, it is fantasy

gurren lagann is more fantasy than most mecha. you could say it is magic. more unrealistic than other shows too
Jan 1, 2018 6:04 AM

Feb 2015
@Zoce_ I won't watch gurren lagann unless it's for challenge but it will be forcing myself (I've seen some reviews and random moments on YB and I just feel that it's not my kind of anime) and just because mecha can be fantasy too it won't make me watch it. When I say fantasy I think of world without great technology, especially without giant robots fighting with each other for whatever reason.

Jan 1, 2018 6:21 AM

Dec 2017
Hakaminah said:
@Zoce_ I won't watch gurren lagann unless it's for challenge but it will be forcing myself (I've seen some reviews and random moments on YB and I just feel that it's not my kind of anime) and just because mecha can be fantasy too it won't make me watch it. When I say fantasy I think of world without great technology, especially without giant robots fighting with each other for whatever reason.

fantasy is broad definition my friend. it has many subgenres. look it up.
Jan 1, 2018 6:25 AM

Feb 2015
@Zoce_ I know what you mean and I also told you, what I think is a true fantasy.

Jan 1, 2018 6:27 AM

Dec 2017
Hakaminah said:
@Zoce_ I know what you mean and I also told you, what I think is a true fantasy.

there is nothing as true genre my friend. i think what you mean there is type of fantasy that appeal to you more than other types of fantasy stories.
Jan 1, 2018 9:14 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
My problem with mecha is that most robots don't make good waifus.

The few robots which do make good likable characters waifus often aren't in shows categorized as mecha.
Plus a lot of mecha shows are really long and not everybody enjoys shows with 50+ episodes.
Jan 1, 2018 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
From what I’ve seen most mechas are old and niche and the average anime fan hasn’t gotten into retro anime unless it’s a popular one. I doubt people would ever heard of l gaim when they think of “‘mecha”. It’s the same deal with retro jrpgs before the ps2 era really.
removed-userJan 1, 2018 9:21 AM
Jan 1, 2018 10:37 AM

Jul 2013
Not into mecha anime because I'm not into the whole generic giant robots fighting aliens... besides I got Super Sentai for that honestly so no point.

Jan 1, 2018 10:46 AM
Jul 2018

For me it's not about "shit/not shit" at all..

I like sci-fi, but I don't like action and any kind of fights / battles and seems like mecha shows go hand in hand with those elements.
Jan 1, 2018 10:47 AM

Jun 2015
Zoce_ said:
here are list of mecha shows safe to recommend and have watched and liked to some degree.

mobile suit gundamn 79
mobile suit gundam the 08th team
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
gundam the origin
thunderbolt
Evangalion
gurren lagann
ghost in shell (movies or tv shows) (yes it is considered mecha in mal)
Eureka Seven
full metal panic (second riding is better than previous seasons)
Bokurano (mcs are kids, but not for kids at all)
Zegapain

some shows worth watching bit still didnt finish
Tenkuu no Escaflowne
Turn a gundam

If you'd rec msg 079 I'd also say Space Runaway Ideon is definitely worth checking into. Much better.

Anyway, people have a negative mindset with the genre going in. It isn't the 70s or 80s anymore.

Jan 1, 2018 10:48 AM

Apr 2014
I just don't like big robots beating other big robots.
Jan 1, 2018 10:49 AM

Jun 2015
kuuderu said:

I like sci-fi, but I don't like action and any kind of fights / battles and seems like mecha shows go hand in hand with those elements.
Most mecha focus on political intrigue and just use battles to serve as physical representations of the different mindsets presented. Or to sell toys.

Either way, if you really don't like action but you do like science fiction in general, you can zip through the battles. Most shows only have like 5percent of an episode devoted to them.

Jan 1, 2018 10:52 AM

Dec 2017
Milk_is_Special said:

so you only care aboutaction and dont care about the quality of plot and characters?

i understand
Jan 1, 2018 10:54 AM

Dec 2017
kuuderu said:

i dont care about action most of the time. i only care about story and characters
Jan 1, 2018 11:35 AM

Jan 2013
The only Gundam I have ever seen so far is 2016's ''The Iron-Blooded Orphans'', which not only is great, but since the story took place... centuries after the original ''trilogy''* of the ''canon'' Gundam shows, nobody needs to see the older ones to enjoy it - not to mention that for me, THAT was the BEST anime of 2016 (a difficult year for the industry)! Now, I'm really interested to watch the older ''canon'' ones, heh!
As for Macross, I have seen (and enjoyed) the original series and the movie ''Do You Remember Love?'', and those are enough I think - since I personally think that those are the better ones, and the only ones animated from the studio ''Artland'' (of Legend of the Galactic Heroes fame)!

When I say ''original trilogy'', I mean Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam (the best of the ''canon'' ones, perhaps), and Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack!
Note: Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ is considered by many ''the worst Gundam'' and it's treated by the most as a ''bad filler'' (in the level of... Dragon Ball GT, lol), so it can just be skipped, and that's why I didn't put it in the ''trilogy'', xd!
giannis85Jan 1, 2018 12:14 PM
Jan 1, 2018 11:37 AM

Apr 2014
Zoce_ said:
Milk_is_Special said:

so you only care aboutaction and dont care about the quality of plot and characters?

i understand
No, I just don't like robots, in any sense of the word. Even if the characters are well written it doesn't change the fact that the story revolves around robots.
Jan 1, 2018 1:42 PM

Oct 2014
For the most part I've found mecha to be boring. I don't know what exactly it is about them, they just generally feel boring. One's like Macross where most of the show is taking place in the cockpit are boring for obvious reasons and Evangelion takes it time to get more interesting, but there's no way it's just coincidence that I find them boring nor do I hate the concept of people controlling robots, but so far aside silly ones like Date a Live I haven't found any to be that enjoyable.
Jan 1, 2018 2:28 PM

Dec 2017
zombie_pegasus said:
For the most part I've found mecha to be boring. I don't know what exactly it is about them, they just generally feel boring. One's like Macross where most of the show is taking place in the cockpit are boring for obvious reasons and Evangelion takes it time to get more interesting, but there's no way it's just coincidence that I find them boring nor do I hate the concept of people controlling robots, but so far aside silly ones like Date a Live I haven't found any to be that enjoyable.
check 6-7 episodes of zegapain , if you aint interested in that nothing will get you interested
Jan 1, 2018 3:05 PM

Mar 2016
They look terribly unappetizing that's what.

Megas is the only good mecha animu.
Jan 1, 2018 3:22 PM

Jul 2008
Mecha is pretty hit and miss for me, Gundam seed was really awesome second season sucked, Iron blood orphans had a certain appeal to it for sure, however my main grab for anime is comedy and gundam isn't that. Everyone is here looking at anime for different reasons. Trends change all the time, mecha used to be way more towards the top then it is today. For the most part it boils down to the average anime fan isn't looking for what mecha gives you.

Lupin has fallen of the radar a lot it's age brings back things nobody cares about. Very few people watch anime for gag based comedy so lupin fail to grab the modern comedy fan. It has fallen way out of style. So people aren't watching mecha because the appeal of it is not in style or a trend.
Jan 1, 2018 3:54 PM

Jul 2017
Fundamentally it's down to personal preferences. It's very much like music, you're not going to like everything, however, tastes can be acquired.

Personally, I dislike highly futuristic setting, mecha anime can easily over-do it. This is not bound only to mecha, it applies to all science fiction.

Anime cannot be passed down as 'good' just because it has an adequate story. There are far more factors that other people may or may not consider, like or care for. Not everyone shares the same standards or appreciates the same qualities.

People these days seem very entitled to speak about others, yet they don't know the first thing about them.

Suddenly, someone slaps you with a brick wall.

Jan 2, 2018 12:44 PM
Oct 2017
Scared?Last time I checked there was no such thing as mechaphobia.
Jan 2, 2018 12:57 PM
Jul 2018
Because they're afraid of watching good shows.
Jan 2, 2018 1:05 PM

Jun 2016
HyperBrid said:
Unfortunately the mecha genre is dead, so yes, most are "outdated". I, however, don't find that the art is worse in older anime, I actually find that it looks better. This is an artist's interpretation, but I think he/she does a good job showcasing the general "default" style of each decade.

The art isn't worse or "outdated", it's just different. The animation, sure, you have a point for the most part.
JerryKen10 said:
As far as I remember, only Knights and Magic was the only the first mecha anime that I watched and enjoyed so much.
I'm the opposite. I've seen a lot of mecha anime, and Knights and Magic was so outstandingly terrible that I watched all of it in amazement that something so bad exists. One of the 4 anime I've ever given a 1/10 to.

peddochann said:
See @Milk_is_Special
Jan 2, 2018 1:08 PM

Dec 2017
Spagem said:
HyperBrid said:
Unfortunately the mecha genre is dead, so yes, most are "outdated". I, however, don't find that the art is worse in older anime, I actually find that it looks better. This is an artist's interpretation, but I think he/she does a good job showcasing the general "default" style of each decade.

The art isn't worse or "outdated", it's just different. The animation, sure, you have a point for the most part.
JerryKen10 said:
I'm the opposite. I've seen a lot of mecha anime, and Knights and Magic was so outstandingly terrible that I watched all of it in amazement that something so bad exists. One of the 4 anime I've ever given a 1/10 to.

peddochann said:
See @Milk_is_Special

gundam the orgin
thunderbolt

there are still new good mecha
Jan 2, 2018 1:08 PM

Jul 2014
You have $2 to make a mecha anime. You can pay to have the following elements removed for $1 each:

-Twatty and edgy characters
-Bad mech designs
-Asspulls/ goofball twists
-Pants-on-head retarded world/ setting

So far, the guy who has $4 to make a mecha hasn't been born yet. I guess Suisei no Gargantia had $3 which is something.
Jan 2, 2018 1:20 PM

Jun 2016
Zoce_ said:

gundam the orgin
thunderbolt

there are still new good mecha
Excuse me.

Aside from Gundam, one series, mecha is dead. From Spring 2017 - Winter 2018, we've had like 12 mecha anime that aren't Gundam, 2 being CGI trash, 2 being Code Geass remakes, and 2 being for little kids.
Jan 2, 2018 2:07 PM

Sep 2017
I often find myself disliking mecha because I don't feel the danger for the characters themselves. They just sit in giant machines which makes it hard for me to root for them. When I see a broken mecha, it has a different effect then seeing a bleeding body, if you can understand.

Though, I'm not affraid for the genre and willing to try high acclaimed mecha. However, most of the time I tend to avoid it because it's not really my thing.

“If you live for yourself you’ve only got yourself to blame. So I can’t really blame anyone else and I don’t have any regrets.”

list

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

159 by TitanOfPlasma »»
18 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 3 hours ago

11 by Takuya_Yagami »»
22 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - 3 hours ago

12 by APolygons2 »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » slut vs prude waifus

deg - Yesterday

30 by LoveLikeBlood »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 32 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.