Forum Settings
Forums
Horimiya
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 30, 2017 2:54 PM
Jun 2016
I really liked Horimiya’s around first 40 chapters but I feel like it’s not as good as it used to be anymore. Not saying that it’s bad though. Especially with Izumi’s change in look. Does anyone feel this way as well?
T0ndoDec 31, 2017 12:49 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 2, 2018 9:15 AM

Oct 2016
It doesn't gets worse. It just changes. They don't focus on the relationship between Hori and Miyamura so that's why people think it gets worse. Yeah maybe because of Miyamura's hair change but I think it's because it's easier to draw other than adding a ponytail. You can drop it if you want but I think you'll miss a lot of cute moments. Sometimes you can also think it gets worse because your interest fades out.
no baby anime supremacist no opinion
Jan 2, 2018 11:13 AM
Jun 2016
pearchy said:
It doesn't gets worse. It just changes. They don't focus on the relationship between Hori and Miyamura so that's why people think it gets worse. Yeah maybe because of Miyamura's hair change but I think it's because it's easier to draw other than adding a ponytail. You can drop it if you want but I think you'll miss a lot of cute moments. Sometimes you can also think it gets worse because your interest fades out.
Don’t get me wrong, I think it’s still pretty good, just not as good as back then. For example him trying to hide the tattoos and piercings. Well nevertheless it’s enjoyable.
Jan 2, 2018 11:18 AM
Jul 2014
Honestly, it started going downhill for me once Hori started demanding abuse from Miyamura. That was the point where I almost started hating their relationship. Imo they've recovered a little by focusing on the side couples but it's kinda hard to read when one half of the relationship is making the other half do things they're uncomfortable with.
Jan 3, 2018 2:59 PM

Dec 2015
nah dude you just have the shittiest taste in manga
Jan 3, 2018 3:03 PM
Jun 2016
Fran said:
nah dude you just have the shittiest taste in manga
Ok, lul, no need to hate me. It‘s not like I said it‘s bad, I actually find it to be still pretty good, just not as it used to be.
Jan 3, 2018 5:20 PM

Feb 2016
I feel like I have reading nisekoi...chapters that do not matter to the main history.
The battle is over.
Show respect for the fallen
who fought so bravely.
Jan 3, 2018 6:48 PM

Sep 2014
Aye, that's why I dropped it at around chapter 56. It was just too different from the first 40-50+ chapters. It just got really boring.
Jan 4, 2018 6:24 AM
Sep 2016
I think that too. Too much focus on the side characters and when we get Hori and Miyamura they are almost always fighting for silly things. I miss the atmosphere of the first chapters.
Jan 6, 2018 6:55 PM

Sep 2016
It got worse in like chapter 20 something. Reading this after that was just so boring what with absolutely nothing happening for dozen of chapters.
This manga is way overrated imho.

🔥You're looking at someone🔥

🔥Who is superior to you🔥

🔥You have my permission to🔥

🔥Bask in my glow🔥

Jan 6, 2018 9:32 PM

Jan 2018
The manga strayed from the main focus of the story, which was the relationship between Hori and Miyamura. Now, I only read it when I'm bored.
Jan 8, 2018 4:36 AM

Jun 2010
Lex1979 said:
I think that too. Too much focus on the side characters and when we get Hori and Miyamura they are almost always fighting for silly things. I miss the atmosphere of the first chapters.

I agree with you
good to know i wasnt the only one
Jan 22, 2018 1:12 AM

Mar 2015
lol, i tough it's on decline after first 25 chapter with the whole miyamura "childhood friends", 'Insecurity", "is she/he actually love me (even when they already have sex, which why it's soo distasteful)" drama fest bullshitery.. it's just back getting funny recently around chapter 55+ when they focusing more to side character...

maybe our taste is simply different, but seriously, i prefer they stay this way than back to those drama fest...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 22, 2018 11:29 AM
Jun 2012
It basically turned into a manga with somewhat of a story, to a complete pure slice of life.

So yeah its a bit weird. There's really nothing left for it to accomplish in terms of story so if you're reading it for any sort of "development" then I'd advise staying away.
Jan 22, 2018 10:13 PM
Jun 2016
SS-Chan said:
It basically turned into a manga with somewhat of a story, to a complete pure slice of life.

So yeah its a bit weird. There's really nothing left for it to accomplish in terms of story so if you're reading it for any sort of "development" then I'd advise staying away.
Never said I‘d drop it, just different.
Jan 31, 2018 12:45 PM
Jul 2016
It's adapted from a webcomic that includes a lot of omake, and none of those were adapted initially. That's what they've been doing by and large for the last while. It'll come back to the main plot again soon enough, I think.
Feb 10, 2018 8:35 PM

Jan 2017
As others said, it just changes. It depends on you if you think it got worse. As for me, I still prefer to see Hori and Miyamura romance, but focusing on side characters ain't that bad. I just miss them.
Feb 11, 2018 1:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
T0ndo said:
I really liked Horimiya’s around first 40 chapters but I feel like it’s not as good as it used to be anymore. Not saying that it’s bad though. Especially with Izumi’s change in look. Does anyone feel this way as well?

You're right. And it has gotten objectify worse. The plot has spread out too thin over too many characters and feels lacking in direction. A shame really. The first 30 chapters or so were great
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 16, 2018 12:50 PM

Jan 2018
it strayed into a slice of life comedy disregarding the whole drama/romance thing but it's in a high school setting so SoL had to eventually take over. it's focusing more on side-characters (which I honestly don't dislike) since the two mains hooked up and there are no rivals whatsoever (which is good because that usually makes no sense) and they're making anything but fillers because the plot pretty much ended. what you can wait for them to graduate and think more about the future but that's really cliché and I think they're avoiding it. so the series is being forcingly dragged and could end anytime, maybe around 100chapters.
Mar 12, 2018 5:14 PM
Aug 2014
I adored it until the "filler" story began. It was somewhere around chapter 50.
Mar 14, 2018 10:26 AM

Jul 2017
IMO it didn't get worse, the focus just strayed from Hori and Miyamura which is a disappointment such I love them so much. I do feel though as it's lacking in something currently. I wish the focus were put back on the two, I love the side characters but Hori-Miya will always be my favorite in the series which I'm sure we all agree on. Either way I still absolutely love the manga and even though the focus is pointed somewhere else, I still enjoy a monthly chapter of Horimiya, it helps cleanse my soul from all the action and shounen I watch/read.
Gintama > One Piece = Naruto > Bleach > DBZ

Nyanko Big is my spirit animal.
Mar 14, 2018 10:47 AM

Apr 2016
Well they've changed focus to the other characters... I don't particularly dislike it though.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Mar 16, 2018 3:00 PM
Nov 2017
Am i the only one who loves the attention the side characters are getting? I really like how we get to see the other characters lives and just more about them but i personally do like stories with lots of characters so that's something that's different from person to person. I do agree that there should be more hori and miyamura chapters bc i heard in the webcomic there's more development and i really wanna see that. These chapters are light and funny so it's nice to see that. Overall i like it but it can get frustrating when u just want the plot to actually plot
Apr 5, 2018 12:41 PM
Mar 2018
T0ndo said:

Why not go back to the original 4-koma webcomic Hori-san to Miyamura-kun. I gonna read 4-koma version because my interest is fading in Manga version after a break I will come back.
And if You're losing interest go read
Kyou no Cerberus by Ato Sakurai.
Or
Takane & Hana by Yuki Shiwasu.
I can't guarantee you like it but it's Fun especially takane&Hana.
Apr 15, 2018 2:15 AM

Aug 2017
T0ndo said:

Damn you got every word out of my mouth.
Apr 15, 2018 3:35 AM

Aug 2017
I agree definitly as you said I don't think it's bad but it just doesn't have the same atmosphere as the first 40-50 chapters but I still read it though just for reading something lighthearted once in a while.
Nov 1, 2018 10:51 PM

Sep 2017
I have been binge reading it and honestly it falls off in the 30's once the girl with the crush on Hori disappears. Seems like the plot progression ends around there, im currently only on chapter 51 but i think im going to pause this until the manga ends.
I really enjoyed the first 30 chapters tho which is sad
Nov 2, 2018 6:16 AM
Aug 2018
T0ndo said:

same here at first it was quite good but later down the line it gets monotonous
If you only face forward, there is something you will miss seeing
Nov 3, 2018 7:44 AM

Feb 2018
It feels like everything is kinda stale atm.
Nov 27, 2018 4:14 PM
Jul 2017
I still love the chapters that focuses on hori and Izumi. I just don’t really care that much about the rest of the school kids. Every chap that’s got the dad in it I really love. So I personally didn’t really enjoyed the chapters focusing on the other kids. But they where still decent, it Just did not have the magic of the first half, where it focused on the main duo and had Some kind of drama in it.
Nov 29, 2018 12:16 PM

Jul 2013
I came looking for this exact thread. I was honestly doubting whether to drop it since I really enjoyed the first 40 chapters. After that the story went downhill for me. The plot doesn't have the continuity whatsoever. And I don't enjoy each chapter being a different story
Nov 29, 2018 2:56 PM
Sep 2015
To me it's not really getting worse it's just too short. 20 pages per month in each they focus on different friends makes it confusing (especially since they don't have ridiculous hairstyles or accesories).
Previous model of Hori-Miya and support characters was easier to read in such small amounts. Manga is rather loosely connected between consecutive chapters so focusing on too many characters makes it hard to read

PS Let's forget about fetish Hori developed out of nowhere T.T
Dec 16, 2018 8:32 AM
Apr 2018
I just binge-read it all today, and it really felt like it was going downhill after a while.

I mean, of course you cant have 100 chapters completely focusing on a single relationship, BUT the problem is that nothing is going anywhere.
Some of the chapters focus on side-characters and their relationships, yet nothing develops.
His gloomy looks just got thrown away from one chapter to another, his tattoos are still kept secret from everybody, and what about that marriage proposal? Or in general, doing things as a couple, dates, learning stuff about eachother, plans for the future (after graduation especially) or some drama. In the beginning, especially Miyamura was insecure about being a fit for Hori, and suddenly that has no relevance whatsoever. It's like everything that could lead to some development is avoided.
In general, the last 30-40 chapters were pretty irrelevant and felt like reading filler after filler. (still made me chuckle sometimes)

It feels like it turned from a romance to some comedy half-way through, completely forgetting what it was about initially.
Jul 2, 2019 12:38 AM

Nov 2012
It getting getting more and more boring with each new chapter. Heh. This manga was so good at began...
I wonder why the manga is still such a high rating?

However I'm still on chapter 97... Maybe further it is getting better?
Jul 31, 2019 10:24 AM

Feb 2012
The pacing is slow, that I admit, but it doesn't feel like it's getting worse or boring. I know some people are getting impatient about their relationship, but I like how the author is building up the other characters, too. It'll be too dull if it only centers their relationship while having 100+ chapters, so it's better this way.

Some chapters doesn't involve Hori and Miyamura too much and this results to readers anticipating the next chapter if something out of the ordinary is finally going to happen. It may just be a way to stretch and prolong the series but it certainly become one of its charms, in my opinion.

Honestly, the manga could end anytime if the author decided to do it since they're already going out and did that already, but I'm glad that it's still ongoing. I, myself wishes to see some drama to spice things up, but I don't mind reading their everyday lives in school.
slurxzzzJul 31, 2019 10:29 AM
Aug 1, 2019 11:36 AM
May 2018
I 100% agree. It felt refreshing and nicely fast-paced within the first 30 or so chapters, as we saw the couple develop naturally, but it feels like the pacing has stagnated significantly and I just don't enjoy it as much.
Aug 11, 2019 3:39 PM

Apr 2015
I don't really think it's getting worse, but I kind of don't know where this story is heading. I loved the first chapters. And I don't mind these fillers. Yes they are fun and all. But they are dragging them already for more than 40 chapters. And I can't remember if something other then typical school life happened during them. Like there could have been atleast two or three chapters that aren't completely comedic and are kind of focusing on more serious moments. I'm just getting confused that where is this going. Is this still romance? Or just slice of school life everyday which will go on like one piece and where no one ages like in pokemon? I loved this manga but now I don't really know
Aug 11, 2019 9:59 PM
Jul 2019
Agreed, it's getting repetitive, After Miyamura confessed, That's where it started going downhill.
Aug 12, 2019 2:12 AM
Jul 2018
It's very Slice of life now. I've caught up to 100 chapters (or somewhere around 90, can't remember). But like a lot of people said, it changed. Anyway, I won't be picking it up any time soon seeing as the SoL tag irritates me in some way.
Aug 17, 2019 6:44 AM

Dec 2017
I wonder why it is not over yet. The climax was 50 chapters ago and nothing goes forward ever since. It is like a slice of life now, with zero progression, no development and really forgetable chapters.
Aug 17, 2019 10:18 AM

Feb 2019
it sort of feels like nothing is really happening now, it feels kind of aimless. I think the story kinda lost its magic.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Aug 19, 2019 4:26 AM
Apr 2019
Shineee_ said:
As others said, it just changes. It depends on you if you think it got worse. As for me, I still prefer to see Hori and Miyamura romance, but focusing on side characters ain't that bad. I just miss them.

Like you said, it is highly subjective and tbh your own opinion is everything that really matters.

Personally I am not very happy about the development.

The first 30 chapters were definitely the best ones. After that it got worse but it was still good and enjoyable. The turning point was the chapter where miyamura "proposed" ( 63?). I noticed a huge quality drop (Imo) and the problem isnt the fact that it turns into 100% slice of life without any important events/story. I really like good slice of life.

The focused on the side characters but I think most of them are boring/annoying. I just dont care about them. The only interesting side characters are the prez(+ GF) and sawada. The few hori/miyamura chapters arent that much better, most of the time they are about some stupid situations and it gets kind of repetitiv. Example: Hori is afraid of male love rivals instead of the female ones and gets jealous for no reason. How many times did we see such a situation? 10 times?

Until ch 63 I would agree with the average score of 8.5+ but the rest feels more like a 3 or 4.
Aug 24, 2019 7:40 AM

May 2016
They are only lengthening it as much as they can, it should have ended long ago.
Aug 24, 2019 9:40 PM
Dec 2015
yes its so boring i dont want to read about people doing mundane activities in their daily lives like can it just end already like theres no point of continuing this it wouldve been grest if the manga ended after they got together but i feel the creators re just milking the book because it has accumulated such a large fanbase but theres no where left to go or grow in this story its finished period and they just keep on trying to continue it by doing cute little stories of shit i do irl ALL the time and iM TIRED THERES NO POINT OF READING THIS ANYMORE IT HAS NO SUBDTANCE NO MEANING NO POINT NO NOTHING NO REASON!!
Oct 31, 2019 1:43 AM

Oct 2013
Might as well just wait a few years till it's done then binge it until the end

It's not that I dislike the more SoLish approach to the manga, but the romance is left behind. Currently it's one chapter out of around 10 which has something romantic, so that's waiting pretty much a whole year just for that.

There are too many side characters that make it confusing, and it sucks waiting a month just to see a chapter about... Iura's... Sister... And her crush. Who cares about them? Honestly.

Finished reading everything that is out, will drop as I won't remember anything in a month and return in 202X to re-read everything and finish it.
Nov 18, 2019 9:20 AM

Aug 2013
Its been a good old 3-4 years since I put it on hold during 30+ chapters.
Came back a few times to check it out and it seems like its just never coming back to its roots huh.
Its a shame since it was so enjoyable during the start. T^T
Jan 9, 2020 11:05 PM

May 2015
Five years ago I thought this manga was about to end.
Jan 13, 2020 8:28 AM
Apr 2019
Around 1-40 yeah it's good, but at that time also i saw lots of plot holes they left without even bettering an attention on it. ex miyamura jumps of the fence while being seen by yuki, it was an interesting part hope they will retrieve that part but since then nothing happened. Then 70-latest it become a nichijou style with nothing but, Humour that ain't even funny, repetitive problems between hori and miyamura that happen again later on, showing the side character isn't a bad idea but what is enjoyable is if they have reasons or goal without it it's like a boring daily lives that you will never talk about because it's nothing to brag about. so far i still read but can't get the hype anymore
Jan 13, 2020 3:53 PM
Sep 2019
Dropped it. Not worth my time anymore.
Feb 7, 2020 5:28 PM

Sep 2017
I have a question, are these SOL chapters canon anyway?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Horimiya chapter amount

Volctra - Dec 15, 2023

2 by Volctra »»
Dec 15, 2023 5:52 AM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2013

22 by DENISE_DARDEN »»
Nov 29, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 44 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2014

22 by Vhailor »»
Sep 29, 2023 2:16 PM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 41 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2014

16 by Vhailor »»
Sep 29, 2023 9:41 AM

Poll: » Horimiya Chapter 2 Discussion

Insidious - Sep 13, 2012

23 by OnigirisBasket »»
Sep 25, 2023 5:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.